• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble! Smash Ultimate Embraces Pre-Order DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Me reading ps' posts:

In fact... I see that he made his account on November 1st this year... just 5 days ago. I suspect he's just an alt for Crazy Hand 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps_

Banned via Warnings
BTW, didn't respond to this part initially because it was posted while I was writing my previous post.

You're using a 4-year-old article talking about the onset of a passion project.
View attachment 176281

Also, your claim that this one man (Michael Lelli) got it working again is incorrect.
View attachment 176283

This has been a group effort by multiple people that does, in fact, cost money to operate at a fraction of the capacity.
View attachment 176286

And here's current information on how it's doing right now: wow, look at all those issues! Here's the page to see for yourself.
View attachment 176284

And you know the best part? This would absolutely not be possible for him to completely build up from scratch with the small group of people working on this, only maintaining the absolute minimum to keep its corpse going. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the games themselves:

View attachment 176287

"There's been zero valid refutation to any point I've made." How about you read your proof first.

One guy (with the help of 2 other guys later on) developed a server that "supports hundreds of Wii and DS connections at once" without charging a dime.

Your """refutation""" to this simple fact consists of:

1. Whining about the $50 annual server cost, something absolutely anybody in the United States could afford unless they have no income whatsoever. You could charge players less than a dollar each per year to keep the server going, but Nagato's brain would have to be even smoother than yours to do this.

2. Pointing out their github page has an Issues section, something every bin page has. Trying to discredit a github project because it has a lot of user-submitted questions is like lambasting a product or service because it has a large FAQ page. This is only a bullet point because it's hilariously dumb.

3. A strange, misguided criticism of the consoles' built-in ability to store game info. This is something the Switch should have but does not, because you people will buy literally anything Nintendo squeezes out without question.

Nintendo could support a much, much larger online player count during the Wii and 3DS lifespan. They didn't charge anybody a dime either. So if the way servers operate hasn't changed, and the online service itself hasn't changed, and it's all peer-to-peer, and there's no bonuses for subscribing beyond advertising peripherals you can buy, and Nintendo could afford to give you free online for the next thirty-eight years, and your game saves are tied to your subscription fee (or the physical $300 console itself; no memory cards or save data), and it's missing basic features other console online services offer like voice chat, and the netcode is rat piss, then why are you supporting this?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

One guy (with the help of 2 other guys later on) developed a server that "supports hundreds of Wii and DS connections at once" without charging a dime.

Your """refutation""" to this simple fact consists of:

1. Whining about the $50 annual server cost, something absolutely anybody in the United States could afford unless they have no income whatsoever. You could charge players less than a dollar each per year to keep the server going, but Nagato's brain would have to be even smoother than yours to do this.

2. Pointing out their github page has an Issues section, something every bin page has. Trying to discredit a github project because it has a lot of user-submitted questions is like lambasting a product or service because it has a large FAQ page. This is only a bullet point because it's hilariously dumb.

3. A strange, misguided criticism of the consoles' built-in ability to store game info. This is something the Switch should have but does not, because you people will buy literally anything Nintendo squeezes out without question.

Nintendo could support a much, much larger online player count during the Wii and 3DS lifespan. They didn't charge anybody a dime either. So if the way servers operate hasn't changed, and the online service itself hasn't changed, and it's all peer-to-peer, and there's no bonuses for subscribing beyond advertising peripherals you can buy, and Nintendo could afford to give you free online for the next thirty-eight years, and your game saves are tied to your subscription fee (or the physical $300 console itself; no memory cards or save data), and it's missing basic features other console online services offer like voice chat, and the netcode is rat piss, then why are you supporting this?
Given your massive hate-boner for Nintendo, why the heck are you even here?!?

Bro you have a Nintendo Switch, A copy of the game, I’m assuming a pro controller / go controller with adapter, and an internet connection that will allow you to play online.

25 dollars isn’t gonna kill you chill.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Given your massive hate-boner for Nintendo, why the heck are you even here?!?
I hate paying for console online, not Nintendo.

Bro you have a Nintendo Switch, A copy of the game, I’m assuming a pro controller / go controller with adapter, and an internet connection that will allow you to play online.

25 dollars isn’t gonna kill you chill.
"you already pay $20 for online and paid for everything else bro, paying for [insert any currently free feature here] too wont kill u lmao *smonks the weed*"

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Me reading ps' posts:

View attachment 176345

In fact... I see that he made his account on November 1st this year... just 5 days ago. I suspect he's just an alt for Crazy Hand 2001.
I believe he is spunkysix from gamefaq, there is a suspiciously similar thread posted there with 300+ post trying to reason with him

I hate paying for console online, not Nintendo.

"you already pay $20 for online and paid for everything else bro, paying for [insert any currently free feature here] too wont kill u lmao *smonks the weed*"
Lol

It just so happens that I do smoke marijuana.

but if you believe that anything I said doesn’t hold weight, they’re you’re the one really smoking some ****.

Think about this logistically. You have purchased a Nintendo Switch, that’s around 350 dollars after tax. You are buying super smash bros ultimate for 66 dollars. I assume you already had a high speed internet plan to play the game, you must, otherwise this wouldn’t be an issue as those who don’t have access to internet don’t view lack of it as a problem in their socioeconomic realms–that’s besides the point, however. Let’s say you’re paying around 40 month for internet. Annually, you’ve spent nearly 500 dollars a year, and for your Nintendo online purchase for the year is 20 dollars annually.

Now the DLC package is 25 dollars. This is a one time purchase.

Not a recurring fee.

Is good for the entire DLC period

So In comparison to the potential 1,000 dollars spent this year to prepare to play a single game, this is excluding any previous titles, amiibos, or joycons that you have purchased at your discretion, that you have somehow drawn your line in the sand, for a 25 dollar fee?

Is this 25 dollars going to be a major financial dent for you over the next 2 years? I mean it would be if you worked in a sweatshop, but I’m gonna go on an angle and assume that you don’t.

Point being that I feel that considering all you have to do to play this one game, the ship has sailed on fiscal responsibility, so yes, I think this is something foolish and completely unreasonable to complain about if you’re willing to come thus far to fully enjoy the game. I don’t see how your mocking of me made me look any more foolish than you’re being, do you?

And on a side note, I’de refrain from the assumption that those who use marijuana are at a so-believed cognitive deficit developing from its use; I’m just fine, and while everyone isn’t the same, if you are smart enough to use it, you’re smart enough to inform yourself, and make decisions accordingly. It’s your level of responsibility with consumption of any substance that determines whether or not if is for recreational purposes, or you develop a codependency. At least for this case.

So please watch what you say. I can pontificate circles around mfs like you. Don’t get it twisted.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
I have a question for p s __:
In your profile it says you are 28 years old, so I expect that you have some work experience.
I don't know what you job is but your arguments strongly suggest that it has nothing to do with Software Development or IT Stuff in general.

I work for a small Software company. We only have about ~30 employes.
We have one big Fileserver hat is used for data Storage and Software Deployment - think of it like the eShop / Cloud Saves Server Nintendo is using. Add to that 2 development Servers that have multiple virtual machines running on them.

Do you want to know what the yearly cost is to run the servers? Excluding ANY maintenance, replacing defect parts and so on? Just the energy consumption itself costs this company over 20.000€ each year.

And like I said, we are a small company - we don't need nearly as much Storage Space / Uplink speed / raw server power that Nintendo does.
Also think about the hidden costs you have to calculate: Additional costs for the GDPR (better known as the DSGVO for some of us here), payment for the employees that watch over the server and so on. Remember stuff like Spectre and Meltdown? Or the Heartbleed bug? THATS the reason you need people on side to fix critical stuff like that.

You mentioned the Wii and that it had a much higher userbase. You can not argue like that - how many Games were aviable for the Wii that supported Online play? Also, the filesize for Games was much smaller (they could not even be above 256 megabytes i think?) shrinking the size of the content delivery network and the required Space for storing the games drastically.

The stuff Nintendo had offered with the Wii / WiiU was the best they could offer without taking money from people.
There is a reason why MS / Sony take money for online play, and the reason is not greed.

Also remember that there is stuff OUTSIDE the control of those companys:
+ Rising costs in general thanks to inflation
+ Rising energy costs

I realy hope that you got a better feeling for the costs a single server can produce for a company.
There is a reason why every big company is going the way of cloud service and virtual servers - the cost of maintaining an own, true server is realy, realy high.
Nintendo won't make big winnings with a 20€ per year subscription fee - its to break even on server costs.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Lol

but if you believe that anything I said doesn’t hold weight, they’re you’re the one really smoking some ****.

Think about this logistically. You have purchased a Nintendo Switch, that’s around 350 dollars after tax. You are buying super smash bros ultimate for 66 dollars. I assume you already had a high speed internet plan to play the game, you must, otherwise this wouldn’t be an issue as those who don’t have access to internet don’t view lack of it as a problem in their socioeconomic realms–that’s besides the point, however. Let’s say you’re paying around 40 month for internet. Annually, you’ve spent nearly 500 dollars a year, and for your Nintendo online purchase for the year is 20 dollars annually.

Not a recurring fee.

So In comparison to the potential 1,000 dollars spent this year to prepare to play a single game, this is excluding any previous titles, amiibos, or joycons that you have purchased at your discretion, that you have somehow drawn your line in the sand, for a 25 dollar fee?

Is this 25 dollars going to be a major financial dent for you over the next 2 years? I mean it would be if you worked in a sweatshop, but I’m gonna go on an angle and assume that you don’t.

Point being that I feel that considering all you have to do to play this one game, the ship has sailed on fiscal responsibility, so yes, I think this is something foolish and completely unreasonable to complain about if you’re willing to come thus far to fully enjoy the game. I don’t see how your mocking of me made me look any more foolish than you’re being, do you?

And on a side note, I’de refrain from the assumption that those who use marijuana are at a so-believed cognitive deficit developing from its use; I’m just fine, and while everyone isn’t the same, if you are smart enough to use it, you’re smart enough to inform yourself, and make decisions accordingly. It’s your level of responsibility with consumption of any substance that determines whether or not if is for recreational purposes, or you develop a codependency. At least for this case.

So please watch what you say. I can pontificate circles around mfs like you. Don’t get it twisted.
Mmmm it feels good to read one of your posts and agree with everything you said

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795

....but Nagato's brain would have to be even smoother than yours to do this.
Ah. I see you've lost interest in having an adult conversation.

I encourage you to continue to research what's been stated by Kadji100 and across the internet in general concerning the reality of the situation. Dig deeper and interview Michael Lelli about the true costs of his passion project. At this point, the burden of proof lies with you.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Lol

Not a recurring fee.

Where do you live that Smash Bros. Ultimate costs $66? Or the Switch costs $350?

More importantly your "dude just $20 lmao" argument (and calling that an argument is very, very generous) continues to totally ignore this basic question:
"So if the way servers operate hasn't changed, and the online service itself hasn't changed, and it's all peer-to-peer, and there's no bonuses for subscribing beyond advertising peripherals you can buy, and Nintendo could afford to give you free online for the next thirty-eight years, and your game saves are tied to your subscription fee (or the physical $300 console itself; no memory cards or save data), and it's missing basic features other console online services offer like voice chat, and the netcode is rat piss, then why are you supporting this?"
If Nintendo can fleece you for money so easily, why stop at paid online? Why not charge you a fee per year to keep your Nintendo account open, for example? Maybe they can curb piracy and third party sales, too, by making you pay $5 a year per game, or charge you money to keep your Switch's serial valid. Otherwise they all irreversibly go away and you can't use them any more, just like your game saves. Sounds great, right? It's just another thirty bucks on top of the $20, $45 and $250 you paid for your Switch bro, surely you can afford it. What are you, poor?

And "pontificate" means "to express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic". Unless you're calling yourself a pest you might not want to refer to yourself as pontificating, unless smoking oregano has truly fried every neuron in your skull.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
I don't think that this discussion will lead to anything.
You are ignoring valid input from me and the other users of this board.
Instead of using reasonable arguments you are just throwing a bunch of nonsense around.

For the last time: Its not only P2P that Nintendo is using - if you are so stubborn and think that running a server costs nothing than there is no reason to argue with you any further.
I raised some valid points about the true costs of running a Server infastructure (which Nintendo clearly has, even if you don't want to believe this) but you choose to ignore it.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
I don't think that this discussion will lead to anything.
You are ignoring valid input from me and the other users of this board.
Instead of using reasonable arguments you are just throwing a bunch of nonsense around.

For the last time: Its not only P2P that Nintendo is using - if you are so stubborn and think that running a server costs nothing than there is no reason to argue with you any further.
I raised some valid points about the true costs of running a Server infastructure (which Nintendo clearly has, even if you don't want to believe this) but you choose to ignore it.
"So if the way servers operate hasn't changed, and the online service itself hasn't changed, and it's all peer-to-peer, and there's no bonuses for subscribing beyond advertising peripherals you can buy, and Nintendo could afford to give you free online for the next thirty-eight years, and your game saves are tied to your subscription fee (or the physical $300 console itself; no memory cards or save data), and it's missing basic features other console online services offer like voice chat, and the netcode is rat piss, then why are you supporting this?"
The closest you came to answering this question was "servers could cost 20 grand a year to maintain", a pointless claim because running a server can cost anywhere from $50 a year to the price you're presently being gauged for. (Fire your accounting department by the way.)

It's doubly pointless because we know Nintendo isn't paying for grade-A servers; they heaped all responsibility onto peer-to-peer connections, where one opponent using T-Mobile's Broke-Ass ***** plan will ruin any hopes of you playing this game optimally. This has been the case since Brawl, yet Wii online (as I've mentioned countless times) could somehow afford to be free.

Even Project M could host decent-quality peer-to-peer online without charging anything. I can repeat my points a hundred times but not a single post ITT will be able to refute them. I will now charge anybody who replies to me $20 per post, because you people will clearly pay for anything.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This thread has quickly veered from the topic and has devolved into a thread with consistent flaming. Sorry but the thread will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom