• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link AT's Thread: A Vast New Sea to Explore! [In Progress]

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Introduction

This thread is being made for discussion upon the new and old Advanced Techniques or AT's that have been implemented in to Smash 4. This will be seperate from general Toon Link discussion threads for the benefit of organisation and easy to access information. For those of you who don't know what an AT is. AT's were infamous in Toon Link's playstyle in brawl as there were so many to use that gave us a deeper and more stronger character. This is in the works for now and will take a long time to fully develop so I would greatly appreciate it if the community here would help a long the way. If you feel like something should be changed or fixed then please message me and I will fix it. Also, please avoid posting spam or irrelevant content, thanks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Contents: [Beta]
A1: Smash 4 AT's
A2: Returning AT's from Brawl
A3: General Tech

B1: Other Video Sources of Advanced Techs [Post videos on this thread to help as well please]
B2: Hypothetical and theories of possible AT's

C1: Credits to users who helped or found tech

______________________________________________________________________________________________

A1: Smash 4 AT's

Note* This will be updated over the weeks to be more organised and in a better order. Hopefully in order of usefulness in competitive play.

Bombs

Bomb Lag Cancel
Video of tech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSU0FzdvHtE
This video gives a brief idea of what Bomb Lag Cancel or [BLC] can do. I plan on uploading a specific video for it myself unless someone else wants to volunteer?
Anyway, this is the somewhat replacement to Toon Links missing Quickdraw. Instead of arrow cancels we now have bomb cancels. We can throw bombs to do the following
  • cancel ariel attack landing lag
  • cancel air dodge landing lag
  • cancel air dodge zair landing lag
  • arrow cancelling
How to perform: Whenever your landing with an ariel attack, zair (assuming you have a bomb) press down B and you will cancel the lag with the bomb throw.
Arrow cancel is done by releasing an arrow just before you land and pressing down B to finish the animation quicker. You cannot cancel arrows in the middle of charging it.
Boomerangs can not be BLC'd.

Multi-directional Bomb Lag Cancel [MBLC]
This allows us to use bomb lag cancel without just having to throw a bomb in front of us. So if you got fed up of people rolling behind your bomb zairs, then that problem has been fixed! Same also applies to hitstun cancelling, you can throw the bomb in any direction.
How to perform: When doing a normal ariel / airdodge/ arrow BLC, you need to buffer the direction you're going to throw the bomb with a direction input and A; then instantly press down B upon landing as well.
When performing this with hitstun cancel the same applies but you are free to do it anytime in hitstun. Effective uses are MBLC'ing downwards when being thrown by sheik for example who is gonna try to fair you across the stage like no tomorrow.

Bomb Hitstun Cancel
Using BLC after getting hit by an attack allows us to effectively cancel hitstun the moment we are flung in to the air making momentum cancelling somewhat present in Toon Link's arsenal. It'smostly useful when being thrown and can allow us to stop getting stringed across the stage from Diddy Kong or Sheik.
How to perform: Same as Bomb Lag Cancel, just press down B in the air during hitstun with a bomb in hand.

Non Self-Harming Bomb *Needs Video Link*
When throwing bombs near opponents and considering they are hit by the bomb. The bombs blast radius will no longer hurt Toon Link if it hits the opponent.
How to perform: Throw a bomb right next to your opponent and watch how we don't take damage up close anymore!

Exploding Bomb Duplication

When a bomb explodes on a person, you can catch the bomb in the middle of the explosion on it's first few frames again as the bomb has not fully disappeared. What this essentially means is you can catch a bomb that inflicts damage and grab it again without the need of pulling out a new bomb. It's very timing specific and requires the correct amount of space and is generally easier to pull off when doing a BFO.
How to perform: When the bomb is about to explode press A or air dodge to recatch the bomb and if you've done it right the bomb should explode and you catch it again. Also quite noticeable when practicing this is you can sometimes see the bomb somewhat teleport back to your hand if you just mistime it a little early.

