• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week: Perfect Parry

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
A great way to become better in Smash is to understand all available options and be a master of tech. Being able to work quickly out of shield can makes punishes that much better was well. One Smash in partnership Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the Tech of The Week series for a good while now and this week they are here to present Tech #26: Perfect Parry.

Viewers may have noticed the techs are not presented in order. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game. The other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break,Snap Back and Slow Run. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of the One Smash Tech Tree.

SmashCapps hopes that these videos help players up their games to the next level. To keep up with his own adventures training in Smash follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
The video just tells you to set shield to a button for easier perfect shielding and to make sure to do a good counterattack OOS. Nothing really special.

GreenChaChing

Smash Apprentice
TBH I was expecting something ground breaking, not saying this isnt worth anything, but the way they hyped it up made my think that i was going to destroy everybody with some new tech.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
This is good groundwork for what they're going to present next: option selects. I've played around with that a little, and I think it could really help create a sort of defensive/offensive hybrid style.

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
>using the 20XX meme in Smash 4 with this "tech"

Power-shielding. This is more embarrassing than their commentators.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Regardless of what people think about this being 'simple' or 'common sense', it's clearly something that is lacking in our current Smash 4 metagame.

If the common player masters this, games will become more aggressive, while still retaining defense play.

Personally, that excites me greatly.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
Zero knew this all along with his powershield upsmash with Diddy..... I wouldn't be surprised if he knew all the smash techs or even wrote the book

I jest I jest

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Zero knew this all along with his powershield upsmash with Diddy.....
I believe that many competitive players know this and have done this before. It's more a matter of reacting to getting a perfect shield and choosing which tilt to use. I wouldn't say this is a tech, but more of a mindset.

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 Tech:

Either it's nothing special, or it's going to get patched out.

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
This is good groundwork for what they're going to present next: option selects. I've played around with that a little, and I think it could really help create a sort of defensive/offensive hybrid style.
defensive/offensive isn't a hybrid style.. that's how you are supposed to play the game lol. you should never be purely offensive/defensive. If you are, you will get bopped.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I just won't fathom how these individual's speaking do not realize how stupid they are "hyping" this "tech" up. In Brawl (yes Brawl), if you change your controls (before Smash-4 was ever created) players could punish Ike's first jab with anything they chose, not only that but there was no use for this "tech" (technique), why?

Because players knew how to Power-shield and didn't need this "parry". If Smash-4 players want to make-up bs names and already known "tech". Then Brawl is the master of all techniques. Only thing Brawl doesn't have is newer characters (hack in), stages (hack in) and disabled Edge guarding (why would I want to disable that "tech"). Thanks.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just won't fathom how these individual's speaking do not realize how stupid they are "hyping" this "tech" up. In Brawl (yes Brawl), if you change your controls (before Smash-4 was ever created) players could punish Ike's first jab with anything they chose, not only that but there was no use for this "tech" (technique), why?

Because players knew how to Power-shield and didn't need this "parry". If Smash-4 players want to make-up bs names and already known "tech". Then Brawl is the master of all techniques. Only thing Brawl doesn't have is newer characters (hack in), stages (hack in) and disabled Edge guarding (why would I want to disable that "tech"). Thanks.
You assume everyone has had a competitive Brawl experience.

These videos are literally only helping the people who

A). Only just started playing Smash competitively,

B). Would rather watch a video than read a long post about it,

Or,

C). Know about all these things and would like to see them executed in-game.

No one is saying this wasn't in Brawl.
No one is saying Smash 4 is better than any other Smash game.
No one is asking, and/or cares if the tech was in Brawl, and why we're all ignorant for enjoying a video.

Please refrain from posting such nonsense when you have no real argument.

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

Banned via Warnings

Or,

No one is asking, and/or cares if the tech was in Brawl, and why we're all ignorant for enjoying a video.

No. This is Smashboards. Where people are competitive. Most people who have been in this community for 10 days know/figure out how to do this. This is barely a tech. It's just OoPowerShield. The name is dumb too, just call it Out of Powershield, not calling it a parry. This confuses new players aswell because they'll think that Out of Powershield is now a parry. NTAO is making a comparison between Brawl and Smash 4 about how they had the same tech. You just took it the wrong way.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
No. This is Smashboards. Where people are competitive. Most people who have been in this community for 10 days know/figure out how to do this. This is barely a tech. It's just OoPowerShield. The name is dumb too, just call it Out of Powershield, not calling it a parry. This confuses new players aswell because they'll think that Out of Powershield is now a parry. NTAO is making a comparison between Brawl and Smash 4 about how they had the same tech. You just took it the wrong way.
Not everyone on Smash Boards is going to know these things generalizing is a bad habit. There are plenty of new players that are joining the scene everyday and they need the tools to learn to compete if they want also not everyone on Smash Boards is super competitive. Smash Boards is a hub for Smash in general and there are players who do not play any Smash on a competitive level nor wish to on these boards. A parry is a block into an attack which the technique is so it can be called a parry.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
If anyone needs any more quasi-helpful, semi useless techs, keep an eye out for Squat Walking: an amazing optimization that i discovered, and will unleash to the world soon.
look out for CNMNE TV on youtube... SQAUT WALKING

