• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Smash or not to Smash

A_man13

Smash Master
Link to original post: [drupal=3160]To Smash or not to Smash[/drupal]

Alright, NO this is not some crazy wacko Hamlet ripoff in which Hamlet is really Mario, Claudius is really the ever wicked and always doing boarderline illegal things Meta Knight, and blah blah blah (though that would be interesting). This was just an idea that I was wrestling with and just need to put this in text.

For starters, I may as well give some background info. I joined SWF about the time brawl came out hoping that I'd be able to improve my ability (and, if I wasn't going to be playing Pokemon competetivly, this was my next option). It took me maybe about to my first KO to realize that I was going to suck and have very little shot of improving. This turned out to be true as, even to this day, winning is almost a downright improbability in a competetive field and I've only improved slightly from then until today. After a while, I got sick of trying and, for one reason or another, found myself at the artwork emporium. There, I was inspired seeing all of these great GFX artists and, within about a week, set up a sig shop making signatures for the masses. It took maybe getting that first request done to invigorate me, but once it did my time on here jumped up tenfold. It was pretty much every second of every day not spent at school or doing homework. My parents, while not enthralled that I was back in the hole I had dug myself into with the pokemon, did enjoy the fact that I was not playing video games all the time and actually doing something with somewhat of a real world value.

It was not such a big deal until I hit the school year. My grades, while usually very strong, did not start out at such a peak and, instead, they were average. I forgot assignments, I didn't study much for tests, all of it just piled up in front of me. I knew I spent too much time on here, but I couldn't stop. I admitably have an obsessive personallity as in, if my mind is dead set on something, I'll do it until the day I die if I was let be. However, on the same note there was nothing besides school and family beconing me out of my hole. I've skipped two grades in school and, while I'd say I have a close group of friends, a majority of the people I socialize with get assignment help from me durring school and usually cut their association the second school is over. And even with that close group of friends, I live far away from my high school, have no relyable form of transportation to and from that neighborhood (I'm only 15), and the closest being who was even near my age was my brother (who is as much addicted to shooting games, history, and football as I hate shooters, history, and football). GFX and smash quickly filled the void, but my responsabilities started to suffer as a result.

For those of you who might have known me back then, you probably knew that I took my leave around this time last year. In case you guys were wondering why I quit here, AiB, chats, and all of that, here's why; my grades had dropped down to a critical level. The same day I quit, I had just missed a correction deadline for a paper that I did meh on and I knew that I had forgot. In addition, there was a lot of presentations that, for one reason or another, made me feel guilty for letting SWF consume me. Not only that, but that was the first time the Custom Pokemon Shop (Nowerdays Poket monsters Inc., but the shop's posts are still there) closed down; an event of which I feel was one of the main causes of. All of this happened within a 24 hour period and, after a brief time to think about it, I removed all favorites that were related to my obsessions, cleared the saved passwords, and deleted all the remnants from that year.

Now, here is where the issue is starting to come into play; recently I've been getting back into smash and, just this weekend, I logged back in for the first time in about a year. I still suck as bad as I used to, but it's nice to see some of the old faces from way back when. While this weekend has been fun, I do not want to start neglecting responsabilities over a game. It destroyed me last time to try and juggle two different passions that, frankly, I could not get to cooperate, but at the same time Brawl and GFX are two things I'm passionate about. I hate to create that disconect between my real life and this, but at the same time what besides schoolwork and family am I really missing if I stay active? Should I continue doing something that I am super pasionate about but, frankly, would at best get me $50 assuming I actually become good and otherwise have no positive affects on my future or should I go back to my dull dull life and not let my schoolwork drop? I tried last time to coinside the two, but I know it won't work. One might say that I need to go back to normal every day life, but cutting the many friendships was hard before when I actually had a reason and not pre-empted reasons like I do now. Is the fun I have and would have had here worth sacrificing my grades for? Will I want to re-insert myself in the community at a later date because I love SSBB (and, to appease the plague of comments that this may bring up, SSBM) and quitting those games all together would be an imposibility (and for every match I'm playing "with anyone" battle is one match more I want to play with a competent opponent)? To smash or not to smash; that is the question.

Thanks for reading this horribly lengthy post. Stare at signature if you were expecting GFX in the post like the others have.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
LOL at trying at bralw sorry but it's more mental than anything esle.

But all you need is self-control tomorrow don't even log on to your computer do what you need to do because you will hate yourself if you keep F***ing up. But there is only to gain by being on smash boards less, think do homework junk good and then SBs your done with homework and it isn't like your homework takes 3 hours every night, and when posting it only takes so long it's not to hard you just need more self control .

I've been like that before

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, self-control will help a lot. I'm honestly in this position myself, and I KNOW I need to get a grip on things before I even start thinking about Smash or other videogames.

Besides, the Smash communities aren't going to miss their members if they've got more rewarding stuff to do anyway. I'm not entirely sure that any of'em care regardless of the reason.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You want my true, honest opinion?

Don't smash. Seriously. If your classes drop you'll hate yourself. Even with self-control, you could always do better in your classes than when you start playing Brawl.

A_man13

Smash Master
LOL at trying at bralw sorry but it's more mental than anything esle.

But all you need is self-control tomorrow don't even log on to your computer do what you need to do because you will hate yourself if you keep F***ing up. But there is only to gain by being on smash boards less, think do homework junk good and then SBs your done with homework and it isn't like your homework takes 3 hours every night, and when posting it only takes so long it's not to hard you just need more self control .

I've been like that before
The problem with that is then I rush through homework should the distraction be present. Even if it was just a math problem, the fact that it's there is reason enough to cause me to up the tempo, finish it even if it means sacrificing qualaty, and go to the distraction. Yup, definetly sounds like my self control is the issue.

That isn't the main reason I feel this way, though. It's guilt more than anything else. Even this weekend I notice I felt guilty for even deciding "Y'know what? I'm in the mood to play a couple of rounds with a competent foe. I don't think "with anyone" will be good enough" and everything afterwards is a trip further down the rabbit hole. ANYTHING on the computer has been causing me to feel that, though, so I feel like the site alone isn't the problem, but the fact that I'm doing it so much is causing my guilt. Letting myself get sucked into anything is the one thing I want to avoid at all costs, but at the same time it's the one thing I always end up doing, no matter how hard I try and what barriers I put up.

Geist

Smash Master
With all honesty, focus on school before Smash. If you're having self control issues, its better to drop it and think long term. Of course if you manage your time there would be no reason you couldn't do both. Just remember that leisure comes later.

On the alternative of you actually playing smash, I want to say that attitude is everything. If you don't think you'll improve, you won't. Look at the best person in the world at anything. Its not like they were born with those skills.

A_man13

Smash Master
I'm agreeing with everyone up to this point. Honestly, gameing has always played second priority unless I let it get in the way and, when it does, good luck getting a glimpse of me for the next few days. Finding balence is just such a hard thing for me to do, though, so it might just mean I call it quits and limit my "with live opponents" matches (wifi or local) to whenever someone has the game and looking for someone to play.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think/play smash 30% of my day I can easily switch my focus like I can go from deeply thinking about melee tactics like I have a notebook of tactics and ideas that I work on before class I think it's safe to say i'm a little deeper/nerdier about smash than you but I can control my thoughts a little better.

A_man13

Smash Master
Thing is; I don't think about smash all day long. I like the game, but I'm not addicted to it (unlike pokemon, which even after I've really said "I quit" to the competetive sceen I think tactics with it all the time). Honestly the guilt of logging in is the main reason I'm pushing to leave since, even if I was logged on for one second and had A+ in all of my clases that would soil the 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds because it feels like there are more productive things to do with my time. This weekend I was on a whole lot and, while I had enough self control to work on homework and projects this morning, one hour long burst of HW energy out of three days (long weekend) of doing very little but lurking is not a good sign. Especially with the last six week streach of my most important semester of my educational career having an ACT, 3 AP tests, and Finals, letting something as dumb as a game get in the way is, well, dumb.

zifn15

Smash Cadet
I say smash and this is why. In the real world (like the whole job thing and junk), you will need to balance fun and work. You need both (fun to keep sane and work to pay for it) so you might as well learn that skill now while in school. You can make mistakes in school and still do really well in life.

Kmar

Smash Rookie
Make your parents help you form a balance. While they'd love for you to not play any video games at all, they'd probably understand if you explained to them that you were trying to teach yourself some discipline. Tell them to only let you play smash after all your homework is done. You can make up any rule to help keep the balance.

You're a little young, but I find that girlfriends help get your mind off of games too. Especially a nerdy one that will study with you and therefore motivate you to study... lol.

Also, I think that pursuing graphic art is a great and productive hobby if not career choice. If you're into it, you should consider taking some classes at a local community college or art academy.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
i think you should SMASH. maybe get an organizer and set up specific times for homework, video games, comp, gfx,etc. make sure you write down important due dates for school projects. play it by ear, if you notice you're slipping, get a better grip-ie put down the controller, pick up the pencil.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
You should play smash! Forget about school, play smash, drop out, and work at McDonalds for the rest of your life. Sounds fun, right?

There's really no option other than to quit smash right away and get your **** together.

So quit smash right away and get your **** together.

Can I get an amen?

D

Deleted member

Given your passion for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, quitting it cold turkey isn't really recommended.

However, that's not to say that you should spend all day playing it. As a matter of fact, I have a suggestion.

Do important stuffs before playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You know, homework, studying for tests, doing school projects, etc. Try waiting until you get all your chores done and eat dinner before playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Also, I suggest quitting playing the game on a compeative level. You probably suck at it so why try to enter competitions of a game that you aren't good at?

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
You know, I was just like you last year. Granted, I was using the game as a way to escape from my depression, but it was having similar effects on my life.

Moving on, my advice: quit playing the game by yourself. In my book, this includes wifi matches. Save it for actual events, like tourneys and smashfests. This way, there is a clear, well-defined line between smash and your daily life. You might actually improve faster using this method, as you won't run the risk of stagnating by playing the same people/people at a much lower level than you.

Top Bottom