• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Torch Man's Campfire (Mega Man Social)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Welcome to the Mega Man Social.

Feel free to pull out a sleeping bag and roast some marshmallows. Mind the giant flaming robot turkeys, and get ready for lots of tent talk.

Remember only you can prevent forest fires/Wood Man being set on fire.

Mega Man Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/8cyBkbm
*Please read rules before posting. Smashboards has no affiliation over what happens off-site.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The OP was from a deleted user. It would look funny to keep it open. Was just easier to start a new thread in vein of the Wii U one.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think the change to Leaf Shield is overall a nerf... you can't throw a MB, you can't grab. While it's a partly control scheme thing, having to hold down the button is also kind of annoying. While it's a better projectile if that's all you're using it for, losing those options makes the projectile itself probably less useful, because you can't threaten to do anything else...

It may be more useful in certain situations though. Leaf Shield was one of the better options to force certain campy FG players to approach, because it would absorb and go through Link's arrows, for example (and also usually hit even if the Hylian Shield was up). Since it's faster now, it's probably more useful for that purpose than before.

But not being able to use it for grabs probably makes it a lot worse overall. Maybe we'll find some more uses for it.

This does seem like the sort of change that is unlikely to be undone via patch, since they changed the controller inputs.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think the change to Leaf Shield is overall a nerf... you can't throw a MB, you can't grab. While it's a partly control scheme thing, having to hold down the button is also kind of annoying. While it's a better projectile if that's all you're using it for, losing those options makes the projectile itself probably less useful, because you can't threaten to do anything else...

It may be more useful in certain situations though. Leaf Shield was one of the better options to force certain campy FG players to approach, because it would absorb and go through Link's arrows, for example (and also usually hit even if the Hylian Shield was up). Since it's faster now, it's probably more useful for that purpose than before.

But not being able to use it for grabs probably makes it a lot worse overall. Maybe we'll find some more uses for it.

This does seem like the sort of change that is unlikely to be undone via patch, since they changed the controller inputs.
Isn't Mega Man's Pummel faster? It looked like it from some footage I saw. But getting a ton of info on Mega Man's been a little hard for videos.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I haven't really examined his pummel. I'm not very good about using pummels in general, although Mega Man's being so slow probably didn't help there. I'm not really someone who collects frame data, so I won't be giving you any numbers.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I haven't really examined his pummel. I'm not very good about using pummels in general, although Mega Man's being so slow probably didn't help there. I'm not really someone who collects frame data, so I won't be giving you any numbers.
Typically, you can get 2 or 3 pummels per throw. Not a lot compared to Samus or Ryu, but it looked faster in Ultimate, letting you get 4 or 5 pummels before they escape/get thrown, but I don't know if it actually was made that way.

glenn

Smash Cadet
I finally unlocked Mega Man, and gave him a test drive. He seems to play more or less the same as his 4 counterpart. The leaf shield change is perplexing since it really makes it less useful as a pressure/mixup tool, but the buff to the leaves makes the projectile itself stronger. I don't think that outweighs the nerf though.

Megaman's run and gun gameplan seems like it may suffer in this game because of Ultimate's focus on fast movement, lack of hitstun, and early KO's. It also still feels like he doesn't have reliable KO options. But I need to lab him out some more.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Can I share and invite to the SSBU Mega Man Discord server ? The sub-forum seems... kind of dead.
If you do I'll add it to the OP. Just keep in mind that Smashboards doesn't officially endorse nor have any control over what goes on in it.

Legal stuff I have to say. :p

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Question: How well does Mega Man play with a rushdown (or kinda) playstyle? I played him casually in Smash 4 but I am getting more serious in Ultimate, and I want him in my roster, but I don't want a massive divergence in playstyles among my fighters.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Question: How well does Mega Man play with a rushdown (or kinda) playstyle? I played him casually in Smash 4 but I am getting more serious in Ultimate, and I want him in my roster, but I don't want a massive divergence in playstyles among my fighters.
While he's definitely not a rushdown character, you can play him more aggressively than other zoner type characters. He's a mid-range character so he's not best up close and personal but you don't want to create too much distance since you don't really have any strong projectiles to threaten with (like Samus' Charge Shot). You want to be always on the move and constantly limiting the options your opponent has. To do that you have to make good use of the variety of weapons he has, such as directional metal blades to cover platforms or crash bomb to force shield or a dodge. But being able to control his Mega Buster moves is paramount to playing well, so if you're serious about playing him practice that before anything else. If you really want to go in, fair and bair are both great for racking up damage and KOing (but use them sparingly because those are some of your few kill moves). Sweetspot nair (the physical hitbox on the Mega Buster) has great base knockback for getting people off you or giving you more stage control, and can transition from jab/ftilt on the ground.

There's no way around it though: Mega Man's playstyle is going to be a massive divergence regardless of who you play because he doesn't really control like anyone else in the game. That isn't to say you always have to play campy, you can use his projectiles aggressively for some truly oppressive stage control while still moving in on your opponent. He does requires patience, both in execution and when maintaining a lead in battle (or making a comeback).

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Hi my name is MegaRobMan, and I've had this tag since before mega man was a character in smash and people just assumed I was a Brawl ROB player. I play Mega Man. Mostly on NES and Wii (I'm currently on the last leg of playing all serious mega man rom hacks that exist, finished all 1, 3-6 but I saved 2 for last because it would take the longest [even though back in 2011-12 I played through every single mega man rom hack, I am just playing them all again AND playing the new ones along with it]). I have only played mega man 11 for about 8 minutes as I bought my niece and nephew Mega Man 11 for Christmas, I fear change in the mega man series which is why I love 9 and 10 so much but I loved 11 and I'll play it eventually, I could download it on the Steam but idk man.

I played Mega Man on the switch earlier tonight for the first time. I was not a fan of Mega Man in sm4sh, tbh I really only thought Mario was fun to play in that game. I think I'm gonna main this Mega Man in Ultimate so Hi. I mained who my buttons are on here in most smash games, except Sm4sh I started out sheik but switched to Mario (but I think I went to like 4 4 tournaments. PM I guess I use sheik instead of Luigi but I did play Luigi back when PM luigi was first a thing so ayee. I liked Kirby in 64, Sheik in Melee, Wolf in Brawl and they were really my mains.

Glad you guys like mega man and I hope you are an enthusiast.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
While he's definitely not a rushdown character, you can play him more aggressively than other zoner type characters. He's a mid-range character so he's not best up close and personal but you don't want to create too much distance since you don't really have any strong projectiles to threaten with (like Samus' Charge Shot). You want to be always on the move and constantly limiting the options your opponent has. To do that you have to make good use of the variety of weapons he has, such as directional metal blades to cover platforms or crash bomb to force shield or a dodge. But being able to control his Mega Buster moves is paramount to playing well, so if you're serious about playing him practice that before anything else. If you really want to go in, fair and bair are both great for racking up damage and KOing (but use them sparingly because those are some of your few kill moves). Sweetspot nair (the physical hitbox on the Mega Buster) has great base knockback for getting people off you or giving you more stage control, and can transition from jab/ftilt on the ground.

There's no way around it though: Mega Man's playstyle is going to be a massive divergence regardless of who you play because he doesn't really control like anyone else in the game. That isn't to say you always have to play campy, you can use his projectiles aggressively for some truly oppressive stage control while still moving in on your opponent. He does requires patience, both in execution and when maintaining a lead in battle (or making a comeback).
I see, thanks. I think at the end of the day, Mega Man is just like Villager, PAC-MAN, Isabelle, Duck Hunt and maybe one or two others. Basically, a fighter that requires a different, unique mindset and approach when playing them :)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Figured some of you guys would like this. GaMetal uploaded a cover of Splash Woman's theme.

Oh, and who's your favorite MM11 boss? Assuming you guys played the game, if you haven't I'd recommend it.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Oh, and who's your favorite MM11 boss? Assuming you guys played the game, if you haven't I'd recommend it.
Now we're talking! Favorite mm11 boss is Torch Man. I am way more partial to Mega Man 1-6 and 9/10 though. However I would say that 8 is excellent and mega man 7 is great, but not quite the masterpieces that the 8 bit style games are. I also really love mega man x-x5, that series really took a big nose dive after mega man x5. Mega Man Zero series is also very good, 1-3 at least, 4 is a major let down in all phases in terms of level design, music, etc...

