• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link In background

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggronianmaster1

Smash Cadet
Hello Smash Boards this is my first post on the forums

today i will be talking about the toon link in the background of the spirit tracks map on the 3DS version

A lot of people were mad because they said that there would be 2 toon links on the same map and they think toon link is a bad addition to SSB4. Well they are COMPLETELY incorrect.

First of all think about it since the first Super Smash Bros we were able to have 4 of the same character on any map. All of a sudden you can have 5 and its the end of the world.

The main reason is: Its not even the same link and i have proof of that

The series goes as follows: Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and finally Spirit Tracks
The link we get to play as is the Wind Waker one, and the link in the background is the Spirit Tracks one. Now you might be thinking: Well they are the same person still. Your wrong! Here is the link

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Linebeck

If you read the first 3 paragraphs you can see that Linebeck is the one in Phantom Hourglass who we all know and link was there with him

In the Third paragraph it says that Linebeck III was the one seen in Spirit Tracks.

Linebeck-----> Linebeck III

This means 3 generations have passed showing that this is 3 generations from Phantom Hourglass. Does this mean that Link from PhantomHourglass is Link from Spirit Tracks Grandfather??

All this to say that Windwaker Link and Spirit Tracks Link are different
Which mean we wont be able to play with 5 Toon links on screen :dizzy:

But we can see our grand Father :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink:

What do you think about this?? any other reasons why its not the same?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A little late on this buddy but yes. You're correct, the two Link's aren't the same people and thus can co-exist just fine with each other as Default Link does with them.

Plus, the very fact that ST Link is wearing that train conductors outfit would pretty much indicate that Wind Waker Link coming in with his green tunic would have been no problem at all.

I think most people who really believed in that ST stage logic were mostly people who wanted Toon Link to get cut. Either that or they were just uninformed or it just gave them doubts even if they knew they weren't the same people.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Young Link and Link from SSBM are literally the same guy. So WW Link being shown in the same universe as ST Link? Just another day in Smash Bros.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Another thing is that the graphics for the Spirit Tracks stage are literally ripped straight from Spirit Tracks itself (or look that way). The 3DS's graphics are quite a step up from the DS's, so Toon Link and background Toon Link would always look massively different.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That is pretty much the truth and why I always defended his inclusion despite ST Link being in the background of that stage.

Also, if you've played Spirit Tracks, it is outright stated that Zelda in that game is Tetra's descendant. There's even a stained glass depicting Tetra in Hyrule Castle. The Lokomo Angean mentions that the Spirit Flute was played by Zelda's grandmother, implied to be Tetra.

Speaking of Tetra, the pirate Niko appears in Spirit Tracks as an old man (he's the same Niko from Wind Waker) and when you talk to him after getting the iconic green clothes, he will state that the clothes reminds him of an old friend he had, an obvious allusion to Wind Waker Link (the playable Toon Link in Smash).

Playable Toon Link = Link from Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, the Hero of Winds who defeated Ganon and Bellum and traveled with Tetra to a new land.
Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage = Link from Spirit Tracks and an aspiring train engineer.

Anyone who thought that ST Link's appearance in the Spirit Train would invalidate Toon Link (WW+PH) appearance as a playable character either didn't play those games and didn't know that or were Toon Link haters that used this as an excuse to defend their point.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Another thing is that the graphics for the Spirit Tracks stage are literally ripped straight from Spirit Tracks itself (or look that way). The 3DS's graphics are quite a step up from the DS's, so Toon Link and background Toon Link would always look massively different.
Background models will always be lower poly than playable models, but I have a feeling he will be updated closer to release. It might also be in part an art choice, but the other reasons seem more likely.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
In my opinion one Link is enough. I think SSB4 needs instead of Toon-Link a new Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mother or F-Zero Character... But anyway. Maybe there are two toon-links in two different epochs / times / dimensions or whatever. ^^ But maybe, both of Links are called Toon-Link ^^

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
In my opinion one Link is enough. I think SSB4 needs instead of Toon-Link a new Metroid, Kid Icarus, Mother or F-Zero Character... But anyway. Maybe there are two toon-links in two different epochs / times / dimensions or whatever. ^^ But maybe, both of Links are called Toon-Link ^^
Actually, all Links are called Link. He's identified as Toon Link in Smash because he has a cartoon style, but his real name is just Link.

aggronianmaster1

Smash Cadet
I think they should have added a different type of link they are about to release a new game: a link between worlds why dont they use the link at is on the wall in the trailer he would be awesome!

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I think they should have added a different type of link they are about to release a new game: a link between worlds why dont they use the link at is on the wall in the trailer he would be awesome!
I was worried that Toon Link could be replaced by him. But I wonder how this ability of turning into a painting would work in Smash.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nice job pointing that out! Stick around, we could use your Zelda knowledge!

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
How do you want to use this link? Nobody can hit him and Link can't also hit other characters. If you want this element part, the best way is a stage from '' a Link between worlds ''.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Almost every new Zelda game introduces a new Link. But that wouldn't be a problem with Smash anyway, since Mario and Dr Mario can be seen in the same place with out any time-spatial paradoxes.

Hong

The Strongest
It has been a feature in other games since like SNES. It's about time, really.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
But Toon Link in Wink Waker is different from the Spirit Tracks one. Well, I guess this makes sense, since the two still look very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom