• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transforming to Zelda?

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, as a Zelda main, I'm used to living in the shadow of Sheik's top tier status, so I'm used to thinking of transforming mid battle as an a viable strategy to win, and with the addition of transform exploding din's fire, there's plenty of incentive for me to transform to sheik mid-battle. But with Sheik being the obvioulsy superior character, I wonder if any dedicated sheik players even consider transforming to Zelda. I'd like to get the opinions of some sheik players about the subject. How do you feel about transforming mid-battle? When do you consider transforming and for what reasons? Do you feel there are advantages to transforming mid-battle? What could they do that would make you want to transform mid-battle more or at all?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hey guys, as a Zelda main, I'm used to living in the shadow of Sheik's top tier status, so I'm used to thinking of transforming mid battle as an a viable strategy to win, and with the addition of transform exploding din's fire, there's plenty of incentive for me to transform to sheik mid-battle. But with Sheik being the obvioulsy superior character, I wonder if any dedicated sheik players even consider transforming to Zelda. I'd like to get the opinions of some sheik players about the subject. How do you feel about transforming mid-battle? When do you consider transforming and for what reasons? Do you feel there are advantages to transforming mid-battle? What could they do that would make you want to transform mid-battle more or at all?
Zelda isn't bad in P:M. ZHime and other Zelda mains have proved that, you don't have to grovel.

Just passing by mainly but even with the addition of more beginning time for transforming and less endlag for transforming you shouldn't be doing it on stage unless you have your opponent in a combo and can finish with a perfectly placed dins. I could see some cool combos and stuff but I'm not really sure why you would transform from your main into the other character (You could main both).

Maybe recovering with Zelda and gimping with Sheik or something?

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
As a Sheik main and Zelda secondary, I frequently find myself transforming mid-battle, however it is almost exclusively for recovery. This is because Zelda's recovery has the potential to punish poorly times edgehogs and possibly avoid having to take the edge altogether. I feel comfortable doing this only because my Zelda is almost as good as my Sheik. If I wasn't confident I can win as Zelda, however, I would not change.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
what could they do that would make you personally want to use transform more?

Player -0

Smash Hero
ZHime has done some transform stuff in one of his combo videos.. I think it's called "Princess and Queen" or something. He mainly uses it to get off Fairs or things for the kill while his opponent is recovering.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
Honestly I don't feel like they need to do much of anything. Generally speaking, if I start a match with Zelda, I'll stay as her unless I'm getting thrashed. If I start as Sheik, I'll switch for recovery, play out the rest of the opponent's stock as Zelda, and then switch back. Both characters are solid, and since you can act out of transform immediately I see no reason to not use it as you see fit.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I usually start out as zelda, especially on fast fallers. I usually use sheik to force an approach, run the timer, or wait for an easy gimp on the edge. Zelda's neutral game is significantly better than sheiks, and sheik is better for high percent kills and edge stalling. I usually wont switch when Im not coming back from a stock.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I use Sheik to rack and Zelda to kill. Sometimes I want to keep stringing moves together, but especially against characters with untouchable recoveries like tetherers or Mario, I dash across stage and transform. I switch back after landing a kill move.

The Din's detonation thing doesn't appeal to me. I hardly use Din's, I just want a heel, backthrow, or uptilt.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I think switching mid-battle is a beautiful option for matchups, and one of the things that keeps Zelda-Shiek so unique in my eyes.

I really wish that they would make Shiek and Zelda two separate characters, as well as having a joined version. The separate versions would both have a down-B that greatly effects the way they play as much as a shine would.

I mean, think of Fox and Falco without shines. Now think of Shiek and Zelda with abilities that are that gamechanging. I think it would be sweet. (maybe Shiek has a harp attack and Zelda an Ocarina? Lame, sorry)

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
it's really bad. don't use it.
I don't think "Bad" and "Difficult" are synonyms. Both Characters bring their own specialty, and if you know both characters well enough, then you have a major edge on the opponent, making them have to know both as well.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
It's really situational. Not necessarily bad. Zelda is pretty much an extra life for Sheik :) Usually bad while on-stage except for niche unreliable/lucky scenarios. Good if your opponent likes to play rushdown (and you're smart).

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
zelda is very good in this game, even though she may not be as good sheik. I've been switching her specifically for that bthrow recently, and din's setups when your opponent are dead into transform to detonate are very tricky and very helpful. Also, practically nobody knows how to play against zelda in this, and a lot of people have problems playing sheik too. Its pretty helpful for just confusing people with different strategies.

Top Bottom