• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Translation of Fanmitsu Brawl Review

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
This info is off the scan of the Fanmitsu Brawl Review.

Wii

Nintendo
January 24, 2008 Sale Date \ 6,800 (sales tax inc.)
Variety Fighter/ Action
You can control tons of characters like Mario and Snake. Up to four players can battle at once. Cooperative mode is added in. Online battles are also possible.

Maker Survey
Target Players: Anyone can enjoy this one

Average Play time: That depends on how you play this game

This time single player has tons of content. The adventure mode is quite long and fun. And the story presentation is amazing. As for the fights, with the strong unpredictable factor that comes with final smashes, more than ever we can be excited about matches not being related to skill. The controls and sound are also satisfying. Hats off to Nintendo.
Score:10

The new unpredictable factor that is the final smash allows us to enjoy an amazing effect and refreshing feel from any character. The fights are even more intense. The single player modes are abundant and a plus. The Subspace Emissary Adventure mode's movie and action tempo are good and you just forget time while playing. Im highly satisfied with the game.
Score: 10

The powerhouse cast and gimmicks! The dynamic and subtle character movements! The must see final smashes! There are tons of battle stages. The single player mode is also extremely satisfying. There is a stage edit, and you can browse through the detailed information in the game.
Score 10

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
You should try localizing instead of translating. Localization != translation. It's much more fun and practical :p

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
"As for the fights, with the strong unpredictable factor that comes with final smashes, more than ever we can be excited about matches not being related to skill."

Is that a good thing....? lol

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
we can be excited about matches not being related to skill
Is this really how Japan sees gaming? Skill takes away from excitement? I realize its just one reviewer, but I doubt he would have got there if he didn't have a lot of people agree with him. From this point of view, the changes to Brawl really do make sense, I suppose.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
good to see them praise the three most important parts of Brawl: Subspace, Roster, and Multiplayer

ruffrydr017

Smash Apprentice
This might be the most uninformative, lamest review of a game, ever. Granted, it got a 40/40, but really. Not one tiny tidbit of new information (outside of Sheik)?

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Is this really how Japan sees gaming? Skill takes away from excitement? I realize its just one reviewer, but I doubt he would have got there if he didn't have a lot of people agree with him. From this point of view, the changes to Brawl really do make sense, I suppose.
I guess the Japanese are to modest to enjoy a lil competition in games... X_x

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion

clembo2021

Smash Rookie
I'm not going to generalize all Japanese people, but from my Randomized games of Jump Ultimate Stars it is clear that at least the ones who play that game online are not interested in highly competitive fighting.

What always happened with Japanese players is they would all run to opposite sides of the map and wait for the time to run out so they'd all get their gems, instead of having a real fight and earning them. And if you actually tried to fight instead of camp they'd all kill you so you wouldn't disrupt their campfest.

Very lame indeed, but this reviewer seems to agree with that mentality.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Hm, put up a translation of this a while ago. Guess nobody noticed.

I'm not going to generalize all Japanese people, but from my Randomized games of Jump Ultimate Stars it is clear that at least the ones who play that game online are not interested in highly competitive fighting.

What always happened with Japanese players is they would all run to opposite sides of the map and wait for the time to run out so they'd all get their gems, instead of having a real fight and earning them. And if you actually tried to fight instead of camp they'd all kill you so you wouldn't disrupt their campfest.

Very lame indeed, but this reviewer seems to agree with that mentality.
So what you're saying is that they're competitive fighters, but you're not? They're playing to win. Jump Ultimate Stars is not a competitive game. It's not good enough because the best strategy of winning is just that.

Anyway, other than Smash, Japan kicks the US' *** at most fighting games =(

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They said it's fun but doesn't require skill...what is wrong with that=??? You can have fun with a game if you aren't skilled at it. We call it the "Mercy Final Smash" that makes the opponent feel good after losing for making a comback, but still impossible to win with. What they are probably saying is "the game doesn't require skill to have fun. It's just naturally fun." ;)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
So what you're saying is that they're competitive fighters, but you're not? They're playing to win. Jump Ultimate Stars is not a competitive game. It's not good enough because the best strategy of winning is just that.
Quite the opposite. He said that the Japanese don't care much about competitive play. He took JUS as an example because of the gem-grinding techniques. Normally they wouldn't attack each other, since they would all get an equal amount of gems (loss is 5 of every basic color, win is 20 for the three basic colors and 5 for the special gems). When you draw, you all get the win amount. These gems are required to upgrade your character.

So, naturally, when you try to disrupt this, you would get killed by them, since you disrupt their plans.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the guy quite meant it like that. Skill can't remove excitement from a match because how good you are at something is irrelevant to how you and your opponent enjoy the game.

As we all know, FSes can make a big difference in any match, and they instantly change the tactics of the battle from the moment the Smash Ball appears--and anything can happen after it appears. The Smash Ball offers a method of changing a match that is, mostly, unpredictable. Thus, rather than a match that would just be two opponents and all the skill they have, players now have to deal with the Smash Ball (if nothing else) as well.

