• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcending Barriers: Transgender Women in Smash

The Smash community has long been known as a 'community for everyone', and it shows through our actions. We have built our community around a love of Nintendo, the Smash series, and each other. As Prog so eloquently put it: "It doesn't matter if you're disabled, your race, gender expression, or your sexual orientation. It matters more what game you play and what character you're playing." We have seen transgender women like Maria "Remilia" Creveling and Ricki Sophie Ortiz have success within the professional gaming community, and the same can be said for the Smash community.

Within Smash there are several high profile Smash players like CT | Nyani and Aether | Xaltis who regularly attend and even commentate at events. Community projects like Smash Sisters, special side events hosted at tournaments for female players, have trans-women competing regardless of their current status within transition. "I'd say [Smash] is a safe haven from problems at home," Cosmic Witch, a trans Smasher, told us. "Everyone is supportive and very nice." Xaltis, who attended the first Smash Sisters event, also had a glowing review: "Smash Sisters has done wonders for me, the all girls event allowing me to participate even though I am trans made me feel great about myself."

The First #SmashSisters Event Had Crew Battles At Genesis 3

While the Smash Sisters event was heavily praised, Nyani mentioned that some trans-women who had not yet transitioned were worried about if they belonged at the event: "The heartbreaking part for me was seeing that there were certainly a few pre-transition individuals who expressed not feeling like they belonged. Though i felt that it came more from a personal place of shyness rather than them feeling the environment didn't welcome them." However, she was firm in saying, "Smash Sisters is for ALL the sisters."

Some have expressed concern with the potential for trolls or those trying to 'make a statement' to potentially bring down the event as well due to its acceptance of pre-transitioned competitors. "Why shouldn't, say, notorious troll Angel Cortes don a dress and claim to be trans for a day just to try and snipe some prize money?" Nyani wondered. "The idea here is that we don't really define being of the female gender by looks or anything and gender identity is something that only you can know for sure about yourself. There's no solid grounds to refute them doing so, and challenging someone on it gets into the sketchy territory of aggressively gendering someone."

Despite this, she felt confident such a thing would likely not happen, or if it did, it wouldn't be very impactful. "I think the big thing is that so far, there has been no actual prize money involved in Smash Sisters events. So really, aside from just trying to 'make some kind of statement', there's not much reason for anyone to try to do that. Even if they did, wouldn't it more so just make the statement that Smashers are just super accepting of everyone? Overall the most important thing is that it seems the events are being respected, and if it's an attitude of respect we're seeing then efforts to undermine these events from within the community should be pretty uncommon."

Xaltis With A Luma In Tow

Even outside of events catering to women, many trans Smashers have found attending live events to be a very positive experience after transitioning. "The majority of the smash community seems to treat me as if nothing has changed," Snakeee, another transgender Smasher, told us. "I definitely prefer that over people being negative about it, but really I appreciate the ones that notice my changes in a positive light, and even pay me compliments."

Xaltis recalled her first time coming out to the community at a major event: "My first event I came out to the community was EVO 2015. Only my South Florida scene knew about me at that time. But most of the Smash community at EVO was accepting of it."

As sad as it is, even within our accepting community there are still dangers for these women at events. "Nobody should have to have any worries when attending events! Trans, CIS, purple, elves, even Sonic mains. Everyone should be able to waltz in worry free, pal around with the other players, and smash some bros." Nyani said. "However, I understand that this is not the world we live in."

Xaltis discussed on how the community still has issues despite its generally positive nature: "Not every player has been supportive of this, some have even said negative things about it. Stream chats continue to remain negative about it, but I think over time they will get better."

Nyani herself was personally outed as trans during some serious issues involving Alex Strife, a once prominent tournament organizer for the Apex tournament series. Other trans-women receive harassment at events as well. "For events there is the stream chat and maybe a few people who will give you weird looks," Xaltis explained. "This also goes to when you get food at places near the event." Nyani also added, "A lot of people fail to realize is, especially for trans people early in transition, or those of a lower level of passing, the threat of violence can be very real."

With these risks in mind, Nyani had ideas on how events could be made a better place for trans-women to attend: "I think the biggest thing is probably something that carries over from society in general, and that's respecting the identities of trans people based not so much on what you see, but on who they feel they are. Or more simply, don't judge non-passing trans individuals, especially behind their backs. A lot of us are coming from different points in transition, some further along than others. So, some people may be eager to use pronouns that fit their desired gender, while some may be shy to start doing so until they feel they're 'passing'. Same goes with names, and clothing."

A unique issue with players transitioning in the community is the alias they use while gaming. "A lot of long-time members of the community have been finding the confidence to transition in recent years," Nyani told us. "A VERY important thing about this is that if they choose to change tags, that needs to be respected. In Smash, a tag is basically your name within the scene. As such, a lot of trans individuals, myself included, will associate an old tag with their old self, and very much prefer not to be called by it. I don't want to hear any 'Hey didn't you used to be (x)' types of comments - focus more on the now."

Nyani Competing With Her Signature Mii Swordfighter

Both Nyani and Xaltis had words of encouragement for those within the community who are transgender. "Believe in yourself," Nyani said. "If you feel your identity doesn't match your gender role, physical presentation, or what have you, don't get caught up wondering if that makes you weird, defective, or if it's just silly. You are who you are, and nobody knows that better than you. A lot of people are going to have a lot of things to say about it, but at the end of the day, what's the MOST important, is what YOU think about you. Learn to value your view of yourself above all others, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll be invincible."

Xaltis had this to say: "I always wish I would have come out and started everything when I was younger. But MAKE SURE your families would be okay with it; in some cases families are not always supportive of the transgender lives and make it hard on their kids.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, whether you're a trans girl or a trans boy. Everyone should be welcomed in the Smash community. Just have fun and play the game while hanging out with your buddies. There's many people who are accepting of transgender people, so don't be discouraged if you come across a couple who aren't accepting or supportive of you."

---​

Editor's Note: We may have room to improve, but as a whole our community is a positive force in the world of competitive eSports. As transgender women break barriers within eSports and find acceptance, hopefully our community serves as a shining example of how things should be done. Our community can accept any and all with open arms, and all are welcome here on Smashboards. Feel free to discuss in the comments, but be sure to keep things clean.

Comments

The thing is, nobody is hosting "all male tournaments". If they are, they should be criminalized for discrimination. Why is it okay to do it for any other demographic? If we're all gamers, we're all gamers. It's a label that has no specific sex linked to it, and therefore, should not be treated like it is.
Because men aren't marginalized. We already dominate the scene, so it's understandable that non-men might be intimidated.

Think about it; if you were to hold an all-male tournament, you'd only be cutting out maybe 5% of your player base. That just makes us look like jerks.

Wow. I knew the comments would be full of laughs.

What I found most hilarious were those who tried to write the whole thing off with ridiculous notions that "gender doesn't matter; you're a smasher." This is a toxic mentality that is cancerous within the gaming community that thinks people who try to highlight their differences such as being a women, gay, trans, or what have you as being attention seeking. That's completely ridiculous and should be removed from the community. If certain groups of people who may feel marginalized wants to make a tournament that focuses on them and their issues; I feel we as a community should do everything to show our support instead of fighting against it. For some, gender/orientation matters greatly and we shouldn't write it off and dismiss is so casually as a community. Issues like those should be brought to the forefront and accommodated in order to make the community safe for all walks of life. Not just heterosexual white men with neckbeards.

Last edited:
Why does anyone care? Like be who you are if you play smash sick, no one should care about the face of the community but simply the composure and personalities. Congrats you play smash! Your gender doesn't matter here..
So much win right here

I don't get why twitch chat is even being mentioned. 99% of the squat there is post-ironic circlejerking, and I thought everyone knew that.

Unrelated, but I actually find a lot of twitch memes incredibly funny, even the obviously ironic/stupid ones. "I'm riding the Twitch chat elevator PogChamp" gets me every time.

I don't get why twitch chat is even being mentioned. 99% of the squat there is post-ironic circlejerking, and I thought everyone knew that.

