• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To many Yoshi Haters

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi:
Yoshi. is. (Still.) the. worst. All moves have been nerfed, it seems. Still no recovery. No DJC makes him to slow and easy to kill. Without DI Airdodging, he's a joke.
Edit 1: His double jump has half as many juggernaut frames as melee, however, he can use his UB two times. His Uair, and Bair have no lag on landing, and the Bair does pretty sick damage. The Fsmashes range was decreased, but it will ko at around 110% all in all. +2.0
Power: 5
Combo ability: 5
Speed: 5
Knockback: 4
Weight: 5
Recovery: 3
Rating: 3/10

This is posted in the Gen. Brawl forums and I'm very unhappy with it. The only thing I have heard about Yoshi is that he got BETTER. I don't know if he is really that bad which i doubt but if he is there is no way I'm playing Brawl.

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
So your not getting brawl because one character is messed up??? ......K....? Yoshi was my main in melee and it is sad to se him be treated so badly if it is true but no matter what Im getting brawl. Just learn how to be good with a diffrent character. Im taking up Kind Dedede. Ill still give yoshi a try though.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Yeah, I know that a lot of people hate Yoshi. Honestly, imo, he's screwed because he's a advance techinque character. Most people wanted character that could attack others blind folded. Yoshi can't do that, and just like Ice Climbers, he was looked badly upon.

Yoshi is also a character that takes a lot of time to learn. He had many things that worked against him, but they all could be avoided. Except for his laggy attacks and poor hit boxes.

Now, I'll admit. Not everyone is skilled with Yoshi. Everyone shouldn't use him if he just doesn't suit there fighting style. But people can't really say a character sucks, just because they can't use them. It THEM that suck with using that character, not entirely the character's fault.

However, if they hate Yoshi for other reasons, then I say they should feel free to hate. There's always a character that we can't stand. Shoot, I can't stand Jigglypuff, and I still beileve that she should GTFO of Smash bros.. But that's my opinion.

Besides, Yoshi is said to be better in brawl. He's accurate and fair in strength, speed, and has an awesome Buff in range. Sure he can't DJC anymore, but I don't care. DJC honestly killed me most of the time by accident. :p Also, yeah he was nerfed a lot, but that makes him a better combo character. Weak attacks didn't stop Sheik and Marth, now did they? :p Not to mention that Yoshi seems to have A LOT less lagging attacks.

Also, if people say Yoshi suck or is the worst in the game? Just practice with him, play against them, and shut them up! ... when brawl comes out. :D That's what I'm planning on doing.! lol

Chepe

Smash Lord
Dude, that guy is giving HIS OWN impressions. Meaning, he dont know how to handle Yoshi, and he insists on trying to play him like its Melee. Dont take his impressions as fact lol!

I was going to post that in the thread but realized what I just told you. Trust, when we get our hands on the game we are going to find that mastering Yoshi in Brawl will be like learning a completely new character altogether! Just wait til we Yoshi players get our hands on the game...

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
You're not getting Brawl over one character, based on information that's false anyways?

Yes, I understand there are insane Yoshi haters out there. Actually, there are no Yoshi haters.

There are only those who have never heard of Fumi.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Guys, this is from a Yoshi player in the "Up B" thread here, regarding that person:

Yeah, I've seen other people with the game that have reviewed the characters, but I'm of the opinion that someone who didn't really know yoshi previously can't truly determine how good he can be here, at least not so quickly. I saw another guys's "tier list" earlier today, and he placed yoshi at the very bottom of the list, giving him a 1 out of 10. He claimed that all of his attacks were nerfed, and I noticed several mis-statements about some of his attacks. He obviously didn't know how yoshi works. >.<
See? Stop getting all worked up over that guy, he doesnt really know what he is talking about lol.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
Fox rating:
1/10

:p
Happy now? Everyone is free to their opinions. He has played the game, and therefore has some insight into the game. However, the doesn't necessarily mean that he has insight into Yoshi as a character. He said Yoshi was nerfed for the most part. As I recall from the Demo at E 4 All, people weren't playing Yoshi right then due to the lack of DJC and didn't focus on his buffs. He likely isn't a Yoshi player and hasn't spent a large amount of time evaluating Yoshi since he isn't that popular. Play the game yourself and see how much FUN you have playing Yoshi, not how good other people say he is.

