• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble chaining moonwalks

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You're starting the dash animation but not making it to the backwards position fast enough. Speed is everything. You want to go just barely lower than the neutral position on the joystick on your way back (just low enough not to dash dance).

Last edited:

multigrain_cheerios

Smash Rookie
I understand moonwalking and how I'm supposed to do it, but I can't seem to get the tempo correctly for chaining them together. Does anyone know the right tempo/can anyone link a video guide?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ SwiftNinjaBlackMan SwiftNinjaBlackMan Time your second dash as late as possible. Ganondorf's dash lasts 28 frames and he can dash in the same direction again from frame 21 onward, so aim to initiate the second moonwalk on frames 26-28 of the dash. However knowing the frames doesn't help much, you have to get the feeling for it.

You might also use a poor method of moonwalking, because most guides around here are dated and garbage. Here's a good method found in @Kadano 's perfect marth thread op:

There are two ways of best moonwalks:
1. Dash right for 1 frame and hold straight from the next frame on. This is only possible during the first frames of a dash and not out of a dash dance or a turn. This is because going straight right to straight left usually produces a turn, but on the first two frames turning is not possible (on frame 3, the turn is still not possible, but unlike 1 and 2, holding left will not cause a moonwalk but a turn on frame 4)
2. Dash right, then hold left/down for two frames, then move to straight left. This works out of a dash dance.
The 2nd one is the more useful one since 1. is very difficult. So what you do is dash to side, then aim to opposite diagonal notch and roll stick to the full input from the notch. Move the stick as quickly as possible. It may also help to do the dash input with a slight, about halfway input to the side, at least I find it easier.

Contrary to what @ -ACE- -ACE- pointed out and what most guides states, avoiding neutral stick position doesn't matter at all, you only need to avoid smash input to back. Conveniently the notches have x-values just below the smash turn threshold, so having the stick in the notch area for two frames makes it impossible for you to turn anymore.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If you go through the neutral position, you dash dance instead of moonwalk. So you want to avoid that. Pretty simple lol

tauKhan

Smash Lord
If you go through the neutral position, you dash dance instead of moonwalk. So you want to avoid that. Pretty simple lol
It's the old explanation that simply is not true. The smash turn (aka pivot which enables dash dancing) input requirements don't care about your inputs y-coordinates at all and the so called "neutral position" doesn't matter. You can moonwalk moving your stick on straight line from right to left with the 1st method in my previous post. Alternatively even from dd you can input straight right (255,128) on frame 1, move the stick to slightly left of center at (66, 128) and hold it there for frames 2,3 and 4 (the 4th frame for safety, I'm not sure if it's needed), and then move to straight left (0, 128) and a moonwalk is the result. Or you can input full right, release the stick to center, move it to the down-left notch and roll it to left. The last one you can easily test in slow motion and it works, though it is a poor method.

What I'm driving at is don't concentrate at avoiding neutral, because it doesn't even matter. Instead try to hit the corner notches fast.

Also before there's any confusion, I don't think there's need to learn this method if you are already good at moonwalking (like you probably) with some of the older ones. I'm just trying to be helpful to newer players and players who have trouble moonwalking with the unoptimized methods.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The first method is about as technically demanding as a super wd. Unless you plan on being able to hit that every time while "chaining moonwalks", you should avoid the neutral position. I'd be willing to say that the manner in which someone moves the joystick from left to right quickly is a matter of personal preference when the end result is a near FP moonwalk either way. Lol.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
As I said, don't fix what ain't broken. But some methods are easier to do than others, and I think it's correct to teach the easier faster methods to new players.

As a matter of fact, the advice "avoid neutral position" isn't really precise (what is neutral position exactly) and it doesn't always even result in moonwalk. For example, an input series of controlstick angles -40° -> -140° (just above right diagonal notch to just above left one) results in smash turn -> dash (which we usually call dash back). However the method I use: 0° -> -135° -> -180 gives a great moonwalk even though the input goes much closer to the center point than the previous series I mentioned. Also 0° -> -45° -> -180° doesn't work even though it's symmetrical to my method and goes exactly as close to the "neutral".

So the description is simply inaccurate, but could be easily replaced by "dash, then move your stick somewhere below or exactly the opposite sides down diagonal notch before moving it to straight to the opposite direction". It's also a lot more concrete than "avoid neutral".

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
chaining moonwalks together with any character is all about the timing of when you do the 2nd moonwalk
it has to be just at the end of the animation more or less

make sure you do a perfect waveland before the moonwalk to get maximum swag distance

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Luckily ganon is one of the easiest chars to multimoonwalk with: he has a 8 frame window for foxtrot, whereas for example with fox you need to be frame perfect with the 2nd or later iterations of moonwalk or you will lose most of your speed.

Top Bottom