• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Matches, please critique

Seba

Smash Cadet
Hi there, I wanted to share some of my Falco videos with you guys, I was wondering if you could give me some advices/ stuff I could implement on my game.

This tournament was held in my country a week ago, here are the matches. I'm the blue Falco.

Grand Finals
Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ityngMJ-Gxo
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T519by9pI1A
Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERRYmWcH5-4

Another good match
Match 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRmEeLf8G90

Thanks for watching! =D

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Um. This is really harsh. You're not as bad as this makes it sound, I'm just a little grumpy so I'm being really severe on your errors. I didn't point out any technical errors except really serious, unforgivable ones.

Match one:

:15 don't hit high on shield with dair
:17 why did you fulljump? you should have either lasered. an aerial might have worked because your opponent wasn't prepared, but laser is safer
then your opponent lets you back on the ground, then immediately full jumps. instead of staying on the ground to keep him in a bad position, you full hop (again!) into him, dont throw an attack, and get utilted.
:44 you grab a sh bair
:45 you do it again! he did it again. he spaced the first one right, why would he space this one badly? he could have predicted this and fsmashed easy
:47 you should have shine OoS'd the dash attack. or gotten out of the way. i think you might have had time to just bair faster, too, hard to tell.
1:07 you're full hopping (what is it with the fullhopping?) for no reason, when you control the ground. your opponent has either predicted you or gets lucky, and you eat 2 lasers and then get lasergrabbed.
1:13 you idj double laser. he takes one of them and lands on the top platform, you're on the middle platform. You do not have an opening. You jump in with a shine he would have had to do something really dumb to get hit by. you then hit his shield with a really high dair. he probably could have shield grabbed you, but reacts slowly and gets shined. he also definitely could have shined you.
After the shine, you go for a dair. it probably wasnt gonna work anyway because of the platform heights, and he goes down the middle. a second shine would have been more appropriate.
1:19 again, you dont have an opening. you throw an early nair which he kindly jumps into. you should have lasered here, or run in and shielded or something to bait.

1:22 you SHL (this is almost the first time you have), finally deciding to use your positional advantage
1:23 you run directly below him, having gotten bored of controlling the stage. It works out because he inexplicably throws an early, bair at the top of your shield. he's really just trying his hardest to give you these openings.
1:25 a laser to the right as you fell wouldn't have hurt anything and very likely would have caught him
1:26 jumping dairs to people on platforms aren't very good. if they hit, you probably can't follow, and if they miss (or land on a shield) you get ****ed. if you thought it was safe, a shine waveland would have been better, and if you didnt think it was safe, why the **** were you doing it?

1:28 he has the right platform, you have a tenuously controlling position in the middle. he jumps up because he needs to move around and find a way back down. he throws a dair for no particular reason into which you jump.

1:34 the backairs to control space and keep him cornered aren't bad. after you DJ bair though, he could have fallen through to the ground with a laser and gotten back control. he holds shield too long, though. he jumps backwards, and then phantasms right in front of you. you catch him with a dair (not the best option, but it's hard to see that coming.)

1:37 im not sure if this is a technical error or bad judgement. the fsmash was not a good choice though. you should have jumped onto the platform with him and wavelanded into shield or something. there was no chance he was going to land on the ground.
1:38 the FH (!) backair to punish his shield also couldnt have worked in any situation. and you hold towards him, giving him a free shot at you. you land on the top platform and to get back on the ground you fall through with a nair, which you throw very high. He overestimates you and by the time he realizes he can shield grab you it's too late, but he goes for it anyway, letting you dodge shine him. good job getting the spike, though.

1:49ish you have accurately realized that he has control of the stage and wait for an opportunity, which he happily gives you. why dont you realize it when you have control?

you hit him, land in shield (?), watch him run away with a sh uair (?) and then instead of lasering (if you didnt have your shield on you could have just run in with nair/dair, btw), you double jump onto the first platform (??). After you have asked him so nicely to take control back, you fall on him with a completely predictable dair, which he does nothing about. you then shield grab (you know shine combos on falco, right?) and somehow turn it into a decent combo.

1:53 you utilt a place he couldn't have been if he tried and chase his tech too slowly with a nair instead of lasering.

1:56 after he jumps off stage and then uses his double jump getting back on stage. you trade a bair with his dair (eh, happens)

2:03 i can only assume that random FH dair was meant to a falco who FHs randomly as much as you do.
there follows another fall-through, high, weak dair, you taking a few easy punishes, and him suiciding twice.

In the other games you demonstrate a lessened propensity for full hopping, but still do it too much. you also tend to vastly underuse lasers, approach when you don't have an opening, follow up inaccurately, and edgeguard inefficiently, among other things. I think if Gin's nerves could stand a little more pressure he would be dominating you. he spaces better, reads your techs, etc, he just makes awful decisions when he's not in control.

Seba

Smash Cadet

I'm still not that used to pressure since this is like my second tournament after a couple of years, but I will fix that soon :D Gin can play better than this also. We play friendlies pretty often.

