• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tricks of the Trade

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
really?

ive personally never seen someone tech a dtilt.
maybe its only because i use it at lower percentages or something >_>

also another thing is that dtilt stretches quite far off the edge so you are probably too far away to tech it most of the time.

with fox dair i use it when they are hanging on the edge... do "fox pillaring" at the edge <shffl dair, shine, shffl dair> and it forges them to get up, and counters most ledgehop attacks and getup attacks <makes them either jump or roll>
Your oppenents must suck >.>

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Man, I've been wondering about why I was getting hit out of my rolls for the longest time. Thanks Forward!

audreyh

Smash Ace
wouldn't it be nice if we got all these 'tricks of the trade' in one post? since no where is it collected in one post.

maybe add somethin like the isai drop and the marth trick

the marth trick isn't all that important but the platform drop is a must

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
You don't need the C-Stick for anything in this game... come on America let's get some tech skill going here, because it appears that Japan is rapeing us right now. And idiots (not u Forward) still insist that you need to use the C-Stick at high levels even though people like Isai never touch it (from what I hear).

I guess you can do that, nothing I haven't thought up before though...

Cool that you use jab cancels, that was worth making this thread alone, so nice job on that one.

And wtf at lasering someone on the ground and then follow up with a forward smash being "a secret". I do that more than anyone and have been for a long time

And really hope you aren't talking about you being the first to implement ledge hoped double lasers...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You don't need the C-Stick for anything in this game... come on America let's get some tech skill going here, because it appears that Japan is rapeing us right now.
LOL, the only techy player in Japan is bombsoldier. I have a numerous japanese vids from 06 (thanks to someone who gave me links to japanese sites) and I don't see any impressive tech. I'd say the person who comes after bombsolider would be Thunder...and Chillins Fox is much more "techy"... Also, players like Masashi (doesn't short hop) and Aniki (doesn't wavedash) don't do any fancy techs. Japan is supposively known for better mindgames, not tech.
Also, yes, you can choose to not use the C stick but the C stick is obvioiusly better to use in almost all situations.

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
You don't need the C-Stick for anything in this game...
it can be useful in aerial combat, especially off the stage. [ie. if you ever try to dair (possibly meteor smash or spike) someone, using the contol stick may cause you to fastfall to your DOOM!!] and also the c-stick is faster so you can hit smashes and aerials without any possible interference.

You don't need the C-Stick for anything in this game... come on America let's get some tech skill going here, because it appears that Japan is rapeing us right now. And idiots (not u Forward) still insist that you need to use the C-Stick at high levels even though people like Isai never touch it (from what I hear).
Sorry,but you fail...The C-stick is good for:

Fast uncharged smash attacks

Good for ariels(Especialy Uairs)

Short Hop Ariel ttacks

Angled smash attacks

Wavedash>Smash attacks(WaveSmash)

So how is it anywhere near useless??

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
FoxandFalco: Bombsoldier is obviously much more tech skilled than any pro in the US. Brown Mario has much more tech skill than our pro Marios. Korius has more tech skill than our Marths, and supposedly he has gotten much better. Mikael is obviously more tech skilled than our Peaches... the list goes on. I heard Xelic is a beast though...(never seen him play) Captain Jack is also undoubtedly the most tech skilled Shiek out there. Fumi is supposedly the god of Yoshi tech skill from the sounds of it in the Yoshi room... Seriously, why would you say that?

Blood Falcon: ... It won't cause you to fast fall to your doom if you know what you're doing/have the tech skill to pull if off. The C-Stick is only faster when you "buffer" commands. Otherwise it will always be quicker to get to the joystick and 'A' button.

Oh and Eternal Phoenix Fire... lol. Not only are you off topic, but I can do all that stuff in my sleep with the 'A' button and joystick... and most of that would be done quicker than what you can do it with the 'C' stick, with the exception of the "buffer" commands, which I would only be like a frame behind maybe... Not to mention that you forfit any chance you had at conducting an educated argument by using the words "fail", "phail", or any combination of the two.