Unrelated, but I actually find a lot of twitch memes incredibly funny, even the obviously ironic/stupid ones. "I'm riding the Twitch chat elevator PogChamp" gets me every time.
To be fair, the literal influx of negativity can be overwhelming to some and twitch can provide that in spades. Interpretations and emotions are icky subjects, and if people feel so inclined they shouldn't have to deal with it, *shrug*. It's usually all just a mess of memes anyway, so if you find something funny in it godspeed. (I enjoy reaction videos myself.)

Okay uhm, I don't mean to suddenly switch sides but can i get a reason for the sudden increase in warnings for people...?

Kind of threw me for a loop because i didn't remember those posts getting infracs when I made my first post about it, now I feel kind of dumb....lol

Last edited:
This comment thread is living and evolving evidence for why the Smash Sisters events are necessary, and a very very good thing

Good job angry people, all you are doing is helping the causes discussed in the article.

That and providing some quality chuckles for me.

Man, the articles these days sure are strange. Not sure I agree with people trying to change the way the fgc is. It's lasted so long for a reason. Being easily offended is not it.

Last edited:
User was warned for this post
Because men aren't marginalized. We already dominate the scene, so it's understandable that non-men might be intimidated.

Think about it; if you were to hold an all-male tournament, you'd only be cutting out maybe 5% of your player base. That just makes us look like jerks.
It'seems the same principle, regardless. True equality doesn'the involve compensation, it involves compromise. The compromise is that everyone gets the same opportunities, along with the same freedoms, the same consequences, and the same criticism. Just because a place "should be safe" in someone'special opinion doesn'the mean it'seems the most objective choice.

Wow. I knew the comments would be full of laughs.

What I found most hilarious were those who tried to write the whole thing off with ridiculous notions that "gender doesn't matter; you're a smasher." This is a toxic mentality that is cancerous within the gaming community that thinks people who try to highlight their differences such as being a women, gay, trans, or what have you as being attention seeking. That's completely ridiculous and should be removed from the community. If certain groups of people who may feel marginalized wants to make a tournament that focuses on them and their issues; I feel we as a community should do everything to show our support instead of fighting against it. For some, gender/orientation matters greatly and we shouldn't write it off and dismiss is so casually as a community. Issues like those should be brought to the forefront and accommodated in order to make the community safe for all walks of life. Not just heterosexual white men with neckbeards.
I speak regarding the competitive community, because tournaments garner competition. Competition is based on determining who is the best, and that is the bottom line. Making a league of only women or only gays or only transgender people is a cripple to competition, because now, instead of trying to find out who is the best, your search is much, much narrower, and instead of looking at solely skill, you're focusing on genitals. If I could win just because I had a penis, I'd attend any and every event possible. It seems immoral to say "separate but equal" in this case as much as any.

How I think it should work. Seperation at first, then after female smashers aren't seen as spectators for their boyfriends, about a year max, no more seperation
Just like the blacks. That's horrible.

oh my god! Lmao are you ****ing kidding me you stupid Feminist ****! There is no harassment in this community towards women. I'm a woman myself and guess what? I don't get harassed because I'm not an over sensitive prick! It's You who are the one making a big deal out of nothing.
As much as I laughed at this, I'm afraid you can't speak for all women. I agree with your position, but your reasoning is faulty.

Wow you are? That's cute, now imagine how women who are constantly harrassed and belittled at tournaments feel.

Get over yourself and stop acting like a child.

But seriously it sounds like you need a "safe space" you know... The concept you were just making fun of
I hardly believe it's a majority of women.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dividing the community into different groups based on gender and sexuality is stupid. You know how to be inclusive? Carry on as we have for 14 years. If you like to play, do so. You're very welcome, but don't expect to be treated any better or worse based on whether you have a vagina or penis, both, or neither, or whether you're disabled(You may have trouble doing drillshines, but there's always Brawl!). If you share the passion, there really shouldn't be anything stopping you from participating.
If you don't ''feel safe'' going to tournaments, that's on you. Sorry you feel that way, but I don't think it's right to ask for the entire community to change to fit your feelings.
I'd also like to point out that whatever you read in the Twitch chat does not reflect the community at large.

