• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 4 Characters that DESERVE a Buff. (Made as of 1.0.9)

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
To be short, there are several characters in Smash Brothers. 4 that got (for lack of a better term) screwed over. While we don't know what the game makers were thinking when designing these characters, they all need a buff in some way. For the sake of simplicity, I have personally decided to leave out Mii Swordfighter and Mii Gunner, whom I both think deserve buffs. Please feel free to politely discuss below who your top picks are, and why! To be fair, I did not post this list of my personal opinions completely, rather I also had the help of a friend on SmashBoards who plays at a higher level whom also agrees with me on these choices. Again, I encourage you to post below your list of characters, even if it's in no particular order.

Honorable Mentions:
Robin :4robinm:
Mii Gunner :4miigun:
Mii Swordfighter :4miisword:
Zelda :4zelda:

Number 4: Wii Fit TRAINER :4wiifit: :4wiifitm:
This character is usually just a joke character, only really being able to combo into Neutral air several times and finish with an up air or side B. What this character has going for him/her however, is stronger attacks that can actually KO. Also, deep breathing helps in getting damage up to get the KO, or just getting the KO in general. To top it off, Wii Fit Trainer has the lowest crouch in the game, helping him/her dodge many attacks. "You make them sound good, why do they need a buff?" Good question: I haven't played much WFT due to two main issues; some attacks have strange hitboxes that do whatever they please, as well as it seems that Nair combos is the only way to really rack up percent. To fix WFT, I would have a slight percent buff on many of their moves, as well as lower knockback on several moves in order to get some great setups.

Number 3: DUCK HUNT :4duckhunt:
I'm aware of high level DH players out there, but let's face it: this character suffers from something Marth and Lucina suffered from in the previous version; attacks don't pop into each other smoothly. Moves such as Duck Hunt's Fsmash would be a lot better... if they actually were able to hit instead of just knocking the opponent upward. This character would be a lot more lethal if a simple fix to their attacks would help smash attacks connect better, as this character has throw combos and a fairly good aerial game. This character already KO's at higher percents, but it's made much more difficult by the fact that one of their best kill options simply doesn't work sometimes.

Number 2: SAMUS :4samus:
These last two characters on the list I have A LOT more experience with than the previous two, but I'm 100% positive MANY of you will agree. Many of you already agree with this pick, Samus Aran. Where do I begin? As a person who mained Samus for a long time in Brawl, I feel as if she's gotten MUCH worse, and is borderline the WORST character in Smash 4 moveset wise. Jab's that can't even get the second hit without the opponent escaping, an F-smash tipper that's more sensitive, laggier, AND weaker than Marth's, as well the ability to be easily juggled and making it virtually impossible to shorthop aerial any medium or smaller character makes Samus my number 2 pick. Anything Samus can do, ANY other character can do better. Her Down smash is missing the power it was presented with in Brawl and Melee, Her Up Smash and Fsmash are both extremely specific and take ages to perform... there's no real way to kill besides the best read in the world. To top it off, her projectile game has been drastically nerfed due to a lack of missile canceling... the only thing going for her are "shorthop" Zairs and Dthrow to Uair combos. Samus, is slow, has one of the worse rolls, and it hurts me to say it, might be the worst character in Smash 4. To fix Samus, I would increase her jab speed so it would become inescapable, Remove the sourspot on her Fsmash, increase the strength of her "new and improved" Nair, and increase the knockback of her Dsmash. On the topic of her missiles, I would make them come out quicker, even if it means nerfing their damage.

