• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training Regimen

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Do you practice/train? How do you?

I was just thinking about how I'm going to continue practicing technical things and incorporate them into my game. I'm going to practice spacing by bairing for an hour, lightstep against FD until I can do it consistently about fifty times.

That kind of stuff.

What ways do you practice? I'm hoping we can find some kind of regimen that works universally. That way we might all improve at a higher rate than we are now.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I created a map with spikes and stuff and in order to bair a bowser, without getting hit by spikes, I had to space bairs perfectly.

I also just jump around in training mode experimenting with w/e for hours. It's quite fun actually.

Also, in order to master something, try to be able to do it 10 times in a row.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
For flash cancelling, I just practiced it going off of a certain timing until I got it at least 10 times in a row 10 times. That's my usual criteria for training an AT-type thing (10x in a row x10 with some sort of cue as well).

I practiced spiking/recovering by going in training mode, bairing the CPU offstage, going for the spike, and recovering from every single possible angle on FD about an hour a day for a week >_> Or something like that. Maybe doing it on Lylat would be a good idea as well, you'd get used to the tilting at least.

Spacing, I do what Asaph does. I work on getting my SHFF bairs to come out as close to landing as possible, as well as what to do after it (followup if it connects, jumpshine if it doesn't). Usually done in training mode by picking a randon lv9 CPU so that you can't assume that every hit connects, plus it's easier to tell when you could get punished and whatnot.

Haven't made any custom stages yet, I really should think about that. Usually I just go to FD, unless I'm testing something out with platforms.

:059:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
The only practice I do with Wolf is just friendlies against my neighbor, and tournament matches. Hmm... and practicing ATs in the short time I have after I kill my opponent. That's it :)

Umm... though when I first started using Wolf I practiced canceling his Side B in the Sub Space Emissary because I was bored...

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
I practiced every tech wolf had besides 2 things, once boost smash and item boosting for the same reason, I don't really need them, you don't need a good glidetoss to fight diddy, and its a waste of time when I can be practicing mindgames, match ups, and other things. I try to create a new playing style, a one that suits be and is full of mindgames, different things, and change ups. I like to be different and use the same thing twice after I show my opponent new things I do so it catches them off guard. I like to practice on stages where Wolf can do a lot with his Wolf Flash and others things aswell. Try to practice and fit your own style.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
xzax, I highly recommend that you get every tech skill down first before working on your mindgames. Being able to boost smash and item boost gives you more options. With more options, you have more opportunities to mindgame your opponent. If you want to practice mindgames, doesn't it make sense that you are physically capable of performing all your different options first?

Also, against diddy kongs, being able to boost smash and item boosting is REALLY useful. I feel those techniques tips the matchup in Wolf's favor. Although it make take some time to implement boostsmashing/itemboosting into your game, TRUST ME when I say it's worth it.

Any diddy kong player who's played me can attest to that too, but if you want to handicap urself by not using those techniques, be my guest.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Ok thanks JJ, I will work on bootsmashing and item boosting but I am also working mindgames, just trying to figure out a different style that is unexpecting but also ***** XD

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
That's all we ever try to do xzax....Usually, a player just becomes known for ****** in one field or type of play x.x....IE M2K's a robot and does punishing/chaingrabbing QUITE effectively...
Also, I usually just play against random CPU's, trying not to be so predictable in my attacks, usually until I get around 50 kills....which, with 3 kills a match, can take a short time or awhile x.x The one thing that's pissing me off....some computers are just annoying as hell in 1v1 and love to attack me in 2v2 even when on my team
Also I hate luigi, wario n pit. They dodge n shield 80% or so of the attacks I throw, even when it's one I hadn't used yet or not in a long time...I should try out that 10x 10x thing....Might help me finally get flash cancel down consistently, among other things x.x (recently, my scarring hasnt been that reliable n i dont know why -.-)

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
That's all we ... i dont know why -.-)
I wouldn't recommend playing CPUs unless you've just turned on the game and want to loosen up. Playing computers promotes bad habits, reasons being they don't play like humans. Their reaction time is spot on and such.

Play friends or go on Wifi if you want matches. Other than that, I would recommend what I, JJ and others do.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I wouldn't recommend playing CPUs unless you've just turned on the game and want to loosen up. Playing computers promotes bad habits, reasons being they don't play like humans. Their reaction time is spot on and such.

Play friends or go on Wifi if you want matches. Other than that, I would recommend what I, JJ and others do.
Playing against CPUs only forms bad habbits if you let it.

When I go to a tournament after having practice on wifi for a month, I do really bad. When I go to a tournament after practicing against computers for a month, I do a lot better.