Of course, the Final Smashes and their related tactics don't necessarily detract from the skill involved in a match (if anything they only make the match more intense and difficult)...mistranslation? :p

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Hm, put up a translation of this a while ago. Guess nobody noticed.

Anyway, other than Smash, Japan kicks the US' *** at most fighting games =(
Wow. Learn to read.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Of course, the Final Smashes and their related tactics don't necessarily detract from the skill involved in a match (if anything they only make the match more intense and difficult)...mistranslation? :p
They really do detract from skill. The main reason is because they replace all the spacing, timing, and other skills needed to perform a decisive combo or KO with a single button press in most cases. Theres really no way you could argue that theres an equivalent amount of skill in grabbing a smash ball and hitting your special move button.

Also, theres been reasonable speculation that the changes made to Brawl encourage more defensive play. If you combine this with smash balls, strategy may easily come down to camp, camp, grab smash ball, final smash, camp, camp, etc. People will try to justify this with "z0mg Brawl is not Melee" and "thats fun in its own way" arguments, but I think it just makes competitive play more bland and less fun over all compared to Melee, where you had to actively face your opponent during the whole battle most of the time.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
man im glad it got a perfect score

Reviews don't matter in famitsu The magazine is a fan service. Their reviews aren't supposed to be taken seriously. Every gundam game gets good reviews no matter how terrible it is. Same with Final Fantasy.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...5.asp?q=gundam

Gundam for PS3: 35%

OPM: 3/10
Xplay: 1/5

Famitsu's rating: 8 out of 10 from every reviewer
wtf final fantasy is my favorite rpg series and it one of the best rpg series

Novus

Smash Apprentice
"Every gundam game gets good reviews no matter how terrible it is. Same with Final Fantasy."

I didn't know there was a TERRIBLE main Final Fantasy game?

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
It's how most people view gaming.

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
Well, there's a simple solution to that; if you don't like people who camp, then don't camp. I know I won't and, if everyone makes their minds to that, then there'll be not much people who plays like that. That's a way to solve the problem, don't you think?

k-sin

Smash Cadet
If you can successfully camp in brawl.... then you deserve to!
(I know I'm mixing games here... but meh)

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Also, theres been reasonable speculation that the changes made to Brawl encourage more defensive play. If you combine this with smash balls, strategy may easily come down to camp, camp, grab smash ball, final smash, camp, camp, etc.
That's not gonna happen, if you just camp til you wait a smash ball, you'll be punched all over the game and when it really appaers, the chance of you getting it are the same as your opponents (who'll be safe).

stepmaniers13

Smash Cadet
Is this really how Japan sees gaming? Skill takes away from excitement?
They were playing it as if it were a game, therefore playing everything it has to offer, not limiting themselves to one ruleset and sticking to it.
And under these conditions, skill does take away from excitement to normal players, as the unpredictability of the items, Smash Balls, and all that make the match anyone's game. Heck, if its one on one with me and my friends I always win, but with items I lose from time to time, which is great. Beats making everyone feel like they are bad.

Tournament players prefer playing under set rules that show off manipulating game mechanics to the extreme, and to normal players that just drives them away.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
As for the fights, with the strong unpredictable factor that comes with final smashes, more than ever we can be excited about matches not being related to skill.
Yeah, **** skill. Who needs skill in a fighting game? You should be able to win without it. Skill is overrated.

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
As for the fights, with the strong unpredictable factor that comes with final smashes, more than ever we can be excited about matches not being related to skill.

The new unpredictable factor that is the final smash allows us to enjoy an amazing effect and refreshing feel from any character.

The powerhouse cast and gimmicks!
haha oh wow, apparently skill is not relevant in this game :laugh:

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
They were playing it as if it were a game, therefore playing everything it has to offer
This is where people don't understand and let their personal biases affect their judgment. I play competitively because I want to play the game to the fullest. I've done all the single player, played on every stage with every item with every character, FFA, 1v1, 2v2, the occasional 1v2 and 1v3, etc, you get the idea. I guarantee most good competitive players have already gone through these parts of the game.

Theres really nothing new left in the game itself, but there are many opponents with skills that surpass anything you can find in the game. At this point, you can quit or you can go challenge them yourself and learn the subtleties of the game mechanics and strategies you may not have thought of yourself . I chose the second, because I wanted to see "everything it has to offer".

These casual players will never get beyond the notion that smash is just some party game. They are the ones that do not "play everything it has to offer". Its their choice if they want to play like that, it doesn't bother me, but when people go as far as to say that they are the ones playing the game to the fullest, thats just blatant ignorance. Is it that hard to think about it a little before making up random crap like this?

Also, If you want games with unpredictability and no skill involved, go flip a coin and guess heads or tails. Tell me how long that entertains you. Thats probably as entertaining to you as it is for good players to run around exchanging final smashes and tossing items all day.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
man im glad it got a perfect score

wtf final fantasy is my favorite rpg series and it one of the best rpg series

Final Fantasy is one of my favorite RPG series also. Doesn't change the fact that FF12 sucked and Famitsu gave it a perfect score though.

Also they gave Dirge of Cerberus a good review when it was a terrible game.

Top Bottom