• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

Wow no mention ? :( . Lol not important. Great article. Nyani being out there contributed to me being more open and comfortable in transitioning.

Most of the community is great in person towards me personally. The only time I see a ton of attacking towards myself and other transwomen (and women in general), is on twitch chats, where it's excessively awful. The former is more important though , and I love this community
Look again! You got a mention. :)

Oh for ****s sake

SJWs have inflitrated the Smash Bros community too??

GET THE **** OUT. YOU RUIN EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH.
Anyone else fed up with the term "SJW" being thrown around incorrectly and thus losing what little meaning it even had left?
Because I know I am.

Last edited:
Anyone else fed up with the term "SJW" being thrown around incorrectly and thus losing what little meaning it even had?
Because I know I am.
I'm going to break my code of conduct right here and say yes, I'm realllly ****ing sick of it. Soooo much.
Not just related to my transgender crap, just, everything about it. lol

This feels wonderful to contribute to articles like these~ It's really nice to have such support from the Smash community as a whole :)

~ Love, Cosmic Witch

Last edited:
Soooooooooo...Being pro transgender people = SJW. First of all, way too late on the 'They infiltrated my community' thing, second, there's a difference between SJW and thinking people deserve equal rights. SJW don't want equal rights, but they want people with coloured skin, women and LGBT to get all rights where the rest gets none. Equality means equal, everyone is the same, regardless of skin colour, gender, sexuality. I would treat a white straight guy the same as a black lesbian, does that make me an SJW?
No, being pro transgender doesn't mean you're an sjw.
As long as people don't pull stunts like forcing draconian code of conducts on the community, creating drama for the sake of it, doxing people for wrongthink, and creating safe spaces for special snowflakes, it's fine by me.

Our scene has a few trans regulars, and the most remarkable thing about it is nobody - not one person out of our ~70 attendees - has called attention to it. To me, this is how it should be, because in the end we're all just people.

That said, our community's lucky to have such a large group of people who know how to respect one another. Not all scenes are that lucky. If it were a problem in our scene, personally I'd share the concern that separation may wind up creating a permanent rift, though I recognize I'm not the person this is for and therefore I don't know what's best. I would say it's an incomplete solution, however - they aren't the problem, the people who look down on them are. I would think the solution should target correcting those individuals, or removing them if correction is impossible.

Last edited:
As long as people don't pull stunts like forcing draconian code of conducts on the community, creating drama for the sake of it, doxing people for wrongthink, and creating safe spaces for special snowflakes, it's fine by me.
My apologies for misunderstanding you then

Hah!
I feel afraid to speak what I know to be biological and psychological truth, for I fear punishment for being """transphobic."""

Hah!
I feel afraid to speak what I know to be biological and psychological truth, for I fear punishment for being """transphobic."""
I've been on a part of this site in which someone did something. Sure, they lost respect, but they weren't infracted. Because they were still being civil and made it clear it was simply their opinion and if anyone is LGBT, that's their life, so they can do what they feel is right. Didn't even get a warning

I'm a social justice black mage, does this affect my rolls/damage output??

Hah!
I think the issue is more that it kind of doesn't matter here, it doesn't change the topic discussed no matter how much you think trans identities don't exist.

I'm sure there's plenty of debate threads you could create to express your views (theres already 2 there discussing stuff related to it), although I admit to being a tad skeptical you really know the biological and psychological truth if you're that adamant about it, biological essentialism is truly a dangerous thing.

btw i get if the mods are peeved at how annoying children are descending like rain, but I really like seeing this comment section and all the voices that would've otherwise remained silent. I feel alot less alone in this community when I see that.
This is why we need programs like smash sisters.

Last edited:
I think the issue is more that it kind of doesn't matter here, it doesn't change the topic discussed no matter how much you think trans identities don't exist.

I'm sure there's plenty of debate threads you could create to express your views (theres already 2 there discussing stuff related to it), although I admit to being a tad skeptical you really know the biological and psychological truth if you're that adamant about it, biological essentialism is truly a dangerous thing.
Lmao saying his opinion don't matter here because it doesn't change the topic.... Using the front page of Smashboards to push a political agenda is disgusting no matter which side you sit on. If this was from the other sides perspective being posted here you and the rest of you liberal "progressive" lot would be up in arms about it. Disgusting political bias does not belong here.

