• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training Mode Proposition

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
Training modes are very important in fighting games. They give players a place to practice outside of actual matches, discover and lab combos, and get a feel for a character and what they can do without losing hundreds of matches in the process. The mode has become a staple in fighting games as a whole, and is now an important part of keeping players satisifed with the game so they keep coming back to improve. The standard training mode comes with the ability to save and record replays, modify CPU behavoir, display inputs and recognize combos. Games can include more than that, and probably should, but those are the bare bones. The absolute best training mode, in my opinion, is that of Skull Girls. It has all of these options and many, many more. On the other end of the spectrum, however, is Smash. Smash doesn't include the option to record and play back situations, has a very limited set of stock CPU behaviours and a barely-functional combo counter. It does have extras features, but most of them are entirely worthless. So, I am here to discuss how one might go about fixing the Smash training mode, so that once we have access to Gecko codes for Smash 4 or something simmilar we can create our own, better traning mode. My very first (and very unprofesional) draft of what the training mode could look like is pictured below. Discuss what you think should be added, removed or changed from it below.
Reasonable.jpg

E.D.N.D.N

Smash Cadet
Being able to choose how they DI, or what they do out of hitstun (attack/airdodge/jump/jump and air dodge/special moves if relevent).

Sometimes I can't tell whether a footstool is part of a combo cause they don't register as part of a combo (I can often footstool a computer but not a human who buffers anything other than a jump) so footstools should be identified in the combo count

I'd like a CPU behavior specifically for edge guarding. It could stay by the ledge and wait for you to hit it and randomize the timing for up b, recover high sometimes, and low other times, challenge edge guards with aerials, etc.

I'd want to be able to set cpu % easier (not hold up until it hits 150. Instead be able to increase/decrease % on single, double, or triple digits)

The last thing I'd want is the ability to switch characters with the CPU. It'd make the playback a lot better if you can set something up with one character, switch characters and play iy back to learn how to deal with it)

I love this idea btw, I've been wanting a better training mode since day one

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Neat. Also proposition, not preposition. :)

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Very cool

Different DI, Hitbox and frame data display, different types of hitboxes display (intangible, invincible, armor, reflect, normal, etc..), angle of attack, making the dummy able to shield, do X tilt, jab1, jab2, jab3 (whole sequence), or infinite jabs depending on char, X smash attack, X aerial/special, reactions (if I hit dummy shield, dummy does attack or grab), and something else I'm missing

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
Another small detail that I didn't see mentioned that would be nice nonetheless: being able to choose controls for the dummy, so when you pick playback and use the character, you won't be missing inputs because your controls are different than the default that the dummy uses.

Top Bottom