I think we could spread this across the entire series. Who is your favorite robot master and why is it Shadow Man or Pharaoh Man? What is your favorite song and please don't say wily 2-1, mine is probably Gemini Man from the 1-6 but I'd say that my overall favorite might be We are the Robots which is wily 9-2, though Solar Mans theme sounds like legit Psychobilly music. Favorite Weapon is probably Wheel Cutter from mm10, that weapon is just fun af to use, 1-6 is probably Top Spin just because it's fun, not always practical but oh well. As far as the X series I'd say my favorite Robot Master is Neon Tiger because I like to think of myself as a cat. Favorite theme is tougher in the X series, though I think it's probably Jet Stingray from X4. Favorite weapon in X series is tougher because of the fact that you can charge them up, being able to air dash into charged up flame stag into air dash is an elite level of awesomeness, though.

Favorite game is probably Mega Man 9 followed by Mega Man 3. The next choice is very difficult as I think considering Mega Man 10 has 9 different playmodes (easy/normal/hard and mega/proto/bass), but you would have to select the normal mega mode for discussion to be fair. As far as the X series is concerned, Mega Man X2 might be the best game ever made, period. So that's an easy one for me, followed by X and X4, X3 and X5. X6-X8 never happened.

I actually have a page on smashboards called the Nebraska Mega Man Power Rankings and it is where me and some other Nebraska players ranked mega man games and discussed them very thoroughly, however time has shown me the light on mega man 6 which I severly underappreciated in years past. This was due to the slide in mega man 6 being so horrible. It still is, but you can't deny it's gameplay and overall design. Plus Rush Jet is so much fun to use.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
There are too many Mega Man songs to choose from, but tbh MM2 Wily Stage 1&2 is pretty far up there. But MM2 intro, Flash Man, Bubble Man, MM3 intro, Snake Man, MM3 Wily Fortress 2, Cossack Fortress 2 and Flame Man are all pretty great, among others.

Actually, most of the stage themes from MM2 and 3 are pretty great.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really liked the mechanics of Mega Man X8, from the tag-team system, building super meter, and mixing and matching armor pieces, that was all really cool, not the best game of the MMX titles, but a step above X6 and X7. Though Mega Man X and Mega Man X2 are definitely my favorite of that series. And MMX3 and MMX4 also being fantastic. Sometimes I think people look down on MMX8 strictly because it came out after the series' lowpoint, but to me it was a step in the right direction.

MMX5 was only OK to me, and X6 is a guilty pleasure title due to the soundtrack, (most)weapons and armors being awesome. But the level design and some bosses were pretty bad.

For Classic Mega Man, I still say MM3, MM7 and MM10 are probably my top 3 favorites. But honestly each game is pretty good, with only Mega Man 1 being a little too outdated by literally every other sequel.

Mega Man 7 is the best <3
For sure.

There are too many Mega Man songs to choose from, but tbh MM2 Wily Stage 1&2 is pretty far up there. But MM2 intro, Flash Man, Bubble Man, MM3 intro, Snake Man, MM3 Wily Fortress 2, Cossack Fortress 2 and Flame Man are all pretty great, among others.

Actually, most of the stage themes from MM2 and 3 are pretty great.
Metal Man, Wood Man, Air Man, Heat Man, Title Theme and Wily 1/2 are my favorites of MM2.
Title Theme, Shadow Man, Magnet Man, Snake Man, Spark Man and Gemini Man are my favorites of MM3.
Cossack 2, Pharaoh Man, Dive Man and Skull Man are the best MM4 tracks I think.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Picking favorite Mega Man songs is like picking favorite foods. They're all so good. Guess if I had to pick a favorite from each game you'd have:
Fire Man
Quick Man
Spark Man
Bright Man
Dark Man
Flame Man
Shade Man
Saturn Tengu Man
Pirate Man
We're the Robots
Nitro Man
Fuse Man

And from MMV for the Gameboy, Saturn

But really, that doesn't even scratch the surface of great songs from the series. Especially the great songs from the X series.

