• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TRIP. - My Pokemon Trainer Video Thread 5 NEW VIDS!!(Updated 08/14/08)

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
Hi names Trip.
Let me know what you think. I will try to be adding videos regularly.
Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks.

08/03/08 This is just a friendly.

I know I am not the best.
I know I need to roll less. (although I argue that rolling ISNT that punishable in brawl if spaced properly.)
Oh and the Vinewhip at 2:15 was supposed to be a Razorleaf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MmjAM8lM8g (VS Sheik)

08/08/08 Netfragz Smash

Watch for Eternal Strikers Ken Combo on the first stock.
There arent many of us playing because my PT couldnt hang.
He really helped show me a lot of flaws in my PT game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vluYoBSlbcg&feature=user VS Eternal Striker (Marth) NEW!

08/14/08 Smash at 4am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBz4FzTaZpw (VS Ike) NEW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz9es-24vFA (VS Ike) NEW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkJ0rWSNRyI&feature=user (VS Sheik) NEW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qc8fdqN8QY (VS Sheik) NEW!

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Either I'm blind, or there isn't a vid.

[My money goes to the blind part]

Ah, there it is.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Well there really isn't much I can say considering your opponent was a lot worse than you.

You'll find that leaves don't lead into jack when people don't get hit by them. =(

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
Ok, a few tips:

Use tilts more, Utilt and Dtilt weren't used at all, I think you were mashing away at Neutral A.

Don't pull off anything risky, the Vine Whip in mid-air left you open for punishment, don't know why Sheik didn't capitalize on that.

Use Fsmash after Bullet Seed, it might not hit, but if it does, it'll help add-on damage and maybe give you a chance at edge-guarding.

I'll leave you with that for now.

SonicFire

Smash Apprentice
He's not calling you bad, but if you really want us to help, you need to have a better opponent.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
He's not calling you bad, but if you really want us to help, you need to have a better opponent.
Agreed.

Its just I have watched every PT vid theres worth watchin, including EGALE's and his opponents could have been better too.

Anyways thanks for all the advice. I will attempt to post some better vids soon.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Good fight, you dominated almost all the match, by the way, at 1:46, does ivy's Nair outprioritazes sheik's Fsmash???

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Yeah I need better vids of my own. It's kind of hard when I don't have the tech though.

Your Ivy is actually a lot like mine, though a lot heavier on the jabs.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
I always thought it was a little slow and risky. I usually end up getting my face mashed in by Peach's *** and the like.
I did too.

But in melee I played a very aggressive Icys. Lots of wavedashed jabs. Lots of jabs to grabs.

Anyways I love jabs. I love to poke and pressure someone into making a mistake and an opening.

So inevitably I would jab a lot on reflex with Ivy and his jab beats a lot of stuff or you can easy jab to grab if you are quick.

I also would like to note that the jabs hit box seems to be Ivy's whole body. I have hit with it when people have jumped over me and were behind me.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'm impressed, you look better than me. I don't fight at that calliber becasue let's face it, I'm a lazy ***. I like your skills with Ivy and with Charz. But I want to ask, what do your skills look like with Squirtle?

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
I'm impressed, you look better than me. I don't fight at that calliber becasue let's face it, I'm a lazy ***. I like your skills with Ivy and with Charz. But I want to ask, what do your skills look like with Squirtle?
I am working on getting more vids up soon. =)

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
The Sheik you played was very... defensive, she didn't try to get close and start combos until you came with charizard. Your Ivy was good, lots of razor leaves, but a very good come and get some style that overwhelmed the sheik.

My advice is that you try and be more suttle with ivy's Uair. It works best when you wait for them to come close to the ground before you jump up and explode them. You can also use the Usmash slide with Ivy to do the same thing, but I feel that you have more control over the Uair. Your Charizard was ok, you need to play more defensively though.

Ivy 6/10
Charizard 4/10

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Pichu Sensei for some very solid, very constructive criticism. I have some new friends that I have been playing with that are waaay better opponents, so expect some vids soon. The one rough thing is that i have been having to resort to DDD and ROB to hang. My PT got worked, but I am excited because it is forcing me to take it to the next level.

Highlight of my day even tho the matchs was too long to save, was tether-edgegaurding marth all day long. =)

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
That actually stops working because he can drop down far enough to swat Ivysaur and still grab the ledge anyway. =(
I obviously attacked, second jumped attacked then Tethered.

