• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

You gave concrete examples of toxic behavior, like being a ******* and yelling grill in twitch chat every time a woman comes on, and reasons not to engage people in your (frankly tl;dr) post, so I don't understand how you can call it 'phantom'.

Telling people to toughen up or ignore the issues they face for who they are is not a constructive means of bettering anything, and really just serves to dismissively hand-wave any sort of concerns the player, group, or overall community might have on such behaviors. As such, dismissive attitudes like the one you have underscored repeatedly in your post can, in fact, contribute negatively towards individuals who experience distress or harm from being isolated and attacked, and could therefore easily, and legitimately, be considered part of the problems individuals face when it comes to the structural attitudes which facilitate the abuse of marginalized people.

It might be an issue of semantics on my part. I consider stuff like Twitch chat to not be concrete, as I'd reserve concrete for in-person or at least some higher level of identity on the part of the offender. Perhaps someone PMing or posting hateful speech where they know members of that group would see it. In any case, Twitch is truly a phantom because you don't even know if they mean what they say. For example, yelling GRILL when a girl is on stream seems to exactly mirror yells of KREYGASM when PPMD pops up somewhere. It seems that it's done just to be done, with no actual meaning behind it.

I really did not mean to come off as dismissive of the myriad issues trans and cis women face in the community. I mean to come off dismissive of anonymous turds on the internet bunching together to be just plain idiotic. This applies to any and all people everywhere. If you're a human, you can be categorized certain ways: white, black, male, female, intersex, religious, etc. For every group you fall into, there are toxic ****s who would delight in you being hurt by their words.

So I am saying, on a level that transcends the specific group of people this article is about, to all people everywhere, tune out the static. You can't will everyone to your ideology or even your manners. Your two options in that case are to either ignore them, or toughen up.

Keep in mind I am not trying to tell people "Aw just toughen up" in any and all circumstances. Especially in public, do not put up with ****. And definitely TOs and people in charge in this kind of way need to stamp out ****ery. But if you're someone who can't unplug from the hate groups online, you're kind of putting yourself in a tough position. Surround yourself with the people who accept you. Those who don't aren't deserving of your company.

Oh right! M2K has Asperger's!

I almost forgot :facepalm:
As an aspie, I find it problematic and offensive that it is being called a "mental disorder".
There are no disorders, only variations that were all created equality to one another. <3333
Uh......?

Why is there an article like this on Smash Boards?
With buzzwords no less.

This honestly has nothing to do with the game itself and has nothing to do with the competitive scene, or even friendly matches.

I don't know who wrote this or who all thought this would be good, but...
All this is going to do is tear everything and everyone apart.

This is a big mistake.
It is only going to serve in damaging these boards and if left to continue, will end up destroying it and it's members.

Nothing good will come of this.
You just can't comprehend the vibrancy that exudes from someone self-identifying as something other than they appear to be.

The woman who wrote this article is stunning and brave. Diversity is a strength.

----

Although i really appreciate the idea behind this thread and understand why it may sometimes be necessary to speak about transsexuality, i have to remind about something important:

Accepting a transgender-person is less accepting their transsexuality, but primarily to accept they are a woman/man [...regardless of why it came to that point or that it was different some time in the past].

Uh......?

Why is there an article like this on Smash Boards?
With buzzwords no less.

This honestly has nothing to do with the game itself and has nothing to do with the competitive scene, or even friendly matches.

I don't know who wrote this or who all thought this would be good, but...
All this is going to do is tear everything and everyone apart.

This is a big mistake.
It is only going to serve in damaging these boards and if left to continue, will end up destroying it and it's members.

Nothing good will come of this.
TELLING PEOPLE TO NOT BE ****TY TO TRANSPEOPEL IS DESTROYIGNDHJ THE HONORABLE SMASH COMMUNTIYESD

why are the evil lgbt people destroying this game by saying they dont want to be treated like ****???

The reason you see people complaining about the need for distinction between girls and guys is because you don't see the guys here dividing ourselves between "White" Smash players and "Black" Smash players.

