• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Age Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
There is no real age limit, we get quite a few people around age 12/13 who like to come out for smash 4 at my local tournaments, and some that are even younger. The important thing is that every one is just there to play smash and have a good time, there is no reason why younger people can't join in with that.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
For the most part, there is no age limit. However, some tournaments are actually held in bars/have alcohol (Foundry being a good example), and thus there is an age limit of 21 (although I'm pretty sure SFAT isn't, but from what I understand you can go in if you have a responsible individual promise to make sure you don't drink).

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
There should be no age restriction unless its based on the venue (such as where alcohol is served). Smash is a game for all ages and at our tourneys we get kids as young as 10 or so playing.

diclonyuus

Smash Rookie
For big tourneys, as a TO, I have a rule that if you are a minor I want written permission from your parents to be there. Could also be because we're in Germany, but it's common practice in the events around here. The reason being I do not want to be in trouble / be legally responsible for what you do at my venue. But if that's taken care of, then everything's cool, and I'll be happy that I see young newcomers break into the smash scene!

That said, I've recently watched a twelve or thirteen year old girl play in a biweekly in Munich. She played with Wiimote + Nunchuck and played a lot of friendlies there with her friend, seemed to be having great fun!

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I took my 7 year old to a couple of tournaments. Everyone there was very encouraging. He loved playing. He even managed to beat some people, Lol. Make sure the scene is a place you want to be.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
The age limit is from 20 years, 2 months, and 12 days to 20 years, 6 months, and 14 days.
This age limit is for every local tourney in the world it is the official Smash Bros 4 age limit made by the SSB4 Backroom and enforced by the SSB4 Backroom Police.

Also you must be taller than 2.84 meter in order to join a tourney.

Last edited:

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Like other have said there is no age limit. At our tournaments there is an 8 year old who likes to compete. I do often prefer that a parent check in with me beforehand. TOs aren't really equipped to babysit. The younger the better. They are the future of the scene.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
While I totally trust every one of you here, if you are very young, please also consider having a friend with you, maybe a parent, guardian, sibling, etc when visiting an unfamiliar place. Also don't forget about your transportation, food, and such as a precaution.

As far as goers are involved, everyone there pretty much took time out of their day to do one thing: hang out and play smash. Can't imagine anyone being unwelcoming like that. Unless you or the goer is rude. A rude Randy. A Rudandy. Don't be a Rudandy.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
It all depends on the location/venue, tournament rules, etc. In Georgia, a lot of the tournaments I've been to had someone as young as 11 or 12 there (with a parent of course). At our MomoCon tournament (250 players) there were several 13 year olds and two 15 year olds got top 8.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I'm only 14 and I've been to my weeklies ever since I started and all types of people of different ages are there.

Depending on the tournament, I'm sure anyone of any age could enter!

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
If your like around the age of 8 to around 12 you should at least have a parent, sibling or some guardian with you if you enter a tournament just to be on the safe side, but if your like over the age of 14 to around 16 or 17 I see no problem with going to any tournaments alone as long as you have your parents/guardian's permission. So overall I see no problem with any ages entering a tournament as long as they don't throw some fit. Just my opinion

Raijinken

Smash Master
Aside from the obvious limits imposed by bars and whatnot, as long as you're reasonably mature and don't act like an annoying little kid (which I'm assuming you probably don't, based on your wording and decision to politely ask for input on a forum), no one should really care how old you are. But as others have mentioned, take due caution and plan for travel, food, etc.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
As a side note, Smash players tend to be very crass, so you should make sure your parents are okay with you listening to a bunch of people cursing all day.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
As a side note, Smash players tend to be very crass, so you should make sure your parents are okay with you listening to a bunch of people cursing all day.
generally this is venue-dependent. we host weeklies at a local gamestore where we know the owners and there are pretty clear language/behavior standards that we adhere to and enforce.

Heleno

Smash Rookie
NNID
Helenopaiva
3DS FC
4914-4744-1262
i was actually thinking the other way around when i clicked this post:
is there an upper cap?
as a 29 yo player, i find it interesting when ZeRo mentioned something about retiring before the old age of 30.... =(
do you guys thing the age can be an issue when taken into consideration the elder players?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
i was actually thinking the other way around when i clicked this post:
is there an upper cap?
as a 29 yo player, i find it interesting when ZeRo mentioned something about retiring before the old age of 30.... =(
do you guys thing the age can be an issue when taken into consideration the elder players?
Nah. There are people older than that who play.

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
As others have mentioned it's probably unlikely the tournament itself has an age limit. Some venues do. A bar could be 21+ or there could be venues that serve alcohol and age could be restricted to 16 or 18, forcing minors to wear wristbands making sure they aren't served alcohol (the same rules you would see applied to certain concert venues). Most tournaments have people under the age of 18 and some people not yet in their teens.

Jakamon

Smash Rookie
I'm 14 years old I'm been practicing on Super Smash Flash 2 Beta and still training till I'm eligible to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom