• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training the combolicious ability of the Desynched IC.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So yesterday, without really any motivation, I randomly decided to go to OC3 this year. Sounds fun and everything, but the thing that's bothering me the most is the fact that I'm not too good. I want to at least put up a fight against some of the more famous names out there.

Because of this recent decision of mine, I've decided to train up a bit-- alone. (1P SSBM is so fun.)

Here's my routine so far:
  • Timed Match - 5 Minutes
  • Random Level 1 Computer
  • Random (Legal) Stage
  • Switch character after every match.

This routine has been getting me used to all of the different characters' gravity and everything, but at the same time, it's slowing me down (since they're so ********), and turning me totally wreckless.

So tell me, IC players of the world. How do you train your little ****** friends? And how has it been working out? I'm looking for a way to train my defensive maneuvering as well as desynched combos.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
When "training" alone, I wouldn't try to emulate a "real" match - just set it on unlimited time, and quit when you wanna change the situation up.

It's quite difficult to work on mindgames alone, but you can just work on your tech skill. You can get a feel for the physics of different characters, but keep in mind real people will DI.

Honestly when I can't play others but want to improve I typically just either work on tech and/or watch videos of the pros. See if you can get a feel of what they do when, and what combo's actually work on opponents that DI.

Try to find local tournies so you can try what you've learned out, you can only improve so much alone. Mindgames are essential.

Based on your join date I figure you already know all this, but from my experience there really isn't much else you can do alone.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
melee is not brawl, brawl is the ******** off spring ,it's truly sad. don't be an idiot and twist my words , but training is the best way to go

Binx

Smash Master
Training solo is very hard to do, for solo training, you pretty much ONLY practice things that true combo that are NOT effected by DI, and tech skills.

When I solo trained I work on varying the length of my wavedashes on command, perfect ledge hop wavedashes, perhaps trying to stay desynched would be a good one although I never really practiced that, platform wavelands, auto canceled uairs and bairs to get the timing down.

After that its all about practicing in matches. I place priority on spacing, and movement followed by good punishing, and then on varying your approaches and mixups. So at first I would make a point to not approach my opponent but instead let him attack me and just work on trying to stay certain distances away without looking like you are running away. Then move on to hitting him back HARD when he messes up (including edgeguarding) then work on safe approaches and keeping pressure on once you start hitting him (tech chases, and such).

- Brawl is NOT Melee, play melee XD

Top Bottom