• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tormentran

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I've been seeing so few of these lately.

They were quite big back in Gen IV as I recall, but ever since Gen V came around, they've dropped severely in number.

I'm not sure why this is. He's really quite a great stall option if used correctly.
Even with the addition of new threats this generation, he still performs his job well.

:006:

Well... Just posting a video to show why Tormentran should still be considered a Viable threat.

Heres me getting a ragequit on a potential BP sweep.
Only 23 turns for those with busy schedules...

Correct Link: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou3942267

[For those confused, I'm going by the Alias "El Bishop" In the Video.]

ss118

Smash Master
Torment tran is one of the best ways to use heatran in this generation.

The problem is how hard it is to dedicate a slot to SR. Heatran does it perfectly because it is threatening to be able to get it out for free and doesn't let too many things set up on it for free. Not many other offensive pokemon can do this it seems, and then on stall teams heatran usually doesn't fit unless it is bulky sleeptalker.

Short story even shorter, the metagame wants offensive SRers that threaten **** and Heatran does it very well since it has free slots now due to nerfed explosion.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Torment tran is one of the best ways to use heatran in this generation.

The problem is how hard it is to dedicate a slot to SR. Heatran does it perfectly because it is threatening to be able to get it out for free and doesn't let too many things set up on it for free. Not many other offensive pokemon can do this it seems, and then on stall teams heatran usually doesn't fit unless it is bulky sleeptalker.

Short story even shorter, the metagame wants offensive SRers that threaten **** and Heatran does it very well since it has free slots now due to nerfed explosion.

Ah.
So it's not that he got any worse. It's just that he just has better options?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm not entirely sure this merits its own thread but whatever.

So, ah, where is this video?

ss118

Smash Master
It's that honestly if you put together six pokemon that work together and one of them is Heatran, he's very likely the best pokemon to have SR on compared to the other five.

TormentHeatran seems like one of those pokemon that would need a team focused around him. Ideally on a bulky offensive team that would force opening and allow him to get in and set up with hazards out. In the case of 5th gen, this doesn't seem really probable due to everything doing so much damage that the one turn you let through will likely kill you.

Which is why I run offensive Deoxys-D when I want hazards. Want to set up? Eat my LO STAB 140 base power move. This is a side-effect from the explosion nerf, btw.

You will also need some sort of weather control because while rain doesn't effect the idea of torment/protect/sub, it's still gay to have no control. SS with hazards is also fun, and compliments the idea well.

So basically go Heatran/ Deoxys-D/ Tyranitar/ Gengar[Or some other ghost type]/ Genesect/ random pokemon that does random stuff. Probably a general good start. Gliscor probably fits on that team well.

Edit: Speaking of Gliscor, it might do the whole torment set thing better, with Posion Heal granting it almost complete immunity if it gets a sub up with protect and it being many speed tiers higher. Fire is a more threatening attacking type than ground/ flying and bulky waters **** you up even harder considering now they alternate between ice beam + surf, but whatever. What do I know.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I see what you're getting at.
I actually have a team that I'm workign on that's based on the same idea.

[COLLAPSE="Log"]

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 44 SDef / 220 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Torment
- Substitute

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SDef / 80 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Spd / 212 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Taunt

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar
- Wish
- Reflect

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Spd / 184 Def
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Taunt
[/COLLAPSE]

More on topic, he seems good also as a disruptor when dealing with certain threats. A lot of times dealing with him means you either end up getting wittled down, or you have to switch.

He's probably better of suited to other things if you're going to use him. But it seems like a decent strategy nonetheless...

Perhaps a a pressure poke to help wrack up entry damage...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Because people are still pretending Excadrill is legal and running Bulkyscor

ss118

Smash Master
Well it's ********.

Just like your post count.

Holy ****, mr mario.

So I don't get infracted I will say that torment gliscor feels pretty legit, akin to the legendary substall walrein in hail of gen IV.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
ur just jelly of my postcount

also Kyu-B got unbanned

I heard TormentTran wrecks that pretty hard too

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
ur just jelly of my postcount

also Kyu-B got unbanned

I heard TormentTran wrecks that pretty hard too

Rlly?
Brb, making a team centered around it!

:006:

I just got wrecked by a quick taunt team using the one below.
Definitely should invest in heavy speed for Gliscor.

Thanks Ulti.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Torment Gliscor seems like one of those Pokemon that can be unkillable at the cost of not doing anything other than being unkillable.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Tormentran is bad because of Dugtrio. You instantly lose to sun if you're using tormentran imo. Rain is also using dugtrio so that they can trap jirachi's that wall tornadus-t.

ss118

Smash Master
I like how ulti got the thanks for me suggesting that people should use faster gliscors. >_>"

Also that is precisely the problem with Gliscor. At least if Heatran does it he can lava plume on free turns and eventually kill things. Gliscor would want to use AA or EQ for STAB and both are terrible. Taunt is also much better on him but then you can kill anything... but it does make it easy for easy switch-ins, though

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
1500 isn't great on PS mow lol

Like 1900+ would be a really good rating.

ss118

Smash Master
I had 1900 rating at one point but then I started trolling with a CB team, and then I used the team I posted here to bring myself from like 1400 to 1800 with high GXE or whatever.

D

Deleted member

1500 isn't great on PS mow lol
thats the joke

i was being an ******* to be funny

i never got my rating much over 1900 until i stole panamaxis's anti-tspikes offense team outright. that team was godlike though lol

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
The highesg I've been is 1716 iirc.

But then I went and made a SSBB team of Jigglypuff/Ivysaur/ ect.
and dropped down several hundred lol.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm really glad you bumped the thread to say that, TRG. You are an excellent human being and I hope you live a long and fulfilling life.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
This place has been dead for a while. Ever since 5th gen started nobody cared anymore with the tournaments so every1 left.

:phone:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, thanks guys, really productive topic of discussion here.

The fact that people still post (even if it's rarer than it used to be) is indication that, no, it's not actually "dead yet." If we still had a social, then you could discuss that there, but we don't (and before anybody points fingers, that wasn't my doing), so if we could either discuss the topic at hand or just let the thread do what it's going to, that would be marvelous.

Top Bottom