You just have to treat the computer like you're fighting a human, instead of deliberately exploiting its flaws.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Yeah, I know it does. But here's the list of people in my area who I know that I can play with;
My brother (Who I usually don't have much trouble beating, and he refuses to play with items off and I hate playing with em on now x.x)
My friend matt, who doesn't play smash much at all, and thus sucks
my friend micah, who loves to pause n look at funny poses, and usually just uses c. falcon. Also not that good.
my bro's friend mike moved to NY, and the 2 people I've played who gave me a run for my money live near micah's house, and with school startin soon, not sure how often we'll be able to play together.
Plus, it seems my mother is rather opposed to me going to local tournies right now -.- Unless i have someone, or there's parent supervision or a phone number -.-
I suppose it makes sense, but it makes it kinda hard to practice efficiently, ya?
And I know they have perfect timing. They seem to know how to shield the first hit of ftilt n grab before the second, as well as many other annoying things....

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Playing against CPUs only forms bad habbits if you let it.

When I go to a tournament after having practice on wifi for a month, I do really bad. When I go to a tournament after practicing against computers for a month, I do a lot better.

You just have to treat the computer like you're fighting a human, instead of deliberately exploiting its flaws.
But you're individual, not the mass, and you can't trust a person to know how to deal with a computer and keep their game play balanced.

And I do play computers as well, but only when I'm trying to get a feel for something. For example, I'm maining G&W as well now, and I wanted to know his moves. But what I never do is play the computer like a human. I play it like it's a computer. And I still keep my game play right for when I play a human.

But you can't trust every dude you come across to just keep their habits the same.

Yeah, I know it does. But here's the list of people in my area who I know that I can play with;
My brother (Who I usually don't have much trouble beating, and he refuses to play with items off and I hate playing with em on now x.x)
My friend matt, who doesn't play smash much at all, and thus sucks
my friend micah, who loves to pause n look at funny poses, and usually just uses c. falcon. Also not that good.
my bro's friend mike moved to NY, and the 2 people I've played who gave me a run for my money live near micah's house, and with school startin soon, not sure how often we'll be able to play together.
Plus, it seems my mother is rather opposed to me going to local tournies right now -.- Unless i have someone, or there's parent supervision or a phone number -.-
I suppose it makes sense, but it makes it kinda hard to practice efficiently, ya?
And I know they have perfect timing. They seem to know how to shield the first hit of ftilt n grab before the second, as well as many other annoying things....
That's how computers work. And the reason why I'm so against playing them (cause I rarely play them) is because no smasher here is a psychologist. It might look like we're not being affected, but we don't know that, and I don't mean to throw a bunch of BS out there, but you can't tell me you haven't been affected (and say you in a general sense, not you specifically Eon) by playing computers.

We also don't know how each person is affected individually. Hell, it might be good for you specifically to play computers, Eon. For me, it might not be. You just need to find what training regimen you can use to get better, whatever it may be.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Xzax, with what you said about mixups and a very unpredictable style of play, if you can get a good hold on that you will be a great wolf player. Wolf can quickly change between playstyles to throw your opponent off, take advantage of it. I'm expecting great things from you xD

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Perfectidiot would be happy to know that after practicing flash cancelling, I have a large success rate again. Now, must persist for another hour. =) This is my training regimen: redundance.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I start off by practicing how many AC Fair's I can do it a row, then I'll move onto bair on small to big characters. After that it's nothing but boost smashing and recovery.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Not for me. I'm not big on precision and timing. I'm also not mashing the b button. I dunno if you are or not, but to clarify, I'm pressing it once, and I'm always going for the mid cancel. Unless I cancel midway, I've failed. Regardless, I need to get it into muscle memory.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It isn't hard by any means, but the more you practice it the better, I guess. Can you tell me that you have perfect control over short and mid cancels? If you aren't 100% consistent, you can practice more. Sure, you probably have better things to do lol but still, my point stands.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
It isn't hard by any means, but the more you practice it the better, I guess. Can you tell me that you have perfect control over short and mid cancels? If you aren't 100% consistent, you can practice more. Sure, you probably have better things to do lol but still, my point stands.

On the days I play 100% Wolf, I do have full control over mid and short cancels :D But yeah, I see your point.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
my other strategy is eat lots of bran flakes. the more fiber the better. i just play much better on the toilet. helps me relax.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
-_- lol you and your techskill :p I blame the ICs >_>

Not like you really need techskill for flash cancel, but still lol

If it makes you feel better, I don't know anything technical with my other alt, Jiggs :) (unless you count DACUS, which is easly lol) Flash Canceling with Wolf just happens to be fun.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
If it makes you feel better, I don't know anything technical with my other alt, Jiggs :) (unless you count DACUS, which is easly lol) Flash Canceling with Wolf just happens to be fun.
Lol xD I guess in some strange way that helps haha. And yeah, flash cancelling is awesome <3

