• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOs: Hold low tier tournaments, help the community!

Prawn

Smash Master
With all the "ban" MK hype, the "overcentralizing" of the metagame, and all the attention these giant tournaments like Genesis get, one thing remains the same:Low tier tournaments do not get the attention they deserve. Right now, a normal tournament(in my area at least) goes: Doubles, Singles, then usually enough time for a draft crew or side event which SOMETIMES includes a very small entry fee low tier tournament. This is not right.

What I propose, is that TOs in different areas begin to incorporate or if time doesn't allow HOLD a low tier tournament every once in a while. Low tier tournaments can spark new healthy competition, and rapidly advance a metagame of characters that otherwise remain untouched. Is it really impossible to fit Doubles, Singles, and Low Tiers all into one day? I think that the smash community as a whole would still compete in these events at the same numbers as they do the normal events. With low tier tournaments new advancements can be made and new entertaining matches can be played.

Does anyone else feel like this? Or is it just me?

Brado

Smash Lord
We had a Low Tier tournament at our last Tournament, everybody entered, and everybody enjoyed it.
It varied the competition so much, one of the best players in the UK lost a match to the worst in out region. Lolz happened.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
More like, how does only using characters with bad attacks and options make the game funner? I think low-tier tournaments would be good for the lulz, but not much else.

.Marik

is a social misfit
More like, how does only using characters with bad attacks and options make the game funner? I think low-tier tournaments would be good for the lulz, but not much else.
They're beneficial to the community.

These events allow talented players to shine without having to worry about MetaKnight players or Falco/Marth/Snake/Dedede players.

The metagame unfortunately, revolves around the top 10 characters. These Tournaments allow other characters to make a stand for themselves without having to worry about substantially horrible matchups.

Besides, they're only assets, not the main event themselves. Why would you protest these side Tournaments in the first place?

You do know how fun Low-Tier characters are correct? Lol that alone warrants these Tournaments to happen.

Ganondorf>MetaKnight get at me gogogogogo.

Brado

Smash Lord
I assumed this thread would be full of MK mainers complaining about how they cant play the game without MK or how stupid it is.

Low tiers are fun, it gives much neeed character variation, so what if there are less characters, at least people will be playing characters not in S/A tier for a change.

Prawn

Smash Master
Bad attacks and options vs. higher tiers under the constraints of the current metagame.

i think low tier events suck

how does a game become funner when you take out 2/3rds of the characters?
Alright, look at regular tournaments, is every character used? Absolutely ****ing not, 2/3rds of the characters aren't even viable. So by your own logic you're wrong.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Alright, look at regular tournaments, is every character used? Absolutely ****ing not, 2/3rds of the characters aren't even viable. So by your own logic you're wrong.
the fact that people choose not to use characters because they aren't "viable" has nothing to do with whether the players have that option or not

i'd be more interested in an items-legal tournament or wario-ware only tournament

Prawn

Smash Master
the fact that people choose not to use characters because they aren't "viable" has nothing to do with whether the players have that option or not

i'd be more interested in an items-legal tournament or wario-ware only tournament
Fact: If you use Ganon, you will not win.

How is using him an option then? The same goes for a whole host of other characters.

pockyD

Smash Legend
"Fact": if you aren't m2k or ally, you won't win (is this a fact? I'm not a barlw player so I don't actually know, but it seems these guys are always top 2...)

how is playing the game an option then?

Prawn

Smash Master
Already do,

andddd I'm not forcing them I'm urging them.

But PockyD low tier games are much different in brawl then they are in melee.

Prawn

Smash Master
I believe they're different yes.

But if you want to be a condescending sarcastic douchebag(as well as you PockyD), then I suppose that's fine too.

Glad you made it out of pools at Genesis pocky!

pockyD

Smash Legend
Already do,

andddd I'm not forcing them I'm urging them.

But PockyD low tier games are much different in brawl then they are in melee.
what's the difference? (seriously, i'm asking)

Are they?

I wonder. Hey Pocky, do you think I could beat Ally while we're both playing low-tiers?

Smooth Criminal
lol...

sure the people at the top may change, but won't it still be the same cluster of players at the top?

I believe they're different yes.

But if you want to be a condescending sarcastic douchebag(as well as you PockyD), then I suppose that's fine too.
why do you assume any form of disagreement is someone being offensive? often, sarcasm or a ridiculous example is a solid way to get a point across

Glad you made it out of pools at Genesis pocky!
thanks i guess

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No need for insults. I was simply illustrating the point that it's more the player behind the 'toon that makes the win. The character itself has a small hand in it. I can play Sheik in Melee like a scrub, but that doesn't mean I'm going to beat a Roy main that knows what the hell he's doing. Same concept with scrubby Metaknights in Brawl.

There's already plenty of diversity in tournaments, anyway. Those that represent the underrepresented just need to get better at the game.

Smooth Criminal

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I hold low tier tournies ALL the time at my HOBO events. Some one should start saving the results........

.Marik

is a social misfit
Ally's Captain Falcon is really good, he'd probably place top 3 at every single one he participates in lol.