Other / Sword Play

Move in Down Air

Upon impact with Toon Link's down air, he can now move left and right.
How to perform: Just press left or right after you connect a down air and you will move. Sort of useful for spiking but setting it up is redundant and almost impossible.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

A2: Returning AT's from Brawl

Note* This is soon to be put in order of moves such as Arrows, Boomerang and Bombs. Most useful techs will be on the top of each section.
Edit 31/10/2014 : Not enough time to put this in order tonight sorry guys! </3

JC Throw [Jump Cancelled Bomb Throw] *Needs Video Link*
This gives Toon Link the ability to slide a little distance when throwing a bomb. It also allows you to move out of this action quicker making up for better combo potential.
How to perform: Pull out a bomb, run in any direction and press jump whilst pressing A right after. If you jump then you didn't throw the bomb quick enough. You can throw the bomb in any direction when doing this.

Bomb Zair *Needs Video Link*
Bomb Zair is just how it sounds. Pulling out your tether whilst holding a bomb. People may notice it is useless in this game as the airdodge carries over in to zair upon cancelling the air dodge. This means you will have massive landing lag after zairing if you air dodge before it. However, a new tech introduced to this game also known as BLC [Bomb Lag Cancel] fixes this problem. Check it out in the Smash 4 Techs section [Section A2]
How to perform: Pull out a bomb and jump in the air. airdodge and zair during the airdodge and you will cancel the airdodge and pull out your tether whilst holding a bomb. This can also be done for recovering with your tether.

BFO [Bomb Fake Out] *Needs Video Link*
Bomb Fake Out was quite flashy and useless when it came to brawl however it may serve quite popular and useful to our new Toon Link here. It gives us an easier way to catch our bombs with ariels and can still be used to "fake out" your opponent when throwing a bomb. What it does is you throw a bomb behind you in mid-air at the peak of your jump and you follow the bomb, you can then catch the bomb with an air-dodge or any ariel attack. BLC allows us to cancel ariel lag as well so you can see why it has good usage.
How to perform: Pull out a bomb and either do a SH or FH whilst going backwards. At the peak of your jump, throw the bomb behind yourself and follow it. You can catch the bomb at a certain arc with any ariel attack [preferably nair or fair]
or even an airdodge.

Instant Bomb Airdodge Throw *Needs Video Link*
When catching a bomb with an airdodge you can instantly cancel the airdodge by throwing the bomb on the first few frames upon catching it. Unlike brawl, the timing in smash 4 is slightly more lenient towards performing. But it isn't that much more difficult.
How to perform: When a bomb is in the air and you can catch it with an airdodge, press the airdodge button to catch it and then the same moment you catch it, throw the bomb with A and the direction of your choice. Some cool things you can do with this is throwing a bomb up and pulling out another. Throw the bomb at hand and instantly throw the one falling down with your airdodge. This can also be done with any other projectile such as Diddy's bananas or Peaches turnips.

Tether Ledge Cancel *Needs Video Link*
Really easy to pull off and can be used for mindgames when recovering. When you tether the ledge [which by the way is insanely good in this game] you can cancel it by pressing down and the zair will retreat back to you. If you still have a jump then this is a good thing to keep in mind. Either way you can still use your up B if you retreat your tether as well.
How to perform: Press down when zair connects to the ledge.

Falling Up B *Needs Video Link*
This was always kind of useless but it is worth mentioning. This no longers grabs ledges if you perform it off of a ledge now which is strange and it also has no hitbox on the back of Toon Link now. However I've managed to get a consistent two hits from the front side of the falling up B. Humurous to watch as well but almost useless for competitive play.
How to perform: Run towards a ledge or the edge of a platform and press up B slightly before you run off. If you performed it right you'll slide just that extra bit forward and fall off. Most commonly you will run off and do a normal rising up B. That just means you timed it too late.

Dair Stall *Needs Video Link*
This is a bit more specific to perform in this game as you are required to use a bomb to cancel your hitstun. Same as BLC, just throw your bomb with down B and you'll cancel your histun completely. Dair stall can allow Toon Link to recover from high positions or just stall in the air for a short amount of time after taking a hit.
How to perform: Use BLC (Down B with a bomb in hand) To cancel hitstun and then jump whilst doing a Dair right afterwards. If done right you'll float horizontally across or in place depending on what your momentum was when you down air'd.

The Somewhat Safe Spike? *Needs Video Link*
A safe spike in Smash 4? You gotta be kidding me? Well no, there's something interesting they have done with this down air. You can control the way you move after hitting down air. This allows a new way to spike and may seem like we're reaching but I think we're on to something. Thrown a bomb down on the opponent still sends the opponent slightly outwards. You can still follow the DI and down air them. Thing is you can do this to players who sit by the ledge a lot of the time and when you connect the down air afterwards, you can shift back in to the stage very safely. Seems like a good punish for those who camp on the ledge all day!
How to perform: Pull out a bomb and jump above your opponent whilst throwing the bomb down on them. If connected, you want to go past where you threw the bomb and then down air considering the bomb sent them towards your direction. Then move back in to the stage. REMEMBER: This should never be done way out on the stage as down air no longer bounces.

Boomerang Gliding + Super Boomerang Glide *Needs Video Link*
This got a severe buff due to the new running off of ledge mechanics. In Smash 4 when you run off of a ledge every character will do a forward roll. Because animation is nice. But what this has actually done to boomerang gliding is amazing. You go even faster and further now in this game because of this added feature! Now you can move like a yoshi in the air with your Boomerang!
How to perform: You can still do a normal boomerang glide if you time it just slightly early. To do the new super Boomerang Glide you just have to wait a little longer when running off of the ledge and then doing your Side B. This can also be wavebounced as well off of platforms like Battlefield and Yoshi's Island! Amazing!

Retreating SH Arrow *Needs Video Link*
This is interesting for spacing when shooting arrows especially when you mix it up with a BLC. You run towards an opponent and Reverse Ariel Rush and then jump. Do a reverse B from the direction you're facing and you will pull back the opposite direction you were running towards whilst shooting an arrow.
In brawl this was a little more effective becauseyou could shoot two arrows whilst doing this. However we can use BLC.

C4 Bombs *Needs Video Link*
Allows you to plant a bomb on the floor without exploding, acts like the custom move bombs. Has numerous ways of being performed, timing is a bit more difficult in this game as well.
How to perform:
Method 1 -
Pull out a bomb and do a short hop. Right before you land and I mean RIGHT before you land. Press the grab button in the air to do a z-drop and if you time the drop correctly. The bomb will land on the floor without exploding.
Method 2 - Jump through a platform (i.e Battlefield) with a bomb in hand and drop it the moment you pass through. If the timing is correct you'll drop the bomb without it exploding.
Method 3 - Similar to method 2, just drop through the platform however whilst dropping the bomb.
Method 4? - Haven't gotten it to work yet but in brawl you could drop a bomb on the ledge after you jump recover from the ledge. If anyone can get it to work then please say so.

Bomb DACUS *Needs Video Link*
Also known as performing an up-smash with a bomb in hand. The timing on this is insane when done on a normal 3DS. (Can't say for New 3DS LL or other New 3DS or Gamecube controller)
It seems almost frame perfect to do now, atleast on a normal 3DS. When performed, Toon Link will dash attack to pick up the bomb and instantly cancel the animation with an up-smash. *It can also be charged*
How to perform: Drop a bomb on the floor using the C4 technique. Once done, run towards the bomb and do the following.
Dash Attack [A] > Up + Grab [L or R]
If you do a dash cancelled grab, then you did it too early or too fast. For some reason it's REALLY easy to cancel dash attacks with grabs in this game and also adds a little distance like Roll Cancel Grabs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

A3: General Tech

RAR (Reverse Ariel Rush)
When running towards an opponent you can jump and face the opposite direction you are jumping towards allowing for back air approaches or BFO approaches.
How to perform: When running slightly flick or press the circle pad / control stick in the opposite direction shortly before you jump.