Number 1: MEWTWO :4mewtwo:
Now, I said in terms of moveset, Samus is the worse character; and I believe that to be 100% true. If that's the case, then why would I put MewTwo as Number 1? Simply put, I believe his Fsmash and Dsmash need to be more powerful, but most importantly, HE NEEDS A WEIGHT BUFF. MewTwo's weight in Melee made it so he wouldn't die at very early percentages. In Smash 4, however, he is a large slow target that weighs almost nothing. A Pokemon that weighs 250 pounds in canon somehow becomes the weight of a balloon. MewTwo has no real problem getting damage, but one hit and he's flying off the stage. Speaking of off stage, MewTwo's recovery has a tendency to be wonky and not snap to the ledge, something that both him and Zelda need fixed. MewTwo is my number 1 pick because his weight, size, and slowness make him an incredibly easy target for every character. Simply put, if he was to be buffed, his weight would be what it was in early iterations of Smash.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Why a top 4...thats awkward..should be a top5.
And DK should be there.

@ Sakuraichu Sakuraichu to be honest DDD is really good.
He is probly the best heavyweight or 2nd.
Alot of characters really could hugely benefit from a few tweaks here and there.
But i think this list is for die hard need characters.

Which i think DK needs alot more than DDD.

DK needs a bowser or Ike treatment.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Okay Samus is not THAT terrible. Sure Her best thing was taken away (Missle Cancle) which she'll never recover from, and...but...yeah she bad.
I enjoy using her alot but really. WTF is that Jab? Its a fine poke that Jab one, but Jab two? What...what is that? It should really connect. Dsmash NEEDS ANYTHING. Its the worst move in the game i swear. Missles are okay, but the lag on normal homing missles needs to go. I wouldn't mind sour spot to be kept in on Fsmash... if the tipper did much more KB or was faster or the range made to go further or something! Usmash makes me want to vomit. i rather have another taunt.

I have no idea how i ever win with her, it always takes a read...and she is nowhere near a heavy hitter like Ganon. Thats ****ed Sakurai 'xD

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Really REALLY want Mewtwo to be more than a "meh" character.
He might not be one of the top5 characters that need the buffs, but still...

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I heavily advocated for Samus buffs pre 1.08, but after her minor buffs and some other stuff, I actually think she's in the okay range. I mean, she's by no means top tier and definitely could use some buffs, but the likes of WFT or Palutena I personally feel are more deserving of a buff at this point.

My personal list:

1. WFT
2. Palutena
3. DHD
4. Mewtwo
5. Zelda/DK/Ganon Some of these I'm iffy on so I'm putting them all in the same place. DK is probably the best of these, but Ganon is the most questionable for me, since I used to main Brawl Ganon and I haven't watched/played really any Ganon players who can convince me he's good. But then, I see how hard he hits and I'm like "Eeeeeeh".

The main problem with Samus isn't even her missiles per se. They could be a bit faster, yes, but preferably in travelling speed and not in how quickly they come out in succession. The only changes I think she's really need would be allowing Super missiles to kill at about 160, Dsmash to be stronger on both hits (her second hit is actually pretty good, it's just landing it... still not enough though), dash attack's hitbox to come out a little faster, nair to come out a bit faster, and allowing jab to work similarly to Marth's/Lucina's reworked jabs. Give her that and she's great. Honestly, the upsmash buff was such a blessing. It's so good now, just kinda situational and I wish it picked opponents off the ground a little better.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong needs no buff really. He's the best heavyweight by far. I mean, he could do with a small buff but he's a lot better than Bowser, King Dedede and Ganon.

Yall need to git gud if you think dedede is even remotely bad.

and a reminder customs exist for Palutena and DK (even if DK isnt really that bad anyway)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Yall need to git gud if you think dedede is even remotely bad.

and a reminder customs exist for Palutena and DK (even if DK isnt really that bad anyway)
Don't tell 'em, we need to trick 'em into thinking Dedede is bad, so we can get our buffs!

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Wii Fit Trainer isn't that bad lol, but she hasn't received a single buff since the beginning of the game, which is ridiculous.

1.) :4drmario: Everyone forgot about Dr. Mario. He really, really needs a buff.
2.) :4miisword: Mii Swordfighter needs some kill moves and better combos.
3.):4miigun: Mii Gunner has some good things going for her, but she just needs some better moves.
4.):4duckhunt: Just needs faster moves, and better combos.
5.):4wiifit: Her attacks need to more damage. Simple as that.

Honorable Mention:
:4marth::4lucina: - They aren't terrible, but compared to the Marth of the the past they are extremely lacking.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm not joking. He's really not that bad. Have you seen him in some tournaments?

Will and Average Joe show how good the character can be.
All the heavyweights are still slacking and DK is the worse heavy thats my point dude.
And yes i have seen DKWill and average Joe.
They are very good

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I feel the ones who need it the most are Mewtwo, Zelda, Samus, Gunner, Swordfighter, and WFT.

I miss good Marth so he should be buffed as well.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
All the heavyweights are still slacking and DK is the worse heavy thats my point dude.
And yes i have seen DKWill and average Joe.
They are very good
He has great aerials, good throws, decent combos and setups as well. His main problem is landing because he such a large size.
And DKWill and Average Joe represent him very well. Not a lot of other heavy characters are represented as well as DK, except maybe Ganon.

Ikiimoni

Smash Rookie
I agree with Mewtwo on the list. He's not a bad character, by any means, but if I'm paying money for a character, it better be a good character. I'm not gonna spend $5 on Palutena if she was released as DLC separate from the game, knowing she was bottom tier.

:4dedede:Dedede has too many extra frames that leave him open. Attack wise, he's pretty great, but he has a massive delay that keeps him stuck at low tiers.
:4charizard:Needs to have his down special buffed until it's useful, not to mention, if his side special was rebalanced he might be a bit better.
:4lucario:Too much delay for too weak of any attacks. His smashes have stupid awful hitboxes, his side special barely functions, and he only deals a reasonable amount of damage once he's practically dead.
:4greninja:Greninja needs to have a minimal amount of delay, and combo a lot faster. If he's not going to hit hard, he needs to hit faster.
:4lucina:Give her something that makes her at least equal to Marth. Marth has ONE thing over Lucina with his "tipper", so she needs just a little bit of something.
:4peach:Peach can't air dodge while hovering, and can't grab ledges with her recovery active. Come on.
:4metaknight:His specials shouldn't leave him vulnerable. All four of his specials put him in recovery mode, which is absurd. If only his recovery did that, he'd leap up a few tiers easily.
:4robinm:Not enough power to justify the limited attacks. Also, Elwind should meteor.
:4wiifit:Everything about this character is flawed. From specials to smashes, it's such an issue that I think Wii Fit needs a complete moveset overhaul.
:4samus:Useless down special, frequently open to getting attacked, fails to juggle more often than not, slow side specials.
:4zelda:Side special should be a kill move with a larger hitbox, down special should charge up faster.
:4duckhunt:Projectiles should do about 1% more, not to mention move faster, fix smash attacks to have better hitboxes, as well as kill much earlier without charging as much.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I agree with Mewtwo on the list. He's not a bad character, by any means, but if I'm paying money for a character, it better be a good character. I'm not gonna spend $5 on Palutena if she was released as DLC separate from the game, knowing she was bottom tier.