THREAD BACK ON TOPIC NOW: I usually practice AT-type things in training mode first, then in matches against computers to see how I can work it into my gameplay. Once I'm comfortable with that, I use it more in serious matches.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Yeah I am currently working on new and inventive things for myself and a style I can win with. Enduring camping, lazer tricks, and other mindgames. Getting Boostsmash and JC Fairing down currently. It shouldn't be to long XD

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I am currently working on new and inventive things for myself and a style I can win with. Enduring camping, lazer tricks, and other mindgames. Getting Boostsmash and JC Fairing down currently. It shouldn't be to long XD
Could you please stop always to talk about "mindgames"?
You can't practice mindgames, you can at best practice set ups for them, because they base on experience and depend on your opp's playstyle.
But otherwise good luck with your training :p

I'm practicing in the training mode most of the time, I also often visit friends who are close to me and that stuff. And I don't have those special rules for training like some of you (wtf castor, I need that custome stage xD), I just do a thing until I'm convinced that I can do it pretty consistently^^.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
You can't win without them. I am new to the character I don't understand what fools people with what, I need to figure that out for myself kind sir.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Bair often baits grabs....

Usmash also has a very low amount of lag, so usually you can get a jab or something out.

Jumping is good for baiting shields... or them running away, or them jumping up towards you.

In reality, there is no set thing about Wolf that fools every single smash player in the world. So I guess you'll have to figure it out on a case-by-case basis.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
The following is all theory, so take it with a grain of salt.

Though practicing mindgames may be debatable, it is possible to practice pattern recognition. As in, watch Brawl videos (doesn't matter what character, though decent to pro players are preferred) and record on paper/notepad what they tend to do and when they did it in the match. For example, this player tends to roll when at high percents and near the ledge. He did so at 2:16 and 4:32 of this video. Etc. Writing it down enforces it and allows you go back to it later.

This does not substitute for actually playing a person, recognizing their patterns quickly, then punishing them for it in the same match. However, it is a way to gain experience in likely patterns that people have.

You could also play Wifi and save the replays. Since Wifi has lag, you are forced to recognize patterns to punish. However, online patterns differ from offline ones, so while you may gain experience in recognizing them during the heat of a match, you may never see the actual patterns again in future offline matches. Watching the replay later and taking note of patterns would be useful as well.

Note that playing online screws with your sense of timing and it's virtually impossible to space or punish unsafe moves correctly, so it does have its drawbacks. Being unable to space or punish also means your entire playing style will be different online.

John102

Smash Cadet
Well when I was first learning to dacus I would try it until I got it a few times in training, then I would brawls a cpu and add it a few time here and there(just to get used to it in the heat of a battle) finally after that I'd use it when brawling my friends. I also like to practice my gimping(whether it be on fox/falco, or a harder character) on cpu's(and when I can find a friend, on them), daily. Oh, and I'm starting to practice stage hopping some, I think it could be a useful technique when in a tight situation and used correctly.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
The following is all theory, so take it with a grain of salt.

Though practicing mindgames may be debatable, it is possible to practice pattern recognition. As in, watch Brawl videos (doesn't matter what character, though decent to pro players are preferred) and record on paper/notepad what they tend to do and when they did it in the match. For example, this player tends to roll when at high percents and near the ledge. He did so at 2:16 and 4:32 of this video. Etc. Writing it down enforces it and allows you go back to it later.

This does not substitute for actually playing a person, recognizing their patterns quickly, then punishing them for it in the same match. However, it is a way to gain experience in likely patterns that people have.

You could also play Wifi and save the replays. Since Wifi has lag, you are forced to recognize patterns to punish. However, online patterns differ from offline ones, so while you may gain experience in recognizing them during the heat of a match, you may never see the actual patterns again in future offline matches. Watching the replay later and taking note of patterns would be useful as well.

Note that playing online screws with your sense of timing and it's virtually impossible to space or punish unsafe moves correctly, so it does have its drawbacks. Being unable to space or punish also means your entire playing style will be different online.
^^^^^^^^^^^
king of smart posters.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord

You're not necessarily forced to recognize patterns...you just have to punish their inputs a fraction of a second ahead of time, instead of realtime as per offline play. Though this can involve pattern recognition AKA reading people.

And I disagree with your claim that you won't see patterns offline that you do offline. Online doesn't change the inputs a player makes. Just because someone does an AC laser with Falco and rolls behind me a lot on WiFi doesn't mean that they won't do it in-person as well. Your ability to punish that may be affected on WiFi, but not necessarily the inputs themselves. Although people do play differently online.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i usually tend to train against cpu's, online tends to upset me more than i care to admit, but whenever i choose the cpu to be random against wolf it always chooses D3, no matter what, only the first time mind you but i think that my wii is trying to tell me something...

Top Bottom