Oh and Eternal Phoenix Fire... lol. Not only are you off topic, but I can do all that stuff in my sleep with the 'A' button and joystick... and most of that would be done quicker than what you can do it with the 'C' stick, with the exception of the "buffer" commands, which I would only be like a frame behind maybe... Not to mention that you forfit any chance you had at conducting an educated argument by using the words "fail", "phail", or any combination of the two.
Um,you are off topic as well,and it doesn't matter that you can pull those things off,that doesn't mean that you still don't suck.

And yeah,everyone plays diffirent,because no one plays according to your repitior doesn't mean that the C-stick is usless.

And not to mention that you also failed at conducting an educated argument,because you gave no good reason why the C-stick isn't useful,you just don't use it,that doesn't mean it's not useful,and saying that Isai doesn't use it doesn't contribute towards your argument,nor does it mean anything.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=930051

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
WTF Perhaps that is because I didn't say that the C-Stick is useless. Learn to read, jesus. And since when did I start sucking? WTF Have you played me?

And you got me off topic to begin with.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
FoxandFalco: Bombsoldier is obviously much more tech skilled than any pro in the US.
uh huh, I argee
Brown Mario has much more tech skill than our pro Marios. Korius has more tech skill than our Marths, and supposedly he has gotten much better. Mikael is obviously more tech skilled than our Peaches... the list goes on.
What tech is there that they do they we do? Mario, Marth, and Peach all have such simple tech games :laugh: You obviously haven't seen Green Mario and MikeyG (I'm not even going to mention a Marth player, Marth has 0 tech). I mean, I've seen there vids and spoke to Ken/Mana (who have played them not to long ago)...nothing I haven't seen before, just good mindgames.
Captain Jack is also undoubtedly the most tech skilled Shiek out there.
Captain Jack is European....
Fumi is supposedly the god of Yoshi tech skill from the sounds of it in the Yoshi room...
And Zelgadis is supposively the god of Fox in the Fox room xD

We're talking about Japan as a whole, not 10 people.

The Japanese theirselves say America is all about tech and being flashy >_> (which is an insult)

WTF perhaps that is because I didn't say that the C-Stick is useless. Learn to read, jesus. And since when did I start sucking?
Well,according to ths post below.....

The one above shows you know nothing..

Oh and Eternal Phoenix Fire... lol. Not only are you off topic, but I can do all that stuff in my sleep with the 'A' button
So what if you can,that just prooves you know nothing,because you can use them against some of your friends or friendly game store tournies doesn't mean your good,and most of the poeple who say this usualy suck.

Quit saying how well you can do the techs,because that wont get you any praise at a tournament,nor from anyone on these boards.Go to a tournament,show us how godly your skills are,then you can say something,otherwise, just shut the hell up and learn.

Arj

Smash Apprentice
XLR is a complete idiot, thread closed.

Wtf does C-Stick have to do with Tech skill? And you sure don't need it, but I don't see how that even relates to your rant about Japanese having more tech skill.

forward

Smash Champion

I guess you can do that, nothing I haven't thought up before though...

Cool that you use jab cancels, that was worth making this thread alone, so nice job on that one.

And wtf at lasering someone on the ground and then follow up with a forward smash being "a secret". I do that more than anyone and have been for a long time

And really hope you aren't talking about you being the first to implement ledge hoped double lasers...
It's all about preference. It doesn't matter if you need it or not, if you can do something better with the c stick why wouldn't you? Because a top player doesn't use it? Because some random nutsack says it isn't tech? lol, jeezus

If I wasn't the first one to double laser than please tell me who was.

And since when did I start sucking?
When you never proved you were good.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
I have often though about looking at my opponent's controller in order to see what they plan to do (only in certain situations such as chain-grabbing and techchasing of course). Although I do find it quite hard. I once tried looking at my friend's controller while I was techchasing him with my Bowser, and it actually worked until he caught me and kicked my ***. But I think that was because Bowser's techchasing is much slower than other characters.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Sure, you don't need the c-stick, and there are lots of good players who don't use it. However there's plenty of high level players who use the c-stick. You don't have to use it if you don't want to. Don't completely ignore the fact that there are reasons to use it, and not just for smash attacks. The C-stick makes a lot of things easier to do.

And if Japan is ****** us now, we need mindgames, not tech skill. We have tech skill here. Lots of Japanese have styles that are effective, not flashy. What makes them effective is their mindgames.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
The instant double jump and plaform attacks are easily picked up by watching a vid or too, that's how I picked it up back when I started playing competitively >.> it's not just a pro thing, any noob who's a seen a vid should know this. Bah, oh well, I still love this thread.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
The best posts in this thread.

"Forward is the best American Falco."

"Captain Jack is European."

"You don't need the C-stick for anything in this game."
(Peach floating forward and still using Bairs.)

"Korius has much more tech skill than our Marth's."

This thread brightens my day, literally.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
forward, you wavedash backwards off to ledgeguard right? (of course you do) if you press down (quickly) right as you are sliding off, you like, get "sucked" down onto the ledge (fast fall to ledge grab). nothing new, i had just been fooling around with marth the other day and realized the difference in the speed of the ledgeguard between pressing down and not pressing down, with any character.

and *pound* @ the instant double jump, i do that all the time. sometimes it gets me killed if i get knocked off the ledge after doing it tho.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
another trick a lot of people use but isn't really talked about is if you want to land on a platform then fall through it quickly, do an attack and l cancel it and you'll be able to fall through as soon as the landing lag ends, if you just land on it normally your character has to stand up completely before they can fall through the platform.

audreyh

Smash Ace
another trick a lot of people use but isn't really talked about is if you want to land on a platform then fall through it quickly, do an attack and l cancel it and you'll be able to fall through as soon as the landing lag ends, if you just land on it normally your character has to stand up completely before they can fall through the platform.

yes, lcanceling then dropping thru is one way to fall thru the platform fast. but ur second statement is not quite complete.

Its true if you simply jump and land on a platform you must wait for the standing animation before u can fall thru, but there is a way around this. If you rotate your control stick forward then down, you can fall through without having to wait for the landing animation. I think this has to do with the fact that you're allowed to start dashing immediately when you land on the platform. (isai drop, no wonder he's so quick on the platforms)

Jbutker

Smash Cadet
Jump??With the C-stick??How.

And not related,Long Beach Calfornia FTW!!^^
while holding L/R, left and right on the stick will roll on the first available frame, down will spot dodge on the first available frame, and up will jump out of the shield on the first available frame. Doing these during L-cancels is what they mean by buffering. Now, idk if you can sh or only full hop or what but i know you can jump out of the shield.

forward

Smash Champion
"Forward is the best American Falco."
I was the highest ranked Falco at OC2 :p

forward, you wavedash backwards off to ledgeguard right? (of course you do) if you press down (quickly) right as you are sliding off, you like, get "sucked" down onto the ledge (fast fall to ledge grab). nothing new, i had just been fooling around with marth the other day and realized the difference in the speed of the ledgeguard between pressing down and not pressing down, with any character.

and *pound* @ the instant double jump, i do that all the time. sometimes it gets me killed if i get knocked off the ledge after doing it tho.
Ya I do that too, so many tricks everywhere I wonder what this list will eventually look like.

Regarding the Isai drop: So I just tested it out. I knew that the standing animation lagged you, and you could cancel it by walking, I just never realized how it easy it was for the stick rotation. Good ****.

The instant double jump and plaform attacks are easily picked up by watching a vid or too, that's how I picked it up back when I started playing competitively >.> it's not just a pro thing, any noob who's a seen a vid should know this. Bah, oh well, I still love this thread.
That's true, but not all noobs do know this. When it comes to platform attacks, they only seem to do so when they get put in that situation, it never appears to me like they intentionally wanted that situation.

