• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trip to Australia

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

Looks like I'm going to get the chance to visit Australia. With all the great things to see there, I really can't wait! I should be making the trip sometime in August. I know thats quite some time away, but I figured it was never too early to see if anyone would be interested in meeting up while I'm there. Brawl should hopefully be out by then and I'll probably be up for playing, though I'd prefer other activities that I wouldn't be able to do in the USA (great barrier reef is obviously first on my list lol). If anyone has any suggestions on the best activities to do, feel free to let me know. Maybe someone could run a brawl event too.

Are Shaz and Cella still around? I met them both a few years ago, and they were very enjoyable company and great folks. Spoke to Emily and Caotic a bit too, but not in real life.

Anyway, I hope I can meet some of the Australian community when I stop by, and it would certainly be awesome to see Shaz and Cella again.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Sup Kyle,

Looks like someone's pulling off a Captain Jack and Ken :)

How ambitious are you going to be with your travels? Do you plan to cover the main attractions? You're going to need a truckload of money to be zipping up and down Australia at any rate. Let's just say if you plan to go to the Reef and then visit smash community, you're probably going to break personal bests in expenditure.

Recommendations:

Scuba Diving - Cairns is like, party central and the base for most operators, but if you'd keen to see some pristine reefs, you'd best go either north or south of Cairns to Townsville (Yongala Shipwreck), Cooktown (Lizard Island). If youre going to want to scuba dive (instead of snorkel or sightsee), be prepared to pay a ridiculous amount for 3 days for certification. I paid something around $400US for a SSI/PADI certification, which included 2 days training in a swimming pool and a full day on a liveaboard ship in the reefs.

Other things worthy of mention is the outback/Red Centre (you could do a road trip from Darwin to Adelaide (I heard it was fantastic with a group), the Kimberleys and the reefs in Western Australia, Hanging out with an Indigenous Tribe, but these attractions are all spread far apart. Better do some research :) Check out Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane if you get sick of being in the middle of nowhere and want some civilization. Sydney is usually a mandatory pit stop for foreigners because it is like the Derek Zoolander of cities - It is ridiculously good looking. On the whole though, Australian Cities are almost exactly like American Cities.

If you want to visit Shaz, Cella, Emily or myself it sounds like you'll want to make a trip down to Melbourne. Although, Cella has dropped off from the scene, Emily sort of as well. But i'm sure they'd be up for something if you can get in contact with them. I can hold a Brawl tourney for you if you want. It'll be my pleasure :grin:

Happy travels!

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Sup Kyle,

Looks like someone's pulling off a Captain Jack and Ken :)

How ambitious are you going to be with your travels? Do you plan to cover the main attractions? You're going to need a truckload of money to be zipping up and down Australia at any rate. Let's just say if you plan to go to the Reef and then visit smash community, you're probably going to break personal bests in expenditure.

Recommendations:

Scuba Diving - Cairns is like, party central and the base for most operators, but if you'd keen to see some pristine reefs, you'd best go either north or south of Cairns to Townsville (Yongala Shipwreck), Cooktown (Lizard Island). If youre going to want to scuba dive (instead of snorkel or sightsee), be prepared to pay a ridiculous amount for 3 days for certification. I paid something around $400US for a SSI/PADI certification, which included 2 days training in a swimming pool and a full day on a liveaboard ship in the reefs.

Other things worthy of mention is the outback/Red Centre (you could do a road trip from Darwin to Adelaide (I heard it was fantastic with a group), the Kimberleys and the reefs in Western Australia, Hanging out with an Indigenous Tribe, but these attractions are all spread far apart. Better do some research :) Check out Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane if you get sick of being in the middle of nowhere and want some civilization. Sydney is usually a mandatory pit stop for foreigners because it is like the Derek Zoolander of cities - It is ridiculously good looking. On the whole though, Australian Cities are almost exactly like American Cities.