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Xzsmmc Xzsmmc you are very cool for including mega man V for gameboy on your list.

Knight Dude Knight Dude X8 is not a bad game compared to x6 and x7, it's a much better game than x7 at least, and it did a good job trying something new. But it's not up to the level of quality other mega man games have.

X6's level design being based around saving people instead of action, having only like 3 enemies other than bosses in the entire game is bad. I do agree the soundtrack rules though.

Also Mega Man 1 is better than mega man 7 and 8, possibly combined. It's such a good speed run, too :o

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Picking favorite Mega Man songs is like picking favorite foods. They're all so good.
Maybe I should listen to them again, but I'm not sure I particularly like any of the tracks from Mega Man 8 and I actively dislike a number of them. Certainly I find it to be the weakest soundtrack from a classic Mega Man game, although I guess Mega Man & Bass is a bit weak too (not surprising given the connection between it and MM8). ETA: I also find the soundfont on MM11 tracks to be a little cheesy.

But for all of the rest of the classic games, most tracks range from good to great to amazing.

If you're talking Mega Man Game Boy games, Wily Base music on the space station from Wily's Revenge is very catchy, and the basis for Heart of Enker in MM10, although I think the MM10 arrangement tries to do a little too much I think and loses the catchiness of the original. But it would make sense not to mention those soundtracks since MM I-IV on the GB mostly had arrangements of songs from other games.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Torch Man's probably my favorite Robot Master from MM11. Though Tundra, Fuse, and Impact are also some of my favorites.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Oh, if we're going to talk underrated themes from the Game Boy games, this one is probably my favorite.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fASfO4fF3o0
You know, I have* that game (the only GB Mega Man games I had were Wily's Revenge and MMIV) but this one didn't make as much an impression as the one from MM-WR. A pretty good track though.

*Was planning on selling it, but I am holding out hope that I have the game box somewhere, because with the manual that boosts the sale price from a mere $40 to like $200 to $400... I was sure I had it somewhere. But maybe I confused it with my Mega Man 4 NES box...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Thinking back on MM5, I really like the Robot Master themes in it too. Napalm Man, Star Man, Charge Man and Gravity Man being the standouts for that game. So I'm glad Gravity Man and Napalm Man got remixes in Smash.

Last edited:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I think my favorite theme from Mega Man 5 is the credits theme, Napalm Mans stage has always been one of my favorites too.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah Mega Man 5 has a good credits theme. Though most Mega Man games have underrated credits themes, probably because the stage themes, title themes, boss tracks and stage selects has everyone's attention instead.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
lol mega man 3's "You got" theme is arguably one of the best on that soundtrack, and mm3 is my 2nd favorite soundtrack overall so that's high praise.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, MM3's whole OST is great. MM5's is another weapon get theme I like from the OG series.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since no one's posted in a minute, I think the Piano or Arranged Tracks for Mega Man 11 are now free DLC. Which is pretty nice.

I know it was likely too late, but it'd be sick if MM11 music made it in, it's not my favorite soundtrack, but I think some of the Piano and Arranged tracks would be nice. Namely Torch Man's Piano theme and Impact Man's Arranged track.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Mega Man 10's soundtrack and the game in general doesn't get enough love :(

Though on the http://megamanleaderboards.net/index.php like 7 people have a new mega man 10 RTA time over the last few weeks so that's cool to see it get revived.
Huh. That's pretty cool.

I'd be glad if we got more Mega Man 10 music. Between Solar Man, Nitro Man, Strike Man, Sheep Man and Abandoned Memory, there's some real killers in that soundtrack.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yeah mega man games get their own leaderboard because speedrun.com has some serious issues with rules sets. Not that the mega man boards don't, but it's not as bad.

Also Against the Pressure (wily 2) is my 3rd favorite song on 10, another highly underrated theme are all 3 of the shop songs, I believe Bass shop theme is the best of them. DLC stage themes are fire too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom