• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping questions

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Foreword: I apologize ahead of time if a thread has already been made about this. If so, lock this but please put the link to this thread, though. Thx

Okay, so I keep on tripping when I'm about to start to dash (no, there aren't any banana peel items, or Diddey's Down-B, or Luigi's final smash on the stage). Why, and how, do you trip? Is it random in the same manner how the smart bomb can sometimes randomly malfunction? If you can learn how to trip--so to speak--then you can learn how not to trip. Thx now in forward.

Pengie

Smash Lord
I believe it was proven that there was a 1% chance of tripping every time you started a dash.

metaphysicist

Smash Cadet
I think there are certain things that increase the odds of a trip, and then it is random within those conditions. I played for days mostly just SEE and brawls, and I wasn't even aware of tripping. Then I started playing more competitively with people online and I trip much more frequently. I noticed I was tripping all over the place while checking out b-sticking, probably at least five times in less than two minutes.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
tripping is random.

sometimes you trip the instant you begin to walk.

it has nothing to do with anything you do or any buttons you press. let's move on.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
I believe every time you activate a dash you have a certain chance/probability of tripping. In other words, it's random. It seems like the developers method of preventing dash-dashing/fox-trotting. If you dash-dance or fox-trot, you're activating your dash a whole lot more often than normal, thus increasing your chance of tripping.

I'm not exactly sure why dash-dancing or fox-trotting would need to be prevented in the first place though, but Sakurai said himself that he was trying to close the gap between casuals and competitives in the "Iwata Asks" articles, and if he thinks removing a few techniques here and there is going to do that, I guess that's reason enough. I wouldn't think Sakurai was that stupid though, so I'm still not so sure.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Bah, Randomness to upset comptetitive play methinks >_> I never seen this happen in my 12 hour Brawl release night playing.

Yokipi

Smash Cadet
I think if you're on ice, you have a higher chance of tripping, right?

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for answering that. I've done it many times and I thought it had something to do with using the Gale Boomerang for some reason.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
im still not convinced its random. im not going to go out and find out myself, but yeah.

i play alot of snake. i use a lot of dash attacks and i pretty much never trip. 1% might be a valid statistic and it is easily possible for one to never trip for a long stretch of matches, but there are people that consistently trip every match sometimes more than once. so.... im gonna go with teh theory that if your legs are crossed/awkard position or you are facing the opposite direction as you dash it increses the chance a lot. if you are only dashing under perfect circumstances i think you will never trip but thats just my thoughts

SqueakyMetal

Smash Cadet
There is a thread for this already
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140600

let me summarize some facts
-tripping occurs when you move the controller stick quickly from the middle to the left or right (this includes just doing a simple foward smash)
-moving the controller stick slightly to the left or right will not cuase you to trip(walking and running are safe, just not dashing)
-you can avoid tripping while smashing by using the c-stick as it seems tripping only affects the controller stick
-out of the many tests(about 3000 dashes/smashes) tripping has shown about a 1% chance of happening
-tripping shows about a 3% chance on ice terrian
-these tests were done in all sorts of conditions as the tester was very precise.(this includes just dashing from the start, dash dancing, puasing the game then moving the controller stick then unpausing, and dashing on different terrain.)
-some certian moves can cuase your enemies to trip

for more in-depth info just search the thread.... its only like 20 pages

Rebel581

Smash Champion
im still not convinced its random. im not going to go out and find out myself, but yeah.

i play alot of snake. i use a lot of dash attacks and i pretty much never trip. 1% might be a valid statistic and it is easily possible for one to never trip for a long stretch of matches, but there are people that consistently trip every match sometimes more than once. so.... im gonna go with teh theory that if your legs are crossed/awkard position or you are facing the opposite direction as you dash it increses the chance a lot. if you are only dashing under perfect circumstances i think you will never trip but thats just my thoughts
I can explain this. A 1% chance is just that, a 1% chance. A random number can show 1 everytime, despite how rare that is. The reason why there may be some times where you trip really often and times you don't is based off of how a random number generator works. Computers cannot develop random numbers. They use an algorithm and a 'seed' in order to simulate a random number. This random number can very often end up being within the same range as the last one. So at some points, the seed has 1 more often than others. Everytime you run into a 1, you trip.

Tyeforce

Smash Apprentice
I think that there's a greater chance of it happening the first time you dash in a match. Almost EVERY time I dash for the first time in a match, I trip.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
THE ANSWER TO TRIPPING!!!

It's alot simpler than you all think.

When there is a character animation that results in both your feet being off the ground (without jumping) you trip.

That's right!

You trip when your feet get misjumbled.
Didn't see that one coming did ya?

Top Bottom