• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

There's a difference between "welcoming and inclusive" and pandering. "Welcoming and inclusive" would be nobody mentioning, or even noticing. Pandering is writing articles about what special snowflakes these people are.
This article is not pandering. Asking people to not be afraid and join the fun is not pandering.

Aside from the fact that I have no money or ride, articles like this is what helps me gain the courage to eventually go to my local. Granted, I am pre-transition and still present as cis, so no one is going to bat an eye. But by the time I do get everything rolling I fear the criticism I'll receive. Articles and posts like this is what helps keep me calm and not worry about the future.

It also helps that my region (South Florida) seems to be accepting, or at least not openly hostile

There's a difference between "welcoming and inclusive" and pandering. "Welcoming and inclusive" would be nobody mentioning, or even noticing. Pandering is writing articles about what special snowflakes these people are.
Yeah, this article really gives me more confidence to present as female at the next local i go to. But if you don't want articles like this then I guess you just lost a stylish dedede at tournaments

its truly wonderful that we have a community as accepting as it is although not perfect definitely a step in the right direction.
i totally agree, it's great that smash has such a wonderful community that makes us trans-ladies feel safe and welcome granted there are a few bad eggs.

I'm torn between feeling glad and kicking myself about my policy of always reading the comments on interesting Smashboards articles. This comments section is a trip.

From my reading, the Smash Sisters tournament doesn't seem like its own thing that's meant to segregate people, so much as it is just a side event that serves a specific purpose. It's not trying to draw female players away from the main competitive scene, it's trying to ease them into the competitive scene in an environment that won't ask whose girlfriends they are. Getting comfortable with a competitive community is a significant psychological task for any new player - as a (cis)male Smash fan who doesn't play competitively yet, I can attest to this. So the idea of Smash Sisters seems to be to give women a place to work through that without potentially having to shoulder extra pressure from the "omg a grill" types - then join the main tournament once they've gotten over their nerves and become acquainted with the atmosphere.

Uh, in any case! The article was really neat and informative. It's always cool to me to be able to expand my awareness of community diversity. All of you trans Smashers, best of luck coming into your own and doing what it takes to feel like yourself - I sincerely hope that Smash, and the positive aspects of the community, help with it in some small way.

(By the way... Is it just me and my confirmation bias, or have trans people become way more visible on pretty much all fronts over the past couple years?)

(By the way... Is it just me and my confirmation bias, or have trans people become way more visible on pretty much all fronts over the past couple years?)
Probably increased visibility? I don't want to talk for trans people as a whole, since I've only recognized myself as trans a few months ago. We've been here for a very long time, but I would say due to the rise of social media, it's given us a bigger voice so more people recognize us.

Someone who's a lot more informed about this could probably correct me, or expand on what I've said.

Queer people : We are discriminated constantly within communities we love being in

Straight people: umm idk what ur talking about ******s lol :)

I am so glad I stopped caring about smash and esports long ago lol

Last edited:
Wait up so LiteralGrill LiteralGrill are you TG now? As in for real, not like a show of support thing.

Because if you are, your profiles on various websites still describe you as Eric Capps, using 'he' etc.
Yes, as in for real. All the sites are slowly getting updated. Making new art and doing everything right takes a lot of time.

This is actually a very nice advancement in the Smash community.

I love seeing people who don't face the marginalization women consistently face in hetero-male-dominated fighting game communities jump the gun to:

- take away the opportunities for women to voice themselves
- conflate platforms for visibility with hateful agendas
- dismiss problems just on the basis that they "don't see it"

It's great that we're well versed in a lot of these terms -- seriously would have never imagined Smashers talking about gender fluidity or themes of masculinity and feminity.

It really is a proud moment.

But for those that feel anguished and upset that a handful of women are trying to integrate into one of the most intimidating groups of people -- majorly comprised of straight dudes -- by creating a small p o c k e t of instances by which to compete and help each other in,

please, please check your priveledge at the door because while you got to play video games made for you by people like you as you grew up, people -- women in particular -- are starting to come out of the cracks and are trying to enjoy the game the same way you do while also dodging the related stigmas of being a woman in a fighting game community.

The least you can do is support good people doing good things for each other even if it has nothing to do with you -- solidarity.

