• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 10 best Marth mains to watch play?

Nate$

Smash Satan
NNID
TheKisameH
Who do you guys think are the best Marth Mains to watch play to learn more? I really love watching I.B, M2K, PPMD, Cactuar, and Azen (Even though his style is super out dated) What do you guys think?

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
These are my favorite from first to last.
1.M2K
2.PPMD
3.PPU
4.Ken
5.The Moon
6.Arc
7.KDJ

Gomer

Smash Rookie
Personally, my favorite to watch is PPMD. Along with his combos, his movement with Marth is so fluid.
List Wise.
1.PPMD
2.PPU
3.M2K
4.KDJ
5.Ken
6.I.B
7.Azen
8.The Moon

Last edited:

strawhats

Smash Master
1. M2K (when he's playing on point...so beautiful to watch)
2. PPMD (same as above ^)
3. PPU
4. Arc
5. Moon (the homie)
6. Ken
7. Taj
8. Salepate
9. I.B.
10. Azen

P.S. I miss that cactus green marth (Cactuar)

I still consider KDJ to be a sheik main, but that might be just me. No offense to his marth though, just love his sheik, which elevated him to legend status... It's kinda the opposite of how I feel about m2k's sheik (no offense to it, but his marth is what made him so feared all those years back).

Last edited:

Darth_Nova32

Smash Rookie
1. Ken
2. M2K
3. PPMD
4. Moon (gooo white Marth!)
5. PPU
6. Taj
6.5 M2K
7. KDJ
8. Azen
9. I.B.
10. M2K

Last edited:

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I just realized Arc lives fairly close to me... Now if I can just show up to the same tournaments as him

Last edited:

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Haha, yes as in Round Rock Doughnuts. YOU CAN GET THEM AS BIG AS YOUR FACE!

AirFair

Marth tho
I live in Hutto and play at Apollo Games in Round Rock all the time. Get at me man! :D
Don't pass this up. You are a very lucky person.

Also the main Marths that I watch by amount
PPMD >>>>>> PPU >> The Moon

and Arc too. He's hella fresh

Last edited:

thf24

Smash Cadet
Most of these replies seem to be from an "entertaining to watch" standpoint, and I also enjoy watching all of the players named. However, as far as those to watch and learn from, I'd keep it to:

1. PPMD
2. Pew Pew U
3. M2K (with a grain of salt; his punish game is the gold standard, but his neutral is fairly lacking)

I wouldn't include Ken because even though he has made efforts to update his game since Melee's resurgence, it's still visibly outdated. He gets what results he does at this point due to top level reads and understanding of the base game. I'm also hesitant to include The Moon due to being so aggro; it works for him, but I don't think it's a good base for low- to mid-level players to build on.

There are of course many other great Marth players, but in my opinion, you're going to learn the most from time invested by sticking to the three I listed above.

EnIgma24

Smash Cadet
I'd say Ppmd (those dash dances...), ken for side bs usage, m2k for punish game, ppu for shield stop, arc to see pivot potential, reaper and salepate have an unorthodox style so you can learn some tricks, the moon is definitely untertaining to watch then you have taj, also mang0's marth is a thing.

johndavis33

Smash Rookie
In terms of learning the most? I'd say
1. M2K
2. PPU
3. Zoso
4. Borp's pocket marth
5. PPMD
6. The Moon
7. Swiftbass
8. Taj
9. Tai
10. Ken

M2K's marth is pretty much a giant bag of neat tricks. Lots of little things you can take away easily. You can't actually model you're entire game on neat tricks unless you're M2K, but in terms of "implementable things/minute", M2K is probably the best. M2K is probably, overall, the most copied played, and it's for a reason. PPU has a lot of that in his punish and combo game as well.

I put Zoso and Borp higher than PPMD for a number of reasons. PPMD's biggest strength is his spacing in neutral, but what a lot of people don't seem to notice/mention is that his neutral game is largely not really repeatable for most players. When he does his dash dance, there's a lot of small, subtle reads he makes about how the other player is going to move, and those are things you can't really learn by watching. How to read another player in neutral is probably the hardest thing to learn by watching. It's just something you've got to DO for yourself a crapton to understand. A good analogy would be to say that PP's dash dance into d tilt is basically a much, much safer version of Azen's neutral f smash.

Yes, Azen makes random forward smashes in neutral work.

No, you probably cannot make random forward smashes in neutral work.

Zoso, by contrast, is probably the best player to watch if you're looking to realistically "model" your game after someone. He's probably the best marth that relies as purely on fundamentals as he does. It's just decision making, basic movement tech, spacing, some basic combos, and then decision making some more.

Borp is a similar, if extreme, story. There's not much footage of his marth out there, but what is there is pretty much what you'd expect. Pure spacing, timing, and decision making. A few hard reads, but nothing insane like Ken. Only issue is there's lots of times where he'll pick a not safe option that he wouldn't have had to if he used tech skill.

The Moon's earlier marth stuff was probably a lot more helpful to watch. Lots of baits, combined with stellar movement. Now he does a lot more reads and pure callouts in neutral that are just harder to learn from.

Swiftbass, Taj, and Tai are all also mostly fundamentals based, but don't have the same spacing and decision making that Zoso and Borp have to make them as educational to watch. Ken's marth is good to pick up on a few weird things Ken knows, but it's mostly a style that can't really be replicated.

Top Bottom