:4dedede:Dedede has too many extra frames that leave him open. Attack wise, he's pretty great, but he has a massive delay that keeps him stuck at low tiers.
:4charizard:Needs to have his down special buffed until it's useful, not to mention, if his side special was rebalanced he might be a bit better.
:4lucario:Too much delay for too weak of any attacks. His smashes have stupid awful hitboxes, his side special barely functions, and he only deals a reasonable amount of damage once he's practically dead.
:4greninja:Greninja needs to have a minimal amount of delay, and combo a lot faster. If he's not going to hit hard, he needs to hit faster.
:4lucina:Give her something that makes her at least equal to Marth. Marth has ONE thing over Lucina with his "tipper", so she needs just a little bit of something.
:4peach:Peach can't air dodge while hovering, and can't grab ledges with her recovery active. Come on.
:4metaknight:His specials shouldn't leave him vulnerable. All four of his specials put him in recovery mode, which is absurd. If only his recovery did that, he'd leap up a few tiers easily.
:4robinm:Not enough power to justify the limited attacks. Also, Elwind should meteor.
:4wiifit:Everything about this character is flawed. From specials to smashes, it's such an issue that I think Wii Fit needs a complete moveset overhaul.
:4samus:Useless down special, frequently open to getting attacked, fails to juggle more often than not, slow side specials.
:4zelda:Side special should be a kill move with a larger hitbox, down special should charge up faster.
:4duckhunt:Projectiles should do about 1% more, not to mention move faster, fix smash attacks to have better hitboxes, as well as kill much earlier without charging as much.
I agree with everything except ElWind does meteor on the first ElWind shot if you aim it right(?). But i think you mean like have it guaranteed? If so, yes definitely. And with Peach you just need to be facing the ledge to snap to it. Can't recovery backwards.
But damn it'd be cool to see Lucina buffed to be faster, not in movement speed per say, but her Attack speed and i guess lower her dmg output. That would differentiate her a ton and make her much better and different. As for Samus Her down special is fine actually, but it'd be super applicable if you can cancel the endlag with any move or jump. Or make bombs safe on sheild.

F

FennerGuy1992

my personal top 4:

4) :4metaknight: - seriously...Meta Knight needs to be much stronger than what he is now lol. His forward A and down-A should be increased by 2-4%, his up-B should be a recovery like his forward-B lol

3) :4drmario: - I really miss using this guy on Melee and I wish they would buff his up-B, his down-B and most of all...his fastfall. He should be like the Dr. Mario on Melee! Polishing up on him a bit

2) :4jigglypuff: - like Doc, Jigglypuff needs to be upgraded Melee-style...Jiggs need a better chaingrab and a slightly better combo on her up-A

1) :4peach:- Her up-B...she needs to be a little higher. The turnips needs to be increased by at least a percent. Her Toad is fine lol. Her jabs should be a little stronger lol. She doesn't need to be as strong as Diddy Kong...but atleast be more defensive.

Several honorable mentions: :4bowser:**:4darkpit::4zelda::4megaman: :4yoshi:* :4dk:*
*- just his forward-B
**- just his up-B

Last edited by a moderator:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
*sitting over here with his amazing :4charizard: buffs.*

*uthrow now a killthrow, dthrow now a combo throw, fixed jab, better fair hitbox, etc.*

Though I'm always up for more Zard buffs! How about a couple extra jumps hm? He is a flying type afterall! Ooo! And some better air speed while we're at it!

Morbi

Scavenger
:4falco: Falco. He just cannot compete with the other space animal. The duality between those two characters was always so interesting to me, and now, well, now you should just use Fox if you want to use a space animal. He still deserves a buff because those first "buffs" were more like a slight rework that did nothing to address why Falco is basically unusable in competitive play unless your opponent is incompetent.

:4diddy: Diddy Kong. They over-nerfed him, plain and simple. This is why most FGC developers are hesitant to nerf a character beyond anything that is blatantly broken. I do not care if Zero just won Apex with him. That just proves what we already knew, Zero is the best Smash 4 player.

:4samus: Samus. Sakurai, your balancing team failed. Fix her jab at the very least.

:4zelda: Zelda. Sakurai, pls. Just once, just once let me see a viable Zelda. I cannot fathom what that entails because it is beyond my comprehension.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I give 0 ****s about anybody else, just buff Dr. Mario and Jigglypuff.
For Dr. Mario, I think increasing his run speed, SJP's height, and Doc Tornado's speed would do. And remove the sweetspot on Doc Punch and restore his down air back to how it was when the game came out.
As for Jigglypuff, just change her back to how she was in Melee.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
:4charizard: - Needs higher air speed and less landing lag on aerial moves, because as it is you get bodied hard by characters like :4zss:, :4sonic: and :4sheik: for even whiffing one aerial. Longer hitstun on Flamethrower would be nice, and a buff to his Side-B's would be perfect. <3