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
The video just tells you to set shield to a button for easier perfect shielding and to make sure to do a good counterattack OOS. Nothing really special.
TBH I was expecting something ground breaking, not saying this isnt worth anything, but the way they hyped it up made my think that i was going to destroy everybody with some new tech.
>using the 20XX meme in Smash 4 with this "tech"

Power-shielding. This is more embarrassing than their commentators.
I believe that many competitive players know this and have done this before. It's more a matter of reacting to getting a perfect shield and choosing which tilt to use. I wouldn't say this is a tech, but more of a mindset.
I'll remember your comments when this video series is over.

Also... 20XX started with the Mega Man games long before Smash was even a game.

And as much as we think top plays already know about perfect shielding, the evidence is clear. Watch all the EVO matches and you'll see little to no perfect parries. This means that these players don't fully understand how to perfect shield, and this is why we had to clear this up before moving on to the crazy stuff.

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
I'll remember your comments when this video series is over.

Also... 20XX started with the Mega Man games long before Smash was even a game.

And as much as we think top plays already know about perfect shielding, the evidence is clear. Watch all the EVO matches and you'll see little to no perfect parries. This means that these players don't fully understand how to perfect shield, and this is why we had to clear this up before moving on to the crazy stuff.
That is only due to the low skill ceiling required to compete in Smash 4.

The 20XX meme in conjunction with Smash refers to frame-perfect technical skill performed by Fox in Melee, not stuff like this.

ZeroSkillSamus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4296-3051-4596
If anyone needs any more quasi-helpful, semi useless techs, keep an eye out for Squat Walking: an amazing optimization that i discovered, and will unleash to the world soon.
look out for CNMNE TV on youtube... SQAUT WALKING
What's that?

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I don't think people are taking away what they are suppose to from this video. Its not just about power shielding, it's about the ability to buffer an OOS that won't come out if you don't end up shielding something, which is great so it doesn't needlessly put you in a bad situation. Its a great, powerful, and extremely simple to implement tech.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜

Or,

No, everyone writes that "Brawl is bad" so what am I doing? Swatting those flies with a simple Fly swatter named "Brawl had all these "techs" what are you animals blabbering and jumping up and down about?" Yes, I am indeed a competitive player, but I don't acknowledge the way competitive players are as in; Whenever I brawl or Wi-Fi people, I always write "good games thanks for the matches" I never bash individuals with the competitive game-r garbage trash talk. What you are seeing from me is a person who's fed up with the morns who continue to follow bs accusations about Brawl. No, not everyone knows "all these "techs" are from Brawl".

Also the guy even "named" that "tech" so how is it the same "tech" when he actually renamed that "tech?" I'll write to you why, when you know you're wrong you'll shut up and become so innocent; however, when you know you have a chance to activate your animal transformation suits, and as well show your true bipolar-self with no if an or buts you will. Thanks.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
No, everyone writes that "Brawl is bad" so what am I doing? Swatting those flies with a simple Fly swatter named "Brawl had all these "techs" what are you animals blabbering and jumping up and down about?" Yes, I am indeed a competitive player, but I don't acknowledge the way competitive players are as in; Whenever I brawl or Wi-Fi people, I always write "good games thanks for the matches" I never bash individuals with the competitive game-r garbage trash talk. What you are seeing from me is a person who's fed up with the morns who continue to follow bs accusations about Brawl. No, not everyone knows "all these "techs" are from Brawl".

Also the guy even "named" that "tech" so how is it the same "tech" when he actually renamed that "tech?" I'll write to you why, when you know you're wrong you'll shut up and become so innocent; however, when you know you have a chance to activate your animal transformation suits, and as well show your true bipolar-self with no if an or buts you will. Thanks.
I have no idea how to respond to this. Not that it's a good argument, I have no idea what he's trying to say.

Someone want to help me out?

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I have no idea how to respond to this. Not that it's a good argument, I have no idea what he's trying to say.

Someone want to help me out?
Seriously? Fine let me summarize my comment then.

Players bash Brawl all the time (especially Smash-4 players) who shouldn't even be taken seriously towards how the game is even designed, is that better? I'm basically shutting their typing mouths through a simple counter sentence attack "Brawl already had this "tech" and many more".

Next I wrote I don't act like a typical competitive player that writes garbage to players they fight against or Wi-Fi against. I'm simply fed up with morns attacking Brawl when they should look in the minor and see just how "superior" Smash-4 really is.

Lastly I'm assuming users in general try to act innocent when they can't really defend the situation, so they'll write "it's for the new players and we already know Brawl had all this". Finally the person describing the "tech" renames that "tech" so what does that mean? Simply trying to use Smash-4 to fake new 'techs" like Izaw's "Zaw dashing" when it's simply a perfect pivot walk. Thanks.

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
That is only due to the low skill ceiling required to compete in Smash 4.

The 20XX meme in conjunction with Smash refers to frame-perfect technical skill performed by Fox in Melee, not stuff like this.
I know what the meme means. And we used it for a reasons. Option Selects are what allow players to play with frame perfect, TAS like reactions. It's a good fit for the video series.

You can keep the snark and the bias out of the conversation. This thread is focused on Smash 4 tech.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Seriously? Fine let me summarize my comment then.
Your summary cannot help if you cannot use proper grammar and spelling.

Players bash Brawl all the time (especially Smash-4 players)
This is a complete statement in itself. Why does it continue into the next line?

who shouldn't even be taken seriously towards how the game is even designed, is that better?
No, it's not.

The first half of your statement regards players bashing Brawl. Okay, I understand that. The second half... "taken seriously towards how the game is even designed". That makes no sense.

What does negative feedback have to do with game design? How did those two ideas wind up in the same sentence?

Are you saying that those who bash Brawl did not understand how the game was designed? Are you saying that they don't take Brawl's design seriously, and are overlooking valid points because of it?

I'm just taking wild stabs in the dark here, because your statement, taken at face value, is utterly meaningless.

I'm basically shutting their typing mouths through a simple counter sentence attack "Brawl already had this "tech" and many more".
I can actually understand that statement, but it is irrelevant, as I'll point out in just a second.

Next I wrote I don't act like a typical competitive player that writes garbage to players they fight against or Wi-Fi against. I'm simply fed up with morns attacking Brawl when they should look in the minor and see just how "superior" Smash-4 really is.
While I appreciate that you do treat your opponent with respect, I should point out that your argument is meaningless. There is no objective standard for "superiority" when it comes to entertainment value, which is what a game is meant to provide. They find Smash 4 more entertaining than Brawl, and they do have legitimate arguments to back that up.

Also, the word is "mirror", not "minor".

Lastly I'm assuming users in general try to act innocent when they can't really defend the situation, so they'll write "it's for the new players and we already know Brawl had all this".
Even if the two games were technically identical (which they're not, as everything from basic physics like falling to discrete mechanics like tripping have changed), the point is still irrelevant, because there is far more to Smash as a game than just the "techs".

In fact, removing a technical skill can actually make a game functionally better, if it improves flow, conveyance, and enjoyment.

Finally the person describing the "tech" renames that "tech" so what does that mean? Simply trying to use Smash-4 to fake new 'techs" like Izaw's "Zaw dashing" when it's simply a perfect pivot walk. Thanks.
Renaming techs is indeed stupid, but it's hardly something restricted to Smash players, or even video games. Look up the name of any football play and you'll see just how stupid a basic pass can sound.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Your summary cannot help if you cannot use proper grammar and spelling.
Ah there we go showing their true self. So, I can't "use" "proper spelling or grammar", huh? Well smart one you might want to add a comma after "cannot". Try to look more stupid towards correcting me, okay? Waste of my time to even try fathoming your Baboon minds. Thanks.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ah there we go showing their true self. So, I can't "use" proper spelling, huh? Well smart one you might want to add a comma after "cannot". Try to look more stupid towards correcting me, okay? Waste of my time to even try reasoning with you baboons. Thanks.
I wasn't attacking you. I was explaining that no one could understand your sentences. I was referred to this conversation by some friends who were puzzling trying to understand the meaning of what you typed. Your statements made no sense. I was trying to explain what you meant, and explain to you why it is important to write with enough clarity that your statements can be understood.

As long as we're discussing the merits of our opponents, though, thank you for showing me just how "respectful" you truly are.

Also, no, I do not need to add a comma after "cannot". I should have used "do not" instead of the second "cannot", and I apologize for that error. But otherwise, the sentence is correct.

