• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Ads

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Tournament ads have started! If you have questions or comments, feel free to post here. Make sure you read <a href="http://smashboards.com/tournamentad.php" class="yellow">this page</a> before asking questions.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
should be fixed now. you didn't include in the original email what the prizes were, so I tried to check the page I believe.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Ah I see. Sorry about that.

The tournament ads look great for the most part, but it's a bit annoying having to refresh every single time just to try and look for the one I'm looking for. Is there a way that someone could look at all of the ads that have been submitted on a single page?

I was imagining something like - For a list of all tournament ads, click here and it leads to a page with a list of all the tournament ads, in the same format.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but are there EVER any tournaments in Louisiana or Mississippi? I want to go to one so bad but they are always held in places like California or some other places super far away. Any help would be appreciated.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
This definitely isn't the right place.

Go into tournament discussion forums and look around, or go into Regional Zones. I think you're Midwest?

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Ah I see. Sorry about that.

The tournament ads look great for the most part, but it's a bit annoying having to refresh every single time just to try and look for the one I'm looking for. Is there a way that someone could look at all of the ads that have been submitted on a single page?

I was imagining something like - For a list of all tournament ads, click here and it leads to a page with a list of all the tournament ads, in the same format.
I really like this idea and am looking to implement it. The probel is, there really isn't a whole lot of space up there. Either the layout would have to be rearranges, or one of the lines such as a "prize" would have to be reomed to make room.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Any plans to impliment this on any other styles? Smash Blue, for example, has tons of free space in the top right on the header.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
it's possible, but such a small percentage of people use styles other than revolution. i don't think the current box would fit up there either.

JFox

Smash Hero
I acknowledge that I am in the minority, and therefore it is not top priority, but I would enjoy seeing the tournament ads on my classic blue skin. I think its only fair that all SWF members have access to tourney ads, and more importantly that all tournaments have access to all SWF members when paying for the ads.

mord

Smash Rookie
smash bros.

:confused: is there like um anny tournaments in bakersfield ca.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Next person who asks if there is a tournament in "anywhere" please don't. it is spam and you could be warned for not trying to contribute to the thread.

The tournament ads do look pretty good I must admit I have gone to all of the threads so far that are on set to be viewed on the ad. Good Job Gideon!

Oorp

Smash Rookie
Okay ive got a dicussion

00rp here! i have thought of a cool discussion... Alright here we go. Wave Dashing... whats the point... i mean i know it can replace movement but whats the point it takes so **** long to do it anyways that by the time you do it you oponent porbably already hit you like 3 times sooo whats the point??? id like to here your side of the story. 00rp out.

marthsword

Smash Ace
00rp here! i have thought of a cool discussion... Alright here we go. Wave Dashing... whats the point... i mean i know it can replace movement but whats the point it takes so **** long to do it anyways that by the time you do it you oponent porbably already hit you like 3 times sooo whats the point??? id like to here your side of the story. 00rp out.
what??? you obviously cant wavedash well at all, if you did, you would know everything you said was wrong. It does not take long, no, not if you know how to use it. For many characters wavedashing is a faster way of traveling than running, and u are able to use any move after it, whereas if you used running, you wouldn't be able to attack right away, unless you dash canceled, but then you would only be able to down tilt/down smash, or upsmashed out of the run. Wavedashing is also the fastest possible way to edgehog. And finally, why is this in the tournament ads section? It's completely random.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
I agree, it allows you to move in a standing position, you can do it anyway you want and you can do moves as you do it. And as long as you practice wavedashing, then it shouldn't take you forever.

Kragen

Smash Ace
^
Go spam somewhere else, like in the Melee Discussion.

I really like this idea and am looking to implement it. The probel is, there really isn't a whole lot of space up there. Either the layout would have to be rearranges, or one of the lines such as a "prize" would have to be reomed to make room.
Imo, the prizes don't have to be in the ads. If people are interested enough, they will click the link, where they'll find the prizes anyway.

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
^
Go spam somewhere else, like in the Melee Discussion.

Imo, the prizes don't have to be in the ads. If people are interested enough, they will click the link, where they'll find the prizes anyway.
I agree. I would go further and argue that Prizes should not be listed in the initial ad face. Save that for the actual Ad when you click through.

Should show IMO:
Entry Fee
Date

On the click through they should have to include all of the above + (no specific order)
Prizes
Rules
Location (address included)
Registration
Start Time

I run a lot of tournaments in WA for SSBM and Halo/Halo2. While the payout is important, its not critical to the initial 3 or 4 line ad. If the tournament is not one you can participate in (for example you are strictly a solo player and it ends up being only a 2v2 (prob a bad example but oh well), the payout doesnt matter because you cant go anyway...
So Tournament Format/Game Type is more important to determining click through then prizes (again my opinion only).

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
I appreciate the feedback and will probably be making some changes in the near future.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Actually one of the reasons i went to the threads was because of the prizes. That is one of the main reasons.

super_nintendo

Smash Journeyman
Not much consistancy with the ads. Is a possible lowering in price going to change that? I'm not sure, but maybe we need to draw a little more attention to this, or create specials for a buy one week, get the second free.

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
Lowering the rate is usually not the answer, over all.

Though I have to say, by my LAN Center posting an ad on here, it will net out to no more participation almost for certain.
The Smash community seems, to me, to be pretty tight over all, if I can infer anything from the Washington and Oregon crews and apply it to the rest of the Country, the word spreads through out all of them w/o any advertising.

That said, I will advertise a couple times in 2007 just as a "support" measure for this board.

Make it $10, so that the amount is a round number, maybe do a 4 or 5 weeks or 10 for 13 weeks sort of thing, run some promo for longer term advertising, like papers do.

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Is paypal the only method of payment? I would rather use a credit card.
you can pay by credit card through paypal.

I'll probably be tweaking a few things this month with the tourney ad system. THanks for the suggestions.,

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I actually like the idea of a link somewhere on the boards that would lead us to a page of the current tournaments being advertised through the current system. Which also brings up another point. The least that could be done with the other board styles, for I know someone mentioned a blank space on there (I wouldn't know, I too use revolution), is to link to a page with the current advertised tournaments. True it is not the same format, however it is another option to add on, and eases tension on those that use other board styles so that they may access the same information as everyone else.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Sometimes I wonder if it is the same person making multiple accounts...

Please use the search feature, specifically in your own Regional Zone. :)

Top Bottom