To be specific it was running of the ledge Razor Leaf, to seond jumped Nair, then tether. Thats what it was most of the time. Nair to Dair is fun to when the Nair doesnt throw them away. Another thing I stumbled upon was Running of the ledge Razor Leaf to Dair, then used second jump to Bair then Tehter.. The dairs momentum cancel gave the feeling of being off the ledge for a very long time.

Negativity is not pleasant.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
2 vids up now!!

Gay timeouts on Youttube slowing me down.

EDIT*

#3 is up.

Edit again*

#4 is up.

Edit X 3*

#5 is up. You dont want to miss me getting ***** by Eternal Strikers Marth. =)

Yaay for 5 moar new vids.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
For that marth vid:

Ivy: Shield Grab, Ftilt more
Zard: Use Flamethrower more, it's a great move.
Squirtle: You can chain Fairs at lower percents, do so. Also, stick to the ground more against Marth and use the AAA jab combo more. It's faster than any move he has.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
For that marth vid:

Ivy: Shield Grab, Ftilt more
Zard: Use Flamethrower more, it's a great move.
Squirtle: You can chain Fairs at lower percents, do so. Also, stick to the ground more against Marth and use the AAA jab combo more. It's faster than any move he has.
Yeah, good advice. I figured some of this out threw out the day as him and I played.

Also I think that Marth is a hard match for Ivy because a good one doesnt give a crap about Razor Leafs. Eternal Striker Faired almost every one I sent at him. Which lets him approach completely safely.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
Jeez did nobody even watch any of my vids? The advice of just the first one helped a lot so I was really hoping to hear moar from you guys.

THERE ARE 5 NEW VIDS IN THE FIRST POST!!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
that marth is just insane. i'm not sure if airdodging his combos would help, maybe then he'd just adjust and follow with a dair spike or something...with ivy you could dodge to uair if you get under him maybe, it'd also push you away from marth. ivy's bair outranges everything but has pretty horrible damage output...i'm not sure how it fares when marth fairs at it.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I really like your playstyle; it reminds me of mines. I'll comment on the Marth vid for now.

Marth seems to be Poketrainer's worst match-up; he has the speed of Squirtle, the range of Ivysaur, and the also range/power of Charizard when he tippers his moves. Charizard's the best of the 3 against Marth so you should start off as him. You're going to want to play with extra defensiveness as Charizard with your tilts/jabs, flamethrower and rock smash, which you can do since Marth has no projectile.

Squirtle is the worst against Marth so to prevent him from staying out too long you have to switch out of Charizard on your first stock. A down-throw at mid-high percents should give you enough time to switch. At this point just focus on getting a down-throw, up-smash, or a fresh aerial on Marth with Squirtle so you can switch to Ivysaur. Shellshift to any of these or just forward hydroplane.

I'll post the rest later, I can't type anymore on my PS3 browser.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Agreed.

Its just I have watched every PT vid theres worth watchin, including EGALE's and his opponents could have been better too.

Anyways thanks for all the advice. I will attempt to post some better vids soon.
yeah I've been watching a lot of videos too, but your opponents weren't slouchy. They did present some challenge. Though there are some Zeldas, Toon Links, Peaches and Samuses that will rock your gameplay. Though don't give up. You play PT really well. I hope to improve my game a lot.

Jeez did nobody even watch any of my vids? The advice of just the first one helped a lot so I was really hoping to hear moar from you guys.

THERE ARE 5 NEW VIDS IN THE FIRST POST!!
I saw them, but posted mainly on the youtube videos what I thought of them.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
I really like your playstyle; it reminds me of mines. I'll comment on the Marth vid for now.

Marth seems to be Poketrainer's worst match-up; he has the speed of Squirtle, the range of Ivysaur, and the also range/power of Charizard when he tippers his moves. Charizard's the best of the 3 against Marth so you should start off as him. You're going to want to play with extra defensiveness as Charizard with your tilts/jabs, flamethrower and rock smash, which you can do since Marth has no projectile.

Squirtle is the worst against Marth so to prevent him from staying out too long you have to switch out of Charizard on your first stock. A down-throw at mid-high percents should give you enough time to switch. At this point just focus on getting a down-throw, up-smash, or a fresh aerial on Marth with Squirtle so you can switch to Ivysaur. Shellshift to any of these or just forward hydroplane.

I'll post the rest later, I can't type anymore on my PS3 browser.

See now here is what confuses me a bit. I know that Squrit should not be how I want to play against Marth, because of range issues and how easy he is to KO and Gimp. But The Squirt is who I am most comforable playing against Marth for a few reason.