I may disagree with religion but I'm not going to be against allowing Christians to host thier own tournaments. If it allows them to be within an environment that they don't feel persecuted and ostracized; then I support it. People rag on the idea of safe zones but rheres a reason why it's an issue: people don't feel safe. There are those who say "but up and don't be so sensitive" (or may say it more colorfully) but I feel that rhetoric is restrictive and not progressive in bettering this community.

I speak regarding the competitive community, because tournaments garner competition. Competition is based on determining who is the best, and that is the bottom line. Making a league of only women or only gays or only transgender people is a cripple to competition, because now, instead of trying to find out who is the best, your search is much, much narrower, and instead of looking at solely skill, you're focusing on genitals. If I could win just because I had a penis, I'd attend any and every event possible. It seems immoral to say "separate but equal" in this case as much as any.
So, in order to maintain a competetive community, we should tell people who feel marginalized to "suck it up, stop being a ***** about your feelings, and learn to take a joke?"

I find it hilarious that when people tell those marginalized/offended by the community to suck it up; the very same people then get offended when those who are marginalized tells them to "stop making **** jokes".

Last edited:
It'seems the same principle, regardless. True equality doesn'the involve compensation, it involves compromise. The compromise is that everyone gets the same opportunities, along with the same freedoms, the same consequences, and the same criticism. Just because a place "should be safe" in someone'special opinion doesn'the mean it'seems the most objective choice.
Sadly, 'true equality' is a fantasy, at least for now. We can agree that it's the ideal we're striving towards, but equality can't be obtained by waving a hand and pretending inequality doesn't exist.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but you're asking the minority party in need to make compromises in order to stand with the majority party in power. This is such an easy mistake to make, I can't fault you for it - I used to think this way myself, in all honesty, until I realized the fallacy beneath.

I may disagree with religion but I'm not going to be against allowing Christians to host thier own tournaments. If it allows them to be within an environment that they don't feel persecuted and ostracized; then I support it. People rag on the idea of safe zones but rheres a reason why it's an issue: people don't feel safe. There are those who say "but up and don't be so sensitive" (or may say it more colorfully) but I feel that rhetoric is restrictive and not progressive in bettering this community.
Reality isn't safe. This is a gaming community, a community focused on bringing people who only necessarily share one thing: playing Smash. There's no reason to force the community into social issues, because this is not the place for them. With that said, respect is earned, not given. When people feel so unsafe in everyday society that they cannot handle normal settings where this community gathers to be involved in the game that brings them together, they shouldn't be involved with that community. It is literally a segregated community that just so happens to share a similar video game taste.

When did I say that?
Reality isn't safe. This is a gaming community, a community focused on bringing people who only necessarily share one thing: playing Smash. There's no reason to force the community into social issues, because this is not the place for them. With that said, respect is earned, not given. When people feel so unsafe in everyday society that they cannot handle normal settings where this community gathers to be involved in the game that brings them together, they shouldn't be involved with that community. It is literally a segregated community that just so happens to share a similar video game taste.
That is effectively what you are saying to those who do not feel accepted by any given community due to marginalization. However, I was drawing more so from my interactions with other communities as well who are even more unwelcoming of those who are marginalized. Maybe I was putting words in your mouth but that's stuffi have seen across the board...not just this community.

Last edited:
I think I see the huge, glaring miscommunication that's got us all riled up...

OP isn't suggesting segregation. Y'all are raising pitchforks as if we're being asked to use separate drinking fountains. OP is suggesting a specialized league where women/nonbinaries can hone their skill without the pressure of feeling like they need to prove themselves to a man.

This is no different than a women's bowling league, or a women's tennis league, or women's basketball. It's a women's Smash league, nothing more.

I too enjoy the benefits of the status quo.

I realize that the status quo is harmful towards some people.

Because I am in a position where I have the capability to help, even just a little bit, I do what I can.

Nothing changes if you don't try. "It's just the way it is" is not an excuse to not do anything.

If you don't want to, don't but don't belittle those who do try. Enjoy your own apathy, you won't dragging us along though.