Last edited:
Lmao saying his opinion don't matter here because it doesn't change the topic.... Using the front page of Smashboards to push a political agenda is disgusting no matter which side you sit on. If this was from the other sides perspective being posted here you and the rest of you liberal "progressive" lot would be up in arms about it. Disgusting political bias does not belong here.
*Her*
Smashcapps isn't a guy, so don't call her one. Likewise, you aren't a piece of ****, so I won't call you one. It's being fair. Are you the kind of person who says anyone as an SJW?

He has the freedom to say whatever he wants, *shrug*
I'm not going to suddenly stop him from saying it.

But the fact remains that debates about the nature of psychological and biological gender itself are better suited to an all out debate thread then a news source, it's going to veer waaayyy off topic because there's so much to discuss.

Trust me, I've been researching this stuff for years. There's a ton of nuance in that that isn't fit for this area, even if i can't stop you I'm highly recommending you move such a debate there.

Ohwait Girthquake I thought you meant Smashcapps with him. If you didn't, my apologies,I only slept 4 hours and it's getting late

Are you blind? I was talking about Jaedriks post. I wasn't calling Smashcapps a guy. Please stop with your strawmans.

Lol what kind of question is that? "Are you the kind of person who says anyone as an SJW?" No I don't see everyone and anyone as an SJW but the fact is pushing this political agenda on a platform it doesn't belong in is something SJWs would do.

EDIT: I see you realize the misunderstanding ignore the first part of my post.

Last edited:
Are you blind? I was talking about Jaedriks post. I wasn't calling Smashcapps a guy. Please stop with your strawmans.

Lol what kind of question is that? "Are you the kind of person who says anyone as an SJW?" No I don't see everyone and anyone as an SJW but the fact is pushing this political agenda on a platform it doesn't belong in is something SJWs would do.
Ohwait Girthquake I thought you meant Smashcapps with him. If you didn't, my apologies,I only slept 4 hours and it's getting late
Again, my apologies, I get stuff mixed up easily. Second, this is equal rights stuff, that's not being SJW, it's thinking a white cishet guy is the same as a black transgender lesbian. Not giving a **** about all of that stuff is equality.

I don't particularly care about the transgender thing. People are just people and in the smash community it's about how you play what matters most. There is no need to look further than that.
Nyani being a Mii swordfighter main like myself is something I don't see every day. I really hope she'll read this, because the one and only guide on Mii swordfighter has been updated today. I watched her match on this article and despite that she won, she was choosing not too optimal choices all the time. That gave me the idea that she'll really benefit of reading it. Oh, and congrats on winning with a tall Mii, those are such slowpokes. You should see the shortest thinnest ones in action!
If you're ever interested in the character, the guide will tell you almost everything about it.

This article has little no no coverage or knowlede of trans/nonbinary melee players, and little coverage of us at all. The writer clearly is only aware of smash 4.

Not happy with this article.

I mean honestly, I can't really recall any instance of someone going to a tournament who's transgender and being persecuted for it. Even if someone has an opinion about Transgenders that the "progressive" crowd would label as ignorant or offensive, they're still going to reasonable and rationally interact with people of that demographic.

The GAME is more important to those people than the political topic. If I have to interact with someone who's transgender I'm going to be a reasonable rational person to them because that's how you have to be to function in society.

Sure, Trasngender folk are victims in a lot of cases outside of this community that is undisputable. But for a community like this where the thing we all have in common is playing the game a majority of the people playing aren't going to care about playing with someone transgender and they aren't going to antagonize them. I really don't get why in a community that accepts this demographic we have to shove biased political agendas down everyone's throats.

I mean honestly, I can't really recall any instance of someone going to a tournament who's transgender and being persecuted for it. Even if someone has an opinion about Transgenders that the "progressive" crowd would label as ignorant or offensive, they're still going to reasonable and rationally interact with people of that demographic.

The GAME is more important to those people than the political topic. If I have to interact with someone who's transgender I'm going to be a reasonable rational person to them because that's how you have to be to function in society.

Sure, Trasngender folk are victims in a lot of cases outside of this community that is undisputable. But for a community like this where the thing we all have in common is playing the game a majority of the people playing aren't going to care about playing with someone transgender and they aren't going to antagonize them. I really don't get why in a community that accepts this demographic we have to shove biased political agendas down everyone's throats.
APEX 2015 iirc was when transgender smashers were harassed for being themselves

Guys, this is why people make fun of Smashboards.
Especially Gamefaqs. Those guys like to talk about this community like dog even though their toxic community isn't any better. The best you can expect out of Smash threads there are trolling and the tendency to hate everything that they don't agree with.