Last edited:
I'm really proud of a lot of us for being mostly civil and being wiser when arguments are presented, even against the people who are clearly just posting to spread hate and hurt. Positiveness always trumps negativity. <3
It's great to see so many voices here who would've otherwise remain silent. I wish you all the best in your personal journeys and in life in general!
And just to quote a post from earlier, because it always applies:
"You know this society is messed up when equality is considered a political agenda/SJW"

I made my statement, Which I felt was blind sided or swept under the rug for most. I see what is trying to be done. I disagree with the comment that "Twitch Chat" doesn't matter which to me Twitch Chat is the embodiment of peoples honest opinions on a matter, Even Kayo Satoh had the same problem but the majority of the fans love her due to that she has skill and has trudged through the same crap each gamer around her has. There will always be those people that **** on you for how you look, but you dont see anyone coming to the rescue of the likes of Vinny who gets the thrash of people mentioning his skin. but they shut up just because he has made accomplishes as a player. Xaltis is a great player and is improving but unlike the two mention gets a pass and other to so that you can say "Keep your opinions to yourself everyone." I am an ugly ******* but I dont see an article about being nicer to us born with the ugly genes.

Trying to introduce concepts like diversity and open-mindedness to teenage boys is going to be an uphill battle, but I am glad to see that someone is trying. Keep on keepin on!

Was surprised to see an article about this here! It took some real guts to tackle this subject on these boards knowing that it wouldn't be long before the comments got nasty. Good to see the mods are on top of things tho.

Thanks for the shout-out anyhow! Trans people represent!

I made my statement, Which I felt was blind sided or swept under the rug for most. I see what is trying to be done. I disagree with the comment that "Twitch Chat" doesn't matter which to me Twitch Chat is the embodiment of peoples honest opinions on a matter, Even Kayo Satoh had the same problem but the majority of the fans love her due to that she has skill and has trudged through the same crap each gamer around her has. There will always be those people that **** on you for how you look, but you dont see anyone coming to the rescue of the likes of Vinny who gets the thrash of people mentioning his skin. but they shut up just because he has made accomplishes as a player. Xaltis is a great player and is improving but unlike the two mention gets a pass and other to so that you can say "Keep your opinions to yourself everyone." I am an ugly ******* but I dont see an article about being nicer to us born with the ugly genes.
I don't think being "ugly" (you're probably not ugly) has ever, if not, rarely caused someone to feel unwelcome to a community. Whereas being trans, it's a common occurence. There are communities out there that would outright harass and reject a trans individual. So an article saying that the Smash community is welcoming and asking people to be more inclusive really shouldn't come off as horrible idea like you're making it out to be.

I don't think people should have to feel insecure about their gender at tournaments (and people shouldn't have to harass them). I mean really? We're here to play Smash and meet others who share the same passion for the game, not hate on others because of who they are.

I don't think being "ugly" (you're probably not ugly) has ever, if not, rarely caused someone to feel unwelcome to a community. Whereas being trans, it's a common occurence. There are communities out there that would outright harass and reject a trans individual. So an article saying that the Smash community is welcoming and asking people to be more inclusive really shouldn't come off as horrible idea like you're making it out to be.
I see your stand point I really do, maybe I am looking at this from the prospective of those not in competitive gaming, Ive shown this article to a few friends of mine trans and LGBT even women. the same thing was brought up "Is this a notable player thats won alot?" "Are they trying to feel sorry for me?" "So if I join smash I'll be given special treatment regardless if I suck or not." It's why I mentioned Kayo Satoh someone thats competed with the best of the best and has even won. My opinion and prospective seems to stem to what it can become and what I've seen others use things similar for other gains. I wont harass you or treat you differently but what matters to me are placings and skill and where you have gone. not just because you are identified with one of the two genders. but again thats my 3.78 worth of input.

The amount of generalization and simplification of issues from both sides amuses me.

As for the subject itself, great to see members of my community(Meaning the smash community in general) have equal opportunity regardless of anything.

I see the Super Smash Sisters thing as a fun little thing and I can't really see how it "separates" as much as it just showcases... I mean, Let's come up with a hypothetical scenario:

When someone does a local "City of the west only players" tourney just to showcase the skill said city has to offer, said "City of the west" smashers can still enter any regular tournament but they will surely be able to showcase themselves better if there's a more focused spot to do so... Chances are in a big national you would probably not be able to see these players... but if they make their own tournament you surely will! Isn't that good? that isn't really separating the players of the west from any other player! You get what I mean? It's a fun little side activity and does not necessarily create seggregation.

Side note: Congratz! LiteralGrill LiteralGrill on letting yourself be who you really wanna be! What I find funny is that I stayed looking at the author's space thinking: "Huh, was it always like this and I just didn't notice till now?" I'm dumb haha...

And shoutouts to @pidgezero_one for bringing much needed reasoning to a lot of this.

Last edited:
How about "no" because there is no literal reason to have a separate tournament for women in smash.
I actually agree with Nezz64.

There was a girl at our local that actually WON a tournament here. So that proves it.
Another girl placed top 8 at Smash con.
One australian girl won a national.

So yeah, there really is no reason to have a separate girls-only tournament.

Honestly the fact that "Don't be a ******bag" is seen as liberal/SJW thing is just sad.

Wow, gaming culture can be so toxic. Which is ironic since gamers like to think themselves as being above bullying because they were made fun of.

There was a girl at our local that actually WON a tournament here. So that proves it.

Then you, like him/her, missed the point.

This wasn't made so that women can win tournaments.

This was made so that women who love playing Smash can get together and play the game without the fear of being harassed, not taken seriously, etc.

And frankly, nowhere in the article does it imply that women are naturally inferior in Smash then men. So I don't know where the hell the dissenters are pulling that from.

Last edited:
there is a difference between banter and **** talk, and attacking someone personally. Again, you are literally the problem. I am against the idea of hugboxes and internet safe places, etc. If you cannot tell the difference, you're the problem.

This "you're the problem" is one of the most terrifying things someone can say in public discourse. This is partially because it's a bullying tactic, and partially because it is utter bullocks.

The only problem is the actual problem. People who aren't overly sympathetic to you or are on your side but come at a solution from a different angle are NOT the problem. This guy gave advice of toughening up. Maybe that's not enough for you or doesn't work for you or you want better for yourself and all people affected by this. That's totally fine. But that's clearly his way of trying to help people who are looking for a better situation for themselves. Both of your ideals lead to the same place: people feeling more comfortable at tournaments and around other Smashers. Please appreciate that you both want the same thing. Don't dismiss allies with a different view as "the problem."

True story: a select few members of the gaming world decided that they didn't like me a few years before I got into Smash. They made a neo-nazi facebook account made to look just like me so I couldn't manage to get a job when employers searched.
Honestly I think "gaming world" or "gaming community" is a misnomer. Too many people from too many walks of life play video games at this point. It's nice to romanticize it like we often do, spouting some line about how different people can come together for the same passion or purpose. But often, while people have the same passion for the same games, there is no coming together. Gaming has become too commonplace to mean anything. Do you truly feel a sense of camaraderie with all people everywhere who eat, for example? Who sleep? Do you especially feel close to those who breathe oxygen?

I hope what I am saying makes sense. The gamers who did that to you weren't fellow members of some true community. They were simply pieces of ****..... who happened to also play video games. They can't be used to showcase how the gaming community needs fixing or something, because there isn't really a gaming community. If there is any community, it's the one you build around yourself.

i am. your argument is just painful and youve shown you have no context for anything. But seriously as i said earlier: i'm mocking that person for acting like "oh you just need to have thick skin" when hes a kid who likely has never had to face the wrath of the toxic anonymity of internet gaming culture due to your gender and then has the gall to suggest that we're starting a "crusade against gamers" by wanting to erase that to as much of an extent as we can and acting as though he's the victim is seriously disgusting and so no way was i not going to mock him for his entitled lil tantrum.

Honestly how people (can) act on the internet proves that humans aren't ready for the internet. Information-wise, it is incredible. Socially.... we clearly weren't designed to talk to thousands of people at once. Sorry if you've been on the wrong end of the **** show.

But there does come a point where you probably should toughen up.... or at least ignore things. You can't shame people into not being ****ty so long as the wall of anonymity is there. And it will always reach cancer levels in places like Twitch chat where people can congeal into a wall of ****-think.

You also can't correct the behavior because a lot of these people do not at all mean what they say. They are acting out in front of others for some .5 seconds of fame that no one cares about, not even themselves. Someone could type GRILL in chat but then be completely normal about women in real life and not even care that a girl is at the tournament being streamed.

Don't get me wrong. In one on one discourse like this, it's fine to engage people and say "Hey let's talk about this thing you said." Ideally both sides will be civil but there are always factors bubbling beneath the surface. Someone who has experienced much adversity will be annoyed at the prospect of having to hand-hold someone who hasn't lived the life being discussed. Since they don't live it, they don't have to think it through as much or might have incorrect presumptions. The person who HAS lived this life might get fed up pretty quickly and blow their top.

But tackling some sort of phantom toxicity floating around is like trying to choke water. You're not going to get anywhere, so ignore it or don't let it faze you.

I tried to find some people for this article and had little luck. If anyone like this would like to talk to me, I would happily write another article :)
Do you mean mtf's (male-to-female) or ftm's (female-to-male)? I myself am a mtf and would be more than happy to talk about my experience.

wow, I appreciate this article as a transwoman myself. Makes me feel more comfortable ; v;
Same. Where I'm from there's not a whole lot of support or tolerance. Going to events and trying to be myself can be uncomfortable. But I was so happy to see this. It made my day.

A scary number of people here seem to be missing the point. The reason it's noteworthy and should be mentioned is because Smash (and competitive gaming as a whole) is predominantly male, and before recent times comp communities have been known for ostracizing others for not fitting in. The attitude of "it doesn't matter" is only a good attitude to have after it's been determined that all are truly welcome without prejudice. Even if the direct reasons are in the past, the relative lack of high level female and LGBT smash players is definitely a result of old attitudes, and articles like these let people know that we are indeed an open, friendly, and tolerant community :)

Uh......?

Why is there an article like this on Smash Boards?
With buzzwords no less.

This honestly has nothing to do with the game itself and has nothing to do with the competitive scene, or even friendly matches.

I don't know who wrote this or who all thought this would be good, but...
All this is going to do is tear everything and everyone apart.

This is a big mistake.
It is only going to serve in damaging these boards and if left to continue, will end up destroying it and it's members.

Nothing good will come of this.

Uh......?

With buzzwords no less.

This honestly has nothing to do with the game itself and has nothing to do with the competitive scene, or even friendly matches.

This is a big mistake.
It is only going to serve in damaging these boards and if left to continue, will end up destroying it and it's members.

That's because SmashCapps has pride on the Complex/TMZ kind of articles he writes on this site, once he saw that Ricki article he had to get on that

Either way terrible article with no real point behind it, Xaltis is a scrub regardless of gender who isn't relevant in any way

Smash Sisters is an exhibition crew battle, like with the genesis 3 draft crews. It's a side event, and anyone has the ability to co-ordinate side events with tournament hosts. Saying it's a separate girls-only tournament is misleading.

That's because SmashCapps has pride on the Complex/TMZ kind of articles he writes on this site, once he saw that Ricki article he had to get on that
I know the article you are talking about, this was actually in the works quite a bit before that! Several weeks actually. It took a long time to get done, the timing is pure coincidence.

Either way terrible article with no real point behind it, Xaltis is a scrub regardless of gender who isn't relevant in any way
Sorry you feel that way. A lot of people really enjoyed it, and it's been a big positive for quite a few others.

But tackling some sort of phantom toxicity floating around is like trying to choke water. You're not going to get anywhere, so ignore it or don't let it faze you.
You gave concrete examples of toxic behavior, like being a jackass and yelling grill in twitch chat every time a woman comes on, and reasons not to engage people in your (frankly tl;dr) post, so I don't understand how you can call it 'phantom'.

Telling people to toughen up or ignore the issues they face for who they are is not a constructive means of bettering anything, and really just serves to dismissively hand-wave any sort of concerns the player, group, or overall community might have on such behaviors. As such, dismissive attitudes like the one you have underscored repeatedly in your post can, in fact, contribute negatively towards individuals who experience distress or harm from being isolated and attacked, and could therefore easily, and legitimately, be considered part of the problems individuals face when it comes to the structural attitudes which facilitate the abuse of marginalized people.

Uh......?

With buzzwords no less.

This does have something to do with the community and points out a very apparent flaw with it. As much as you'd like to pretend it doesn't matter, it does.

This is a big mistake.

You're definitely over-exaggerating. All this article has down is ask people to be more welcoming and inclusive with the added bonus of weeding out the transphobic/mysogynistic folks in the community. It's cleaning it up and making Smash a friendlier, more inviting place
That's because SmashCapps has pride on the Complex/TMZ kind of articles SHE writes on this site, once SHE saw that Ricki article he had to get on that

SmashCapps is a she, learn to use the proper pronoun.

There have been high profile examples in the smash community history, of individuals predatorily, opportunistically, or exclusionarily seeking out and targeting members of marginalized groups, as with the APEX staff incident with trans women, which was discussed in this article. If the cultural norm is that nobody mentions or notices the identities or contributions of trans women or other marginalized groups within the community, the only recognition they will have of their identities will be by these kinds of exclusionary activities by people inside and outside of the smash community or their local smash community. As a result, it's constructive, good, and welcoming that we as a community visibly recognize both those kinds of issues that these women have faced, as well as their contributions to the community.

Pandering is when a person disingenuously makes something to appeal to a separate individual or group's ideas. That sort of disingenuous appeal simply isn't possible in this context, as the article is written for trans women in the smash community, by a trans woman in the smash community.

Also, I'm curious, your use of the phrase "special snowflake" is ambiguous, do you mean to say the identities of these individuals is invalid, as has been the case with its use on other places on the internet?

Omg this article when right over my head oops ._.;;

Another great article LiteralGrill LiteralGrill ! 10/10 ^~^ And I know I've already said it, but congratulations on finally coming out about your transition! :dr^_^:

Top Bottom