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

Banned via Warnings
I wasn't attacking you. I was explaining that no one could understand your sentences. I was referred to this conversation by some friends who were puzzling trying to understand the meaning of what you typed. Your statements made no sense. I was trying to explain what you meant, and explain to you why it is important to write with enough clarity that your statements can be understood.

As long as we're discussing the merits of our opponents, though, thank you for showing me just how "respectful" you truly are.

Also, no, I do not need to add a comma after "cannot". I should have used "do not" instead of the second "cannot", and I apologize for that error. But otherwise, the sentence is correct.
I was able to understand them. I knew what he was saying. If you understood that words like ''minor'' were actually ''mirror'', then there's no point. Language is the idea of getting ideas across through speech or text. If you understood him? What's the point? Get off your high horse.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I was able to understand them. I knew what he was saying. If you understood that words like ''minor'' were actually ''mirror'', then there's no point. Language is the idea of getting ideas across through speech or text. If you understood him? What's the point? Get off your high horse.
The first paragraph I could not understand at all. I could understand bits of it, but as a complete thought it made no sense. I STILL have no clue what he was trying to say there. I was just guessing.

If you understood what he was saying, please, enlighten me.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Typos which shows I'm not caring anymore about these arguments. Also isn't that obvious?

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜

No you do right after cannot which is can't but I don't care anymore (as you can tell)?

"Your summary cannot help if you cannot use proper grammar and spelling."

Your (pronoun) summary (noun) cannot (adverb) help (verb) (that makes a sentence since there is a noun and verb so a comma goes right after "cannot" or period) if (conjunction) you (noun) cannot (adverb) use (verb) proper grammar (noun) and spelling (noun). Once more you are wrong. Thanks.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No you do right after cannot which is can't but I don't care anymore (as you can tell)?

Your (pronoun) summary (noun) cannot (adverb) help (verb) (that makes a sentence since there is a noun and verb so a comma goes right after "cannot" or period) if (conjunction) you (noun) cannot (adverb) use (verb) proper grammar (noun) and spelling (noun). Once more you are wrong. Thanks.
Except the "if" is a subordinating conjunction, not a coordinating conjunction, and therefore the comma is only required if the subordinate clause precedes the primary clause.

"If you cannot use proper grammar and spelling, your summary cannot help."

In this case, since the subordinate clause "if you cannot use proper grammar and spelling" precedes the primary clause, it requires a comma to denote it.

However, if the subordinate clause follows the primary clause, then no comma is required.

Subordinating Conjunction (sometimes called a dependent word or subordinator) comes at the beginning of a Subordinate (or Dependent) Clause and establishes the relationship between the dependent clause and the rest of the sentence. It also turns the clause into something that depends on the rest of the sentence for its meaning.

He took to the stage as though he had been preparing for this moment all his life.

Because he loved acting, he refused to give up his dream of being in the movies.

Unless we act now, all is lost.

This article from Purdue on coordinating and subordinating conjunctions explains the usage of the subordinating conjunction as follows:

Notice that when the subordinate clause comes at the beginning, it’s necessary to insert a comma.

From this, the correct punctuation of "You can call me if you need me" is:

You can call me if you need me.

If you were to move the subordinating conjunction to the beginning, however, you would need the comma as follows:

If you need me, you can call me.
If you wish to argue grammar, please refer to a manual of style.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Except the "if" is a subordinating conjunction, not a coordinating conjunction, and therefore the comma is only required if the subordinate clause precedes the primary clause.

"If you cannot use proper grammar and spelling, your summary cannot help."

In this case, since the subordinate clause "if you cannot use proper grammar and spelling" precedes the primary clause, it requires a comma to denote it.

However, if the subordinate clause follows the primary clause, then no comma is required.

If you wish to argue grammar, please refer to a manual of style.
Never thought I'd be confused to what you are writing but I indeed am confused. I don't need a copy paste of the meanings subordinating and coordinating conjunction. One thing is certain and that's English has more than one way to be explained. I'm still sticking by my answer (which is more obvious than you coping and pasting rules about certain conjunctions.

My writing is made for everybody (only some that understand Metaphors very well). You seem to act dumb towards not understanding my sentences (when clearly my sentences are okay to understand. Thanks.

Edit: why double post the same comment that you wrote twice in a row?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

It is difficult for him to comprehend that you do not care anymore because you will not cease in responding to him. Your redundant assertions indicate that you do indeed care.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
It is difficult for him to comprehend that you do not care anymore because you will not cease in responding to him. Your redundant assertions indicate that you do indeed care.
No not really I just respond to that certain user until the argument is completely futile (as it is now).

Top Bottom