• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping and usefulness.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Has there actually been a time when tripping has actually worked to your advantage? I know it has for me.

It stopped me from running right into death, and it's actually dodged moves.

Sign here if tripping has actually helped you.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh yeah, the five times it's helped me sooooo makes up for the over 9,000 times it didn't and actually screwed me up. The fact that you can't trip on command really hurts as well since there's no tactical way to employ it since it's random.

Browny

Smash Hater
plenty of times. ive got quite a few replays saved where a last second trip heled me dodge an attack like quick draw, zamus' whip only to get up instantly and smash them right back for the win while thier attacks end.

i dont remember a single time where ive been hit by an attack as a result of tripping. sure its messed up my approaches sometimes, but ive never been punished for it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tripping can sometimes work to your advantage since it may give you an opening to finish off opponents. However, I don't see it a whole lot.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
If it has saved you from death then it has also screwed over your opponent from getting a deserved kill.

Sure it has saved me before, but I would rather have taken the hit to learn how to avoid the attack rather than getting a random freebie.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
tripping can be beneficial alot of the time. You can time it right so that you get priority with your get up attack because of the invincibility frames. It can also be detrimental alot of the time for some people, but since I space well, I am not in that situation much.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
You know what also helps with invincibility frames? Rolling! Tripping is useless, show grace for whoever trips if ya can.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, um.. you realize that every time tripping helps someone, it hurts their opponent?

It doesn't matter how many people sign your list, because for each of those names, someone else just suffered from tripping. Tripping wasn't good in these cases, it was just bad for someone else.

zaf

Smash Lord
i have found tripping to be useful sometimes. When I'm running and i trip its obvious that your opponent is going to go right for you then and there since you are so wide open, Why not use this to your advantage and play a little mind game.

So when i am running and trip, if i got the time to do it i let them come to me. From there it is all watching your opponent and gaging how close they are and when to move to set up a move of your own. I'm not one to complain when a trip occurs unless it is dead smack in front of the opponent, but if you have the time, use it to your advantage.

Since i am Toony, i like to roll in the opposite direction, dodging their attack and busting out the bow. If i am lucky enough to roll towards them and get in back of them. I tend to do a down smash.

So try and use this to your advantage and make up a combo of your own. Don't let this effect your playing style, incorporate it into your play style

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
The OP really needs a flame shield. xD

Poor soul probably didn't know what he was getting into.
On the contrary, I started this topic to see if there was going to be a flame war of epic proportions. (Seriously.)

And, yeah, tripping is actually really helpful when you use Zelda to force someone into it. They're caught completely off-guard. :chuckle:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, the five times it's helped me sooooo makes up for the over 9,000 times it didn't and actually screwed me up. The fact that you can't trip on command really hurts as well since there's no tactical way to employ it since it's random.
Who needs to post when you can quote people :dizzy:

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
It's really a 25/75 situation as to whether tripping will help or hinder you. There's so many different situations.

Example 1: You're dashing at your opponent, he's dashing to counter you but will probably pull off a dash-attack -> u-smash attack. You trip before you reach him and get saved.

2: You trip on your way to punishing someone trying to recover. (SAKURAIIIIIIIII)

3: You trip into a forward smash.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Force tripping =/= the tripping that you intended to talk about, I'm pretty sure XD

And compared to the situations of trips, it outbeats the times that it royally screws me over to the times that it has helped me. Other times it's just "Oh, guess I won't use that" sort of thing.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Forced tripping may not necessarily be the tripping I was talking about, but it's still very useful. Has this been discussed at the Zelda forum, by any chance?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
We're absolutely not talking about HUARGH/WHARRGARBL tripping when we talk about tripping being a purely negative feature. Tripping that is caused by an attack is not baseless. That kind of tripping has a cause, the attack.

Tripping via movement is a punishment without a cause.

You can't talk about the benefits of one to prove benefits of the other.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've dodged loads of attacks. Only two times has it stuffed me up. I guess the people that stuff up because of it a lot aren't good enough?

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
This is what happens, you trip, your opponent dashes at you and then shields right next to you, you press "a" and he blocks the attacks and then grabs u and goes into a god forsaken combo
Thats wat tripping does to me, its the stupidest idea ever invented

Formless

Smash Cadet
I'd say it's helped me more than it's hurt me. I've dodged attacks when tripping. I can only count maybe two times where I've actually tripped into an attack. Most of the time I'm just running and trip when my opponent is far enough so I'm safe. It's annoying, but it's not game breaking, at least not for me.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
This is what happens, you trip, your opponent dashes at you and then shields right next to you, you press "a" and he blocks the attacks and then grabs u and goes into a god forsaken combo
Thats wat tripping does to me, its the stupidest idea ever invented

Don't push A next time. You're like the noobs I beat using only Fox's D-throw in melee.

1. I grab and D-throw
2. I jump
3. They push A
4. Drill+grab
5. Repeat.

Edit: Every tine on of you says you were helped by tripping, someone else was hurt by it.

For example..

a.) My trip dodged an F-Smash!!!
b.) People trip and dodged my F-smash!!!

a.)My opponent tripped in front of me and got me the final kill!
b.) I tripped in front of my opponent and he won the match for it.

The usefulness/punishing tripping causes is exactly 0. I call this the Conservation of Tripping.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Every time I trip, I can't ever seem to react fast enough to roll out of it, and I trip a lot. :<

Top Bottom