• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Toxic" Costume Palettes

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I'm sure majority of us have played FG long enough to spot a BM player just by the costume palette they choose for their character.

For me about 80% of the people who use the Dark/Oni Link costume are usually jerk faces who are extremely cocky. Rather than saying "Oh hey ! Another Link player !" it's quickly turned into "Oh hey, another Link player..."

So my question to my fellow Smashboard members is what costumes do those "type" of people usually wear for the characters you play?

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Almost every :4link: I face uses the fierce deity costume, and I can confirm that every one that I play with that uses it is an asshole.

Black :4peach:, :4zss:,:rosalina:,:4sheik:, and :4greninja: costumes just scream "I'm an asshole"!

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
Can't really tell for WFT. It's pretty impossible to know who's going to be a jerk based off of Costume.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Can't really tell for WFT. It's pretty impossible to know who's going to be a jerk based off of Costume.
It's different for each character honestly. Some characters have a really friendly FG community.

Most WFT I fight play fair and square. Though from time to time I run into some who just run away and shoot projectiles the entire time...

Last edited:

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
If you run into a Blue Shirt Villager, you just know it's going to be hell on Earth.
Mr. Saturn shirt Nesses are easily some of the most cancerous players around.
Counter spam Lucinas almost always use Tharja or Cordelia.
Fierce Deity Link? Spammer guaranteed.
Up until the patch, every mindless Luigi (at least for me) used Fire Luigi or WaLuigi.
Wireframe Hoodie Little Quarter-Pounders are voted Most Likely To Side B Off the Stage and Die.
Gold Falcons. DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE GOLD F***ING FALCONS.

Last edited:

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
It's different for each character honestly. Some characters have a really friendly FG community.

Most WFT I fight play fair and square. Though from time to time I run into some who just run away and shoot projectiles the entire time...
Yup that's WFT's thing. She's great defensively.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Most of the "dark" costumes or costumes with a lot of black really annoy me, because they're always so common. Lucas's Masked Man alt, Samus' Dark Samus alt, Yoshi's black alt, Greninja's Shiny alt, Link's Dark Link alt, Mewtwo's "Dark Mewtwo" alt, Falco's black alt, Dr. Mario's black alt... they're all so overrated and overused.

Also, if a character has a costume that changes them in some way that the others don't (like how Mario gets more than just a color swap when he uses the Golf alt), you can bet that one's going to be used by toxic players a lot.

Robin players using the pink female alt are usually terrible, while other female alts are decent to bad. If they use any male alt, prepare for a beating.

Don't forget, shirtless Shulk costume into side taunt is a true combo and a devastating part of Shulk's metagame.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Most of the "dark" costumes or costumes with a lot of black really annoy me, because they're always so common. Lucas's Masked Man alt, Samus' Dark Samus alt, Yoshi's black alt, Greninja's Shiny alt, Link's Dark Link alt, Mewtwo's "Dark Mewtwo" alt, Falco's black alt, Dr. Mario's black alt... they're all so overrated and overused.

Also, if a character has a costume that changes them in some way that the others don't (like how Mario gets more than just a color swap when he uses the Golf alt), you can bet that one's going to be used by toxic players a lot.

Robin players using the pink female alt are usually terrible, while other female alts are decent to bad. If they use any male alt, prepare for a beating.

Don't forget, shirtless Shulk costume into side taunt is a true combo and a devastating part of Shulk's metagame.
I agree most of the "toxic" palettes are black-oriented. Cept Marth. Most cocky douchebags I fight use the White palette more often. Probably because he thinks just too pure for the likes of anyone.

Most Shulks I fight are actually pretty toned and nice most of the time. Cept when I play 2v2 FG with my friend and they just spam counter and F-smash. Then it gets really annoying.

King of koopas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Speed Brony
3DS FC
1032-2019-6021
bikini ZSS are typically spammers/jerks oh and dark links get on my nerves too

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
I've found that people who play as virtual boy ROB are pretty toxic players.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
If you run into a Blue Shirt Villager, you just know it's going to be hell on Earth.
But I really like playing as Blue Shirt Villager... (Mainly because it has the same face I originally started with in Animal Crossing for GC)

But in any case, I've honestly haven't noticed too much.

I typically do not like to assume things a lot of the time, a good example is someone picking the same character as me not for the salt but probably because they main them too. There's a lot of alt costumes that are extremely common and aren't just used by rude players. I honestly think most pick what looks "Cool" to them most of the time or perhaps have a specific reason why they use said alt.

I have tons of reasons why I specifically stick to a certain alt costume, even if someone else is using that alt for the same character.

