• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Watch game one alzi, I cant really say much since it was friendlies, but you didnt play the match up correctly. Against a good DDD, you definately cant be that aggressive.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
A set from a WiFi tournament, and one offline match I got with a friend. Lol, parent johns vs offline tourneys, guess who wins, all the time :(

Critiques, please.

Online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf7z9VC4XAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50oKUHe7sS4 (Don't even ask about those idiotic SD's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8PjUBxMTE

Offline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnZlwZ1K6Ik Winners Final of a little Smash Fest just between my friends and I. This was the last match, hence I did not record the other two because I did not use TL. LOL, the last stock pissed me off so bad that when I met up with Quasi again later during the event, I didn't even use TL : /

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Winner's finals game 4: Me vs. Fatal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1yO5rRMkS4

So I finally got around to uploading it and I do so without sound somehow. I'll need to fix that soon.
And the other vids I saved from this are giving me some troubles too.

I've watched this four or five times already, so I know most of the mistakes I made. Still, I'd like to hear your thoughts

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
A few people were. Fatal and I didn't have any though since I was still hungover and he had to drive himself back to boston early. I imagine if it hadn't been right after new year's people would've been drinking more

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
So did you beat fatal in the set?
Nah. He took games 1,2, and 5. I have 3 of the matches saved, but my dazzle **** broke during this one (hence the lack of audio and choppy video at points), so I'll have to get those up later.

But yeah, I suck vs mk. I don't know how to play that MU, so I can do well vs his snake but his mk will beat me

Alzi

Smash Master
Watch game one alzi, I cant really say much since it was friendlies, but you didnt play the match up correctly. Against a good DDD, you definately cant be that aggressive.
I realised that too in all 3 of the video's. I just lost out of losers brackets and i told Jupz i am just going to rage it out in these matches. :laugh:

But yeah i got a tournament coming up this Sunday so if i do vs a D3 again i will take your advice.

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
1st match:You really like those SMS arrows don't you? Your flashy playstyle is certainly flashy, but there were some moments in which you arrow canceled right in front of Diddy. Try not to do that.

Last match: Don't ever approach a DDD that much. That is all. :D

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
:) yeah, THATS one of my bad habits. ac'ing in front of people. that's how i get sheild grabbed alot. and Cbeef is my irl friend. His D3, he made my camping seem so inferior, like i thought it wasn't working.
he plays OoS alot. i guess he baited me to approach then got me. :) i so need help on the D3 matchup. i got him for D3 training tho. :) Thanx for the critique more would be nice too.

MJG

Smash Hero
^Basically what he said. You know your stuff, but sometimes it just seemed like you were throwing projectiles out there.

Then again it was friendlies, so, I don't know how you would play in a tournament

EDIT: "He" as in Twink/Flan. You posted before I did

MJG

Smash Hero
The Ike player seemed to get the most damage on you when you were out near or on the ledge. Try to avoid staying in one spot. Ike's CQC game is prettyyyyyy goood and ours can't really compete with it.

Dalub

Smash Apprentice

Last edited:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
More full hops, space better, and mix up your approach a little more. You kept doing bomb to zair.

MJG

Smash Hero
Other than a few arrow cancels mishaps, only thing I saw was that you didn't punish his tornados often as I thought you could have (outside of the up smash)..he seemed to use it frequently after using about 3 or 4 jumps....Its not something you would really notice in a set though. I don't feel right critiquing a better toonlink than myself >_>

*Is still viewing the videos*

0:34-0:46 is combo vid material XD

EDIT: Your mistake on your second stock in the second video was going onto the left side of the rock formation

Hyro

Smash Lord
I play weird as **** so if you want, just pick and choose advice lol

First, I don't use the reverse hitbox of bair on MK, just don't feel safe to me.

I grab a lot more, lotta zair to grab, you started doing that match 2.

Projectiles are laggy and aren't always safe, I wouldn't use them when MK's in zair range.

When MK's are jumping and dairing just kinda wait for them to hit the ground. They're waiting for the projectile so they can come nado you. Just don't get nado'ed. Wait for it, tilt your shield up so it don't poke.

Turn around with a bomb when recovering.

And you were destroying dphat's shield. Run up and charge a usmash when it's that low. They spotdodge and die.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Am I the only one who noticed that one Dair made MK slide across half the stage?

Alzi

Smash Master
That Dair was awesome. lol.

I would of invinicbombed a view times while coming down would of helped you not to get hit by some of the Up b's he landed on you while you threw the bomb down.

Just the tilting of the shield up i didn't see as Hyro mentioned aswell.

But good job on not getting down smashed heaps.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Ok, so I got from this so far.

Dont throw items when in zair range. Shield the nado better. Hit them with charged attacks when their shield is that low.

I personally dont think you should rely on the turn around using a bomb trick much on MK. I think you should keep your bomb just incase things go wrong.

Oh and the arrow cancel mistakes are dew to trying to master the jerk. But Im starting to think its not worth it

Hyro

Smash Lord
Well that's just my opinion.

As for the turn around thing, I would at least do it once in a while. It's a really good mixup. Especially if you save your double jump, you can dj into them and then bair.

Why am I on this site...I'm suppose to be making a cheat sheet for my midterm lol

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Wow...I really thought Jerm had that...both matches lol

I know, I know, practicality and all...but I am SERIOUS. Invincibomb is sooooo good in this matchup. But really, don't get gimped? lol

Sexy as always.

Alzi

Smash Master
If it's what TheJerm said then it's really easy to spot dodge the grab before you land it.

Top Bottom