You ever read something that you already know but it still kinda strengthen your knowledge about whatever it is? That what I'm hoping some of the more common tactics I've put in here will do.

And first post updated.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
You were the highest placing American Falco at OC2?

Wow, congrats that's quite an accomplishment. :)

However, I don't think that automatically confers that you are the best, based off of one tournament.

Perhaps you had an easier bracket/pools then some other people, but perhaps you didn't, who knows.

It certainly means you have a lot more crediability and respect then you did before hand.

But I think to automatically confer that you are the best is a bit much don't you?

Edit:
I just went back and looked at the OC2 bracket on Ken's site, and it definately has PC Chris placing further along then you did. I don't know if that's the truth or not, but that's what it's showing.

Edit Edit:

Also so I'm not just spamming this thread, I think you should add the Isai Shield Drop which consists of dropping through a platform while maintaining your shield up.
You have to basically flip the control stick down, but not so much as to spot dodge. Nifty.

forward

Smash Champion
You were the highest placing American Falco at OC2?

Wow, congrats that's quite an accomplishment. :)

However, I don't think that automatically confers that you are the best, based off of one tournament.

Perhaps you had an easier bracket/pools then some other people, but perhaps you didn't, who knows.

It certainly means you have a lot more crediability and respect then you did before hand.

But I think to automatically confer that you are the best is a bit much don't you?

Edit:
I just went back and looked at the OC2 bracket on Ken's site, and it definately has PC Chris placing further along then you did. I don't know if that's the truth or not, but that's what it's showing.
PC used Fox the entire tournament I don't think he used Falco at all. And in our match he used Fox against me not Falco.

So of all people using Falco as their main for the tourney I ranked the highest (unless that random japanese guy who used Falco ranked higher, don't think so tho).

I think people who would say I'm the best just like my style. Falco is a flashy character, and I probably use a style that to some people looks the best/coolest. Although some may say I'm the best, I'm sure they are aware of the other good Falco players and are just saying it as support.

Wuss

Smash Champion
probably already said, but the problem with the listening for the controller, is that at an enormous tournament, there are so many clicks and button mashings that its hard to tell what came from your oppenent, and what came from that random noob in the corner. Just saying...

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
wow people sweat foward...but then again i am posting here thanks for the tips

I listen to player's controller as well (very obvious when they are jaming c-stick)
more effective is "accidentally" bumping them personally...or trying to make them laugh

forward

Smash Champion
Yo: This is NOT Forward, this is Blind/HonorBound on his account.

Sean is easily one of the best Falcos in this country. THE best at one character is almost never an absolute since there are differences in playstyle, but he proves himself consistently against some of the best. He's just sharing some things that he doesn't see many players do and wants to contribute. How is he supposed to know some dude made a thread once? There's so much crap to wade through in MD that I don't blame him for not bothering to search. And people still don't use half these techniques, so it's better that they come from the mouth of a pro who can actually give decent examples and show results.

Forward has been playing this game for ages, and has developed his playstyle over years of practice. He's also put his mind towards finding new things, and I can almost guarantee that if you come up with a trick, he knew it before you did.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Instant Double Jump. Ok now, I'm sure a lot of you are aware of this, and probably do it, but just in case, here it is. Jump, and then use your double jump as soon as you leave the ground. Doing this you get a jump that is higher than your short hop, but slightly lower than your full jump. Another use of this is to stop your momentum of running forward and jump. If you want to run in, and jump straight up, this is the way to do it. I don't ever see people discussing this or giving it a term so that's why I put this in here. It's especially useful for Falco, Link, Ganon, etc.
Also especially useful for any character with a double jump cancel, because they can then cancel the double jump very low to the ground with an attack, fast fall, l cancel. This is already well known, but you made no mention of it in that post.

Top Bottom