I think I see the huge, glaring miscommunication that's got us all riled up...

OP isn't suggesting segregation. Y'all are raising pitchforks as if we're being asked to use separate drinking fountains. OP is suggesting a specialized league where women/nonbinaries can hone their skill without the pressure of feeling like they need to prove themselves to a man.

This is no different than a women's bowling league, or a women's tennis league, or women's basketball. It's a women's Smash league, nothing more.
It is different. Sports are highly physical activities, and, biologically, women would be literally crushed by the men in these highly competitive sports (excluding bowling, but muscle can be an important factor in some ways). Smash is a mental game, where your mind is what matters most, not your physicality. Why else would us fat geeks be playing it so successfully?

You haven't given me any proof, so I can't believe your claim. Sorry.
You could start by talking to women, that would help.

Btw for one who is so quick to call out others for misrepresenting your arguments you sure were quick to misrepresent mine.

Not once did I say it was a majority.

I too enjoy the benefits of the status quo.

I realize that the status quo is harmful towards some people.

Because I am in a position where I have the capability to help, even just a little bit, I do what I can.

Nothing changes if you don't try. "It's just the way it is" is not an excuse to not do anything.

If you don't want to, don't but don't belittle those who do try. Enjoy your own apathy, you won't dragging us along though.
So you are openly admitting to trying to change reality? That is actually insane.

You could start by talking to women, that would help.

Btw for one who is so quick to call out others for misrepresenting your arguments you sure were quick to misrepresent mine.

Not once did I say it was a majority.
So instead of giving me the proof of your positive claim, which determines that you have the burden of proof, you tell me to find out for myself. That's extremely fallacious and dishonest in an argument.

"This is how the reality is right now so we shouldn't try and change it."

With this kind of wimpy thinking women would've never gotten the right to vote, Homosexuals would've never gotten the right to marry etc.

How do you change something you dislike? You start trying to change it. It has worked in the past and it will work in the future.

The funny thing is this entire thread has focused on the Smash Sisters events when in all reality this in no way was the focus on the article. The focus was supposed to be on the experiences of transgender women in our community ._.;

Ignore this jokster everyone, it isn't worth trying to argue with someone like this.

There is no escape from the depths of the rectum for some.

That is effectively what you are saying to those who do not feel accepted by any given community due to marginalization. However, I was drawing more so from my interactions with other communities as well who are even more unwelcoming of those who are marginalized. Maybe I was putting words in your mouth but that's stuffi have seen across the board...not just this community.
It's not effective to file someone's argument away because it looks similar to another. The point is that we should welcome people who love Smash, not separate them and tell them to love Smash somewhere else until they are ready to play with the "big boys". Instead of hiding from the harassment that I have no proof of, we need to tell that harassment to stop. Grow some backbone and stand up for yourself, your friends, and your fellow Smashers.

The funny thing is this entire thread has focused on the Smash Sisters events when in all reality this in no way was the focus on the article. The focus was supposed to be on the experiences of transgender women in our community ._.;
Wow. You are right. Personally, I am sorry.

Except that's not what I am saying. Your filter of my words and your speaking of people of whom you do not and cannot represent is totally skewing your view on my own opinion.
You are arguing that gender or orientation shouldn't matter in Smash and social issues don't belong there. What matters is skill and respect is given to those with skill. Those unable to feel safe within this community shouldn't be involved.

I understand what you are saying and agree that skill matters. However, social issues are becoming ingrained with everything we do and is a driving force for what people do. Having someone who is transgender come into the community only to feel ostracized by community through inappropriate comments, interactions, and situations obviously does not feel welcomed and unsafe. They do not return and the community doesn't progress forward and becomes stagnant.

Yes, gamers are gamers and race, gender, sex, orientation, and whatever else shouldn't matter. But it does to some people and, as a community, I think we should be accepting and supportive of that. I'm proud to see the Smash community to be more welcoming than most (FPS are the worse at this pbviously). But, unfortunately, we still get **** and sandwich jokes...

