• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Ness players--do you main Ness?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Do you main Ness or not?

I main Samus, then Ness, Falco, Bowser, Zelda, everybody else not mentioned, then DK and Roy are my worst.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I used to main Ness, but then I realised I was much better with Peach, but I use Ness a lot more.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I do main Ness, though I've been working on figuring out a secondary. The problem is, I'm way too used to DJC, so it'll probably have to be the yoshi. Though, I do love the cap'n, even if I play him completely wrong.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
He's probably my 2nd best overall, after Zelda. Other characters I play sometimes: Mewtwo, G+w, Kirby, Link, Peach, Jigglypuff. My worst, in no particular order: Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, DK, Roy, Pikachu.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
I used to main Ness, but then I realised I was much better with Peach, but I use Ness a lot more.
ME TOO!!
exactly like you

I do main Ness, though I've been working on figuring out a secondary. The problem is, I'm way too used to DJC, so it'll probably have to be the yoshi. Though, I do love the cap'n, even if I play him completely wrong.
really? i have a hard time djc-ing with yoshi because the timing is that much different. great call, as they differ substantially, i think a side-by-side mechanics discussion is merited -- yoshi becomes twice as heavy (baika no jutsu!!) and stops/drops immediately upon midair attack. ness' djc d.i. seems more straightforward because yoshi can also change direction midair. plus ness has pkthunder '3rd jump' recovery or airdodge vs. yoshi's eggs (broken tier eggs ftw!!) or airdodge recovery. or down+b BROING HUP ledgegrab ^^

mewtwo feels very similar to ness as far as djc.

starvingartist

Smash Cadet
I main Ness but lately I have been trying to find a second just to pull out to throw people who know I main Ness. I've been working with Sheik and I like her but lately I have been trying out Captain Falcon and playing him is a lot of fun. But I always feel most at home when I am back playing my Ness.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
I feel so betrayed. I can only hope that Simna at least stands with me, holding to the ideal that giant headed psychics deserve maining!

As for the other DJC guys, you're right that mewtwo feels similar, but the strategy behind it is just too different for me to adjust to. I'm horrible at the dodgy playstyle that suits mewtwo, whereas the more aggressive yoshi style fits me. Plus, I'm a whiz at aiming broken tier eggs =D.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Bah, I like to win more than please Ness communtiys Egos ;)

Marth and Luigi are my mains,
Ness is the low tier main.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
Sheik is the main, but I do use Ness when I'm playing someone that I know I can beat. It's kind of used as a guise for m y Sheik. Otherwise, I play Ness almost every non-competitive match.

_clinton

Smash Master
Well I like Ness (I have had EB for over 10 years and that is why I got into SSB in the first place) however I want to be good with everyone not just one guy, which is why I use Random.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
Main'd Ness from SSB.

Sure I'm no good, but it still counts doesn't it?

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Of course it does.

Maining Ness automatically adds 3 to your psychic powers.

But if more people mained him, they'd know that already.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I never understood why Nintendo changed Ness so much from smash 64 to melee. Nobody (that went pro) used him anyways (look at smashwiki). Kinda sad considering he is considered top tier in that game. I wish I was better than simna so I could own all the annoying waveshining foxes in my area.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Step 1: DJC fair->WD grab
Step 2: up throw
Step 3: DJC uairs to the max! *insert 80's music*
Step 4: Iinstead of uairing until they escape, finish with bair or bat.

Optional steps: counterpick jungle japes, fthrow from center. Better hope they're good at teching! / pk thunder from directly below the platform they're on! / Kick them while they're recovering! Physically. In real life. Hard.

And Ness got changed because: they weakened all throws, his spike would still be broken as a meteor (Imagine just spamming it at the edge to edgeguard). PK thunder should've gotten something for the loss in power and distance, though. Like piercing one opponent, or the ball having more damage. Alas, maybe he'll get it improved in brawl. (When he gets confirmed, we are so having a big old good thread on how to bring him back into the mix. Hopefully GDC!)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Except all these foxes know how to waveshine... no matter how you DI... or the person turns out to be in the top 20 ranked smashers in the world. God, I hate this area.... unless I start pwning them!

