• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Today is The Beatles Day

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Which apparently means profiting by selling a bunch of stupid things.

Some claim the first heavy rock song
Not true. Frank Zappa had been doing heavy rock for a while

Some claim that they are the origins of samples on records
SO WRONG
SO HORRIBLY WRONG
First off, sampled based music had been going on long before The Beatles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hNl_skTZQ
1958 was when that song was written, and it shows more advance sampling techniques than what the beatles showed.
At the time of The Beatles, King Tubby was also doing much more expansive sampling than simple loops

Beatles founded modern day electronical music
Again, wrong. Most of that goes to Bruce Haack, and pieces, way, way earlier than The Beatles, most modern day synths were invented by the man who wrote the music for Bugs Bunny back in the 1930s.

Beatles founded recording your own songs that you wrote
Again, wrong. Ike Turner

If there is anything I have not adressed here, please bring it up.

The Beatles were the first mainstream, well-known, and international band to do all that they did
Which was? That they were popular?? That they were in movies?? They didn't do anything different really. They are remembered because they represent a generation, and because John Lenon was died. They got credit for doing nothing, literally. They got praised for saying "We write love songs, so all our songs our love songs." People completely ignore that that is a complete cop out.

The Beatles are remembered for being The Beatles.

And shame on you, for thinking that King Tubby, Ike Turner, Bruce Haack, and Frank Zappa aren't remembered. That's just ignorant. King Tubby is a ragge and dub legend. Frank Zappa is continually becoming a larger, and larger entity in music, and Bruce Haack has a documentary about him. Clearly they are remembered.

First off, they revolutionized the pop music industry.
That's an industry, that's not music, that's business.

You may scoff at any and all music that, God forbid, is actually popular

Because the music of Ike and Tina Turner is not popular?
Watch yourself, its horible debating to simple claim that I attack them for their popularity, and makes your side looked polarized.

They made albums matter, rather than just singles.
Music is just notes.
And The Beach Boys have more protest songs than The Beatles, incase having a 'message' is your argument for making music that 'matters'

but you'd probably have some obscure band's album at the ready
Don't assume because you have never heard of it that it must be obscure. There are other scenes out side of what you are aware mind you. King Tubby is by no means obscure, and is incredibly well known to anyone who listens to Raggee.
For instance, a little known act right now in America is Lykke Li, and then I was very surprised to see comment on a forum about how he can't go a school lunch without someone talking about how they either love or hate her. Musical popularity, like high school popularity, is only relevant.
Another example would be Aphex Twin and Dan Deacon, two huge, godly figures in Electronical right now, who those outside of electronical know close to nothing about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_7U0-cK0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFlBJ1xZK10

They may not have created it, but they legitimized it.

I always lol when I hear this.
To legitimize something is to make it viable for use, not make it to where a large portion of people actually know about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Pbyg_kcEk
Here we see Circut bending, a new technique that seemed exciting, but useless at the time this short doc was made.
Flashforward two years latter, Chris Clark makes an album based almost entirely off Circut bending, and is an incredible hit in the dance scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijE0qwusOzM
That is legitimizing something. Its taking a technique and finding a proper use for it. Its not making it popular.
Also, making something popular is not innovation mind you.

Also, you say that they "represent a generation" as something that doesn't matter. ??? They wrote music that a whole generation of people could connect with on an emotional level, and that's nothing?
In terms of innovation, yes. Its good for a history major, but it doesn't do anything to progress music.

Sure, so-and-so may have been the first to do some technical music thing, but they obviously weren't able to connect with the listeners in the way the Beatles could

Not true, because very few of these listeners expanded their listening to these techniques. How many people from this generation claim that hip-hop and drum and bass don't write music because they sample? Clearly, when they sampled, they did not reach people with the sampling. Other wise in these people eyes, it would have been legitimized.

Why are they still one of the best-selling acts in music?
Because people flock to be apart of something. Not claiming all fans, but people are pack animals by nature, and sadly, I doubt that few people who listen to any kind of music are truly listening to the music, and are just enjoying the social sense it gives us. Its why breaking into a foreign music scene can be so hard

hy were copies of their remastered albums flying off of shelves yesterday?
Because people flock to be apart of something.
And as for the remasteres, they aren't even fully remixed and remastered.

