• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)

Most people consider Wind Waker as the last monumental Zelda game.
Well, a series' "last monumental game" would actually mark the "beginning of its decline". :p Even Starfox had one "last monumental game" (Assault) before the series declined into mediocrity (Command) and obscurity, so there IS somewhat of a connection in 88Hex's post, even though it's not a strong one.

However, I disagree that LoZ has even been declining at all. IMO, TP and SS were excellent games. I disliked WW somewhat, but everyone else seemed to love it, so as far as I'm concerned, there has never really been a period of "decline" in LoZ's history.

>Compares Toon Link to Krystal

You serious?

Wind Waker was a masterpiece. One of the best games I ever played.

And since when is Zelda declining? Skyward Sword was a superb game and among the best I've played as well.

This is all subjective, I must admit...
My reply to Swampasaur kinda applies to you as well.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I realized after that I would probably get a lot of hate for saying that, especially on the Toon Link Thread. I've gotta say though I'm pleasantly surprised that the responses were all in good humour. So thanks.

Yes, it definitely is subjective. I personally find the N64 Zeldas to be the pinnacle of the series, so when I say WW marked its decline, that's kind of what I mean. I don't believe it is a linear decline, however, because I prefer Twilight Princess to Wind Waker. Skyward Sword, however... Well, I enjoyed the game. I do think it is the weakest 3D Zelda to date though. There are many reasons I feel this way, but I won't get into it unless someone is curious.

Of course, Toon Link is not nearly as bad as Krystal in that regard. Toon Link is still Link, after all. I just view the entire atmosphere of the Wind Waker, and its entire... being, as fundamentally different than, say, the N64 Zeldas. Sure, that does partly have to do with its artstyle, I'll admit.

As for the claim that removing TL wouldn't make Link better...
Well, of course. However, his inclusion makes him even more irrelevant. If they base Link in SSB4 off SS Link, he would probably be more acrobatic in general, and probably a better character, kind of like Toon Link. IMO making TL even less necessary.

Of course, I don't hate TL, or WW. I know I probably come off that way, though. I just think he's kind of redundant, and is in my opinion one of the few characters that may warrant a cut.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's okay, after all. It is just your own opinion (Even if I disagree). Many people find the N64 Zelda's the pinnacle of the series which may or may not make them have too high expectations of future (or even past) entries to the series. I personally really enjoyed Wind Waker and I personally find it my most favourite Zelda game of all time. I also enjoyed Minish Cap as well as the more controversial Zelda's such as Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword so I personally don't think the games are getting that worse. I personally played worse games than any of the newer Zelda's imo.

Wind Waker is a game that has mixed opinions yes. I suppose it's one of those games that you either like or you don't.

If they are going to include two characters who fight similarly, they should at least design them in such a way that both have their pro's and cons. So in order to give players the option to choose whichever one suits their playstyle better. Though I think Toon Link could have used some of his own weaponry that is unique to him such as the Deku Leaf and Grappling Hook, even if it is used alongside the similar moves. As well as his signature Hurricane Spin attack.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Sakurai DID say he would cut out some vets in Smash 4 to bring in some newcomers.....
... did he? I only remember reading him saying that he was going to focus more on making veterans more solid than on bringing in new characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But he also said that Toon Link is important as he represents his side of the series. So it's probably not him.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if there are cuts, it probably won't be TL if what I hear about Sakurai's opinion of TL is correct. Which is unfortunate because he's one of the only really expendable characters in my opinion. Even unpopular characters usually deserve a spot for one reason or another. Like, they aren't going to be cutting ROB for no reason.

If I had to choose a few Vets to cut, all biases aside, I'd probably choose TL and Jiggs. I know Jiggs is old school, but, man, I think her time has passed.

IceColdSmashBrother

Smash Rookie
I'm glad to hear it won't be TL. He was growing into one of my favorite characters.

I find it funny that he was better thank Link. You think with Sakurai saying that TL being the image of the newer side of the franchise he allowed favoritism to play into creating TL?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I actually hope they don't cut out Toon Link. Normally I'd be fine cutting clones/semi-clones but Toon Link is an exception. I feel as if he's the better of the two. So unless they re-balance Link to not be as underwhelming as he was before, then I say keep Toon Link in the roster.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
that applies to all characters, but I want Toon Link to return. for me, he's a special character, because my first Zelda was Wind Waker.

they could remake his moveset to include other items, like this:

Neutral B: Fire Arrow - Same as Young Link in Melee, but with the floatiness of Toon Link's arrows.
But the post above has also a good idea. More unique, I like it.
Side B: Whip - I agree with the post above.
Down B: Bombchu - Drops a bombchu and it begins walking in Toon Link's direction when he used the attack.
Up B: Deku Leaf - If used in ground, he flicks the leaf and shoots a whirlwind pushing aside foes (not very unlike FLUDD or Gale Boomerang). If used in midair, it functions similarly to Peach's Parasol.

His side smash could be the Skull Hammer. His grab could be the Grappling Hook.
His sword could be either the Four Sword, the Lokomo Sword from Spirit Tracks or the Phantom Sword from Phantom Hourglass.
His Final Smash could be similar to Captain Falcon's, ramming with the train from Spirit Tracks.

Alternate costume: his engineer outfit from Spirit Tracks.

Conclusion: did Toon Link have to be a clone? No. Same goes for Ganondorf.
I agree with this whole-heartedly. Toon Link deserves to return to represent that part of the Zelda franchise. Just make him different from Link (and not a clone whose superior in every way) and he'll be perfect.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
But he also said that Toon Link is important as he represents his side of the series. So it's probably not him.
Can we also have source to this please? That would be great news if Sakurai would want to keep Toon Link in smash.

If Mewtwo, Toon Link AND Layton are in smash 4 I can die happily.... after I've played the game for a good number of years.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Can we also have source to this please? That would be great news if Sakurai would want to keep Toon Link in smash.[/SIZE][/S]
I admit that I have only heard about it till now.

I checked the Zelda character discussion thread where I had first heard that, and apparently it's from the Official Nintendo Magazine UK.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Hmmm, I went back and checked the article, and it's possible that I may have slightly misinterpreted what Sakurai was saying. Sakurai said something along the lines of 'the roster is saturated.' In other words, the actual number of characters cannot grow by much anymore. However, I'm fairly certain that it has been confirmed that new characters will be in Smash 4, so it's logical to assume that, with the max number of characters already reached and new characters on the way, some old characters may have to be eliminated.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Really, I would say that Toon Link should be the primary Link. That other Link can go as far as I'm concerned.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If there's going to be only one Link in Smash, it should be a more recent one, IMO. TL shouldn't be kept in when we could be having SS Link.

Here's my logic. YL and Adult Link made sense in Melee because the latest LoZ games at the time, I believe, were OoT and MM. The 'main Link' was played as both a 9 year old child and a 16 year old adolescent. In all honesty, Brawl could have had only TL or only TP Link and it would have been fine. Either one could have passed off as a 'main Link'. However, Sakurai wanted to keep some semblance of the Adult Link/YL duo in Brawl, so he went with the two most recent Links who so happened to coincide with that format. In other words, both Links were 'main Links'. Sakurai could very well decide that he wants to keep that Link/YL duo in Smash 4, but it honestly wouldn't make much sense if he eliminated part of that duo AND maintained a Link who isn't even the most recent Link. I wouldn't want TL to be my only Link in Smash 4 when I know I could have gotten SS Link with his interesting, revamped kit.

This is also possibly my strongest argument that TL will be eliminated for Smash 4 unless Sakurai explicitly wants to keep the Adult/Young duo.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Really, I would say that Toon Link should be the primary Link. That other Link can go as far as I'm concerned.
That's ridiculous.

Adult Link/Mature Link is iconic. His Ocarina of Time appearance in particular is one of the most recognizable faces in Video Games, period. Any reference to "Link" in webcomics/etc., is usually that Link. This wouldn't go over well with the majority of westerners.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Guys, judging from the new trailer, I'm having my doubts about Toon Link's return. He's shown in the trailer guiding the Spirit Tracks train as part of the background while the other characters are fighting.

Now this obviously doesn't de-confirm him. But it seems weird that a previously playable character is now suddenly seen as a stage ornament. If Toon Link was playable and fought on that stage, there would be two different versions of him on the same stage.

Perhaps this is a hint that he may have been cut?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Guys, judging from the new trailer, I'm having my doubts about Toon Link's return. He's shown in the trailer guiding the Spirit Tracks train as part of the background while the other characters are fighting.

Now this obviously doesn't de-confirm him. But it seems weird that a previously playable character is now suddenly seen as a stage ornament. If Toon Link was playable and fought on that stage, there would be two different versions of him on the same stage.

Perhaps this is a hint that he may have been cut?

Keep in mind that's Spirit Track's Link. Not Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link. It's about as risky as Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong in the 75M stage. Their two completely different people. So don't lose hope just yet. Especially me...

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that's Spirit Track's Link. Not Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link. Their two completely different people. So don't lose hope just yet. Especially me...

True, but they are both Toon Link, just different iterations of him. There's always hope. Hell G&W appeared in the background of his own stage as well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True, but they are both Toon Link, just different iterations of him. There's always hope. Hell G&W appeared in the background of his own stage as well.

Like I said. We had Donkey Kong and the Donkey Kong in the 75M stage in Brawl and their two different people (err apes) too. This should hopefully not deconfirm Wind Waker Toon Link.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
With the Wind Waker HD collection being put in the spotlight, I feel like Toon Link's position is safe. Who knows, maybe it even increases the chances that he'll be reworked into having more WW items?

Overly optimistic? Naw.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So Spirit Tracks Link is out but Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link is still possible.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Whoops, sorry, I'll move this conversation to the Toon Link thread. Sorry, mods.

I came across this picture on the site for the new ssb:

This looks to me like an NPC, and, although the Toon Link from Spirit Tracks and Wind Waker are not the same Link, they are both 'toon' Link to an extent, and this may mean that Toon Link is being cut from playability. So, I must ask the community; do you guys think this is hinting that Toon Link is being cut, or do you think it's nothing?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
75m Donkey Kong says "hi".

That's all I'll be leaving here. *leaves thread*
I know, I know, I saw your post in the other thread, but I made this because I want to see what everyone else has to say as well. You did give me something to think about with your comment, which is why I'm making this thread.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know, I know, I saw your post in the other thread, but I made this because I want to see what everyone else has to say as well. You did give me something to think about with your comment, which is why I'm making this thread.
Well alright then, I guess. But I think the mod's would be merging this to the Toon Link thread though... Or locking it and telling you to discuss this in the Toon Link thread but okay...

Since we aren't aloud to make new threads about veteran characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Please take this to the Toon Link thread.

But I'll play the waiting game on this topic.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
75m Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong. So that's not an argument.

That's actually exactly the argument- Spirit Tracks Toon Link is Wind Waker Toon Link's descendant.

Edit: Ninja'd. But yeah... it's discouraging, but it isn't exactly damning evidence. I think the only real deconfirm is Balloon Fighter.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
There will probably be some kind of second link, young, toon, classic... if we lose toon link to another link with a unique moveset I really wont care.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I actually expected Toon Link to stay due to the HD re-release of Wind Waker.

Who knows, maybe they'll add the Link to the Past 2 Link instead.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I personally would like to see a different character in the Zelda Franchise get repped rather than Toon Link or Young Link.

No offense to Toon Link fans.

grizby2

Smash Lord
ya, I wouldn't mind a different link, or just a different character all-together.

but toon link still might be in smash4. it seems too early to rule him out.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Being a big fan of Wind Waker, I would personally hate for him to be cut from SSB4. He's also one of my mains in Brawl. But I can understand why others would want other Zelda characters to be included in his place.

Also, I'll be ticked off if they don't include Ghirahim or at least Demise as a playable character.

Top Bottom