:4ganondorf: - Needs more priority on some of his attacks (like Neutral B) and a slight speed buff. Like Zard, he gets absolutely bodied by :4sheik:,:4sonic: and :4zss: for whiffing moves, and he doesn't even have 'Zard's decent recovery options.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I love giving my three cents in other people's debates, so here'e mine.
#4: :4samus:: She can be played so much better, but her neutrals are so lacking. All she has going for her is spacing with her neutral+B and side+B. Nintendo could have made Samus a lot better, and she needs it.
#3: :4zelda:: I am a Zelda main myself, and her atrocious lack of kill moves makes me question her viability. While she is a great spacer, able to keep most of the roster at a distance from her, she utterly falters against fast characters, most notably Sonic, Fox, and Greninja. Zelda could be so much better in my opinion.
#2: :4falco:Falco: I am a seasoned Falco main, dating back to my days in Brawl, and when I started Smash 4 Falco, needless to say, I was slightly dissapointed, but it was only until I watched some tournament footage of Falco from Melle that I literally cried at how pitiful my second main had become. Falco is one of, if not the, most nerfed character across the franchise, as they removed everything that made Falco good, like chaingrabbing, laser canceling, shining, and more. Falco desperately needs a buff if he's to become half the threat he was in Brawl, or a third what he was in Melee.
#1: :4littlemac:: Yes, Little Mac. Ever since patch 1.0.1, Mac mains have been the laughing stock of Smash 4, and with good reason. His awful ineptitude for recovery, I have consistently got a Mac to where he can't recover when he was at 40% playing as Lucario with almost no Aura, and that's sad. Mac has so much potential to be somewhere close to where he once was, if they would just improve his recovery a little. Little Mac has been so nerfed that everyone laughs at the dedicated group of Mac mains, and in my opinion, that needs to stop.

Honorable Mentions: :4charizard:, :4dedede:, :4palutena:,:4wario:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Honestly, I love giving my three cents in other people's debates, so here'e mine.
#4: :4samus:: She can be played so much better, but her neutrals are so lacking. All she has going for her is spacing with her neutral+B and side+B. Nintendo could have made Samus a lot better, and she needs it.
#3: :4zelda:: I am a Zelda main myself, and her atrocious lack of kill moves makes me question her viability. While she is a great spacer, able to keep most of the roster at a distance from her, she utterly falters against fast characters, most notably Sonic, Fox, and Greninja. Zelda could be so much better in my opinion.
#2: :4falco:Falco: I am a seasoned Falco main, dating back to my days in Brawl, and when I started Smash 4 Falco, needless to say, I was slightly dissapointed, but it was only until I watched some tournament footage of Falco from Melle that I literally cried at how pitiful my second main had become. Falco is one of, if not the, most nerfed character across the franchise, as they removed everything that made Falco good, like chaingrabbing, laser canceling, shining, and more. Falco desperately needs a buff if he's to become half the threat he was in Brawl, or a third what he was in Melee.
#1: :4littlemac:: Yes, Little Mac. Ever since patch 1.0.1, Mac mains have been the laughing stock of Smash 4, and with good reason. His awful ineptitude for recovery, I have consistently got a Mac to where he can't recover when he was at 40% playing as Lucario with almost no Aura, and that's sad. Mac has so much potential to be somewhere close to where he once was, if they would just improve his recovery a little. Little Mac has been so nerfed that everyone laughs at the dedicated group of Mac mains, and in my opinion, that needs to stop.

