• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Sheik Mains interested in Zelda ..

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I am a Zelda main, but sometimes I mess around with sheik for fun.
I would like to learn her better, and so I am looking for a sheik main to train me.

What I propose is this.. you help me with my sheik, and I'll help you with your zelda.

This doesn't need to be high maintenance.. anywhere from once a week to once a month.
Preferably have aim or yahoo messenger or something to make this easier, and we can shoot each other a message now and then to see if it's a good time.

If I can beat you sheik vs sheik, then you have no business trying to help me.. and vice versa if you can beat me zelda vs zelda I have no bussiness trying to help you either, so playing against each other seem like a good starting point to feel out each others abilities and see if the arrangement is something we would be mutually interested in.

Basically we can play each other, offer tips or advice and answer each others questions.
Also we can volunteer information about the little nuances and tips that you only learn by maining a character.

I could possibly do this with more than one person as well, since different points of view and playing styles may yield more helpful results.

And finally.. I am east coast US, which I mention for possible time zone differences.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Sheik and Zelda are both very simplistic characters with little actually technical abilities to speak of as such I would imagine it would be very difficult to actually teach someone how to use that character without implanting your own fighting style within your teachings.

For example usually when I’m using Zelda Fair or Bair I like to use the neutral B to help keep my opponent at bay even if they shield the kick but someone like yourself may think the dsmash would be better option for that for X reasons.

To make some actually note worthy progress with a character’s like Sheik or Zelda it is more important to know the faults of your enemy character over knowing the abilities of your own.

ZZZZ

Smash Rookie
To make some actually note worthy progress with a character’s like Sheik or Zelda it is more important to know the faults of your enemy character over knowing the abilities of your own.
That is true that you need to learn the faults of your enemy but you need to learn how to counter their moves with moves of your own

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Sheik and Zelda are both very simplistic characters with little actually technical abilities to speak of as such I would imagine it would be very difficult to actually teach someone how to use that character without implanting your own fighting style within your teachings.
I've actually thought of Zelda as one of the more technical characters in the game, so it's interesting to hear you say that.

I do know what you're saying about different fighting styles, but plainly speaking there is also the application of moves in general. The uses I have seen for her teleport alone are pretty numerous, but just because you show somebody all of those doesn't mean they are going to apply that knowledge in the same manner.

In your opinion, what makes Zelda a simplistic character?

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
hrm... well sfoster, imo zelda is only not "simplistic" if you're not good with your spacing. Her lightning kicks and up b both require lots of spacing, as well as the AoE of her din fire. I'm no zelda expert.. but as a sheik player i like to see how it is on the other side of the pond. I'd like to say zelda is "simplistic" only because her smashes just rack up lots and lots of damage. Not many technical things there... just the basics that are required for every character, spacing and knowing how to properly use her moves. *shrugs*

Same goes for sheik, sheik can rack up damage but in a more simplistic manner with her tilts. IMO, you don't need a sheik "tutor" to learn how to play sheik, you just have to mess a round a little and experiment with which tilts give the knock back you like. However, usually a zelda player would win a sheik player... it seems to me that zelda's up smash has priority over any move sheik has while airborne and can kill a sheik at 60% with her Uair... that's just redonculous xD

acojan

Smash Apprentice
yeah --- i miss the old sheik but there is nothin we can do about it ------ the new sheik would work wonders if only the transformation time didn't take 2 years >_< !!!

why couldn't it be like pokemon trainer's down-b !!! god ! ----- stupid nintendo *kicks wii* OMG SRY !!!!

ZeldaDestiny

Smash Rookie
A s a Zelda main, and a sheik second, there's a few things i can tell you;

Shiek is totally ownage on heavier characters.

ftilt ftilt ftilt, uptilt, rpeat 2-4 time, ftilt fitlt fsmash= dead bowser/Dk/Ike/dedede/fox/falco/wolf/pit

Monkey slap , while nerfed is freaking fast, you will hit most he time, and if they do air dodge it, use that as an oppotunity to tilt spam.

for lighter characters switch to Zelda

Zelda BEST moves are upsmash and din's fire, annd you should spam them as much as posible, except agaisnt Jiggly, dedede(shiek his butt), kirby and peach.

for those chatracters, Zelda's fsmash and upsmash are you only options, literally,

ZeldaDestiny

Smash Rookie
A s a Zelda main, and a sheik second, there's a few things i can tell you.

Shiek is totally ownage on heavier characters.

ftilt ftilt ftilt, uptilt, rpeat 2-4 time, ftilt fitlt fsmash= dead bowser/Dk/Ike/dedede/fox/falco/wolf/pit

Monkey slap , while nerfed is freaking fast, you will hit most he time, and if they do air dodge it, use that as an oppotunity to tilt spam.

for lighter characters switch to Zelda

Zelda BEST moves are upsmash and din's fire, annd you should spam them as much as posible, except agaisnt Jiggly, dedede(shiek his butt), kirby and peach.

for those chatracters, Zelda's fsmash and upsmash are you only options, literally,
oopos that was susppoed ot be an edit.

Also don;t count on Online play to determine who is better, I could probably beat you with R.O.B. or IKe online, and lsoe to you with zelda and shiek, BUT on site, I'd more liekly lose with R.O.B and Ike and win with zelda nd shiek. this is because with Z/S timing is Far more importtant, and the inconisestant lag on Brawl online really takes a toll. And don;t wanna sound mean, but if you;re only playing Z/S online, or against the computer, you probably don;t know waht you;re doing for timing in on site play..

Trust me on Melee i spent 4 years getting Really Fing good agaisnt the computer, but even though I could take out 3 level 9 almost anythings with marth or Zelda/Shiek, I had to spend three YEARS in on site play to get up to acceptable tournamnt level, and stil; am not WINNING at any tournaments.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
it seems to me that zelda's up smash has priority over any move sheik has while airborne and can kill a sheik at 60% with her Uair... that's just redonculous xD
What you've said is true for zelda when she is fighting against tons of characters.
it's not just sheik - you can't come down on zelda from above unless you're G&W, yoshi, link or TL

U-Air is a tough one, but it won't kill sheik at 60% unless she is airborne (yes it's possible to downfall u-air and land this move against ppl standing on the ground)

zelda's fair and bair both require sweet spots to become effective, but there are certain setups that will almost ensure you land it.

Mostly, it's just that there are a tons of quirks associated with all 3 of her special attacks.
FW has so many situational applications, as well as nayru's love (for example, you can use it to avoid pikachu's lightening and have it damage pikachu instead)

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
well foster, you just proved you don't need to learn how to play as sheik ;]
hmm, maybe you're right.
my zelda keeps getting better and I could probably just stick it out with her.

squid - haha sorry my zelda gave your sheik so many problems
they were fun games tho

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Ok - I still want to learn sheik.
Yesterday I canceled my transformation into sheik and did a teleport instead as Zelda.

I need to figure out how I did it, but that fact that it's possible to feign transformations makes the move a lot more unpredictable - and therefore possible to safely pull off with mindgames. So sheik seems like a good addition.

So I am still calling pro sheiks!
My Zelda is very good.. and if you don't think she is a very technical character that means you don't know enough about her yet.

Her moveset is extremely deep.. after hundreds of hours I am still discovering new things, some of which I have kept secret for myself and not posted :p

Top Bottom