Wavebouncing *Needs Video Link*
This is a simple tech that allows Toon Link to turn around on the start up of his arrows. This gives some interesting movement off of ledge and in the air. It can also be performed on the ground.
How to perform: Press B then move the circle pad or control stick in the opposite direction you are facing. Can also be done with boomerangs but requires you to do side B then flick to the opposite direction.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

B1: Other Video Sources of Advanced Techs

Representation of IZAC used in competitive play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBAj0ErMI4

BLC further explained and shown in to detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ICCYefMCyg

Again, if anything you feel like needs mentioned then please do post about it! This is still being updated obviously and is no where near finished. I'm making changes every so often so I hope you can all bear with me! Thanks for reading and there's still plenty more to be done!

Edit: 18/10/2014 - Going to make a start on section B soon, also add a general AT section for general all around character knowledge like RAR, pivots and item toss cancel.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Doing some updates tonight and going to try and get the Smash 4 techs started as well. Added a few interesting things some people may want to check out just now:
  • Super Gliding Boomerang
  • The Somewhat Safe Spike?
These two techs have had some changes to them and should be discussed and looked in to a little bit.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do with my Tink, as soon as I feel its ready well have all of the (offline pls) Tink dittos.

Great thread Yacka

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Something interesting I noticed (not sure if this was already discovered or not). But,

When a bomb is in the air, you can catch it using Zair, and your tether won't come out, and you can immediately throw it afterwards. Think of it as an Instant Bomb Zair Cancel Throw. So unlike catching the bomb with nair/fair, you don't have to wait for an animation to end, you can throw the bomb instantly.

I tried doing it with BFO by throwing bomb behind me > Zair, but it turns into an airdodge for me.

I am not sure how this can be applied towards competitive play, but its just something worth noting.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
It kind of looks like an insta-bomb throw. All it is doing is catching the bomb with Zair. It's nothing really special.
You can BFO like this but you need to throw the bomb a lot quicker when you Z-catch it. Airdodge cancelling is much more useful when it comes to BFO. However Z-catching can be useful for just catching a bomb normally if you don't want to use an ariel or airdodge.

In other news, I'm getting a little more consistent at IZAC (Nair)
It's a good mix up but nair is really easy to punish OoS this time. As long as you pull back and fast fall with a BLC. It's really good option for shieldpressure. If the bomb bounces off their shield you can run in and re-catch the bomb with another nair or run away and let them be stuck in shield until they roll or jump out.

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I gotta learn that IZAC lol

Anyway, @ Yackabean Yackabean do you mind exchanging FCs? I want to get in a few sets against you, hoping you could help out my Toon Link

GoldenBoy25

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldenBoy12
3DS FC
5043-3152-3802
Great job on this thread. Looking forward to picking up some of these techniques.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I gotta learn that IZAC lol

Anyway, @ Yackabean Yackabean do you mind exchanging FCs? I want to get in a few sets against you, hoping you could help out my Toon Link
Gonna do some tidying up on the thread, add a few missing things and make the thread a lot more nicer to read.

Anyway we can play pretty much anytime just leave me a PM!

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
If anyone wants to mess around with Bomb DACUS for a while and confirm the timing for me it would be appreciated. All I know so far is the timing is insanely tight Dx

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
Since i played lots of toonlink in brawl without these techniques, i am eager to learn them since i want to include TL in my 'mains pool'. I have found that is zoning/punishing game is quite my style.

I'll reserve this post to make videos showing the tech you explained here. I have a 3ds capture card, but atm i dont have sound support yet. This should be fixed around tuesday/wednesday. I will probably make sperate videos private with a public video of all techs combined. Keep up the good work :D

I could also make videos without any sound and then i could make them right now. I am having lots of trouble doing the Bomb DACUS though. even in 1/4 speed i cant seem to do it. That is what you get if you dont have any prior DACUS experience ;). EDIT: i pulled one off in 1/4 speed but still really difficult to do.

Also about the Dair spike, it also works when you stand near the edge (almost falling off) and then using SH/FH -> Dair. It catches some characters out of ther recovery and if they dont sweetspot the ledge it is a spike.

Finally, you might as well add your found Down Smash option to the list.(smashboards. com/threads/how-to-deal-with-little-mac.373744/)

Last edited:

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
Gotta need to rack up these posts to post some usefull links here and there, hehe. anyway, even though its a double post, i would like to share with you a video i made, showing most of the At's described here. although some aren't THAT usefull, it is still nice to see how it looks. When we eventually have a nice list, i will make another video with the most usefull AT's in them :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6HVLWObJws

Last edited:

clevermaniac

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2724-0961-7292
This video definitely helped to see what these techs actually look like. Nice job.

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
This video definitely helped to see what these techs actually look like. Nice job.

Any tips on how to perform the IZAC consistently? Would this input be correct for the IZAC: get a bomb, SH, press L just when you are airborne (too early and you jump throw cancel) and immediately A do do aerial+catch. Landing is ofc the BLC.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, so I've been fiddling around but didn't wanna post till I had this 100%.

But now I do.

I figured how to Bomb Cancel in any direction. Normally when you Bomb Cancel, you throw it forward, and thats nice but when you're getting Fthrown by sheik and you bomb cancel it doesn't do much.

But now, you can throw the bomb downward to sheik after getting dthrown/fthrown to not get faired, or get a trade at the very least to reset the situation. You can do this with any kind of bomb cancel.

To do this, follow these inputs:
direction you want to throw + A or R (i use R to grab, so whatever you use to grab) + Bomb Cancel (has to be like immediately after you've inputted which direction, so in a sense you have to buffer the direction then bomb cancel).

Also, IZAC Aerial->Fast Fall->Bomb Cancel is a legit as **** approach.

Some more BFOs from brawl that I didnt see listed anywhere are Airdodge+Zair->Bomb Cancel when you land, BFO+Instathrow

Last edited by a moderator:

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, so I've been fiddling around but didn't wanna post till I had this 100%.

But now I do.

I figured how to Bomb Cancel in any direction. Normally when you Bomb Cancel, you throw it forward, and thats nice but when you're getting Fthrown by sheik and you bomb cancel it doesn't do much.

But now, you can throw the bomb downward to sheik after getting dthrown/fthrown to not get faired, or get a trade at the very least to reset the situation. You can do this with any kind of bomb cancel.

To do this, follow these inputs:
direction you want to throw + A or R (i use R to grab, so whatever you use to grab) + Bomb Cancel (has to be like immediately after you've inputted which direction, so in a sense you have to buffer the direction then bomb cancel).

Also, IZAC Aerial->Fast Fall->Bomb Cancel is a legit as **** approach.

Some more BFOs from brawl that I didnt see listed anywhere are Airdodge+Zair->Bomb Cancel when you land, BFO+Instathrow
Great ****ing find.This makes it x10 better.

Edit: Dude. The Possiilities. een trying it a little and just from this time I've found the when you're facing your opponent, retreat, ack throw, catch with aerial, buffer ack throw and perform down special is the best fake out ever.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Gotta need to rack up these posts to post some usefull links here and there, hehe. anyway, even though its a double post, i would like to share with you a video i made, showing most of the At's described here. although some aren't THAT usefull, it is still nice to see how it looks. When we eventually have a nice list, i will make another video with the most usefull AT's in them :)

youtube. com/watch?v=b6HVLWObJws
This is superb! Thanks a lot, i'll make sure to get this in the videos section when I can get to a computer!

Also about this new throwing BLC's in any direction. I'm struggling intensly pulling this off in directions such as backwards and up. Can do it down they way cause you're already holding down for the BLC part. Any idea how we might be able to make this tech a little more viable cause right now It has a timing stricter than IZAC almost.

