• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Guitar Solos?

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
Metal Meltdown (Judas Priest)
Bad Medicine (Bon Jovi)
Satch Boogie (Joe Satriani)
Saints of Los Angeles (Motley Crue)
Achilles Last Stand (Led Zeppelin)

Oh, and all of you picking Stairway REALLY need to listen to more Zep.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
People listing Stairway needs to listen to more music in general.

Yeah, Priest is totally among the rank of Motley Crue and Bon Jovi.

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
Metal Meltdown (Judas Priest)
Bad Medicine (Bon Jovi)
Satch Boogie (Joe Satriani)
Saints of Los Angeles (Motley Crue)
Achilles Last Stand (Led Zeppelin)

Oh, and all of you picking Stairway REALLY need to listen to more Zep.
i saw priest once, they were good, they closed the show after testament,motorhead, and heaven and hell, ever see them?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
why? i think that if someones good enough to make them, they should shred away.
(I'm about to piss off hemightbegiant here, along with other people that I care slightly less about)

I don't like solos either. For me, they usually don't add anything to a song. As much as I respect talented guitarists, I really don't admire the difficulty involved in playing whatever it is you're playing if you can't make me feel it.

The best way I can think to describe it is that the songs I like most give me a feeling. The instruments work together in a way that almost makes me forget they're all individually there. A guitar solo inherently separates an element of the song from the rest, making me hear individual notes instead of "the feeling."

Basically, I don't value playing ability at all. I just want a good melody.

If Slave is anything like me, that's probably his excuse too.

[/end rambling]

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
I looove me some Dragonforce, but I'm really not a huge Fire and the Flames fan. And no, their music is not sped up via studio, it's cleaned up but it's played at the proper speed. Yes they're rubbish live. No, I don't really care, they'll never come to Tasmania anyway, they're still fun to listen to.

So here's a list of 5 I like. There are so many brilliant guitar solos out there, I wouldn't know which are the absolute top 5, but here goes.

Cliffs of Dover, Eric Johnson. Apologies for the video, it seemed funny to me...

Air Tap, Eric Mongrain. Something a friend linked me to. Please watch it, it's beautiful.

Stevie's Spanking, Frank Zappa. Zappa is a pretentious git, and his solo is abysmal here, but I love Steve Vai's solo here as much as Steve likes a good spanking, apparently. Skip from 2:54 to 3:15. NSFW lyrics.

Lines in the Sand, Dream Theater.

Anything from G3: Live in Tokyo, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Steve Vai. Don't own this dvd? Remedy this.

edit: OLOLOL, surprise 6th solo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf1ujbKQ3oA

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
(I'm about to piss off hemightbegiant here, along with other people that I care slightly less about)

I don't like solos either. For me, they usually don't add anything to a song. As much as I respect talented guitarists, I really don't admire the difficulty involved in playing whatever it is you're playing if you can't make me feel it.

The best way I can think to describe it is that the songs I like most give me a feeling. The instruments work together in a way that almost makes me forget they're all individually there. A guitar solo inherently separates an element of the song from the rest, making me hear individual notes instead of "the feeling."

Basically, I don't value playing ability at all. I just want a good melody.

If Slave is anything like me, that's probably his excuse too.

[/end rambling]
Well, it's obvious SOMEONE has never heard Television's Marquee Moon. :rolleyes:

smashbot226

Smash Master
One (Metallica)- Awesome awesome AWESOME.

Amazing (Aerosmith)- I'm obviously going to get some WTF?!?'s here, so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4br4w9g5E (AWESOME SOLO. And I'm hard to impress,)

Sweet Child O Mine (Guns N Roses)- Yes, I might get some controversy with this one...

Virtually EVERY Led Zepplin song EVER- Yep. RIIIIIIIGHT here. What could be better?

Best Song Ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU

Haha. No seriously, best one is: Dance of Death (Iron Maiden) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9lvzGAnt4&feature=related

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know, I've glanced over this topic and I don't think I've seen any Hendrix. Come on, guys!

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
This is by far my favorite. In fact, just thinking about it makes me want to listen right now. It's unlike any solo I've ever heard. Legend has it the intricate slide work was played with a lighter.

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
I feel like I'm selling out for putting this, but the solo really does have a lot of power. Achilles Last Stand from these guys gets honorable mention, but it's not as strong in my opinion.

Sappy - Nirvana
A lesser known song with a melodic solo from Kurt Cobain. It's a shame that not many people have heard it because it shows his competency more than any mainstream hit. Grunge fans should also check out Serve the Servants for a good Cobain solo.

Sea of Sorrow - Alice in Chains
Good stuff. Jerry Cantrell is the bomb.

I can't really think of a last one. My iPod is broken or I could easily find one. Something from Jack White, maybe. Any Metallica song. I don't know. Lynyrd Skynyrd had a few good ones, but I don't dare suggest Freebird. Eh.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
I posted G3 live in tokyo playing Foxy Lady. That's about as much hendrix as I've heard though, sorry.

Top Bottom