Seeing as people are being warned for their posts and refusing to conform, I can safely say that Smashboards is preparing to go to hell the same way NeoGaf is

It might be an issue of semantics on my part. I consider stuff like Twitch chat to not be concrete, as I'd reserve concrete for in-person or at least some higher level of identity on the part of the offender. Perhaps someone PMing or posting hateful speech where they know members of that group would see it. In any case, Twitch is truly a phantom because you don't even know if they mean what they say. For example, yelling GRILL when a girl is on stream seems to exactly mirror yells of KREYGASM when PPMD pops up somewhere. It seems that it's done just to be done, with no actual meaning behind it.
Here have some more concrete proof. Here is a person deadnaming, making a joke about how you can't be a women with a ****. This was posted in a regions smash group on facebook. One of the people making the jokes is a top player in the region. Another is the admin of the group. I now don't go to tournaments in that state, and get uncomfortable when they comes to mine and maybe I have to play them in bracket or something.

The people behind those twitch messages are real people. Often people who are a part of the community and do participate in tournaments. You can't just shut off from the internet. Sure they won't say anything to my face, but it is enough to make me uncomfortable being around them and I don't think I am unreasonable for feeling that way.

Attachments

The reason you see people complaining about the need for distinction between girls and guys is because you don't see the guys here dividing ourselves between "White" Smash players and "Black" Smash players.
Probably because no one will harass you over your skin color anymore. Meanwhile, girl gamers are still harassed. And that's not even going into transwomen.

And for the last bloody time, they're not dividing themselves.

Seeing as people are being warned for their posts and refusing to conform, I can safely say that Smashboards is preparing to go to hell the same way NeoGaf is
Then you're looking at what's not there. There's a difference between posts saying "I don't agree with this" and "YOU'RE AN ABOMINATION TO GOD" and "OMG GROW UP AND GET THICKER SKIN LOLOL"

Only the latter two get modded.

Why are people getting warnings for being ****ty and making the forums toxic??? Where is my freedom to be able to be a ****ty person???????

People don't want you to have your own views or opinions on the internet unless you agree with them lol.

People don't want you to have your own views or opinions on the internet unless you agree with them lol.
People aren't getting warned for dissenting opinions, they're getting warned because they're being offensive and insulting. Read through the comments and you'll find 0osts that disagree but are at least civil aren't warned at all.

Sort of an aside but also kinda connected to part of this: since Smash Sisters seems to be working does that mean testing can begin on those Youth division events that were proposed once upon a time(you know, the ones for kiddos 13 and under?)

D
I'm sorry but I find this article to be completely stupid. 1) why is there even a separate division for women? If the tournament results are based on how skillful the player is, why on god green earth is there has to be a separate division for female smashers? It literally makes no sense at all.

2) you pretty much "offended" pre-transgendered smashers all because they thought that the Smash Sisters was exclusively to women, but then again why the hell should there be a female division in the fist place? The more I read on this, the more I laugh at the stupidity of this article. You claim that everyone is welcome to the smash community, but then pull up **** like this. Make men and women participate in the same division and should be based off of their skill level. We shouldn't have a separate division for female smashers because in the end we're all smash players. Also "Safe Space"? Really? What are we 6? Sorry if this "offends" anyone but I need to say it.
How about "no" because there is no literal reason to have a separate tournament for women in smash.
Firstly, a question such as that can be applied to any type of tournament. "Why have a tournament with customs?", "Why have a tournament with items?", "Why have a tournament with doubles?". In other words, anyone has the right to make a tournament as they see fit especially so since stagelists and stocks among tournaments are very diverse among Smash 4 tournaments. If I wish to host a tournament with items and customs on, there's nothing nonsensical about it, It's merely what I as a TO in that scenario think would be a good idea for a tournament.

With that said, to explain why it makes sense to have a tournament that encourages transgender people to come out and be themselves we must also understand one thing, transgender people are victims of physical and mental abuse, and there is currently a stigma on acceptance among people that are trans because a lot of people in the world refuse to let trans people be themselves.

Prejudice is a very real thing, and you as a woman should know that this occurred with women very heavily until recent history where now an independent woman is something respected and very possible to be. The way things are now, transgender people still have their stigma because the majority of people have not come to an understanding yet and disallow people to be themselves.

Imagine if your family, and everyone around you growing up ridiculed you for who you are and what your preferences were and it lead you into fear? If you didn't grow up with that feeling then you couldn't possibly understand what it's like to be trans.

With all of that said, the reason why something like this is a good idea (it's also a free tournament mind you) is that it empowers trans people to stop being so afraid of what the world thinks of them and let's them feel confident in who they are. It's just a game at the end of the day, and something like this literally harms no one and only encourages kindness and acceptance. There are plenty of tournaments where everyone can enter, a side tournament for the purpose of bringing more people to Smash is not a bad thing.

oh my god! Lmao are you ****ing kidding me you stupid Feminist ****! There is no harassment in this community towards women. I'm a woman myself and guess what? I don't get harassed because I'm not an over sensitive prick! It's You who are the one making a big deal out of nothing.
Your behavior here shows the amount of ignorance you have towards this subject. In fact, the Smash Documentary as well as the incident with Alex are two proofs of this occurring within our own community, and it's not merely just our community where women face such issues, it's gaming in general.

I also want to make a clear note that a person being sensitive or tolerant has absolutely nothing to do with being harassed. It's all base on sexual attraction. Perhaps you haven't had deal with people harassing you sexually, but it is a very real thing that happens to women and is quite documented and a simple google search will shed light on that easily.

I am happy to hear you (since you stated you are a woman) have not had to deal with this, and I can thankfully say the Houston smash community from what I've seen is very accepting towards LBGT and women.

Why are people getting warnings for being ****ty and making the forums toxic??? Where is my freedom to be able to be a ****ty person???????
The Smash community is one of the most welcoming and diverse in gaming, and the forums are hardly toxic at all. Chill with the sarcasm.

I really doubt Smashboards will ever get as bad as NeoGaf lol

Last edited:
The Smash community is one of the most welcoming and diverse in gaming, and the forums are hardly toxic at all. Chill with the sarcasm.
I'll agree it's one of the better communities, but there's still a lot of work to be done. This article literally detailed some of the problems trans players face in the community, yet you're still saying there's no problem at all.

Sort of an aside but also kinda connected to part of this: since Smash Sisters seems to be working does that mean testing can begin on those Youth division events that were proposed once upon a time(you know, the ones for kiddos 13 and under?)
It's all fun and games until Puppeh shows up.

But I wonder how kids that young would react when it comes to choosing which game to play. Do we have any info saying graphics + tech barrier would turn them away from Melee in favor of Smash 4?

It's all fun and games until Puppeh shows up.

But I wonder how kids that young would react when it comes to choosing which game to play. Do we have any info saying graphics + tech barrier would turn them away from Melee in favor of Smash 4?
More characters, easier, looks prettier.. most recent. You can almost guarantee kids would definitely pick Smash 4 over the older ones.

More characters, easier, looks prettier.. most recent. You can almost guarantee kids would definitely pick Smash 4 over the older ones.

I think that's true. And I also think that, over time and as they got older, some of them would gravitate towards Melee. After all, some of the top Melee talent playing today was like 5 when Melee dropped. Hell, Wizzrobe was 2 or 3.

So a spike in Smash 4 growth would help Melee in the long run, imo.

I think that's true. And I also think that, over time and as they got older, some of them would gravitate towards Melee. After all, some of the top Melee talent playing today was like 5 when Melee dropped. Hell, Wizzrobe was 2 or 3.

So a spike in Smash 4 growth would help Melee in the long run, imo.
This exactly. Arguably one of the hidden benefits of Smash 4's lower tech skill gap is that it's more friendly toward people who want to get acquainted with competitive play in a way that's a little less daunting than Melee. Let people get a feel for it with Smash 4, then decide later if they want to keep playing it or try one of the older games for a more challenging experience. It's a win for everyone.

you're right. This does not talk about any of those things in particular, but it does talk about something that is happening within the community in a positive way. It's also showing how the smash community banded together to show how much it has grown and matured over the years in terms of this very sensitive subject matter. It makes for very good ice breaker when trying to start a dialogue about the topic which can be difficult for some. No, it's not about the game, but about a specific group of players playing the game.

some words for the internet:

if you made a canada vs. USA crew battle, should it be burned at the stake because maybe some rando from UK happened to be around at the time?

if you say "no" to that, but still constantly question this, ask yourself as to why that is

I used to be super bitter about women-only things like this too. Then I figured out it's because I needed to BE one. Then I transistioned and the bitterness was gone.

So uhh... Give that a shot then? Or just fuggit and get mad about more important things.

Last edited:
I skipped to the bottom of the article. In fact. The only reason I came here was to say that Jesus would be very disappointed in you all for not making an effort to stop this nonsense. I'm a Christian and I feel extreme pain and anger, and if such is true, just imagine how much more that their creator God is feeling. Men were born Men and Women born Women. Both were and still are straight. Gay people don't exist, those are just normal people who have given up the fight against sin. Transgender "women", are really just men (and vice-versa). These people were fearfully and wonderfully made
Psalm 139:14 (NIV) - "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
And their bodies are temples; they are to honor God
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV) - "(19) Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; (20) you were bought at a price.Therefore honor God with your bodies."
Also, Men are not to dress as Women and vice-versa; God detests anyone who does this!
Deuteronomy 22:5 (NIV) - "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this."
A Man altering themselves to become like a women could also be considered wearing a woman's clothing; their bodies.
-
The Bible also talks about homosexuality and it being an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 (ESV) - "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."
Another verse calling it an abomination!
Leviticus 18:22 (ESV) - "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."
And in that verse, note how it says men shall not lie with men as with a woman! That already debunks that Gay communities satanic lie that they were "born that way". THE BIBLE states that men are expected to lie with women! Those two are meant for each other, and God expects that to happen! Men having intercourse with Women is clearly the norm here, even in the eyes of the Lord! If homosexuality was right, then wouldn't God have some leeway? No! Because it's not right!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This entire article is wrong! Don't you see?! You didn't break down any barriers!, All you did was create a bigger one between you and God!
I skipped to the bottom of the article. In fact. The only reason I came here was to say that Jesus would be very disappointed in you all for not making an effort to stop this nonsense. I'm a Christian and I feel extreme pain and anger, and if such is true, just imagine how much more that their creator God is feeling. Men were born Men and Women born Women. Both were and still are straight. Gay people don't exist, those are just normal people who have given up the fight against sin. Transgender "women", are really just men (and vice-versa). These people were fearfully and wonderfully made
Psalm 139:14 (NIV) - "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
And their bodies are temples; they are to honor God
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV) - "(19) Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; (20) you were bought at a price.Therefore honor God with your bodies."
Also, Men are not to dress as Women and vice-versa; God detests anyone who does this!
Deuteronomy 22:5 (NIV) - "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this."
A Man altering themselves to become like a women could also be considered wearing a woman's clothing; their bodies.
-
The Bible also talks about homosexuality and it being an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 (ESV) - "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."
Another verse calling it an abomination!
Leviticus 18:22 (ESV) - "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."
And in that verse, note how it says men shall not lie with men as with a woman! That already debunks that Gay communities satanic lie that they were "born that way". THE BIBLE states that men are expected to lie with women! Those two are meant for each other, and God expects that to happen! Men having intercourse with Women is clearly the norm here, even in the eyes of the Lord! If homosexuality was right, then wouldn't God have some leeway? No! Because it's not right!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This entire article is wrong! Don't you see?! You didn't break down any barriers!, All you did was create a bigger one between you and God!
THAT´S UNACCEPTABLE!!

Everyone has right to play SSB Series :mad:
The World Need´s to be equal

It should probably also be pointed out that, for those who READ the article, it should be pretty clear that this isn't a "call to arms" for SJWs or anything of the sort.

Reading the article makes it clear that the SSB community is generally pretty chill toward trans people, with the exception of a few people here and there who have taken issue with it and a of course twitch chats but twitch chats are a gigantic ****show anyway and probably always will be.

There's no battle for SJWs to fight, here, unless you count convincing anonymous internet trolls to basically not be anonymous internet trolls, and good LUCK with that. I think if a heavyset CIS man comes on stream, the trolls all call him fat, even though half of them are more than likely much fatter.

tbh SJW's don't even exist which is what makes things really surreal about the complainers. Like, a handful of misguided self-contained 13 year olds that dont leave tumblr and are pretty non-threatening even from an entitled view really isn't gonna be that relevant. It's just that crybabies want a scapegoat for when thing dont perfectly fit having everything revolve around them.

Last edited:
tbh SJW's don't even exist which is what makes things really surreal about the complainers. Like, a handful of misguided self-contained 13 year olds that dont leave tumblr and are pretty non-threatening even from an entitled view really isn't gonna be that relevant. It's just that crybabies want a scapegoat for when thing dont perfectly fit having everything revolve around them.
I don't really know what to call the people who fall into that category. When I hear "social justice warrior", my mind automatically turns it into "social media justice warrior" because that's usually the only place you'll see these people.

Basically, they're people who try to bandwagon on every single cause they can, not because they actually care or because they ever get anything accomplished, but because they enjoy being self-righteous and maybe they feel guilty about not actually making a difference so they figure this is the next best thing.

I'd call people who actually make a difference "activists", personally, because they actually ACT.

But the problem with SJWs is that they usually don't understand the cause at hand, and they often just wind up fanning the flames which, as you said, makes the opponents further against the cause (or even people on the fence).

Thus, they just wind up being the annoying, ineffectual scapegoats for people on the other side, and because they're loud and annoying, people often pay attention to them instead of the people who are really trying to help the cause.

We need to remind folks that these noisy annoying, people don't represent the cause but are in fact doing nothing but harming it. :\

Last edited:
You don't have to be some ineffective schlub to be called an SJW. You can be like "Hey, y'know, I'm not sure it's the best idea to ban all muslims from the US" and somebody will call you an SJW. And if you're actually an effective activist, that will only make them madder and shout "SJW" louder.

It's a stupid meme, honestly, because it maligns the idea of fighting for social justice. Sure, everyone seems to have their own special definition for who it does and does not apply to, but it's really just a code word for "liberals I don't like for whatever reason."

but it's really just a code word for "liberals I don't like for whatever reason."
That's why the differentiation is so important.

We're not SJWs because this is our community and we already shaped it in a manner that it's generally friendly and welcoming to everyone (even the Dutch!).

That's why the differentiation is so important.

We're not SJWs because this is our community and we already shaped it in a manner that it's generally friendly and welcoming to everyone (even the Dutch!).
You can't say the community is inviting when there's literally this post detailing how some regions are not inviting. Hell this article has a section discussing how there are players that aren't friendly and welcoming. And please don't tell me "It's just Twitch Chat" because Twitch chat is our community unfiltered.

You can't say the community is inviting when there's literally this post detailing how some regions are not inviting. Hell this article has a section discussing how there are players that aren't friendly and welcoming.
You can't overlook general widespread acceptance because of a few bad apples, and that's really what the article is about.

They wouldn't have written an article inviting trans players to join the SSB community if it was an extremely toxic community that they're better off not joining.

And please don't tell me "It's just Twitch Chat" because Twitch chat is our community unfiltered.
First of all, no, twitch chat isn't "our community".

There's nothing to say that even half of the people on it are "fans" of SSB and not just there to troll, let alone actual tournament-goers.

Second, as I said earlier, if a player carrying a little extra weight comes on stream, twitch chat will let loose about THAT, FFS, ignoring the fact that I'm sure most of the people in twitch chat are THEMSELVES overweight.

Third, twitch chat is usually full of people who desperately want attention. Many of them are probably 12 year old white boys using the anonymity of chat to say the n-word. These are people being stupid and irreverent purely for the sake of being stupid and irreverent!

If you want to judge the community based upon THAT, you'll never be happy with it. Instead of letting an irrelevant group of 12 year olds taint your view of the SSB community, look instead the the MAJORITY who has no issue with trans players at all.

Really, nothing kills trolls faster than not feeding them and if they think they're getting to people, they'll keep doing it...

You can't say the community is inviting when there's literally this post detailing how some regions are not inviting. Hell this article has a section discussing how there are players that aren't friendly and welcoming. And please don't tell me "It's just Twitch Chat" because Twitch chat is our community unfiltered.
I don't think S_B is saying things are perfect just that we're improving things out of a passion for this community. And anyway, even though the problems are clear it's important for us to celebrate our successes and how far we've come, which is what this article does seem to be doing for a large part.

Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

Like, it's amazing how much that quote has been skipped over in this discussion. Just saying.

Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

Like, it's amazing how much that quote has been skipped over in this discussion. Just saying.
But in general or at SSB tournaments specifically?

The quote wasn't exactly clear on where, though I imagine it's talking about the general threat of violence (since it just previously referenced going to find food near the tournament).

Last edited:
I don't think S_B is saying things are perfect just that we're improving things out of a passion for this community. And anyway, even though the problems are clear it's important for us to celebrate our successes and how far we've come, which is what this article does seem to be doing for a large part.
Well if that's the case, I apologize. Usually when I hear "the smash community (or any community) is very welcoming and friendly" it's followed by how people just need to "toughen up" or "those people aren't a part of the community" or "I would never do that!" Which tells me how little they may understand the situation.

Last edited:
Probably in general, which DOES mean whenever we go out to live events sadly.
Has a trans player ever been outright attacked at a tournament, though?

Well if that's the case, I apologize. Usually when I hear "the smash community (or any community) is very welcoming and friendly" it's followed by how people just need to "toughen up" or "those people aren't a part of the community" or "I would never do that!" Which tells me how little they may understand the situation.
No, "toughening up" shouldn't be necessary, but you have to compare the number of actual problematic people vs. the number who have no issue with trans players and the latter number is definitely larger by a sizable margin.

And don't even acknowledge the trolls, especially the twitch chat ones since they'll make fun of people for issues that they themselves suffer from because they just want attention.

One of the first things they tell stream commentators to do is ignore the chat completely and for damn good reason...

For the sake of comparison, the SSB community is especially enlightened when compared to the competitive "communities" of other activities. For example, my heart goes out to the first trans man who gets drafted into the NFL... :\

Last edited:
Has a trans player ever been outright attacked at a tournament, though?
I have.... back in 2008. It wasn't a big name event or anything, but it was my first time at a local smash event. I was going full time at school and wanted to make an attempt to do so with a safe group of friends in a new place. I didn't think that I would be received so poorly. I would have left the event if my friends weren't my ride and the event wasn't a couple towns away from where I lived. It wasn't just the smashers though, it was pretty much anyone who was there for locals from street fighter to guilty gear. I told my friends what was going on (even though it was pretty obvious that I was getting laughed at and others talking in outrage to one another about me, which was confusing) and they made an effort to put a stop to it. Even talking to the owners, who were not much help at all. But this wasn't much of anything new, I just expected better from the gaming community, I guess. But then again, I was also expecting that of a lot of people my age at the time (17). But that's not where it got violent....

I was playing in the melee tournament being held at the time and was really nervous. The heckling wasn't helping. That was the day I realized that a lot of gamers had a certain pecking order of challenge rating dependent on age, gender and sexual orientation (dependent on how "obvious" it was). 1st guys, 2nd girls, 3rd gay guys, 4th, lesbian girls, 5th trans..... Based on what they were saying and how I was being treated they made it clear what they thought of me. That I couldn't even play better than a girl or even their homosexual counterpart (which is nonsensical on it's own, but for the sake of context I hope you understand what I mean.). I was perceived as not a challenge at all. Maybe slightly better than a child. Once I realized that I got really mad and played my heart out, because I was not about to let them be right. I wasn't going to be dismissed based on my gender identity. I made it to 3rd before being sent to losers and then getting knocked out of the bracket. Most of my opponents were not happy with the loss and got made fun of by their friends for loosing to the ******. Well, turns out one person wasn't having it. Their pride wouldn't allow them to loose to a fight to someone like me. So they decided that once everything was all said and done to "run me their fair one" and attacked me in the parking lot. I don't know when anyone else noticed what happened, but it was long enough for this kid to mess up my face and kick me in the stomach before he was restrained and I was assisted by my friends. Another fight almost happened because of this, but the owners of the venue called the police already. I expected people to run. Lucky for me they were still all around my age so..... they were waiting on their ride from mom. They all came together. I gave a police report. I never thought that would ever happen to me. I had only head about that sort of thing before then.

Last edited:
The above just emphasizes this wisdom: trust us to know our experiences. Experience has taught us to be hyper aware of **** like this. Some punk kid might just be cracking jokes or he might be gearing up to kick your ass. There is no "just a joke" when the stakes are that high.

Top Bottom