• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trainer Tussle II (PT WiFi Tourney, 6/22, 6:30 PM EST)...PRIZE FOR 1st!!

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Trainer Tussle II!

DATE/TIME: Sunday, June 22nd, 6:30 PM EST (-5 GMT)

Prize for First Place!! - Choice from a selection of used games (discs/boxes/manuals present and in great shape)

-- PICK ONE choices --

Earth Defense Force 2016 (X360)
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (WII)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (WII)
Kirby Canvas Curse (DS)
Elite Beat Agents (DS)

-- PICK TWO choices --

Gundam Battle Assault (PS1)
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
Lost Magic (DS)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC)
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (GC)

-- THREE-PACK SPECIAL ---

Frequency (PS2)
Castle Shikigami 2 (PS2)
Art of Fighting Anthology (PS2)

RULES:

Matches - Best 2 out of 3 (3 out of 5 for finals)
Match Type - 3 stock, 7 minute time limit
Characters - Pokémon Trainer only
Items - Off (kinda duh...)
Format - Double-Elimination
Stage Picks - First stage is random-neutral (all players set random stage list to "random neutrals" below, second stage is picked by loser, third stage (if necessary) picked by loser.​

---- TO DO A STAGE PICK ONLINE: The first stage is random. Both players will set their "randoms" to be the five stages listed below, and will pick "RANDOM" at the stage selection screen. Following the first match, both players will briefly return to the active chatroom so that the loser can call out his stage pick, and both players will pick it to ensure its appearance (repeat if needed). -----

Players will report to a designated chat area (to be determined here) before the tournament starts for roll call. A player who does not report by 5 minutes after his/her match is scheduled to be underway will be disqualified. Once the match is over, the winner and loser will both report back.

Since this is Wi-Fi, we are heavily dependent on players to provide accurate details themselves without bickering. If there is a dispute, we will do our best to resolve it, but in the end the point of this tournament is simply to teach us all how to be better, so why not be honest with each other? Bad sportsmanship will reflect poorly on you within the community, and on us as Trainers. This isn't at all a big thing, and may never be, but who knows? Let's do our best, and hope for the best. Hopefully by doing more and more of these we can make this board a more active focal point for Trainers all around to get their acts together and start kicking butts at real tournaments against those pesky Dededes, Snakes, Meta-Knights, Wolfs, Mr. Game and Watches, Pits, Marths, Falcos, and all those other more-often played characters. We'll show 'em.

If players wish to recant specific details of their matches, which will be encouraged for the benefit of all, do so within the topic, not the chat, so that it may be recorded permanently for all to see.

STAGE LIST (FINAL)

Random-neutral:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks:

Pokémon Stadium
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Pokémon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
PictoChat
Jungle Japes

CONFIRMED ENTRANTS:

1. Superhacker75mil
2. Yukiwarashi
3. Onyx
4. Jiangu
5. washy
6. Rauzaruke
7. Knyaguy
8. Hydde
9. chubas
10. TheLake
11. Fearmy
12. Mystic Kenji
13. Retro Gaming
14. Reinhart_x
15. Blackbelt
16. Kitamerby
17. Blade42
18. Syrus Draco
19. Ryos4

Onxy

Smash Lord
What about Jiggly? Lol! But anyway, I might join in, but I'm new to smash tournies :scared:

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about it. It's only a real tournament when you're actually face-to-face with a gathering of players, but that doesn't mean we can't foster an environment of friendly competition where we duke it out both to learn and to win.

Winning is important, so definitely strive for it, but watch how those who beat you win too.

