• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping Ftilt

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
NOTE: This is NOT an introduction thread for the move. I am well aware that it has been known for a long time. This thread is just here to discuss the move, maybe come up with some new usages, etc.

Because of the discussion about the stale-ish meta game, I figured it could help to look at some interesting moves we have.

The tripping Ftilt of Zamus's perfectly fits the ZSS description: Full of potential and advantage, but taking much time and effort to learn to pull off effectively.

Yes, just as the grotesque learning curve of Zero Suit is both our gift and our curse, this move gifts us with a tilt move that trips, without consuming the Dtilt input, leaving room for another move altogether; something none of the other characters were privileged enough to have. But just as it is our gift, it is our curse that it can be so hard to pull off consistently due to the tight area of "tilt" input that allows it to come out as a trip move, rather than just a weak (but still useful) Ftilt.

The input for this move is simple to explain, slightly more difficult to pull off as practice, and difficult more yet to pull off in an actual brawl. Do what you would do for a normal Ftilt, but tilt the control stick down slightly more. Too little, it will come out as a normal Ftilt. Too much, Dtilt. There is really no other advice to give to the execution of this special Ftilt than to practice; Practice, practice, practice. But, after all of this practice, and when we finally do land that lower Ftilt and it trips, the question remains: What can we do with it?

So far, all I know that seems to be useful is Dtilt. But then, it could have been done instead, though the extra percentage is always welcome, I just feel like there could be better. What can we do with this interesting, but under-discussed variation of the Ftilt?

Tripping Ftilt chains

True Combo
Sudo-Combo (escapable, but tight)
Move Chain (escapable)
Loose Move Chain (easily escapable, if they know what you're doing/get lucky)
MIND GAME. (Tech chase?! o_O)

Tripping Ftilt (assuming they trip) to:

Dtilt > Whatever

I'll update the list as discussion progresses.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
DFtilt also does more damage (10 instead of 7 I think) so may as well use it every time. Do you happen to know the chance it has of tripping?

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Old News..
I'm not introducing it as something new. =P I'm just making a thread to organize what we can do with it, since I'm not sure if there's anything worth mentioning.

DFtilt also does more damage (10 instead of 7 I think) so may as well use it every time. Do you happen to know the chance it has of tripping?
Fraid not. We could always experiment though. I just packed brawl to take somewhere tomorrow, so I wont be able to do it tonight. I'll see if I remember tomorrow though.

EDIT: Also, I think it's 9 instead of 7.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Yep it does do more damage, at least I have always noticed it has, it causes some weird sudo trip more like crazy enough hitstun to combo into a d-smash at 0-20%.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
It's been proven that the mid and high variations of f-tilt trip more than the low variation.
this

the weaker the hit, the better for tripping. mid-high do less damage/less knockback.

Also, it only works up to ~50%, in which case you should probably just d-tilt and follow-up. Rather than risk the whole not tripping thing, I would just do something I know will work and is safer (d-tilt is faster than f-tilt, both coming out and to end).

Top Bottom