If you want to visit Shaz, Cella, Emily or myself it sounds like you'll want to make a trip down to Melbourne. Although, Cella has dropped off from the scene, Emily sort of as well. But i'm sure they'd be up for something if you can get in contact with them. I can hold a Brawl tourney for you if you want. It'll be my pleasure :grin:

Happy travels!
Sweet, some very good advice there Caotic, it's most appreciated. I didn't realize it was so expensive to get certified lol I'll have to see if its cheaper to do so around RI.

As far as spending money goes, I have a lot saved up from work cause it pays pretty well and I usually end up saving what I earn until I see something really good. Australia and Japan have always been the two places I've wanted to visit most. Unfortunately I can't possibly imagine seeing all the best attractions since travel would be way too much money lol I'll have to be prepare well.

A brawl tournament sounds good to me! Thanks so much for the offer. Of course, for all we know brawl won't be out by then LOL in which case melee would still be fun. From what I've read on Melbourne it would certainly be worth a visit. Hopefully I can meet you guys while I'm there and we can do some fun stuff. One day of smash would be fine by me too lol.

I'm not sure how to get in touch with Shaz Cella or Emily. Do they have IM?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
MSN - cella_lina@hotmail.com, ddrmaniac13@hotmail.com

I caught up with Cella, shes happy to know youre coming and will try to organize something when you pop over... she says thx for the heads up ^^

oh - hopefully i can take a weekend and go with you to the reefs - i love traveling and ill also take ya town as well with the others perhaps :) itll be awesome

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Sounds great! The smash community is so awesome. I already can't wait until August haha can't wait to see all of you.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
If you end up down adelaide give us a yell and ill organise SA best smashers for a meet up.

Also check events like V8 supercars, Royal Shows etc, probly find something worth going too.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
****! Fly from Feb 1... This would have been perfect for Adeliade in January... $19.95!!

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Those flights are amazing lol thanks for letting me know guys. I'll end up saving a fortune!

unknownforce

Smash Lord
This thread got kind of buried, but August is getting closer and closer (I can't wait!)

I know it's still some time off, but it looks like I'll be in Australia Aug 5th-17th. I'm still not sure where I'll be and when, but I'm starting off in Melbourne, and I'll be making my way to the great barrier reef and to Sydney, at the very least.

And to top it off, Brawl is finally out! It seems to have mixed reactions, but so far I have found the game enjoyable (and so far, tournaments haven't been campfests as predicted by some; yay!) I've only had the game for a few days but I'm already looking forward to any tournaments.

Now I just need to get certified for scuba diving before I visit.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'm going to have to coordinate this with my Japan trip! Fly from Cairns to Osaka, ossu!!

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Wow, only a month from now and I'll finally be in Australia!

How's everyone been doing? I'm afraid I haven't played all that much Brawl and my impression of the game is... Not sure? But yes, I can't wait! I figure now would be a good time to make plans with everyone.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Do you need housing in Melbourne and Sydney? Have a detailed itinerary yet? fyi Melbourne has a Smash Tournament on August 17 and we also have a Smash Ski Trip on 23-24-25 August (although I don't think you would stretch your holiday out that long would you?)

I think Emily said Cella was eager to catch up with you, wub <3

kupo

Smash Lord
Heyas Kyle! Good to see that you're still coming!

Yup. Cella was keen on catching up. I'll just have to keep pestering her to come to meets and stuff!

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Great! I can't wait to see Shaz and Cella again and meet the rest of the community for the first time! I remember we spoke over IM a long time ago Emily and you were really nice, and Caotic is clearly amazing for all the help he gave me (and for offering housing back when I was trying to make it to OC2!)

I should be all set for housing at the moment. My family is going to come along too, since I mentioned the trip to them months ago and my siblings are also huge fans of the country. As such, I believe hotel arrangements have already been made, but thanks again for the offer!

Edit-

Just got all the info.

I'll actually be getting in on the 4th, but very late! Staying in Melbourne for a few days and touring the coast. On the 9th, I'll head to the barrier reef (Carins, to be specific) After that, I'll be in Sydney from the 13th-17th, and touring the Blue Mountains on the 14th.

The ski trip sounds great, but I wouldn't be able to extend my trip sadly.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
cool aus is absolutely gr8.. just go to sydney harbour and the opera house and the reef...

Top Bottom