BTW: Ness won't be in brawl. If you look at the wikipedia (not smash one) of melee you'll see he wasn't supposed to be in melee and mother 3 is out in japan... And pk thunder got a lot in melee. Look at the advanced tactics for it, half of them you can't do in 64 (although pk thunder is no longer ledge cancelable)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
not that i doubt you, but that is WIKIPEDIA. i could go edit it and say that this guy named annoying1359 is going to be in Brawl.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Yeah, the source that says that is in japanese so I'm kinda screwed... Mabye the starmen.net (fan crazy ness site) forums have something.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
FOX SHINE GUIDE usa/japan version

Fox’s shine on Mario, Doctor Mario, Marth, Ice Climbers, Ness and Luigi “MDMINL group of DI whores”:

In this group, these characters go rather far, making some of combos I said before almost useless.
By the way, Luigi cannot be comboed at all. Which isn't that bad of a thing since you can at least stop him from grabbing you and shine spikes (explained later on) completely ruin his recovery.
Combos that work:
Aerial to shine (of course)
Waveshine to dashed jc grab
Waveshine to dash attack
Waveshine to downsmash
Waveshine to upsmash (perfect wavedash)
Waveshine to d-tilt/ f-tilt
Waveshine to drillshine (perfect wavedash or dashed short hop forward)
Fox Pillar

NOTICE: DIing away ruins these combos (except the fox pillar against a wall since it doesnt matter on distance). They go far enough without the DI, and with it, they are untouchable to all if you dont do a pefrect wavedash. If they DI downward (for whatever crazy reason), take advantage of this since they're easier to combo...but I've never seen this happen.

TAKE NOTE
combos that work on EVERY character
:
-dashed waveshine to upsmash
however "The problem there is that it can be teched or rolled/getup attacked/gotten up from before the usmash can connect." quoted by Omnigamer.
-dashed shine to upsmash (upsmash right out of the shine- combination of dashed shine, jc shine, upsmash)
"This method hits them before they even hit the ground, so no escaping." quoted by Omnigamer
props to omni!
Obviously, it has something to do with the momentum of the dash.
-dashed shine that's jump-cancelled into a grab works
"It's the same concept as the dashed shine into a u-smash. Nobody can get out of that."
props to FastFox ^_^
Conclusion: If you get shined, DI away. If fox is dashing, get the hell off the ground. Also, you did not give reasons why kicking doesn't work.

And wikipedia says Ness wasn't supposed to be in smash at all. Mother 3 was going to be a N64 game, but since that didn't happen, Ness made it in. The fact that he's been in both smash games means he will very likely be in.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I guess I'm DI'ing properly then... It seems like it though. I guess I shouldn't be chaingrabbed by sheik either, right?

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Up to a certain percent, you're stuck. I dunno, shiek is a tough subject with me. I can usually beat the shieks that chaingrab me, just because they've focused too much on that aspect of the gameplay, so when I escape and jump away from a fair, I wreck them with berserking until they kill me so they can cg again. The ones that don't chaingrab know how to set up to the fair, and demolish me. But I think the word was DI up, and once you've past 40%, you need to DJ an airdodge asap. I haven't been up against a shiek to try that though, since they've been replaced by space animals for the most part.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Ness is too cool for school yo

But I don't main him, I main CF, he's been my boy since 64. Blue-Rupee (crewmate) mains Ness, Marth, and a buncha other people, but mostly Ness

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Internet...screeching...to halt....must....reveal....EB...

Show me....your....moooo...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
thesage, I'll talk to ya' tommorow, as you may notice I have posted in each new thread here. :ohwell:

Phew... man I'm exhausted.

_clinton

Smash Master
thesage
"EB is one of the greatest games ever made"

Yes, Yes it is.

Top Bottom