• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble w/ Toon Link

Rebelli0n

Smash Cadet
Just looking for some tips, my good friend plays a very good toon link, I find it very hard closeing the gap bewteen us cause his rotation between bow/arrow, boomerang, and bombs is very fast and effective. So obviously when that happens i try short hopping/powershielding, though the problem is that 9 times out of 10 tlink outranges me when i get close with his sword. I find my ZSS is fairly weak when she is above someone so i try to stay away from attacking from above. Any tips?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Just get in close and stay close. Use jab combos and dash attacks to stay on him and keep him discombobulated. As far as approaching, getting in range with Powershields is your best bet, and you can use nair and uair to approach (uair is actually pretty safe on block, considering, because you can follow up with jabs or tilts).

noradseven

Smash Lord
When in close and he is arrow canceling d-tilt ducks under them, so does crouch walk, hehehe.

Back air his face in, it beats everything but grapple and arrow, and you can predict arrow hits to have them help you hit him similar to dr.mario's pills, its more of a mind game thing, and just push him to the edge, once you do this you pretty much win.

Just keep a watch on the boomerang and be careful, it will be his turnaround, but just slip in close and beat him up, though out 1 over B's on his retreat, and keep the pressure on.

Rebelli0n

Smash Cadet
thanks ill try that, he was just building up so much damage by shooting that crap then when i got close, dash attacking/f-tilt/ or that spin thing he does which would push me back far enough that he could get a boomerang or something else to put me back to where i started

Smeh

Smash Cadet
A friend of mine plays Toon Link also, and I know what you mean about the projectiles being a problem. Instead of power shielding, try dodging them to get close and then using a jab combo followed by a dash attack. You can repeat this until he's off of the edge. In the air, try to attack him from the front, as his back air is ridiculously good. A back air from Zero Suit can usually be done faster than Toon Links forward air and has good knockback, so you can usually juggle pretty well from here. Also, if he's off of the edge and not just above you, try attacking him from below. His down air is pretty damaging, but he probably won't risk using it, because if he misses, it's basically an instant death.

noradseven

Smash Lord
A friend of mine plays Toon Link also, and I know what you mean about the projectiles being a problem. Instead of power shielding, try dodging them to get close and then using a jab combo followed by a dash attack. You can repeat this until he's off of the edge. In the air, try to attack him from the front, as his back air is ridiculously good. A back air from Zero Suit can usually be done faster than Toon Links forward air and has good knockback, so you can usually juggle pretty well from here. Also, if he's off of the edge and not just above you, try attacking him from below. His down air is pretty damaging, but he probably won't risk using it, because if he misses, it's basically an instant death.
I would be carefully about jab combo if he predicts it his d-smash will screw you up badly, the dash rules in this match but TL can neutral air it easily, I tend to have far more luck with canceling out his projectiles with over B into a hit, I find it easier to do on the land canceled arrow and just slip under the high one.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Toon Link will pretty much be camping and spmming like a madmidget, powershielding and rolling till your close enough or an aerial approach with airdoges should work to get past the spam, i prefer the latter. One you get in, ftilt and jab, anything that wont knock him to far to keep up the pressure.

Its pretty even, Toon link wont be approaching unless he has an opening which he'll use Zair/Nair or a projectile covering his butt. Predict his Zair and counter with ZSS Side-B.

Space Side-B and Dash attacks are your main mojo.

sasook

Smash Champion
If you fight laterally, this fight is gonna be tough. Tons of powershielding, shieldwalking, and SH airdodges are needed. When you get close, use quick attacks - you don't stuns as much in this matchup. Dtilt, jab, nair, sourspotted uair, that kinda stuff. Don't ever let him get under you, his uair is stupid strong. Basically, stay in his face at all times, underneath. Just be careful offstage, good TLs footstool you before dairong for a guaranteed hit.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Toon Link will pretty much be camping and spmming like a madmidget, powershielding and rolling till your close enough or an aerial approach with airdoges should work to get past the spam, i prefer the latter. One you get in, ftilt and jab, anything that wont knock him to far to keep up the pressure.

Its pretty even, Toon link wont be approaching unless he has an opening which he'll use Zair/Nair or a projectile covering his butt. Predict his Zair and counter with ZSS Side-B.

F-tilt isn't a good idea d-tilt is much better, but yeah p. much just get in close and vaporize TL I have never had to many problems in this matchup, though you got to be patient.

Also nice avatar

BRLNK88

Smash Ace

As a TL main, I can attest to pretty much all of this. I've fought some fairly good ZSS's with my TL, and I quickly learned to avoid approaching if possible, plasma whip ***** him hard.
ZSS is tall, so if I have to approach, I'll come from an upwards angle. If she uses side-B, I'll stay above it and use zair, or possibly fair. If she tries to fair me, I'll counter with nair. My main focus is to try and get under her and punish her light weight with usmash or uair, or get in close enough for bair ****. Good ZSS's I've fought avoid both, which forces me to resort to camping. A good TL will also never try to grab you unless to punish your own grab, which is even laggier.
Basically do your best to predict and punish, as the best TLs are extremely creative.

Top Bottom