• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping, moreso in certain characters? The answer is maybe?

Pi

Smash Hero
Tripping Mechanics

I'm just wondering if tripping is more prominent in certain characters compared to the others.

I was recalling when me and my buddies play, one of them plays metaknight and I don't recall him EVER tripping, so I tested it and for like 5 minutes of running he wouldn't trip. I attempted on some others and they tripped within a minute of dashing back and forth. I was thinking that he might not trip since he moves by gliding, and perhaps they factored this in? So I tested with a character who also doesn't run in the normal sense, bowser. He tripped, but less often than the others.

Eventually metaknight did trip though, but I'm just wondering if anyone has done testing on this or if perhaps anyone had noticed the same thing.

I only tested this once, it was not extensive, but it's been bugging me.

So basically what I'm asking is if anyone has results that suggest certain characters trip more than others...?

I did do more testing than I posted, and the results showed (15 of two of the characters listed in my thread) there was no difference. As for the others, I just figured it would be the same for them seeing as the other two were the same. The data that I provided for them was for more of an example and a small amount of personal testing. I'll do a large number of tests tonight, however, to make the information we have now more solid, or enlighten us to some new info. I would much rather provide correct information than be right about something I said previously. =)

Edit: Thinking about it...the two characters I did the more extensive testing with were both light....I'll do some testing now.

Edit 2: I went back and I found my old testing records and I was incorrect with my above statement. The two characters I did the test with were not of the same weight (Sonic and Ike) and did have very very similar results when I did the test.

That being said, even though the results on those two were very close I still decided to run some tests on different characters based off the results you provided. I can say that there is in fact a difference in tripping based off of character (the test I did on Sonic and Ike just provided unlucky results).

It was my fault for assuming 15 each on two characters was enough of a test. First off, I thought that the difference would be more noticeable than it is and second off, the data that I got was very unlucky and did not match the results from my testing today. I really hate when people provide false information (like I did here) and because of this I am going to take the time and run tests 30 trips per character. We should have a rough number soon for each character (by soon I mean a day or two, 30 per is taking forever lol). I appreciate you guys revealing this to me, and again I apologize.

:chuckle: I guess the answer is maybe?, thanks duuuudes

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Check the main trip thread. I believe the current awnser is no, only surfaces affect the percent you will trip at (raising it from ~2% to ~3).

Although from personal experaince I find myself tripping alot with lucas, however that is probably due to staying mainly on the ground with him and using dashs/smashs.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Check the main trip thread. I believe the current awnser is no, only surfaces affect the percent you will trip at (raising it from ~2% to ~3).

Although from personal experaince I find myself tripping alot with lucas, however that is probably due to staying mainly on the ground with him and using dashs/smashs.
I've noticed that children tend to trip more. Lucas, Ness, IC, and even TLink. lol

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
I seem to trip more often with fast running characters, like Sonic and C. Falcon...

holysnap

Smash Cadet
Ok I'm almost positive that tripping percentages are different for each character. I was testing pikachu. and he hardly ever trips. And people like Falco, Capt. falcon, trip alllll the time

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Hitaku's testing showed no apparent differences in regularity of trips based on character choice. If some characters seem to trip more or less, it's probably just because.. tripping is random, and in a small sample, it's not going to manifest in an even distribution. Surface can affect the percent (~1 to ~3, to correct the previous poster), and percent damage can affect tripping caused by an attack, sometimes called sweeping.

If small-scale "testing" reveals that some characters seem to trip sooner than others, it's just because you're testing a small sample. Also, if you're going on an amount-of-time testing, fast characters will end up dashing more than slow ones, and may appear to trip more often as a result.

Understand this, people. Your "pretty sure" 's and "almost positive" 's are great, and all, but Hitaku and others have done hundreds of hours of direct testing to reach the conclusions we have now. That speaks a little more strongly than "no, it totally seems like this or that."

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Since tripping is random, it's impossible to know for sure. However, I do think some characters are more inclined to trip than others.
Actually, randomness is a pattern that is too long for humans to perceive. However, after extensive testing, we can determine the chance of it happening per trial.

Hitaku has done the testing.

ALL characters: 1%
ALL characters on ice: 3%

Blad01

Smash Lord
With Falco, i tripp almost once per match... -_-

So 1%... :/ What's exactly the 1% ? by step, 1 % ? What's the 100% ? Absurd....

Abdu

Smash Rookie
Tripping is radnom, but do certain things increase the chance? Can u trip while just walking or is it only when dashing or dodging?

JJ259

Smash Apprentice
You only trip when starting a dash. This may make it seem like some characters trip more because obviously you will dash with some characters more than others.

Zetsuei

Smash Cadet
Tripping is 100% random- although it isn't 'random'.

In everything, there is no such thing as random. It is just the effect of a series of events. In this case, every character has a certain chance of falling at any second, such as a 1:10000 chance, so every once in a while a character will fall, assuming the computer's processes choose the 1 out of the 10000. So it isnt really random, but everyone has an equal chance of tripping.

So what happened when you were fighting your friend was just an odd occurence of a series of events, nothing more, nothing less.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Actually, randomness is a pattern that is too long for humans to perceive. However, after extensive testing, we can determine the chance of it happening per trial.

Hitaku has done the testing.

ALL characters: 1%
ALL characters on ice: 3%
That's kinda what I meant. How did he get those percents anyway? Is it 1% for each step or each full animation of walking/dashing?

CorrTerek

Smash Rookie
Unless Hitaku tested a lot more than what he posted in the thread, I'm not sure how he can say conclusively that tripping doesn't vary by character. I've tested almost every character in the roster using the exact same style and number of tests that he did, and it's looking more and more likely that faster characters trip more often. I could be wrong -- more testing needs to be done -- but there's enough there to make me wonder.

I can post the results if anyone's interested...

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
I want to know, because I like to play fox and pit and I find myself tripping ALOT more with pit than with fox, also I Dash Dance (melee style) with fox all the time and I have never seen him trip while DDing.

salaboB

Smash Champion
That's kinda what I meant. How did he get those percents anyway? Is it 1% for each step or each full animation of walking/dashing?
Each time your character enters a dash (Even an interrupted one like beginning a smash using the normal control stick) you have a 1% chance to trip.

So in the long run, for every 100 dashes you begin you'll trip once.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Unless Hitaku tested a lot more than what he posted in the thread, I'm not sure how he can say conclusively that tripping doesn't vary by character. I've tested almost every character in the roster using the exact same style and number of tests that he did, and it's looking more and more likely that faster characters trip more often. I could be wrong -- more testing needs to be done -- but there's enough there to make me wonder.

I can post the results if anyone's interested...
Did you consider that faster characters... run more? And therefore should trip more in a given amount of time?

CorrTerek

Smash Rookie
Did you consider that faster characters... run more? And therefore should trip more in a given amount of time?
Re-read my earlier post, please. I tested each character the same way Hitaku did. I wasn't testing by time either, but by number of dashes per trip. Faster characters consistently tripped more often.

From what I can see, Hitaku only tested six characters before declaring that tripping didn't vary by character. That's not nearly enough.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
You're right, I must've just skimmed your post and didn't read everything you wrote. My apologies for my assumptions. I think Hitaku tested on 6 characters and posted the initial impressions, but I would guess that that was not the complete extent of his tests. I don't think I have anything to verify this other than his general standing in the community, though, so I may very well be wrong.

But I'm certainly not one to turn down additional testing or results, and I have for a while meant to do my own testing for personal verification of his results, too.

CorrTerek

Smash Rookie
Here's my personal results -- like I said, I haven't tested every character yet. But I've gotten most of them.

Bowser

1/204
1/105
1/153
1/123
1/77

ZSS

1/48
1/49
1/27
1/165
1/3
1/322

Sheik

1/22
1/10
1/106
1/84
1/151
1/71

Snake

1/281
1/6
1/57
1/238
1/119
1/48

Diddy Kong

1/291
1/42
1/135
1/11
1/82
1/47

Captain Falcon

1/29
1/56
1/239
1/212
1/175
1/53

Mario

1/37
1/142
1/126
1/12
1/172
1/26

Ganondorf

1/180
1/183
1/18
1/80
1/118
1/110

Fox

1/134
1/99
1/8
1/82
1/38
1/117

Peach

1/20
1/37
1/86
1/21
1/335
1/43

Marth

1/18
1/20
1/49
1/144
1/14
1/240

Wario

1/3
1/50
1/27
1/255
1/154
1/37

G&W

1/30
1/177
1/39
1/237
1/31
1/28

ROB

1/167
1/7
1/44
1/45
1/71
1/14

Pikachu

1/2
1/2
1/205
1/34
1/83
1/82

Charizard

1/132
1/210
1/77
1/60
1/15
1/19

Ivysaur

1/74
1/81
1/10
1/120
1/170
1/195

Squirtle

1/8
1/21
1/34
1/100
1/9
1/27

Ness

1/47
1/11
1/37
1/89
1/117
1/129

Luigi

1/50
1/82
1/59
1/12
1/24
1/104

Meta-Knight

1/74
1/77
1/47
1/33
1/62
1/47

Olimar

1/86
1/237
1/221
1/49
1/42
1/265

Yoshi

1/66
1/47
1/537
1/66
1/25
1/142

Zelda

1/6
1/147
1/45
1/616
1/213
1/22

Kirby

1/93
1/218
1/122
1/111
1/20
1/32

Donkey Kong

1/38
1/50
1/64
1/14
1/66
1/1

Falco

1/131
1/7
1/100
1/97
1/66
1/37

While the numbers really do range, it seems most of the heavy characters (DK being the sole exception) are more sure-footed, with many of the lighter ones seeming to trip at higher frequencies. My original plan was to test every character in the game, then go back and re-test say, 3 of each speed (high, mid, low) to see if I could get a noticeable difference.

However, a job change has left me with significantly less time on my hands, so I'm not sure when I'll pick it back up.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I might have some time in the near future to do some testing. I'll be sure to record my results, of course, if I get to it. I've always been a little uncertain about the 5-trips setup Hitaku posted, but I kinda assumed he probably did more tests than he posted. I think 10 would be much better in trying to get well-distributed results for reporting data.

CorrTerek

Smash Rookie
Agreed. I'd assumed that doing over 100 tests (at least five for each character) would negate any differences in distribution, but I knew that testing speedy/slow or heavy/light characters would require much larger test samples.

Other things I'd planned on testing:

Ice Climbers on ice
Stamina effect

And I think there were a few others, but I forgot. Maybe I'll remember later.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I feel like a complete tool ><

I did do more testing than I posted, and the results showed (15 of two of the characters listed in my thread) there was no difference. As for the others, I just figured it would be the same for them seeing as the other two were the same. The data that I provided for them was for more of an example and a small amount of personal testing. I'll do a large number of tests tonight, however, to make the information we have now more solid, or enlighten us to some new info. I would much rather provide correct information than be right about something I said previously. =)

Edit: Thinking about it...the two characters I did the more extensive testing with were both light....I'll do some testing now.

Edit 2: I went back and I found my old testing records and I was incorrect with my above statement. The two characters I did the test with were not of the same weight (Sonic and Ike) and did have very very similar results when I did the test.

That being said, even though the results on those two were very close I still decided to run some tests on different characters based off the results you provided. I can say that there is in fact a difference in tripping based off of character (the test I did on Sonic and Ike just provided unlucky results).

It was my fault for assuming 15 each on two characters was enough of a test. First off, I thought that the difference would be more noticeable than it is and second off, the data that I got was very unlucky and did not match the results from my testing today. I really hate when people provide false information (like I did here) and because of this I am going to take the time and run tests 30 trips per character. We should have a rough number soon for each character (by soon I mean a day or two, 30 per is taking forever lol). I appreciate you guys revealing this to me, and again I apologize.

Pi

Smash Hero
Um...so should we leave this thread open for you guys to post your results? Or you wanna make a new thread when you complete them?

Top Bottom