Honorable Mentions: :4charizard:, :4dedede:, :4palutena:,:4wario:
Actually, the only nerf Little Mac got was a slight decrease in Jolt Haymaker's distance, other than that he's been buffed or untouched in every other patch. And besides, laughing at Mac is the one thing that keeps the community together.
As for Falco, he's going to seem bad if you compare him to Brawl Falco, of course, because he's a completely different character. I think Falco is viable, and so far, they've been buffing him patch by patch.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the only nerf Little Mac got was a slight decrease in Jolt Haymaker's distance, other than that he's been buffed or untouched in every other patch. And besides, laughing at Mac is the one thing that keeps the community together.
As for Falco, he's going to seem bad if you compare him to Brawl Falco, of course, because he's a completely different character. I think Falco is viable, and so far, they've been buffing him patch by patch.
Good point, and as for Mac, they also substantially nerfed how far his Up+B travels in the air in patch 1.0.1. And I also need to stop comparing 4 Falco to Melee Falco, it's a bad habit of mine...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Good point, and as for Mac, they also substantially nerfed how far his Up+B travels in the air in patch 1.0.1. And I also need to stop comparing 4 Falco to Melee Falco, it's a bad habit of mine...
Mac didn't receive any nerfs or buffs until 1.0.4. His Rising Uppercut now is the same as it's been.

Furret24

Smash Master
:4charizard:- Why does Flare Blitz do 10% self-damage when hitting an opponent? It's not Eruption or anything like that. Also, Rock Smash.
:4dedede:- Unnecessarily large amounts of lag on his moves makes it where you get punished hard for even whiffing one attack, leading to horrible match-ups against the likes of :4sonic: and :4sheik:.
:4diddy:- Did U-Air really need to be nerfed in 1.0.8? It's not like other characters don't have kill throw combos (:4luigi: has D-Throw -> D-Special). For some, you don't even need to follow up said throw (cough, cough, :4ness:, cough).
:4drmario: and :4jigglypuff:- Make them like how they were in Melee.
:4duckhunt:- Why does F-Smash whiff 50% of the time?
:4falco:- The 1.0.8 buffs were a step in the right direction, but he's still got a long way to go.
:4gaw:- Just a overall damage buff to this character would put the "Cannon" back into "Glass Cannon". Every single other light-weight character is either fast (:4fox:, :4pikachu:, :4metaknight:, :4jigglypuff: in the air), powerful (:4littlemac:and :4mewtwo:), or somthing that makes up for the vulnerability to being KO'd (:rosalina: has Luma and stupid priority and :4kirby: has among the best recovery in the game).
:4samus:, :4wiifit:, and :4zelda:- Do I even need to say anything about these characters?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Diddy should not be buffed again, like I see people are saying (that's what I think, at least). Even with his nerfs, he's still hella good. Can't remember which stage, but a FG Diddy KO'd my Ganondorf around 100% by a U-throw --> Uair.

DK got buffed in the recent patch, which is great.

Ganondorf is one I feel should be buffed. While he's a monster when read correctly, he is too much of a punching bag against Sheik and others. Give him a slight speed boost and a grab range buff.

Give Wario his Brawl U-air knockback.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Wii Fit Trainer isn't that bad lol, but she hasn't received a single buff since the beginning of the game, which is ridiculous.

5.):4wiifit: Her attacks need to more damage. Simple as that.
Speaking as a WFT mainer, she needs a heck of a lot more than a damage buff. Her hitboxes are far too small on almost all her attacks, like fsmash and dair. On top of that, the hitboxes feel way off, and she has too much ending lag on most of her moves.

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
Speaking as a WFT mainer, she needs a heck of a lot more than a damage buff. Her hitboxes are far too small on almost all her attacks, like fsmash and dair. On top of that, the hitboxes feel way off, and she has too much ending lag on most of her moves.
I also use Wii Fit, and I don't really mind the hitbox problem, except for her U-Tilt,F-Smash and U-Smash. The F-Smash doesn't hit small characters, and U-Smash's range is just stupidly small. As for the moves with bizarre hitboxes, I don't mind. You just have to accustom to them.

And I suppose some of her moves could have reduced endlag. D-Smash and U-Smash maybe. Although her aerials and tilts are pretty fast already. I think better priority would be good.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
As a Zelda main, the only thing I really want is 1) not as much end lag on some moves

2) sour spots not be so bad.

I was in a sudden death and sour spotted dins fire..... He barely moved , like wtf lol

Top Bottom