Although yes, there are a few who blatantly stick out such as "Captain Fabulous" that 95% of For Glory Captain Falcons use (at least in my experience. Never really seen any Captain Falcons use a different one.) I don't think I should automatically assume they will be toxic for it. I've encountered two Captain Falcons within For Glory who used the Pink alt and were the opposite of what I expected them to be.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's not the alts that really stick out to me, but rather how one uses the character.

Some alts are just more popular than others, whether they are used by Toxic players or not.

Last edited:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I agree most of the "toxic" palettes are black-oriented. Cept Marth. Most cocky douchebags I fight use the White palette more often. Probably because he thinks just too pure for the likes of anyone.

Most Shulks I fight are actually pretty toned and nice most of the time. Cept when I play 2v2 FG with my friend and they just spam counter and F-smash. Then it gets really annoying.
I use the white color scheme for marth all the time, but i'm not like that.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
There's no way of knowing if the player is gonna be an asshole just by looking at their character's palette color. It's all pretty random.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I would point out some for my mains, but 3/4 of them don't get enough coverage for me to form much of an opinion.

The exception is Little Mac. As a general rule, hoodies are a sign of weakness, especially the green one. With that said, you could argue that green hoodie mac is the best alt costume, as it eliminates telegraphing sound effects without the whole transparent issue other wire frames have, so YMMV.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
most likely to be pompous or unsporting in my experience Gold or Pink Falcons, Bikini Zero Skill Spamus, Black/White Marths, Black Ganondorf No other notable enough trends on my end. i rarely run into anyone Toxic.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Is this how sensitive people online have gotten now? Take offense with color pallets? Smh
This is simple observation. Not one is seriously getting offended by these, it's just that people notice that less sportsman like players tend to gravitate towards these colours. So far I can agree with all of these posts based on my own experiences.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
This is simple observation. Not one is seriously getting offended by these, it's just that people notice that less sportsman like players tend to gravitate towards these colours. So far I can agree with all of these posts based on my own experiences.
It's unfortunate some people are taking this thread the wrong way so thank you for saying that Lag-chan.

Last edited:

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
I hate the sleeveless ZSS, orange or blue. Also, this one isn't my main but Jesus Christ I hate shirtless Shulk.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Might as well make an actual post while I'm at it.
:rosalina:"Fire Peach" colour, pretty consistently poor players use it.
:4samus:Light Suit or Dark Samus every time. Barely anyone uses the other colours.
:4jigglypuff:Sleep Kirby hat, you can already tell they're gonna spam Rest.
:4rob:"Virtual Boy" colour. Another extremely popular colour too.
I could list all the rest but I'd be here all day rattling off "Dark" outfits. Now to make a list of the ones skilled players use would be an interesting story.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Might as well make an actual post while I'm at it.
:rosalina:"Fire Peach" colour, pretty consistently poor players use it.
:4samus:Light Suit or Dark Samus every time. Barely anyone uses the other colours.
:4jigglypuff:Sleep Kirby hat, you can already tell they're gonna spam Rest.
:4rob:"Virtual Boy" colour. Another extremely popular colour too.
I could list all the rest but I'd be here all day rattling off "Dark" outfits. Now to make a list of the ones skilled players use would be an interesting story.
I suck as Rosalina and I use it. Can confirm.

On topic....

Black Falco.....XD

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Most of the Palutena players I have faced online are pretty nice. I only remember 2 of them that acted like jerks, and they were wearing different colors (red and dark purple).

As for Ryu, I believe the majority if annoying players use his pure white costume. I could be wrong on which costume it was, but I know that most of them are attracted to one of the costumes with a white gi.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
From my experience:

:4falcon:: Pink and gold alts
:4feroy:: Gold alt
:4link:/:4tlink:/:4zelda:/:4sheik:/:4drmario:/:4mewtwo:/:4fox:/:4samus:/:4zss:: All "dark" alts
:4villager:: Light blue and purple male alts
:4yoshi:: Purple alt
:4wario:: Purple biker alt
:4mario:/:4luigi:: Default and fireball alts
:4littlemac:: Any non wire-frame alts, especially the yellow and hoodie ones
:4rob:: Virtual boy alt
:4dedede:: Green alt
:4ness:: Mr. Saturn alt
:4lucas:: Claus and Masked Man alts
:4marth:: Red and white alts
:4sonic:: Any alt Default and black alts

If I fight someone using any of these alts, there's a 90% chance they'll either spam, taunt, insult via tags, or all three.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pink Falcons. **** Pink Falcons. Literally every one I've come across is a massive tryhard that taunts multiple times after they get a kill, insult you through tags afterwards, and constantly go for knees, dairs or Reverse Falcon Punches. If you play Falcon and use that costume, you better believe you're getting no mercy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I didn't realise pink Falcon gets this kind of response. Can't I just play the guy because I love pink?

I don't judge my opponent by which costume they use, but I do notice that quite a few recurrent choices. It tends to be the black variants, particularly if it's Sheik or Doc.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I didn't realise pink Falcon gets this kind of response. Can't I just play the guy because I love pink?
Do whatever you like no one's stopping you. It just happens from common experience that most players who use the pink Falcon costume tend to be BM.

Now I'm not saying EVERY pink Falcon is an a**hole but it falls into the category of a "Toxic" costume. That goes for any other costume palette for any other character as well.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I was just teasing, it's okay. I get what you mean.

And I use pink Falcon in every game so I claim exemption, yo~

Funny, I very seldom see pink Falcons. Pretty much every colour but pink, to be honest.

Anybody want to tell me what the deal with green DK is? And on the subject, for an ostensibly unpopular character, I see Dark Pit way more than vanilla Pit.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I was just teasing, it's okay. I get what you mean.

And I use pink Falcon in every game so I claim exemption, yo~

Funny, I very seldom see pink Falcons. Pretty much every colour but pink, to be honest.

Anybody want to tell me what the deal with green DK is? And on the subject, for an ostensibly unpopular character, I see Dark Pit way more than vanilla Pit.
Eco-friendly DK maybe? As far as Pit vs. Dark Pit. I personally find Dark Pit cooler (even though their voiced by the same person). Also because girls tend to like the "bad boy" theme more so that's another thing lol.

I have seen all sorts of characters used by bad mannered people. The most common ones being: the All-American Mario, the Black Doc, Dark Link, Pink/Gold Falcons, and any Lucinas (any costume - never fought a nice one yet unfortunately). :ohwell:

That said I do not judge a player by their character or actual gamer tag. I only get irritated at insults via the tag system. When that happens, I just leave the fighter's room so it's not a big deal.

SFC Goat

Smash Rookie
NNID
koroshiya72
3DS FC
4227-1995-9268
Shirtless Shulk.

Still never got the meme or appeal of this skin but everyone I verse who uses this is a backslash spamming clown. Only irl is it good for a laugh, online it's beyond cringe.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Oh, where to begin...
  • Gold/"FABULOUZ" Captain Falcon
  • Fierce Diety/Edgy Link
  • Training Hoodie Mac
  • Pink DK
  • Belch Ness (just the name sounds gross)
  • All of Sonic's alts. They're absolutely hideous.
  • Heck, let's add all of Bowser Jr.'s "alts" to that, too.
  • Ganondorf's entire palette deserves a mention here.
  • :4alph:. Please die.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As a main of both Links I groan whenever somebody chooses the dark skin. I've never come across somebody who uses the Dark Link skin and has actually impressed me.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
As a main of both Links I groan whenever somebody chooses the dark skin. I've never come across somebody who uses the Dark Link skin and has actually impressed me.
Every time I beat someone as Link and they switch to Dark Link it's just like the battle in Ocarina of Time, stupidly easy.

Bill cipher3

Smash Cadet
I use the pink robin alt and I win almost every time. and I used to use the saturn alt before lucas because it was AWESOME; and masked man alt is good too I LOVE it

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I've been noticing some patterns for a lot of characters, both personal experience and watching videos, where a lot of their...less respected players gravitate to. I personally don't mind their choices since I pick some of these colors too but overall these are just ones I've seen (I won't include any default alts because well...they're default and are expected to be somewhat popular anyway):

:4mario:: NES Open Golf/ 'Murica Mario
:4bowser:: Light Blue/ Blastoise(?) Bowser
:4bowserjr:: :4roy: Alt
:4dk:: Golden/Pink Kong
:4littlemac:: Hoodie both versions (I use Pink)
:4link:: Dark Link/Fierce Deity
:4sheik:: Black
:4samus:: Black/White
:4zss:: Bikini Blue/Orange
:4pit:/:4darkpit:: Pit's Black/Pittoo's White Alts
:4robinf:: Pink/Red Robins
:4fox:/:4falco:: Dark Spacies
:4greninja:: Black
:4ness:: Mr. Saturn
:4falcon:: Pink/Gold
:4shulk:: Shirtless (I cringe every time I see any Shulk user pick this costume)
:4drmario:: Black Market
:4lucina:: Tharja (Black)
:4sonic:: Black (This I use as well)
:4mewtwo:: Dark Mewtwo

Top Bottom