#1 Evasion. He is the fastest and smallest and his AT give him a lot of ZiP!!. And to be honest Zard and Ivy really do just feel like a punching bags since Ivy is mid sized and floaty and Zard is huge and heavy.

#2 Squirt is fast enough to counter. I dont feel like i can capitalize with Ivy and Zard like i can against Marth.

anyways there is my two sense.

I do better against lower tier. (dont we all? lol) and I have 2 moar vids versus a Ike and 2 moar vids versus a Sheik.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about my last post. I was pretty much just writing about my strategy against Marth, instead of commenting on your videos. So yeah, disregard it except for the 1st sentence.

Your Poketrainer in general is really good; I couldn't spot anything you did wrong except for a few little things. With Charizard, don't approach with rock smash unless your opponent is far enough away that he/she can't shieldgrab/punish you. Rock smash is a move that should mostly be used defensively, or for punishing moves with long ending lag. Speaking of ending lag, Charizard's short hop down-air has way too much of it; you really shouldn't use it on-stage unless you full hop it, which only works on taller characters.

Nice use of forward-smash with Squirtle, and neutral-air into bullet seed with Ivysaur. I didn't notice anything wrong with either of these Pokemon, but try to incorporate Water Gun into your game with Squirtle, especially against Ike.

By the way, I expect an epic PT ditto set from you at Axis. =]

Toby.

Smash Master
Marth is a horrible match up for the turtle because of his 0-death grab release -> spike combo. Furthermore, if marth is spacing properly its extremely hard to get past his disjointed hitboxes to actually do anything. The fact that squirtle is fast is a boon, but he is really outclassed here if the other guy knows what he is doing. He generally wont be throwing up attacks laggy enough for you to get that zip into action.

At the same time though, I think it's cool that you're trying with squirt anyway. We won't find ways around marth unless we have people pitting themselves against him.
:)

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
@ Adriel = Dont say sorry. All your feed back was relavent and I am grateful for it. And you make some valid points about Mart.

@ tcranter = Thanks, I try. I really think that Squirtle gets his legs cut out from under him too much and isnt given enough credit by us PT mains. Everytime you talk to another Characters Main they complain about Squirt a lot. Like those recent Olimar mains.

Anyrate mad <3 For Squirt and thank you everyone for the feedback.

Does anyone thing that I have improved at all from the first vid with the Sheik?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Hey one of my videos shows up under related videos for your first video! <3

*Re-watching that one*

You're getting better, but I think some of those Ivy Nairs need to become lag-canceled Fairs.

Side note: You used grab release -> Dtilt in that last video (Charizard). Grab release shenanigans are like my favorite thing. =D

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
Hey one of my videos shows up under related videos for your first video! <3

*Re-watching that one*

You're getting better, but I think some of those Ivy Nairs need to become lag-canceled Fairs.

Side note: You used grab release -> Dtilt in that last video (Charizard). Grab release shenanigans are like my favorite thing. =D
Yeah I really love them too.

With Zard the grab release to D-Tilt and with Squirt I like to Grab Release to Jab Jab and if the seond one trips them I like to regrab and repeat.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
you do need to air dodge more often. It's okay to Roll dodge, but not when you abuse it. Charizard is more of a grabby character, Abuse his long range and tilt more with zard. Bair is used for killing and Fair is used for killing and Gimping. Use D-tilt to kill, and Try to anticipate their moves. Ivysaur's Air attacks are better then they look. Nair is a GREAT COMBO starter. I've done a Nair to Ftilt to Bair to nair to BS combo before. D tilt with Ivysaur, great spacing move. And I tend to use Ivysaur's Projectile for a more aggressive use, but that's just me. Overall decent PT

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
you do need to air dodge more often. It's okay to Roll dodge, but not when you abuse it. Charizard is more of a grabby character, Abuse his long range and tilt more with zard. Bair is used for killing and Fair is used for killing and Gimping. Use D-tilt to kill, and Try to anticipate their moves. Ivysaur's Air attacks are better then they look. Nair is a GREAT COMBO starter. I've done a Nair to Ftilt to Bair to nair to BS combo before. D tilt with Ivysaur, great spacing move. And I tend to use Ivysaur's Projectile for a more aggressive use, but that's just me. Overall decent PT
Thanks.

Only thing I disagree with is D-Tilt. I honestly think I could never use that move again and be fine. It doesnt really set anything up.

And man o man me and and Eternal Striker had a rematch today, or rather about 50 and I cant wait to upload the vids.

Top Bottom