It's not effective to file someone's argument away because it looks similar to another. The point is that we should welcome people who love Smash, not separate them and tell them to love Smash somewhere else until they are ready to play with the "big boys". Instead of hiding from the harassment that I have no proof of, we need to tell that harassment to stop. Grow some backbone and stand up for yourself, your friends, and your fellow Smashers.
I disagree with telling people to "go play Smash somewhere else". If people, who may feel marginalized, wish to hold separate tournaments that focus on their own issues, then I think the community should be supportive. For me personally, I don't have a backbone and often require support from my family and friends. Perhaps that makes me weak and less of a man but that's me personally. I don't make many decisions without consulting my wife before doing it.

More so, I wish the community would be more accepting and learn to filter what they say and do to make the community more accommodating for others.

Last edited:
You are arguing that gender or orientation shouldn't matter in Smash and social issues don't belong there. What matters is skill and respect is given to those with skill. Those unable to feel safe within this community shouldn't be involved.

I understand what you are saying and agree that skill matters. However, social issues are becoming ingrained with everything we do and is a driving force for what people do. Having someone who is transgender come into the community only to feel ostracized by community through inappropriate comments, interactions, and situations obviously does not feel welcomed and unsafe. They do not return and the community doesn't progress forward and becomes stagnant.

Yes, gamers are gamers and race, gender, sex, orientation, and whatever else shouldn't matter. But it does to some people and, as a community, I think we should be accepting and supportive of that. I'm proud to see the Smash community to be more welcoming than most (FPS are the worse at this pbviously). But, unfortunately, we still get **** and sandwich jokes...
That's just it: a joke. If something offends you, you have all the right to be offended, just as you have the right to say to that person "piss off". Instead of cring because someone is ignorant to someone else, we should be striving to drive the focus back on being an actual person--an actual person who supposedly loves Smash. Respect your fellow Smasher, and play the games we love. That's just a general rule, but not every player is going to respect each and every other player.

Well there are a couple reasons for that, I think. If one regards transgender women as women, then the conversation just quickly moves on to issues women (of all kinds) face in Smash. Even if one doesn't feel that way about that demographic, there remains the topic of the side event both cis and trans women enter. There really isn't another practical topic to discuss. We could go into how they feel accepted at tournaments but not home or something, but that applies to multitudes of people from disparate groups.

Once again, you have no backbone to your argument. If anyone has an invalid position here, you do.
Using Logic 101 buzzwords doesn't give your argument a backbone.

In your case it makes you look pretentious.

Lemme clue you into a new trick to add to your bag of do-nothing "reasonable argument" tricks.

It's called the fallacy fallacy. Just because someone's argument contains a fallacy, doesn't mean their position is invalid.

D
Not surprising seeing ya boi DahremRuhar DahremRuhar all across these six pages getting into internet arguments that literally mean jack **** ROFL

Anyways, I think it's nice to have some awareness for this sort of thing in the Smash community. However, from an individual standpoint, I don't think it's an issue that should be addressed. We're just here to play some vidja, and it really doesn't matter who you are, or what you are, just play the game, do your thing, and respect one another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a knowledge of Melee, these two particular Smashers reached out to discuss some of these things so that's where I put my focus. The last thing I wanted to do was be rude and send people a message saying I knew they were trans and asking them if they'd talk about it. I worried that would be far worse and more uncomfortable for them. I promise this is in no way a bias towards Smash 4. I was just trying to have manners the best I could.
we would have rather you have reached out to us instead of not including us at all. any recognition is nice.

Using Logic 101 buzzwords doesn't give your argument a backbone.

In your case it makes you look pretentious.

Lemme clue you into a new trick to add to your bag of do-nothing "reasonable argument" tricks.

It's called the fallacy fallacy. Just because someone's argument contains a fallacy, doesn't mean their position is invalid.
It means their argument is invalid. You are correct, I did use the wrong term there, and I will fess up to that one, but your argument is absolutely absurd. Your attacks at my intelligence and attitude merely misdirecting from the fact that you have no support on your position. You literally make a claim and have faith that it'suffers true, regardless of any facts or statistics that support or don't support you. You just hope it's correct.

Top Bottom