Because people still identify with their music, 40 years on.
No, because their image is still pushed 40 years on. Frank Zappa has not had any image pushed by anyone other than him, his wife, and his son, yet continues to have increasing popularity.

and are deservingly remembered for it.

No, no they aren't, because they are claimed to have innovated music, when they had done no such thing.

Just because you, for whatever reason of taste or elitism, don't like them, doesn't take away from what they did.
I have already discourage others from talking about like or dislike in this thread.
My issue is that they are claimed to be innovators, when they had done no innovating whatsoever in their music, without improving on the techniques that they wished to employ at all.

You understand without them, Rock wouldn't have maintained it's mainstream status, right?
Again, you talk about business and culture. Not music.
For advancing music, and not music business, they did very little.

And you are aware that without the business aspect, music would be dead in a gutter, right?

Not true at all. Music existed long before it became the large business we have today. Classical music did not fall out of style, it has the same listening pool as it had many years ago. Back then, musicians were not supported by patrons. Music flourished then, without the billions of people in the music industry today. Back then, music was supported by the nobles as patrons to musicians. Also, your point does in no way disprove my point that The Beatles were in fact not influential to music, but rather to music business

why does it seem that in every music thread in here CRASHiC claims that all popular artists are bad and don't advance music/industry?
First off, I have said nothing about good or bad in this thread. I am showing that The Beatles did not 'shape modern music' as a lot of people blindly claim.
Secondly, Ike Turner and Tina Turner are not popular?
And I suppose you'd say the same thing about Damon Albarn and Aphex Twin in today's music too :L
Popularity is in no way an argument for a bands quality, originality, or influence in music any more than it is against it.
In fact, not only have I discouraged others from talking and arguing about taste in this thread, but I myself have been attacked for an opinion on which I had not even stated.
As seen below-
The Beatles are ****ing awesome. Opinions beside this are annoyingly hipster-ish and nitpicky.
Any claims that The Beatles have influenced and changed music are simply unfounded and wrong.

If you can't acknowledge that the business aspect of music is just as important today as it was in the 50s, then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
I meant long, long ago, before the music business. The days of Mozart and Beethoven.
And even then,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZazEM8cgt0
And even then, music can survive and thrive without the business aspect, as it had before record companies.

What? Please re-read this statement.
What about the statement? It says that previously, musicians were supported by rich patrons who payed for them to be musicians. Its the same for painters and writers of the age.

Many (all?) of your points are that "The Beatles weren't the first to do _____" That may be so, but it doesn't mean that they haven't been influential to the world of music.
I also pointed out that not only where they not the first to do something, but that they also did not legitimize it or advance the said technique.

The number of bands influenced by the Beatles is countless. To say otherwise is "simply wrong."
I highly doubt this. The Beatles are a gravy train, and to say you were inspired by The Beatles is a very good marketing ploy. Also, while you may be inspired to write music by someone, that does not necissary mean that your music is at all influenced by them.

I bring you Animal Collective, who the members said in an interview that they were inspired to make music by Michale Jackson's Thriller, which is about as far from their music catalog as you can get. Someone may spark your interest in something, but it does not mean they were an influence on your work.
For reference, this is Animal Collective, whose sound is much more folk and Beach Boys driven than anything put out by Michale Jackson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_leV7zskgw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxhaRgJUMl8
Here we see that despite the group's initial interest in Michale Jackson, there music (music being the only thing that matters in music) is in no way inspired by his works.
Also, inspiring people to make music doesn't make you influential to music itself. The structure of music must be changed in some manner, and nearly all of these 'first' (none of which were actually first) that The Beatles introduced were either already established in music, or see no use in the rock or pop genres that they are so hailed for pioneering.

I'm also rather intrigued that you would create a topic about a band you clearly do not respect. No matter what you say to the contrary, you do seem to be upset that your favorite bands/artists are not as popular as the Beatles.
My quaril was not with the band, but with the media that surrounds them.
This 'celebration day' for the Beatles was nothing more than a day to hype and sell half *** material. For instance, the 'remasters' are not fully remix, making the entire point of a remaster to make the music clearer pointless.
The Beatles Rock Band release is another example.
The Beatles are continually used as a money bank,
http://www.hollywoodmegastore.com/Images/1109_John_Lennon_18_Talking_Action_Figure.jpg
"Its what John would have wanted" my ***.
There are many other bands that I feel are over praised, many that I actually like, but the level at which The Beatles are peddled to the public is of a ridiculous amount, and no one seems ready to dare question the words that are used to advertise them and make them seem so important.
And again, musical popularity is like high school popularity, its subjective to the group you are in.

I don't get what you mean here. Lyrics mean nothing to you? Or production? or what?
Actually, production is a part of the music, deeply so. Music is sounds, and bad production can ruin a song the same a bad playing tone could.
Lyrics are actually apart of literature, though I'd have to go very deep description onto my thoughts about hip-hop, about how I feel the syllables are in truth apart of the music in the same way different strokes and accents are to a drum, but that's a topic for another time xD
What I meant by that statement was that even if someone inspired you to do something initially, even if someone changes the culture surrounding something, that only the musical significance matters. Influential is not necessarily inspiring something, but changing something in the fundamentals of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAqJAfBjN8
Here we see a song that single handedly put an entire musical genre (breakcore) into legitimacy (more so in countries where electronic music is more main stream as opposed to America). It was inspired off the architecture and land of Turkey. Does that mean that the natural land of Turkey is influential to music? No, but the creator of this music is largely so.

"half *** material" meaning that they offer nothing new, or that the songs themselves are "half ***"? I haven't heard the new remasters (though I've read in several reviews that they offer amazing clarity), but if it's the latter, that's just wrong
The remasters, that is what is half *****.
Sure, compared to their old quality, they are amazing, but compared to todays standards or remastering, the quality is rather poor and the amount of work minimal.

If music is like high school, the Beatles are the coolest mother****ers around.
To your group.
I could find you several people who have never heard or could name a single Beatles song.

Excuse me? This level of ignorance?
First off, as I have stated before, popularity is in no way an argument.
Secondly, The people who you listed would have made music with, or without The Beatles.
Those bans had been playing for quite some time. Simply because The Beatles allowed America to become aware of what was going on in the British music scene does not mean they were influential. It means they were popular. All of the groups would still have made music had the invasion not occurred. In fact, if you knew your history, you would know that The Beatles were made big in America. Before their music had reached our shores, talk began about The Beatles on the radio and TV, and a huge marketing campaign was launched.
Secondly, Led Zepplin is not part of The British Invasion.
They didn't premear until 2 years after the invasion took place.

you have an opinion but your opinion is almost always odd and strange and you force it on others like your some kind of musical god. you aren't, deal with it.
Again, if you would read you would see this has nothing to do with likes, dislikes, or opinions. It has to do with bringing up many of the large misconceptions about The Beatles influence, not in culture, not in history, but in music, to which is greatly overstated.
Also, I'd rather appreciate it that you would not attack my music taste, since I have shown the same respect in this thread for The Beatles fans.

Speaking of this thread, someone tried to argue with me that The Beatles invented Ska. That was invented in Jamaica.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The Beatles were a good band. I like their music.

*waits for disapproval of my opinion*

SyOn

Smash Journeyman
Their music is ok but their movies are amazing!

Help! and Yellow Submarine are two of my favourite movies.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Wait, so it's Cirno day, Dreamcast day, Video game innovation day, AND Beatles day?

Godammit, we have to many __days today.

Also, Yellow submarine is win.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Which apparently means profiting by selling a bunch of stupid things.

I'll edit this post with a bunch of de-bunking to any thought that The Beatles are influential or did anything that hadn't been done before in music, got laundry to do.
I had a whole big rant against this thread typed out, but decided against getting into a battle over the legacy of the Beatles on the internet. I felt bad deleting it all, especially since the op seems designed as flame-baiting and trolling, but it's not worth it.

Also, in the spirit of today, I greatly look forward to the Beatles Rock Band, and will be getting it for my birthday in about a week. And it will be amazing. Rock Band is awesome, and music doesn't get much better than the Beatles. Put them together, with lots of serious input from the surviving members, as well as Yoko and Olivia Harrison, and it cannot be bad.

I won't be getting the new remastered albums though. I have all of their music except the odd song here and there already, so I'll wait to get CDs until I've got the place to store them. Maybe by then, they'll have remastered them again.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
In spite of me being a fairly avid Beatles fan, I'm not really looking forward to the Rock Band game. Such music should not be besmirched in that way. :p

Scott!

Smash Lord
First off, no music is above being touched, including the Beatles. Just because they are the greatest band to ever grace this Earth doesn't mean that their music must remain untouched and everything forever. The Rock Band game will bring the music to new ears, and to old ones in a new way. Also, the game was made with lots of input from Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia, who all approved of it. I read an article from a British paper that interviewed Paul about it. He said that he was quite hesitant towards the idea, but was convinced by the Rock Band people that it had real potential. If it were made without the approval and input of the surviving band members and the wives of those passed, then I might be more apprehensive towards it.

I also don't see how making this game is besmirching their music in any way. It's a game made to celebrate music and simulate playing it for those of us who can't actually manage. And it's fun. The game is designed to honor the Beatles and their music as well.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
*reads* Yep, still stupid stuff.

You know what's awesome about all those people that did the stuff before the Beatles? They didn't do it well enough because if they did, they would have been remembered. The Beatles were the first mainstream, well-known, and international band to do all that they did. You will be hard pressed to find a person with good music tastes that doesn't like a Beatles song. Their music appeals to a variety of individuals, and the fact that they are still popular today proves that.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The Beatles were the first mainstream, well-known, and international band to do all that they did
Which was? That they were popular?? That they were in movies?? They didn't do anything different really. They are remembered because they represent a generation, and because John Lenon was died. They got credit for doing nothing, literally. They got praised for saying "We write love songs, so all our songs our love songs." People completely ignore that that is a complete cop out.

The Beatles are remembered for being The Beatles.

And shame on you, for thinking that King Tubby, Ike Turner, Bruce Haack, and Frank Zappa aren't remembered. That's just ignorant. King Tubby is a ragge and dub legend. Frank Zappa is continually becoming a larger, and larger entity in music, and Bruce Haack has a documentary about him. Clearly they are remembered.

Scott!

Smash Lord
They did more than represent a generation and die. I'm rarely offended by what I see people write on the internet, especially about music, but your saying that the Beatles are only remembered today because John Lennon died, and that the Beatles did "nothing, literally" actually offends me. First off, they revolutionized the pop music industry. You may scoff at any and all music that, God forbid, is actually popular, but the Beatles were as huge and dominant as any band will ever be. They made albums matter, rather than just singles. They popularized the idea of concept albums with Sgt. Pepper. I'd say they created them, but you'd probably have some obscure band's album at the ready, or some revisionist history on another album by someone else. They introduced the sitar into popular music. They may not have made the first heavy rock song, but they made it popular. They did the same thing with psychedelic music. They may not have created it, but they legitimized it.

Also, you say that they "represent a generation" as something that doesn't matter. ??? They wrote music that a whole generation of people could connect with on an emotional level, and that's nothing? Isn't music in a way about connecting with the listener? Sure, so-and-so may have been the first to do some technical music thing, but they obviously weren't able to connect with the listeners in the way the Beatles could. Otherwise, we'd all know their names today. And they don't even represent just one generation. Why are they still one of the best-selling acts in music? Why were copies of their remastered albums flying off of shelves yesterday? Because people still identify with their music, 40 years on.

I could go on, but I doubt I'll get through. But know this. The Beatles made good music, made use of and popularized many musical innovations, and are deservingly remembered for it. Just because you, for whatever reason of taste or elitism, don't like them, doesn't take away from what they did.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
First off, they revolutionized the pop music industry.
That's an industry, that's not music, that's business.

You may scoff at any and all music that, God forbid, is actually popular

Because the music of Ike and Tina Turner is not popular?
Watch yourself, its horible debating to simple claim that I attack them for their popularity, and makes your side looked polarized.

They made albums matter, rather than just singles.
Music is just notes.
And The Beach Boys have more protest songs than The Beatles, incase having a 'message' is your argument for making music that 'matters'

but you'd probably have some obscure band's album at the ready
Don't assume because you have never heard of it that it must be obscure. There are other scenes out side of what you are aware mind you. King Tubby is by no means obscure, and is incredibly well known to anyone who listens to Raggee.
For instance, a little known act right now in America is Lykke Li, and then I was very surprised to see comment on a forum about how he can't go a school lunch without someone talking about how they either love or hate her. Musical popularity, like high school popularity, is only relevant.
Another example would be Aphex Twin and Dan Deacon, two huge, godly figures in Electronical right now, who those outside of electronical know close to nothing about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_7U0-cK0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFlBJ1xZK10

They may not have created it, but they legitimized it.

I always lol when I hear this.
To legitimize something is to make it viable for use, not make it to where a large portion of people actually know about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Pbyg_kcEk
Here we see Circut bending, a new technique that seemed exciting, but useless at the time this short doc was made.
Flashforward two years latter, Chris Clark makes an album based almost entirely off Circut bending, and is an incredible hit in the dance scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijE0qwusOzM
That is legitimizing something. Its taking a technique and finding a proper use for it. Its not making it popular.
Also, making something popular is not innovation mind you.

Also, you say that they "represent a generation" as something that doesn't matter. ??? They wrote music that a whole generation of people could connect with on an emotional level, and that's nothing?
In terms of innovation, yes. Its good for a history major, but it doesn't do anything to progress music.

Sure, so-and-so may have been the first to do some technical music thing, but they obviously weren't able to connect with the listeners in the way the Beatles could

Not true, because very few of these listeners expanded their listening to these techniques. How many people from this generation claim that hip-hop and drum and bass don't write music because they sample? Clearly, when they sampled, they did not reach people with the sampling. Other wise in these people eyes, it would have been legitimized.

Why are they still one of the best-selling acts in music?
Because people flock to be apart of something. Not claiming all fans, but people are pack animals by nature, and sadly, I doubt that few people who listen to any kind of music are truly listening to the music, and are just enjoying the social sense it gives us. Its why breaking into a foreign music scene can be so hard

hy were copies of their remastered albums flying off of shelves yesterday?
Because people flock to be apart of something.
And as for the remasteres, they aren't even fully remixed and remastered.

Because people still identify with their music, 40 years on.
No, because their image is still pushed 40 years on. Frank Zappa has not had any image pushed by anyone other than him, his wife, and his son, yet continues to have increasing popularity.

and are deservingly remembered for it.

No, no they aren't, because they are claimed to have innovated music, when they had done no such thing.

Just because you, for whatever reason of taste or elitism, don't like them, doesn't take away from what they did.
I have already discourage others from talking about like or dislike in this thread.
My issue is that they are claimed to be innovators, when they had done no innovating whatsoever in their music, without improving on the techniques that they wished to employ at all.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
because John Lenon was died..."We write love songs, so all our songs our love songs."
Hahahahahahahaah

I know all of the names you mentioned, but ask the general public, and they couldn't tell you a single song or even tell you anything about the people you listed.

You clearly just hate the Beatles because they are famous.

I also laughed pretty hard when I saw you say the Beatles never helped music progress. You understand without them, Rock wouldn't have maintained it's mainstream status, right? Hell, the British Invasion was STARTED by them, which has created some of the best bands ever including The Who, King Crimson (who on their own influenced more than anyone you have named, and I can assure you of that one because people like Hendrix, Vai, Yes, Kurt Cobain, Dream Theater, Coheed and Cambria, and ALL PROGRESSIVE ROCK EVER), The Animals, etc. Without the Beatles, the British Invasion would have been considerably slower moving. Here is how The Beatles got so popular. Elvis, Jerry Lee, and Little Richard were losing mainstream time, and the Beatles were for attractive guys who could sing extremely well, write extremely catchy tunes, and were able to actually play. When you combine that with a dynamic of them coming over, you can see how much they have actually advanced Rock Music. Whereas Elvis was seen as potentially evil due to his pelvis swinging, the Beatles were embraced by all, which allowed music to progress. On top of all that, The Beatles were one of the few mainstream bands to actually adapt, and they feature 3 different eras that are noticeably different.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
People flocking to something of quality needs to be seen much, much, more often.

The Beatles are ****ing awesome. Opinions beside this are annoyingly hipster-ish and nitpicky.

Sinatra'

Smash Apprentice
lol isn't Frank Zappa the guy who named his kid Moonbeam? (something like that)

and yeah the Beatles are great, I hate people that think yellow submarine is their best song, it's a pretty terrible song in my opinion, A day in the Life is where it's at man.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You understand without them, Rock wouldn't have maintained it's mainstream status, right?
Again, you talk about business and culture. Not music.
For advancing music, and not music business, they did very little.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
And you are aware that without the business aspect, music would be dead in a gutter, right?

Outside of Music Affectionados, what is played on the radio is all most people will here. If someone is able to gain that attention off the radio, its extremely rare because these people are casual/passive listeners. I have known many people who haven't heard a popular song because it wasn't played on terrestrial radio stations. How do you get to be on these stations? You get a song that the record company thinks will sell a lot of units (via iTunes nowadays). If they don't think the song will sell, they don't even bother trying.

With the Beatles, they transcending radio play with having more songs than anyone ever (look it up too) being in the top 10 and being number 1. After the Beatles made it big, they were able to bring their psychadelic rock to the top 100 charts, which was a rarity.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
why does it seem that in every music thread in here CRASHiC claims that all popular artists are bad and don't advance music/industry?

They are popular for a reason.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

Not true at all. Music existed long before it became the large business we have today. Classical music did not fall out of style, it has the same listening pool as it had many years ago. Back then, musicians were not supported by patrons. Music flourished then, without the billions of people in the music industry today. Back then, music was supported by the nobles as patrons to musicians. Also, your point does in no way disprove my point that The Beatles were in fact not influential to music, but rather to music business

First off, I have said nothing about good or bad in this thread. I am showing that The Beatles did not 'shape modern music' as a lot of people blindly claim.
Secondly, Ike Turner and Tina Turner are not popular?
And I suppose you'd say the same thing about Damon Albarn and Aphex Twin in today's music too :L
Popularity is in no way an argument for a bands quality, originality, or influence in music any more than it is against it.
In fact, not only have I discouraged others from talking and arguing about taste in this thread, but I myself have been attacked for an opinion on which I had not even stated.
As seen below-
Any claims that The Beatles have influenced and changed music are simply unfounded and wrong.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
That last bit wasn't addressed to anyone in particular - but I do apologize. My fault.

Honestly, my serious reaction here is:

lolwhut

and yeah the Beatles are great, I hate people that think yellow submarine is their best song, it's a pretty terrible song in my opinion, A day in the Life is where it's at man.
*nod*

It's fun, but who are these crazy people calling it their best song? Kindergartners?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

If you can't acknowledge that the business aspect of music is just as important today as it was in the 50s, then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I meant long, long ago, before the music business. The days of Mozart and Beethoven.
And even then,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZazEM8cgt0
And even then, music can survive and thrive without the business aspect, as it had before record companies.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors

Back then, musicians were not supported by patrons. Music flourished then, without the billions of people in the music industry today. Back then, music was supported by the nobles as patrons to musicians.

Any claims that The Beatles have influenced and changed music are simply unfounded and wrong.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
There's no way you can actually believe this. This is just ignorant.

Many (all?) of your points are that "The Beatles weren't the first to do _____" That may be so, but it doesn't mean that they haven't been influential to the world of music. The number of bands influenced by the Beatles is countless. To say otherwise is "simply wrong."

Brian Wilson on what influenced him to make Pet Sounds (a great album which in turn inspired the Beatles):

"I really wasn't quite ready for the unity. It felt like it all belonged together. Rubber Soul was a collection of songs ... that somehow went together like no album ever made before, and I was very impressed. I said, "That's it. I really am challenged to do a great album."

I'm also rather intrigued that you would create a topic about a band you clearly do not respect. No matter what you say to the contrary, you do seem to be upset that your favorite bands/artists are not as popular as the Beatles.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
What about the statement? It says that previously, musicians were supported by rich patrons who payed for them to be musicians. Its the same for painters and writers of the age.

Many (all?) of your points are that "The Beatles weren't the first to do _____" That may be so, but it doesn't mean that they haven't been influential to the world of music.
I also pointed out that not only where they not the first to do something, but that they also did not legitimize it or advance the said technique.

The number of bands influenced by the Beatles is countless. To say otherwise is "simply wrong."
I highly doubt this. The Beatles are a gravy train, and to say you were inspired by The Beatles is a very good marketing ploy. Also, while you may be inspired to write music by someone, that does not necissary mean that your music is at all influenced by them.

I bring you Animal Collective, who the members said in an interview that they were inspired to make music by Michale Jackson's Thriller, which is about as far from their music catalog as you can get. Someone may spark your interest in something, but it does not mean they were an influence on your work.
For reference, this is Animal Collective, whose sound is much more folk and Beach Boys driven than anything put out by Michale Jackson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_leV7zskgw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxhaRgJUMl8
Here we see that despite the group's initial interest in Michale Jackson, there music (music being the only thing that matters in music) is in no way inspired by his works.
Also, inspiring people to make music doesn't make you influential to music itself. The structure of music must be changed in some manner, and nearly all of these 'first' (none of which were actually first) that The Beatles introduced were either already established in music, or see no use in the rock or pop genres that they are so hailed for pioneering.

