• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Grab Reward

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
As much as I love the character, there's hardly any reliable follow-ups for Tink after a throw.

I think at low percents you can do D-Throw into SH B-Air but it's not a true combo from what I believe. The only good thing about Tink is he can use a tether grab and has a kill throw but that's pretty much it.

U-throw can send opponents high in the air when at high percents in which you can use your stage advantage to read the opponent and get a U-Smash or try for an U-Air. D-Throw is similar in my opinion to U-Throw in which your opponent is in the air but he's much closer to you in which you can attempt to read him again but is pretty hard for Tink as they could simply jump out of it.

F-Throw is basically a move to create space with your opponent. They get out of it easily in mid percents before they hit the ground and the move doesn't offer much of anything else.

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
Actually, U-Throw -> Uair is very useful. 95% of the time its not a true combo, but if they don't jump, you can read the air dodge. I'm doing that vs top players in my region (Ally for exemple) and it works well!

But don't do it too often.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone tried using my bomb and D-throw techniques? Seriously, it's really effective, and it makes me okay with not having traditional throw combo's (And I play characters with traditional throw combo's, I understand the benefit, but these are satisfying and damaging all the same)

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
Throw a bomb high up into the sky
Set your enemy up for a grab. Once you have the grab, pummel until the right time to throw your enemy into the falling bomb. Does a decent 20%.
So if the enemy is under the bomb, Up throw. if the enemy is on the left or right, forward throw or back throw ."DO NOTE THAT FORWARD THROW HAS A DIFFERENT KNOCKBACK RATIO THAN BACK THROW"

This can also work with uptilts, setup the bomb. Do an uptilt and they should be caught in the falling bomb.
All moves can do this but I find grabs the easiest and most effective way of doing it.
Cheers.
#Genius

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Throw a bomb high up into the sky
Set your enemy up for a grab. Once you have the grab, pummel until the right time to throw your enemy into the falling bomb. Does a decent 20%.
So if the enemy is under the bomb, Up throw. if the enemy is on the left or right, forward throw or back throw ."DO NOTE THAT FORWARD THROW HAS A DIFFERENT KNOCKBACK RATIO THAN BACK THROW"

This can also work with uptilts, setup the bomb. Do an uptilt and they should be caught in the falling bomb.
All moves can do this but I find grabs the easiest and most effective way of doing it.
Cheers.
#Genius
See a bomb thrown high up into the sky.
Catch it.
#Genius

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
What if they're stuck in your grab?
#Genius.
They can and should try to jump and catch the bomb on reaction, since a bomb throw is what you should be baiting from a Tink at midrange when you see them with a bomb because they can't grab and have to throw it eventually. Jump > Tink's startup grab frames.
#Genius

(Honestly though that's mostly competitive theory I've been trying to look into lately and counterplay I've ran into with training buddies, so this will still work on scrubs.)

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
They can and should try to jump and catch the bomb on reaction, since a bomb throw is what you should be baiting from a Tink at midrange when you see them with a bomb because they can't grab and have to throw it eventually. Jump > Tink's startup grab frames.
#Genius

(Honestly though that's mostly competitive theory I've been trying to look into lately and counterplay I've ran into with training buddies, so this will still work on scrubs.)
I never said it's a true combo. it's GONNA work, It's IF you have them in position. Competitively, it would work rarely, but rare doesn't mean it won't. I'm just throwing a tip out, I don't know why your arguing with me about it.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I never said it's a true combo. it's GONNA work, It's IF you have them in position. Competitively, it would work rarely, but rare doesn't mean it won't. I'm just throwing a tip out, I don't know why your arguing with me about it.
I never said it wouldn't work? I'm just pointing out the impracticality of it. There's no hostility in doing so, honest. It's just what I would do if I were playing against Toon Link, so I like to apply that to my gameplay when playing as Tink so I can improve with the character, therefore something more safe and consistent was what I was looking for in this thread. Thanks for the tip though.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Up-Throw to bomb is a known good combo, since without pummel's it does 11%. What's even better is if you can get Up-Throw to bomb to Up-air for instance, but that's extremely rare and usually ends up in you bombing yourself, since your opponent seems to go above the bomb after you throw them.

This is why I suggest the D-throw technique moreso. You have both options more readily available, and it's easier to get a followup after the bomb.

The most reliable setup I found was to do a JCBT up while moving forward, then grab your opponent. Use judgement with your opponents percent and your rage and stuff, pummel as you want, then D-throw to catch the most angles your opponent can DI. If it goes to plan, your opponent will be hit by the bomb and you can follow-up again.

At higher percents, it becomes increasingly more difficult to land the D-throw, so there's no harm in having the bomb hit your opponent while you're tackling them on the ground either. If the bomb hits that's 11% without pummel and 15% if the explosion hits.

Here's a video where I managed to do it against an opponent in tourney. Granted, my opponent wasn't great, and I missed, but it's still a true example: https://youtu.be/wV2Pqrcm6bQ?t=2m26s

Phobos_

Smash Rookie
Something I noticed watching Hyuga play:

Down-throw is useful in circumstances where you jct a bomb straight at opponent at close range, they shield, and the bomb bounces off the shield and onto the ground in front of you. If you follow up the jct with a quick grab, and time it correctly (like, wait a split second), you can down-throw and - because of the longer throwing animation - remain immune to the bomb explosion (unlike the grabee).

Not much in terms of reward, but another use for down-throw, and a nice way to repurpose shielded bombs and punish shields.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Something I noticed watching Hyuga play:

Down-throw is useful in circumstances where you jct a bomb straight at opponent at close range, they shield, and the bomb bounces off the shield and onto the ground in front of you. If you follow up the jct with a quick grab, and time it correctly (like, wait a split second), you can down-throw and - because of the longer throwing animation - remain immune to the bomb explosion (unlike the grabee).

Not much in terms of reward, but another use for down-throw, and a nice way to repurpose shielded bombs and punish shields.
Now that I think about it, this could be really useful if you've already been recatching shielded bombs with aerials as a mixup. I'ma try it.

Phobos_

Smash Rookie
One more thing concerning down-throw, that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere:

If you're right at the edge of the stage, and down-throw the opponent away from the stage, the launch angle is noticeably steeper than a regular down-throw, and so it puts less horizontal distance between Tink and the opponent. Still no guaranteed follow-ups (at least that I've discovered), but it can lead more easily into aerials (back-air most obviously), and even an aerial up-b at mid/high-mid percents.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
One more thing concerning down-throw, that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere:

If you're right at the edge of the stage, and down-throw the opponent away from the stage, the launch angle is noticeably steeper than a regular down-throw, and so it puts less horizontal distance between Tink and the opponent.
No....
That's called DI. I'm assuming you're in training mode against a cpu set to 'stop'. Set them to 'control' instead.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Toon link had many mix ups from grabs guys. Not so much true combos obviously.

D throw > bair
U throw > uair
F throw > pivot grab

My favorites:
D throw > full hop (bait the jump) > bair
U throw > bait the air dodge > fair

At select percents of course, go figure it out but here are the mix ups.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Toon link had many mix ups from grabs guys. Not so much true combos obviously.

D throw > bair
U throw > uair
F throw > pivot grab

My favorites:
D throw > full hop (bait the jump) > bair
U throw > bait the air dodge > fair

At select percents of course, go figure it out but here are the mix ups.
Does the pivot grab true combo, or is more mix-up? I can't see it working well unless your opponent is knocked in a way where they must land and suffer normal landing lag and instinctively shield (Which I guess is the point). Also since the regrab window is tight since you can't grab soon after you've grabbed your opponent already.

I know F-throw to Dash Attack is somewhat popular, and it kinda works depending on percent and weight as per usual. I would test but 3DS is broken so...

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Does the pivot grab true combo, or is more mix-up? I can't see it working well unless your opponent is knocked in a way where they must land and suffer normal landing lag and instinctively shield (Which I guess is the point). Also since the regrab window is tight since you can't grab soon after you've grabbed your opponent already.

I know F-throw to Dash Attack is somewhat popular, and it kinda works depending on percent and weight as per usual. I would test but 3DS is broken so...
Its a mix up mainly. At percents where dash attack off f-throw works, the pivot grab should be very possible since you're basically running past them, baiting the shield.

Top Bottom