• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble on Blobonia - A Boy And His Blob! Support Thread

infomon

Smash Scientist
A Boy And His Blob!!

A unique and fantastic retro character from:
  • A Boy And His Blob: Trouble on Blobonia (NES, 1990; Wii Virtual Console, 2009)
  • The Rescue of Princess Blobette (Gameboy, 1991)
  • A Boy And His Blob (Wii, 2009)
    • Re-released for PS4/Xbox/PC/iOS/Android in 2016

BoyBlob.jpg

Reboot of https://smashboards.com/threads/by-...boy-and-his-blob-for-super-smash-bros.342546/

It would be a super interesting dual-character, like Rosalina+Luma. The boy feeds jellybeans to the blob, transforming him into all kinds of things! Like a trampoline, rocket, ladder, jackhammer, pitfall-hole, balloon, bubble.... Seriously lots of random stuff, which helps you solve puzzles. The game is an adorable puzzle-platformer. There's even a button to hug the blob!!!

I just think it would really fit into the feel of Smash, sort of like Ice Climbers: retro and playful/childish.

Here's a quick IGN review of the 2009 Wii title, to give an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moi4MYums-o

It's owned by a 3rd party: WayForward Technologies and Majesco Entertainment.

I just think, Sakurai would love this character, if someone had proposed it to him!! Because it's so unique and lovable.

What do you guys think??

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I've only ever played the Wii game, but it was one of my favorite titles on the console. The idea of feeding jellybeans to the blob to make it transform is so charming, and the blob itself is one of the cutest characters I've ever seen. All of the transformations would lend themselves well to a moveset in Smash, and the fact that they're a duo makes them even more unique. I'd definitely love to see these two be playable in Ultimate!

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I support! I like these guys and my mom also really liked their original game so it would be great to see her reaction to them getting in.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Wait a sec, is this where that one comic comes from? Turns out it was a parody too. ...Huh.

Anyway, I think it's about time we got an obscure retro character. I support!

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
With Blob doing most of the fighting and the Boy focusing on staying alive, this would make for an crazy unorthodox fighter. I can totally get behind that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Boy and his blob had a sequel on Gameboy I didn't know about?

That's crazy. A sequel to an NES game on Gameboy I didn't know about... I probably would have gotten it if I knew about it

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Ah yes, the only indie characters I'd like to have in Smash.

Not only that but I also think that they could really have one of the uniquest movesets in Smash, plus I find them perfectly fitting for Nintendo's cartoon art style that Smash carries.

And yeah, as you may already tell, I am a big retro fan so I am totally down to support them, in case this thread has still a chance of being revived.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
That'd be neat, but doesn't Majesco own the character rights these days? Can't exactly see them ask about a Smash inclusion.

Oh yeah, I guess they're not indie after doing some research.

But yeah, sadly the obscurity of the franchise is a really big issue when it comes to Smash, specially for a 3rd party western videogame series.

The only thing I think would be possible to see, is a spirit for the characters, Boy and Blob. But let's face it, even something like that would have to take a lot (and I mean a lot) of fan support.

I wonder if any of their games even came out in Japan.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I guess they're not indie after doing some research.

But yeah, sadly the obscurity of the franchise is a really big issue when it comes to Smash, specially for a 3rd party western videogame series.

The only thing I think would be possible to see, is a spirit for the characters, Boy and Blob. But let's face it, even something like that would have to take a lot (and I mean a lot) of fan support.

I wonder if any of their games even came out in Japan.
Just the first two did. The remake couldn't even get that.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Just the first two did. The remake couldn't even get that.
Oh well, still better than nothing I guess.

It's interesting how the Boy and his Blob series, despite not being owned by Nintendo, were exclusive to Nintendo consoles until 2016 when the remake got ported to Xbox and Playstation consoles.

-A Boy and his Blob: Trouble Blobolonia (NES)
-A Boy and his Blob: The Rescue of Princess Blobette (Gameboy)
-A Boy and his Blob: 2009 Remake (Wii, only until 2016 when a high definition version of it got ported to Xbox One, Playstatin 4, Windows, etc).

I hope this increases their chances of getting at least a bit of representation in Smash, there's just something about these two that really screams Nintendo.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I love the Boy and his Blob they even bring back those good old days.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Are threads for 0 percent chance characters allowed?
I'm exaggerating a bit. It's filled with pipe dreams and unlikely picks, and who knows maybe this poll will bring attention to these unlikely characters. I but a boy and his blob on the list because he doesn't have enough support and backers to be a real contender for smash dlc. Would you vote for him?

Top Bottom