Prawn

Smash Master
what's the difference? (seriously, i'm asking)
Low Tiers still may have undiscovered things that could change their ranking drastically, where as in melee I'd assume that MOST if not ALL of the gamechanging discoveries regarding low tiers have been made.

why do you assume any form of disagreement is someone being offensive? often, sarcasm or a ridiculous example is a solid way to get a point across
I don't assume all forms of disagreement are offensive, I assume sarcasm/patronization to be offensive.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Low Tiers still may have undiscovered things that could change their ranking drastically, where as in melee I'd assume that MOST if not ALL of the gamechanging discoveries have been made.
the thing is, seeing how low tiers perform against other low tiers has little to no effect on how they perform against high tiers

this is why, even in melee tournaments, you don't strictly see low tier mains dominating low tier tournaments; low tier mains have games geared towards competing with the standard high tiers, whereas low tier vs low tier matchups generally present completely different dynamics

the way to make "gamechanging discoveries" that affect the actual metagame, not the contrived one of low tiers, is to play your low tier characters vs high tiers

I don't assume all forms of disagreement are offensive, I assume sarcasm/patronization to be offensive.
if you intend to spend any reasonable time on smashboards, or even the internet, i'd probably try to get over that asap

Prawn

Smash Master
the thing is, seeing how low tiers perform against other low tiers has little to no effect on how they perform against high tiers

this is why, even in melee tournaments, you don't strictly see low tier mains dominating low tier tournaments; low tier mains have games geared towards competing with the standard high tiers, whereas low tier vs low tier matchups generally present completely different dynamics

the way to make "gamechanging discoveries" that affect the actual metagame, not the contrived one of low tiers, is to play your low tier characters vs high tiers
But holding these types of events will inspire more players to pick up a low tier

if you intend to spend any reasonable time on smashboards, or even the internet, i'd probably try to get over that asap
Woohoo patronization! Also. plz dnt tell me how2interwebz bcuz I doz it moar & better than thou.

pockyD

Smash Legend
But holding these types of events will inspire more players to pick up a low tier
once again, using low tiers in the low tier metagame is radically different than using them vs the full cast

Woohoo patronization! Also. plz dnt tell me how2interwebz bcuz I doz it moar & better than thou.
i don't know if that's something to be proud of, but you should really get over yourself

an argument can be about the idea at hand; it does not need to involve animosity between the parties involved

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
being a low tier mainer, I feel that my opinion is well placed in this discussion... ok.. so here goes:

- why would you remove the challenge in playing a lower tier character?
- how would that help in overall tier placements? seeing as the tier placements are based off of reputable tournaments where any character can be used, why would you belive this to help the "lower tier community"

- without the challenge guess what? in a low-tier tournament, you have created a smaller and newer tier list, where the higher end lower tiers still have a better chance of winning.. so wouldnt that make it pointless...?

** you see it can be very enjoyable, but for it to be factored into something as important as the tier list wouldnt be fair to the rest of the community, regardless of advantages and disadvantages.

ps dont even bother flaming me and telling me i dont know anything.. I main link and ganon + capt falcon on top of the G&W I play

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah i should clarify; it's not that low tiers aren't fun for their own sake (though i don't enjoy it, i don't see a reason why most people wouldn't) - it's just that running low tier doesn't do anything more to "help the community" than even, say, crews

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
agreed pocky - i do enjoy lower tiers, but at the same time just modifying the environment to suit people's needs isnt the grounds for a standard that the tier list can follow, because the tier list is unbiased and based on facts + results

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I see many of you don't understand low tier tournaments.... they're not serious. Well they are serious but they're not the focus of the tournament. It's kind of like how Brawl+ is played on the side at some tournaments. The point behind low tier tournaments is to see under played characters getting played in a real tournament match.

And yes, I think more low tier tournaments should be done, let Ally show what us why Falcon can be top tier one day....

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I have no qualms with low-tier tournaments as a side event. However, saying that it's not right to not have it as a side event is kind of bleh, and your reasoning is kind of bleh.

What about crews? Crews are fun, challenging, and a great way to show friendly (or not so much) rivalries between regions. There's nothing wrong with having crews in place of low-tier, and there's nothing wrong with having low-tier in place of crews (well large tournaments are probably going to have crews either way, but low-tier in place of it when it's like an interstate tournament).

Low-tier tournaments can be fun for people, and they should be a side event if the people at the tournament think it's a fun idea. However, I don't see how it can spark low-tier metagame, when low-tier metagame consists largely of how well they do against viable characters. And there's still going to be characters in low-tier that are better than the others to use.

If it's fun and the TO wants it, sure, have a low-tier tournament. If not, oh well. This really isn't an issue, and it doesn't help nor hurt the community in any way.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I think this idea is great, it develops your skill while facing new and different characters while forcing you to think what attacks you should implement yourself

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
I basically agree with the others. Although I find low tier tournaments to be a lot of fun, and giving low tier characters more screen time might improve common knowledge of them and therefore lead to new discoveries, a rash of low tier tourneys isn't really going to deepen their metagame in any perceptible capacity.

Top Bottom