As for doing IZAC's on your control scheme it's right the timing is just rough.

And yeah Izac nair to BLC is boss man <3

D

Deleted member

Yeah. The possibilities are humungous. The greatest mixup being spaced IZAC bair to BLC backwards. There IS NO PUNISH to it.

I'm going to test if Sheik will get punished for fthrowing us. If she does, you can believe the matchup got better by a bit.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I'm skeptical on IZAC bair. It's difficult to set up, IZAC's much more difficult to pull in this game and you have to buffer the thrown direction whilst doing BLC. SO MANY INPUTS. It's close to impossible to do half of the time on a 3DS... *sigh* atleast the downwards BLC is easy to perform and will get us out of sheik throws...

On the bright side. BFO bair reverse BLC isn't difficult

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Its not that hard lol. If you can do it in brawl it isnt too hard in this

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Question! How are you guys doing aerials with a bomb in your hand? Also wants an IZAC?

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
You can catch bombs with ariels in your hand effectively 5ully.
IZAC stands for (Instant z-drop ariel catch) catching a bomb the moment you jump and drop it.

Also zan, I can do IZAC 100% of the time in brawl. Not many people could but after playing smash 4 it made me godly at performing it in brawl.
Unfortunately I can't pull it off pas much in 3DS. Maybe you can solve my problem.
When I try to IZAC, I will mostly have the zair come out.
When I adjust myself To avoid that I start JC throwing.
Then I finally get the sweetspot, I drop the bomb with no zair. but now I can't Nair because I didn,t let go of R (grab on my control scheme) quick enough.
These 3 problems are what keep stopping me from getting my IZAC. i was so consistent at it over the week to and after trying out multi directional BLC today I can no longer do IZAC consistently. Any idea how to improve on performing IZAC?

Trust me it's not easier in 3DS. The timing is cruel now because of that bloody zair coming out on z-drops. And tapping R is apprently too hard. Maybe I should try delay my ariels more.

Last edited:

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
So you have to IZAC if you want to used aerials and BLC? Im confused by this.

Well I think your first and second issue is that the time you're jumping and Zairing is too far apart or too close together

From my experience with this is that its just way too hard to do this for me to put in the effort to really hone this AT. It looks nice and has its uses but the input is too much for the 3DS, if you can do it i'm jealous but i don't think i'm gonna waste time on it.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I feel kinda the same 5ully. It's too finnicky to do accurately. But no, IZAC Is a separate thing from BLC. Bomb lag cancel originally was a simple tech, cancel lag with throwing a bomb by pressing down B. But today people found out you can throw the bomb in other directions whilst using blc. But it requires even more inputs and buffering.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
i know how to BLC but i'm wondering how people are doing aerials and the BLCing

Last edited:

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
Doing an aerial with a bomb is hand is what the IZAC is by definition. It comes down to dropping the bomb and immediately catching it with your aerial and then landing with the BLC

Also thanks Yackabean for the feedback. I will just practise it on 1/4 speed and when that is consistent, get speed to 1/2 and move on. Same for any other move we might find. At closer to normal speeds i seem to either JC Throwing, the zair comes out or i drop it but then my attack follow up is too late meaning that i do an aerial out of a SH while dropping the bomb on the ground.The timing is insanely difficult though. But i can say that the bomb DACUS timing is even more tight if that is possible.

I will have to see if i can pull off the BLC in any direction. Great find anyway! I will stick to TL since i liked him anyawy and i managed to beat a Rosalina with it asfter losing 4 times with my other chars ;)

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I just know for a fact IZAC is going to be laughably easier to do on a GC controller. God Wii U needs to hurry up -.-

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
I just know for a fact IZAC is going to be laughably easier to do on a GC controller. God Wii U needs to hurry up -.-
How come? I personally dont have much gamecube controller experience (sadly never owned a GC myself :/). I could see how it would be easier but laughably easier? I guess because of the C stick right? Also i think the wii u pro controller will be my choice for the Wii U but it should be easier there as well.