APEX 2015 iirc was when transgender smashers were harassed for being themselves
My point is, is that the majority of this community accepts this demographic. They really aren't victims here, so I don't get why there's such a ferocious desire to cry TRANSGENDER PEOPLE ARE VICTIMS IN THE SMASH COMMUNITY! on the front page of Smashboards

My point is, is that the majority of this community accepts this demographic. They really aren't victims here, so I don't get why there's such a ferocious desire to cry TRANSGENDER PEOPLE ARE VICTIMS IN THE SMASH COMMUNITY! on the front page of Smashboards
Actually, I can think of reasons. 1: Smashcapps coming out on the site and 2: A female only event.

Care to provide some actual evidence to back up your point then?
Lmao k provide evidence that they don't? Since joining this community I've run into a large number of transgender players and I've seen nothing but support and acceptance for them.

I appreciate the attempt, but if we're so accepting of trans people then showing a qualitative look at some of them really shouldn't be that controversial at all. Seemed more like an attempt to encourage trans people to participate more in community itself. To "show" that acceptance.

If you really want to place something on the main site that is apparently "politically biased" (in the reverse) then I don't really have a problem with it. As long as its related to smash and its community and focuses on their influence, there shouldn't be an issue. I mean I don't have control so *shrug* , but that's how i'd do it.
This is not a platform to debate the topics themselves (which is why I pressed him earlier to take it to a debate thread), so yes, in that regard I'd be against politically biased stuff, but otherwise...

Ok, I'm done! Go ahead have your dumb little "safe space" but remember it's people like you who are ruining This community and Video Games in general
It's very clear you won't listen to anybody except yourself so I don't understand why you bothered posting at all.. it was a fine article and you had to bring up something that wasn't even the main focus to be upset over nothing.

Oh for ****s sake

SJWs have inflitrated the Smash Bros community too??

GET THE **** OUT. YOU RUIN EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH.

Has anybody lost their child? Small child, very loud and aggressive.. might break something.

Last edited:
How did this get toxic so fast? Someone always has to be mad for no reason.

If your post includes "SJW", "It doesn't matter!", or "sin" you're better off not posting it. Please.

Segregating based on gender is against the spirit of competition imo. There's nothing that gives one gender an inherent advantage in Smash as opposed to regular sports, and that's one beautiful thing about it. I like fighting games because all that matters is how good you are at the game, and if I was segregated into a group of players separate from everyone, that would never help me get better. If people put me into some special group because I was gay or only paid attention cause "Yo it's a gay person playing smash", that'd be nothing less than insulting.
agh, I feel like I contributed to this misconception with my second post.

They're not actually separated, the tournaments that really matter are all open to anybody, regardless of race/gender/ethnicity/etc.
All they're doing is giving people someplace to go to feel more comfortable and confident (those female crew battles). Even if we didn't "host" tournies officially like that they'd be created anyway, and they're deeply important to some people. Why not let them? You're not required to go to them...

Last edited:
>article today
>128 messages.

...damn.

Edit: and now i'm watching the post count slowly go down. GG. This is making my day

Last edited:
This sums up what i was trying to say. if there's a difference in skill within genders i don't see it and i'd like to compete with anyone that likes to smash to improve my ability. While having the ability to invite (having unisex tourneys) and attract a specific demographic (smash sistas) it can be seen as separating a community that's already inclusive to everyone . saying we need isolated tourneys does nothing for the community besides isolate. there have been issues in the community before, it's not rampant so let's not act like it is. for the most part smashers are cool ppls... IMHO

edit:
for those that want the a different type of bracket fine just say you do, don't make it to be about something it really isn't.

Last edited:
Who on earth said anything about a different bracket? Smash Sisters is a crew battle.

But by all means, don't let a little bit of reading get in the way of your urge to shout your useless opinions about things that don't exist.

Here's the thing...

Gender doesn't really matter to me. What matters is how well people get along. Sure gender can be a reason for not getting along, but so can sexual preferences, religious beliefs, and even race. However, I don't think any of these should really impact our interactions with each other (most of the time).

Like I already said, I have some... thoughts on transgender people, but that doesn't mean I should discriminate against them. Once again, this applies to almost everyone. Gays, Christians, Buddhist, Bayonetta players, trans, black, Hispanic, etc...

I personally think that we can all learn to embrace each other, without letting are personal beliefs get in the way, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom