• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Troubles

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
Hello Lucas Community,

Yesterday I went to another tourney and placed the worst I have placed since I started consistantly going to tourneys.

However, in the friendlies I played in the rest of the day, I was dominating and playing as well as, if not better, than usual.

I am wondering if you think it has something to do with being nervious without knowing it, or if there is some mental preparation I am missing.

I feel like my Lucas is good enough that I should be able to at least place where I placed at previous tourneys.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

-HAGGS

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Sometimes tourneys just don't go as well as you think they should. Sometimes you get bad luck in pools or brackets with character or player matchups that don't work well for you. Sometimes you just don't play your best for no apparant reason. It doesn't really even have to be nervousness. The best players learn to develope consistency so that they have "bad" tournament days as rarely as possible and so that their "bad" tournament days don't affect their playing as much as it might affect others.

Something that I think helps me, especially in my first few games of the day, is forcing myself to play very defensive and patient, using mostly zoning moves at first. This helps me to think rather than just rushing in like instinct tends toward. Before long, natural playstyle kicks in and its simpler.

HAGGS

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice!

Ya it is definitely spirit breaking for me when I have an extremely bad showing since I am still working on alot of aspects of my game.

I guess I will just keep at it and hopefully won't have a bad day next weekend. There is a 100+ person tourney next weekend and last time I placed 33rd. Got to hopefully place at least as well and play it safe.

I will definitely play smart the first couple of games before I let my instinct set in.

Thanks again,

-HAGGS

prOAPC

Smash Lord
tournament matches are totally different from friendlies, some people just don't take seriously friendly matches, so they try new things and stuff, while, in a real fight, the play normally, just the way they play to win

heytallman

CTALL
When I first started attending tourneys, I got last for the first few times going. Just practice more, and with more experience you'll start to do better. Don't sweat a loss in winner's bracket, either. I know I'm going to loser's early, but that I just need to dominate there. Most of my tourney wins come after I've lost a set already lol.

Also, don't let players/tactics get in your head. Once I was down about 90% against a Zero Suit Samus going into her last stock, so I started doing nothing but PK fire and PSI magnet. Eventually, by playing keep away and whittling down bit by bit, I got in his head and I actually heard him say "ugh". I won the match, then he switched to Falco and immediately SD'd his first stock of the second match. If somebody changes their game mid-match, adapt to what they're doing!

But above all, just have a good time and see each tournament as a learning experience :D

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
its very rare that i play friendlies seriously. ill chase anything off the edge, and try and predict smashes all over the place, simply because if i stuff up and die early, who cares?

tournys and friendlies are very, very different.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
The same applies to just about every tournament. When it matters, you're scared, and you can't do as well.
And why end your posts with your name? It's in rather large font up on the top of your post.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
[deleted.]

Last edited:

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
its also a "friendly" you may be trying as hard as you were in the tourney but not everyone may.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Most people have their bad and good days. For me, it depend on how my will and faith is. The higher, the better the performance. If you are dominant on friendly is because...hmmm, I really don't know. I been told that they been sandbanging and the likes. but there is a major difference between friendlies and Tourney. When it comes to friendlies, they don't give a **** much. However, on tourneys, they get serious. Other players decide to lie to you about their mains. Like *Hey, i play luigi* When you beat him, you'll think that you'll beat him at the tourney, HOWEVER you'll learn later that he plays MK just to throw you off.

I was scared of playing peach because lucas can get chain grab but I fought it with no fear. I din't give a **** much about the match up because I wasn't scared. What happen? I beat the peach, thus peach experience.

Honestly, I think is the will power and the inner strength :p.

Top Bottom