Thanks for watching!

Filthee

Smash Rookie
Quite frankly Foxlisk, in all of the falco critique videos I see you comment on, you always come off as a pretentious douche. That being said you do have some valid points, but critiquing falcos isn't about just flaming other smashers because they make mistakes, you have to tell them what they did correctly along with the incorrect. Also your scrutiny of every little thing he does wrong is rediculous people have flaws and they make mistakes, that is part of smash. But to write him a wall of text for every mistake he does and then talk **** to him at the end really makes you look like a ****. Aswell you are pretty much asking him to have an immaculate falco, to be able to instantly counter whatever is thrown at him and put pressure on non stop without any slip-ups, the bottom line is, that is not possible thus making your harsh critiquing uneeded. I have never heard of you and I watch a fair amount of smash videos, so unless you are some pro in disguise or at least a well recognized falco on the forums, you have no place trashing other peoples hard work like that.

Bottom line, learn to play nice or **** off, it's obnoxious seeing your **** in every falco video thread.

Seba

Smash Cadet
Hey, it's ok. No offense taken by his post.
Me and Gin play much better when we are not under pressure, I think no one of us did a single Shine to aerial out of shield in the finals. We will be working on that and I will show a better performance on videos from both of us next time.

=)

Filthee

Smash Rookie
Don't get me wrong he is correct with most of what he says, there is just a more polite way to go about telling people what they do wrong. I know if I posted a video and the first response gave me negative after negative and then talked **** to me at the end I would be pretty frustrated

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Eh, if that's how people feel about it, I'll spend more time pointing out positives. When I asked for advice on some videos of me though, all I got was like, "dont shield pressure the same way all the time. otherwise you're not bad lol" which is worthless and frustrating, so I try to give detailed breakdowns of things I notice that I'm good enough to realize are mistakes or systematic bad decisions. I'd much rather a vicious wall of text than fluffy feel-good advice, so that's what I give other people. I already know that I'm decent at a lot of things, I want to know what I do wrong.

Besides, people generally have an idea of what they're good at. Isn't it more important to tell people what they need to improve on? Especially if you don't have any particularly good competition, and you're not getting punished for small mistakes, having someone point out to you where they exist is useful.

I'm really not trying to flame anyone, or expecting an immaculate falco. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with making mistakes, everyone does it, but isnt everyone's goal not to? My goal is not to make any mistakes when I play, so the more mistakes I know I'm making the better I'm able to correct and avoid them. I just assume that people asking for help have a similar position.

I mean. Look. I'm generally just a pretty abrasive person. People who know me are used to it and don't take it seriously, so I'm not used to softening it for strangers. I'll work on being gentler in the future. I'll go through later today when I've got time and explain the things he did that work well for him, too.

Filthee

Smash Rookie
I agree with what you are saying, but there is a middle ground between sugar coating everything and being ruthless (lol). However, I do think you are quite accurate in what you say in your critiquing and you do a good job in explaining what he should have done instead on many of his mistakes.
I'm sorry for kind of blowing up on you out of nowhere by the way that was a little uneeded.

Seba

Smash Cadet
I appreciate your advice and I didn't get frustrated by that text, in fact I rewatched the videos and it was very useful. That's what criticism is all about. If I wanted praise or something I would make a combo video xD

Thanks for watching guys.

Filthee

Smash Rookie
Foxlisk, if nobody else thinks you were rude at all then I am in the wrong and I am sorry for flaming you over nothing. You don't need to change how you critique because in the end you were correct in pretty much everything you said. I hope there is no resentment between us in the future

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Match two:

You immediately double laser hi-lo, which would have stopped a running or a fh nair approach. he runs into shield, which is a good start for you.

:06 you run up and dair far enough away to not get punished. he could have WD'd back and grabbed, but he was probably expecting another laser, so he jumps instead. while it doesn't connect, you're in a perfectly fine position. When you don't hit, you shield and roll backwards and get back into position.

:07 another hi-lo laser, which he manages to dodge but stops him from getting close enough to attack you. You follow this up with a running shl (unlike last time), which he shields. You now have him in his shield just out of grab range, which is a good place for you.

He actually jumps out into your dair, which works out well for you, but the dair would have been an appropriate follow up either way. His shield comes out before your shine, you shield pressure tidily and he gets away. I like the retreating nair at the end, although he doesn't actually fall for the bait and rolls instead.

:10 you roll backwards here, which I don't think was the best choice. Perhaps you didnt intend to be in shield and this was meant to be a dash. Rolling gives him the opportunity to get up to you while you're relatively helpless, and as you're jumping up to try another laser, he hits you (with a fair that I assume was meant to be a nair). After you rolled and saw him coming at you, I would have advised either a CC if you think he's likely to nair, a retreating laser or WD backwards or something if you think he'll attack where you were standing, or a shield or something if you think he'll go past/you're not sure. that's a trickier situation.

at :13, after some sloppiness by both players, you see an opportunity and dash attack. Fox is at very low % at this point, so a dash attack is not a safe option, but at least you went for the opening. After it hits and you realize he's going to have time to get to you, you try to utilt to out prioritize his move. I know some disagree, but my opinion is you shouldn't try to out prioritize moves (at least not in this matchup) except sort of as a desperation tactic. It makes sense if you were expecting him to run up and grab you or maybe even dash attack you. A CC shine might have been a better option, except that would have gotten owned by grab. overall not a bad decision, but one that doesn't work out for you.