My competitive experience was basically limited to a pre-release Japanese copy tournament, teams, in Keyport run by dmbrandon, and then afterwards I provided a TV and participated in ROT8's Rutgers weeklies in New Brunswick. I only participated in 3 or so out of the 6 or 7 that were held (and observed most of them), occasionally because I couldn't, but towards the end because I didn't really have the money to keep losing in the first round against high-level competition (there were one or two other people who would show up that I could beat, but I never got to play them). The tourney had NJ's top Melee players in regular attendance, and they were all adjusting to Brawl well, though they had the same negative opinions most pros seem to have, opinions I definitely understand. Still, I appreciate that when you get past some of the spamming, top-level Brawl involves quite a few mindgames and mind-gaming aiding techniques that have been discovered which make the game more interesting than people initially expected. It'll never be as fast as Melee, but we'll see what people continue to say about the game itself in the years to come.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I love Brawl more than Melee. I loved Melee, but I never got competitive in it...not because it was too hard, but because I didn't care at the time. I'll be the first to admit of course that my Melee skills are nothing since I can't do Wavedashing consistently, but then again my favorite character was Jigglypuff, so it really wasn't that big a deal for me.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Onxy, do you want to try a friendly online? I haven't played online in awhile myself, I'm curious to see if the lag'll be minor most of the time. Who knows, you may be better than me...haven't played many Poké Trainers myself.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I'd like to be in on this. I won the last tournament, but there weren't very many people and I want to improve my Pokemon Trainer as much as possible. Seeing other Pokemon Trainers would be a pleasure.

jjangu

Smash Rookie
I would definitely love to participate in this tournament! My PT's gotten better. :D

Dragonzord

Smash Rookie
i would like to participate but i don't have brawl yet, maby we can do it a few days after the EU release?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I would like too, but I have no wifi, can any of you, if you know how too, please tell me how to get wifi.

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
I would like too, but I have no wifi, can any of you, if you know how too, please tell me how to get wifi.
You got to have some sort of internet connection if your posting here. XD As for your problem, you could easily buy Nintendo's USB Wifi thingy that plugs into your computer's USB port, giving you access to Wifi. I personally use my wireless router to get a great connection though.

I would like to try. Since I'm relatively new to competitive smash and a newbie Pokemon Trainer in training, it could be a great experience.

Would we want to be recording anything? I can get lower quality videos of my matches if you guys want. Also, the only other problem I see with this is the Rock Paper Scissor effect PT has, though it still would be fun.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Onxy, do you want to try a friendly online? I haven't played online in awhile myself, I'm curious to see if the lag'll be minor most of the time. Who knows, you may be better than me...haven't played many Poké Trainers myself.
Yeah sure, I'm decent at best. Just respond to this when you want to go.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
You got to have some sort of internet connection if your posting here. XD As for your problem, you could easily buy Nintendo's USB Wifi thingy that plugs into your computer's USB port, giving you access to Wifi. I personally use my wireless router to get a great connection though.
I have that, but between my closest computer with an Internet connection and either of my tv sets are brick walls. And I'm gonna need help from my dad on this one.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
This looks like it would be fun, however my Wi-Fi seems very unreliable when it comes to online Brawl, and lags like a glacier half the time.

I have DSL and a 2Wire router, I'd appreciate it if anyone knew any tips for optimizing this connection and could share them with me, so that I could join this tourney. I won't participate if I can't get this sorted out, because that would ruin competition and fun.

Also, another problem i see with this is the issue of starting pokemon. Would this have to be disclosed in the chat room beforehand?

EDIT: I also live in Puerto Rico :/

Onxy

Smash Lord
Well hacker, I still want to play you when you get back on! *hops around, waving his arms like a Squirtle*

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Well as some of you may know, i cant enter in torunaments, its a shame cause i havent found any decent PT player to test my skills, but i would be wonderfull if some of you guys record some videos, doesnt matter if they are regular quality

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Onxy, I'm on and ready if you are. AIM = "SuperhackerMMX"

As far as the Pokémon picked, if you're concerned about their damage weaknesses to each other, I can see that as a valid comment. Character-type weaknesses can be overcome by a number of flaws the match-ups seem to have:

- Ivy has effective grass damage against Squirtle, but has difficulty Bullet Seeding and n-airing such a small and fast target.

- Squirtle has effective water damage against Charizard, but has a tough time implementing his grab game against Charizard's far superior grab range + surprisingly good running speed. Flamethrower helps against shellshifting, too.

- Charizard has effective fire damage against Ivysaur, but can be stopped cold on approaches due to being such a huge target for Razor Leaf, Bullet Seed, and n-air.

Even though I find this to be the case, I can still understand the extra damage boosts as being sought after at the beginning of the match. The solution is simple...we can fully integrate the character/stage pick system I've become accustomed to.

The first match can be "random" style, where both players pick PT himself. The second match will be where the winner gets to counter-pick the Poké, meaning he picks his character second (loser picks stage, winner picks counter-character). The same will go for the third match if it is necessary to have one.

I'll post this up at the beginning in a few. Right now going for this Wi-Fi match.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I'm ready, just hope I get no powerouts - had one already today.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
Meh, I'll make an attempt, I won't be available next weekend, but after that i should be good for evening brawls (-5 GMT Eastern Time).

ßebop

Smash Rookie
count me in!!!....i want to get better at PT...what better way than playing other PTs and see how they play!
as for the time when the battles should take place, the ones involved should arrange that, maybe by email....or somethin'....just an idea...

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
As a reminder, those of you who aren't specifying preferred times will be considered to have none, and will be subject to those who do post their availability.

As far as Norfair goes, it was generally banned because of the way the ledges are setup. An advanced player could stall the clock easily by jumping between the top two ledges on either side and enjoying immense amounts of invulnerability frames. Stopping someone from doing this is relatively difficult, and it's a pretty cheap stalling tactic.

Also, I'm debating dropping PictoChat from the available counter-picks, since although most of the stage hazards don't do very much damage or knockback until higher percents, the terrain changes are worse than those of the Pokémon Stadiums. They last long enough to be irritating. I'm not sure about this one.

Anyways, I'm going to post the list of definite confirmed participants, alongside a smaller list of situational participants. For those who are having trouble with their Wi-Fi connection, I will say that if you don't already have a Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector to smooth the process, it's not looking good, since apparently they're hard to get because Nintendo's manufacturer had to DISCONTINUE it in November. So yeah, you're not likely to see them unless it's some lucky backstock. Regarding improving your speed, I wouldn't know what to say.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and if you guys want to record videos, I really suggest you not do it during the tournament, since the process seems to incur a small amount of lag on the visuals of the TV it's recording, and that'd be bad stacked with the lag on even the best of online matches. Obviously if you want to record individual, non-tourny matches before or after the competition, great.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i'm down, but i hope my connection will allow little lag (it usually does this except for one scenarcio)

well on the 24th, i am not avaliable at 4:00 Central time (5:00 Est Time)

TheLake

Smash Master
Norfair has waaay more good than bad though. Camp the ledges? Let them try (;

Ivy cant be gimped there! I love ivy dangit! Im fighting for it dag blamnit

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
If that's your only day you can't, it shouldn't be a problem. So far I've seen one for the 27th only, one for not the 21st, one for nothing after 8 PM (hopefully that was Eastern time), one for between 12 PM and 5 PM, and one saying something about not available next weekend...which I'm hoping meant the one coming up, since I don't wanna' delay past the 27th.

So yeah, for the record, I'm on - 5 GMT Eastern time.

Anyways, I'm cool with adding Norfair over all, let's just first see if there are any objections.

NORFAIR - IN?
PICTOCHAT - STILL IN?

Voice your opinions please.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
As much as I hate it, make my particpation tentative. I can probably still make it if it's at a nightly time and I have a few days warning.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Oh man, I just realized that this is during the time I go to Boyscouts camp! Sorry, can't go to the tournament.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I would be more than happy to sign up.

I am available all of 21 and 22, and 6-9:30 PM PDT all other days.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
When would be the limit date to enter?
I'd love to join but I need to make some plans for a couple of those days, so I'll see. The 23 I definitely can't, the rest of the days probably sometime around 7:00 ~ 11:00 pm

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. We're starting to get a few more conflicting availabilities than I imagined.

For now, it's still too early to say the exact time, although we may need to run the tournament over the course of the week itself and have certain matches take place at certain times.

By the way, I can be a fairly magnanimous guy from time to time, and to drive up the incentive for participating and doing your best, a thought just struck me. I'm in the process of selling most of my games right now, minus a few key ones like Brawl, and I wouldn't mind making one of them the prize for the winner of this event. Totally free of charge (but not free of skill).

EDIT: Actually, I think it'd be cool if I offered up a selection of available games, a couple where you can pick only one, and some where you can pick two. They're used, but I guarantee great disc/box/manual quality, and it's free if you win, anyways.

Top Bottom