This 'celebration day' for the Beatles was nothing more than a day to hype and sell half *** material. For instance, the 'remasters' are not fully remix, making the entire point of a remaster to make the music clearer pointless.
http://www.hollywoodmegastore.com/Images/1109_John_Lennon_18_Talking_Action_Figure.jpg
There are many other bands that I feel are over praised, many that I actually like, but the level at which The Beatles are peddled to the public is of a ridiculous amount, and no one seems ready to dare question the words that are used to advertise them and make them seem so important.
And again, musical popularity is like high school popularity, its subjective to the group you are in.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This 'celebration day' for the Beatles was nothing more than a day to hype and sell half *** material.
Just as fun point of irony, one of my favorite Beatles quotes is:

"Let's write a swimming pool."

Snail

Smash Lord
I believe that the Beatles, along with the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, fostered an atmosphere of a progressive attitude in popular music which, along with the whole period of art-as-rock, influenced some to push the form forward. They may have inspired people to become musicians, form bands and make music - even if you can't hear the Beatles influence, they must've inspired a ton of bands and musicians all over the world.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Somebody is apparently out to get The Beatles. Next it's going to be Elvis.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Back then, musicians were not supported by patrons.
crashic said:
Back then, music was supported by the nobles as patrons to musicians.
I guess this is subjective, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree here.

This doesn't make sense to me. I've never heard of a band using their influence/inspiration as a tactic to market themselves (unless, of course, they are a tribute band). I'll concede the point that your band may not sound like your inspiration, but the fact that there is a well-known term used to describe music that sounds like the Beatles ("Beatlesque") seems to go against your point.

(music being the only thing that matters in music)
I don't get what you mean here. Lyrics mean nothing to you? Or production? or what?

You seem to have a very narrow, steadfast definition of "influential" that doesn't seem to be shared with most people in this topic, myself included.

"half *** material" meaning that they offer nothing new, or that the songs themselves are "half ***"? I haven't heard the new remasters (though I've read in several reviews that they offer amazing clarity), but if it's the latter, that's just wrong. Also, I (along with many other Beatles fans) have been pumped for Beatles: Rock Band since I heard it was getting made. I get to play my favorite band's songs on one of my favorite video games? Sounds great!

Yes, they are a popular band and, sadly, popular things tend to get merchandised. The Beatles are an important, influential band. If music is like high school, the Beatles are the coolest mother****ers around.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Actually, production is a part of the music, deeply so. Music is sounds, and bad production can ruin a song the same a bad playing tone could.
Lyrics are actually apart of literature, though I'd have to go very deep description onto my thoughts about hip-hop, about how I feel the syllables are in truth apart of the music in the same way different strokes and accents are to a drum, but that's a topic for another time xD
What I meant by that statement was that even if someone inspired you to do something initially, even if someone changes the culture surrounding something, that only the musical significance matters. Influential is not necessarily inspiring something, but changing something in the fundamentals of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAqJAfBjN8
Here we see a song that single handedly put an entire musical genre (breakcore) into legitimacy (more so in countries where electronic music is more main stream as opposed to America). It was inspired off the architecture and land of Turkey. Does that mean that the natural land of Turkey is influential to music? No, but the creator of this music is largely so.

"half *** material" meaning that they offer nothing new, or that the songs themselves are "half ***"? I haven't heard the new remasters (though I've read in several reviews that they offer amazing clarity), but if it's the latter, that's just wrong
The remasters, that is what is half *****.
Sure, compared to their old quality, they are amazing, but compared to todays standards or remastering, the quality is rather poor and the amount of work minimal.

If music is like high school, the Beatles are the coolest mother****ers around.
To your group.
I could find you several people who have never heard or could name a single Beatles song.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
crashic is dumb. you say can find a group of people who have never heard a beatles song. thats great, i can find billions of people who have never heard of your artists. you dont like a popular band but these people started the brittish invasion which is one of the strongest points for music ever. bands like the beatles, led zeppelin, the who, and the rolling stones etc. came from that period and unfortunately for you they're more popular than dan deacon aand your other bands that are obscure and random. i just got beatles rock band and have started to aprecciate the beatles all over again because they're amazing. you have an opinion but your opinion is almost always odd and strange and you force it on others like your some kind of musical god. you aren't, deal with it.
btw i know this a little old but i cant stand to see ignorance of this level left unnoticed and i feel this needs to be brought back to life

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Excuse me? This level of ignorance?
First off, as I have stated before, popularity is in no way an argument.
Secondly, The people who you listed would have made music with, or without The Beatles.
Those bans had been playing for quite some time. Simply because The Beatles allowed America to become aware of what was going on in the British music scene does not mean they were influential. It means they were popular. All of the groups would still have made music had the invasion not occurred. In fact, if you knew your history, you would know that The Beatles were made big in America. Before their music had reached our shores, talk began about The Beatles on the radio and TV, and a huge marketing campaign was launched.
Secondly, Led Zepplin is not part of The British Invasion.
They formed in Seatle.
They didn't premear until 2 years after the invasion took place.

you have an opinion but your opinion is almost always odd and strange and you force it on others like your some kind of musical god. you aren't, deal with it.
Again, if you would read you would see this has nothing to do with likes, dislikes, or opinions. It has to do with bringing up many of the large misconceptions about The Beatles influence, not in culture, not in history, but in music, to which is greatly overstated.
Also, I'd rather appreciate it that you would not attack my music taste, since I have shown the same respect in this thread for The Beatles fans.

Speaking of this thread, someone tried to argue with me that The Beatles invented Ska. That was invented in Jamaica.

Scott!

Smash Lord
@Logan: Hey, lay off the flaming. Crashic is entitled to his beliefs, even if you feel that they are as wrong as the idea that the sun goes around the earth. Doesn't make him dumb. He clearly knows a lot about music, and while the conclusions that knowledge has led him to are unconventional, there's no need to be like that. He's been respectful of the Beatles fans here, as he says.

That said, I still have to disagree with Crashic's conclusions. I don't see how one can argue that the British Invasion, which the Beatles led, was not influential to music. The direction of American music was altered significantly, not least because it knocked out a lot of American bands. The main survivors of the invasion were the Beach Boys and the Four Seasons. The Beach Boys were influenced by the Beatles themselves as well, or rather, the two bands influenced each other. I think it was Rubber Soul that Brian Wilson says motivated him to write Pet Sounds, and Paul McCartney has said similar things about Pet Sounds itself and its role in inspiring Sgt. Pepper. So there's a recorded, known influence over American music that The Beatles had.

Also, I'd make an argument that music's popularity has a strong effect on its influence on music. If a band writes a revolutionary album that experiments and uses new techniques, but no one ever hears it, that doesn't make it influential. Popularity is an integral part of influence. You say that The Beatles were made popular in America by a large pre-arrival publicity campaign, and you suggest that this in some way diminishes their influence. Also, I think their music was here, being played, but it was when they themselves came to America for the first time as a band that Beatlemania really kicked off. But what it comes down to is that, for a band to have a significant, lasting influence on music, they have to be heard. Sure, the bands in Britain may still have made their music without the Beatles, but would they have made it big? Maybe, maybe not. But to say that The Beatles bringing lots of British music to America is insignificant because someone would have have done it anyway is a terrible argument. It's like saying that Edison is insignificant in history because someone would have come up with his inventions someday anyway.

Disclaimer: if this is disjointed, irrational, or otherwise gravely flawed, just look at the time of posting, and remember that I'm on EST. I should not be awake right now.

Also, if Ska was invented in Jamaica, the The Beatles must have been there, of course. :)

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
sorry i agree you are entitled to your opinion and thats fine i was just frustrated cause i love the beatles. and led zeppelin was part of the brittish invasion and i will bet my life they didn't form in seattle. maybe your thinking of pearl jam, or nirvana or some other great band to come out of seattle but led zeppelin was definitely part of the brittish invasion.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Actually he is right about that. They played their first gig (as Led Zeppelin) in England, as well as their first gig in the US, in 1968, two years after the British Invasion was over. The Yardbirds, which were one of Zep's precursors, could be considered part of the Invasion, however.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
woops yeah i was thinking the yardbirds but they definitely werent formed in seattle

Top Bottom