He lands the weak bair, and then dash dances away and back into grab. he's baiting a spot dodge and you don't fall for it, rolling in instead.

At :15 your roll has ended. You're in almost a neutral position except he has a little lag left from the grab. You choose to play it aggressively, and you run in and attack. Against your opponent, this worked out, because he doesn't usually respond accurately to shield pressure, but in that situation against a strong opponent, you don't really have enough time to consider it an opening. I would have recommended lasering, or running partway forward and seeing what they do (eg if they dodge or stay in shield you can punish, or you can WD back laser or something, since you do have the initiative here). Capitalizing on the small moment you have is good, though, in any case.

Im not really sure what happens around the skip in the video.

:19 he's just rolled and is standing behind you, facing you. You FH dair his shield and after a moment get punished like you should; throwing a full hop aerial on a shield is not a safe option.

:20 he does about the same thing to you, haha. he fh bairs your shield. or tries to; you dodge it. i dont think the dodge lasts long enough to make it safe if he shines after he lands, but i could be wrong, and in either case he didnt. you shine and jump up and bair.

I'm not sure how I feel about the bair. It was pretty sure to work, which means it's at least a safe option. He was at 32% before the shine, so you weren't going to get another dair shine in. you could have gone for the bair and then tech chased, but that's not a guarantee. shine->WD->uair or shine->wd->nair->followup might have done more damage, but in that situation you just wanted to make sure he got off your back, so the bair was a good choice.

:22 he techs. You're not close enough to punish it. you WD backwards and then run in with a nair. This would have been the appropriate punishment if he had dodged, but he didn't. It was a good guess though, since he seems to fall back on dodging sometimes under pressure. In this situation, I think you had two real choices: go for some tricky kind of bait and punishment like you did, or just laser and try to keep him cornered with his back to the edge. that situation is lower risk but also harder to convert to a winning position, so either one was worth trying.

Anyway, he happens to out predict you, so you whiff a nair and get drilled. You DI the dair backwards and don't get shined, and land in shield. You're not in a good position. You choose to roll backwards. As it happened, it looks like you could have gotten a grab, but if he had sh naired you it would have been bad. he predicts the roll backwards but messes up the spacing or else you would have eaten an usmash or a grab.

around :25 you FH bair into DJ bair, which you also did in match one. he punishes it easily (although not severely); I'm just reminding you this is a risky habit to be in.

:28-:31 you get in a nice combo and read his tech in place correctly. good call on uair instead of bair; he DIs it wrong and eats more hits. you also follow up well with laser, which turns out to cover his roll left option perfectly, and was the only thing that would have caught his other options anyway, into grab dthrow dsmash for the kill. nice ending to the stock.

The rest of the match continues in the same vein. You're both rolling and dodging too much, but you're calling each other on it and punishing a decent amount of the time. I'll just point out a few things

at 1:27 you do a well-placed hi-lo laser. However, after it's over, he's closed the distance to you a lot, despite having been stopped with the low laser. He's far too close to you for another idj laser to be safe. A SHL would probably have worked, a retreating RSHL would have worked but put you too close to the edge... I'm not sure. I would probably have SHL'd or SH naired or something, but I'm not good enough to tell you the best option there.

1:40 you've got him cornered and you let him back out. you should try to pay attention to when you've got stage control and try to milk it. he has nowhere to go as long as you're between him and the middle of the stage, so you get to limit his decisions and thus he's easier to punish. Try to take advantage of it, and if you're going to surrender it it should be to bait an opening. This is one of the hardest things in smash, I think - for me at least - but also something you should really try to keep in mind.

Laser control around 2:00 was nice, and would have worked out if you had gotten the second one a little lower. That was a technical error, not a strategic one. Unless you meant for the second laser to stay high to punish a sh approach, in which case it was still a reasonable decision that just got outpredicted.

at 2:13 after a little combo, he hits the ground and you predict a tech left and run over with a dair. It misses, but that's not the point. I personally frequently predict my opponents correctly, hesitate, and don't have time to punish. the fact that you're confident and go over and throw the move means that as your predictions improve, you'll land more of the punishes you've earned, which is good. besides, you dont get punished for it at all, and couldn't have, really.

Lovely laser reset -> dsmash finish.

You gave Gin openings because your nerves kept making you roll and dodge and such, but you also took a lot of the ones he gave you, which is important. when you had stage control you capitalized on it sometimes and missed opportunities other times, just try to take more of what's given to you in the future.

Seba

Smash Cadet
That's great feedback, thanks a lot for your time. I appreciate those inputs a lot. I will work on everything you listed, and nerves of course :D

Top Bottom