D

Deleted member

You can catch bombs with ariels in your hand effectively 5ully.
IZAC stands for (Instant z-drop ariel catch) catching a bomb the moment you jump and drop it.

Also zan, I can do IZAC 100% of the time in brawl. Not many people could but after playing smash 4 it made me godly at performing it in brawl.
Unfortunately I can't pull it off pas much in 3DS. Maybe you can solve my problem.
When I try to IZAC, I will mostly have the zair come out.
When I adjust myself To avoid that I start JC throwing.
Then I finally get the sweetspot, I drop the bomb with no zair. but now I can't Nair because I didn,t let go of R (grab on my control scheme) quick enough.
These 3 problems are what keep stopping me from getting my IZAC. i was so consistent at it over the week to and after trying out multi directional BLC today I can no longer do IZAC consistently. Any idea how to improve on performing IZAC?

Trust me it's not easier in 3DS. The timing is cruel now because of that bloody zair coming out on z-drops. And tapping R is apprently too hard. Maybe I should try delay my ariels more.
Practice in 1/2 speed (not 2/3, its too choppy, not 1/4 its too slow unless you wanna use it as a very very early starting point) and practice just short hop zdrop. If you can get where the first few frames are that you can zdrop it becomes much much easier. Then add your aerial. You can kinda get used to the timing in real time if you just do that, thats what I did.

In real time, heres what happens:
1. If you're getting ZAir, you're doing it too late.
2. If you're just throwing the bomb on the ground, you're doing it too early
3. If you Z drop but you didn't catch the bomb, your aerial was too slow

I find using circle pad is easier for some aerials and using X is easier for others. Its all preference for you. X seems better for when you're running.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Practice in 1/2 speed (not 2/3, its too choppy, not 1/4 its too slow unless you wanna use it as a very very early starting point) and practice just short hop zdrop. If you can get where the first few frames are that you can zdrop it becomes much much easier. Then add your aerial. You can kinda get used to the timing in real time if you just do that, thats what I did.

In real time, heres what happens:
1. If you're getting ZAir, you're doing it too late.
2. If you're just throwing the bomb on the ground, you're doing it too early
3. If you Z drop but you didn't catch the bomb, your aerial was too slow

I find using circle pad is easier for some aerials and using X is easier for others. Its all preference for you. X seems better for when you're running.
Thanks a lot for replying Zan! This has helped a lot actually and I'm pulling it off quite consistently again. I was really having an off day with IZAC that night. But you're right, practicing on 1/2 is much much easier for pulling it off when it comes to real time! ^_^

D

Deleted member

No probs, I'll be back if I can find time to upload a video with all this or if I find anything else.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Idk about you guys but I've manage to SD a lot more then I'd like to in this game. One reason for my early deaths, is that I noticed if you use Tinks Recovery move too close to a wall you will sometimes end up 'Wall Jumping-spinning'. This can be done by tilting the sliding pad to the Upper-left or upper-right (away from the stage) while using your Uspecial once you touch the wall. It's veritcal movement is not as much as your normal Uspecial, so if you end up using it too low you wont be able to snap on the ledge.
Not sure if this is a new AT or not but I don't like it.

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Toon Link's new up B is garbage compared to brawl.
But it's no where near PM standards thank god lol.
I don't really like it either but our new tether range kind of makes up for it.
Bomb recovery is still an option too but it might just be me but it feels like bombs take forever to explode now for Toon Link?

I'm noticing the horizontal movement on up B isn't all that great either now. Probably cause of the nerfed vertical height. Sakurai makes me laugh though, he put in Toon Link's trophy description "Toon Link's Sword Spin sends him much higher than Link's recovery so use it to your advantage!"

Probably not quoting that competely word by word but I'm sure Link and Toon Link have almost the exact same recovery now. I'd even argue Link's is better in this game by a milestone especially because bomb recovery is so quick and easy for him to pull off.

On a more on topic note though to do with the thread, I'm planning on doing an update in the next day or two. Sorry about the lack of updates in it. I haven't been by a computer really that much recently and I'd prefer to edit it on a computer for sake of simplicity. Been posting from iPad as of recent.

Last edited:

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
Yh Toon Link can get edgeguarded more easily because of up B not going as far. You usually need to save your second jump and airdodge through an edgeguard to recover. That means you usually recover low unless you can tether the ledge quickly enough. Recovering low is vulnerable to some dairs tho. When the opponent stays on the stage, you can cover your recovery with bombs, boomerangs or an arrow shot. Bombs do seem longer to explode though so a bomb recovery is hard to do unless you pull one out when you're near the blast zone with a slow recovery. I generally use them more to cover my recovery.

On a more personal note, my winrate with TL in For Glory has been steadily rising. Since i have a capture card on my 3ds XL iImight also upload some good games from for glory, which could be used for general improvement tips or gameplay examples.

In one funny game i was against a Marth who heavily struggles vs TL in for glory (and i felt i was better overall). I got his first stock while being around 40% and with his second stock he hung on the ledge for a long time. The moment he regrabbed the ledge (no invic frames) i just YOLO'd and Dair'd him from the ledge for the win :D That will become a video for sure ;)

Last edited:

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Yh Toon Link can get edgeguarded more easily because of up B not going as far. You usually need to save your second jump and airdodge through an edgeguard to recover. That means you usually recover low unless you can tether the ledge quickly enough. Recovering low is vulnerable to some dairs tho. When the opponent stays on the stage, you can cover your recovery with bombs, boomerangs or an arrow shot. Bombs do seem longer to explode though so a bomb recovery is hard to do unless you pull one out when you're near the blast zone with a slow recovery. I generally use them more to cover my recovery.

On a more personal note, my winrate with TL in For Glory has been steadily rising. Since i have a capture card on my 3ds XL iImight also upload some good games from for glory, which could be used for general improvement tips or gameplay examples.

In one funny game i was against a Marth who heavily struggles vs TL in for glory (and i felt i was better overall). I got his first stock while being around 40% and with his second stock he hung on the ledge for a long time. The moment he regrabbed the ledge (no invic frames) i just YOLO'd and Dair'd him from the ledge for the win :D That will become a video for sure ;)
Regarding Bomb timers I'm pretty sure they take the same amount of time to go off as in brawl (if anything they're a tiny bit shorter). But I do think some of the stages have smaller horizontal blast zones then we're use to, compensation for the 3DS's tiny screen. I was wondering where does one get a capture card from? I have some replays I'd like to post on the web.

EDIT: @ Blueye Blueye Holy **** that's expensive, I'm gonna just keep my mad skills to myself I've decided.

Last edited:

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
Regarding Bomb timers I'm pretty sure they take the same amount of time to go off as in brawl (if anything they're a tiny bit shorter). But I do think some of the stages have smaller horizontal blast zones then we're use to, compensation for the 3DS's tiny screen. I was wondering where does one get a capture card from? I have some replays I'd like to post on the web.
I got mine from http://3dsvideocapture.com, so you could look there. there is also http://3dscapture.com, but they only mod the capture board onto your 3ds so yuo cant buy a new 3ds there.

Last edited:

PRGN

Smash Cadet
NNID
パラゴン
3DS FC
1891-1272-1580
Im sure people have been experimenting with this, but couldn't find it in any discussion.
Hold a bomb, get hit at any percent, and immediately throw bomb with Down-B (followed by any move)
Just some interesting stuff which may lead into something useful.

Last edited:

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
Im sure people have been experimenting with this, but couldn't find it in any discussion.
Hold a bomb, get hit at any percent, and immediately throw bomb with Down-B (followed by any move)
Just some interesting stuff which may lead into something useful.
This is indeed something you can do with the bomb lag cancel. It is not listed on its own with the bomb lag cancel but it is mentioned in the Dair Stall. So the bomb Lag Cancel can also be used as Bomb hitstun cancel ;)

Top Bottom