Yoshi never was particularly high on the tier list, and simply saying he is won't make him so. Personally, I enjoy the fact that he isn't on the very top the the tier list; otherwise I'd be among the ranks of everyone else. Now, I would like the ability to jump out of my shield. However, I play Yoshi because I find Yoshi to be a fun character to play. Brawl is a game, and there isn't much point in playing if you aren't going to have fun.

Depster

Smash Champion
Fox rating:
1/10

Happy now? Everyone is free to their opinions. He has played the game, and therefore has some insight into the game. However, the doesn't necessarily mean that he has insight into Yoshi as a character. He said Yoshi was nerfed for the most part. As I recall from the Demo at E 4 All, people weren't playing Yoshi right then due to the lack of DJC and didn't focus on his buffs. He likely isn't a Yoshi player and hasn't spent a large amount of time evaluating Yoshi since he isn't that popular. Play the game yourself and see how much FUN you have playing Yoshi, not how good other people say he is.

Yoshi never was particularly high on the tier list, and simply saying he is won't make him so. Personally, I enjoy the fact that he isn't on the very top the the tier list; otherwise I'd be among the ranks of everyone else. Now, I would like the ability to jump out of my shield. However, I play Yoshi because I find Yoshi to be a fun character to play. Brawl is a game, and there isn't much point in playing if you aren't going to have fun.
Absolutely right, he is SO FUN to use! But tiers ARE pretty much based of popularity, so I don't go by them anyway

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
It's nothing to worry about. It's not like one guys' thoughts are going to change how Yoshi is going to play in brawl. The only thing that I got a problem with is that when everyone reads his post, they're gonna instantly look at who's top and who's bottom in his opinion. Since most people don't have the game, they're going to take his word for truth. 'Hey my main isn't bottom tier! Awesome! Lol look at that Yoshi, let's give him sh*t XD.' The post is pretty much destroying Yoshi's appeal to anyone that hasn't even played the game yet :(. Sucks because less people will play Yoshi, and it'll be really hard to get him ranked higher on the actual tier list. It'll blow over once some actual Yoshi players get to try him out.

I know a bunch of people that have tried playing Yoshi that are very good with their own characters. Lots of them think DJC is the way to win, and end up playing pretty junk because they think it's the only way to win. Regardless I have to admit you can't pick up Yoshi in a couple days, and he has a different play style than most other characters. Just because a character is different does not mean they are inferior.

He says he's getting better the more he plays with all the characters, except Yoshi. And all I had to say was that your not going to get better with a character if you continue to play them wrong lol. And it's true. He responds to everyone who flames him on his Yoshi score on his thread but conveniently skipped my post lol. Oh wells :laugh:

Don't let it get to you, the more you flame on him about his pointless scores, him and five others will be right there to flame you back.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Fox rating:
1/10

I understand he expressed an opinion, which is fine, but we don't post our opinions unless they are backed by facts. The difference is he had no experiece as a Yoshi player, and therefore should not post stuff about it without facts. He could have at least stated something like "Yoshi can't jump out of his shield still," or "Yoshi's pretty difficult to use, because I'm used to a DJC Yoshi, and not a Brawl Yoshi." All he said was Yoshi was nerfed (which is a lie) and he still has crap recovery (which is also a lie). He also only played for twenty hours. He shouldn't make a topic on that, when there are already loads of them for people who actually bought it and have played the game straight for three days.

Absolutely right, he is SO FUN to use! But tiers ARE pretty much based of popularity, so I don't go by them anyway
Tiers go by tourney results, not by popularity.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
I may not be the best Yoshi user out there. No where near to be exact, but I at least work with him to know his move set prety good. My style was mostly ground however, not much air. It different from what i'm hearing on here, but it still works.

It shows that yoshi's skills are full of possibilites as well. Not many people are willing to wait and learn his moves to see that. I posted on that dude's post, and at least offered a little respect in my post, because he sounds like he knows the characters he's good with. Sadly, he overlook mine as well. Oh well.. Boo hoo. Just to say again, it's you who practices with Yoshi, so You'll be one that knows Yoshi's good. That 's what I do almost everyday after school with Melee. lol I even had some of the best players training against Yoshi just to stop me. :p lol sorry for the bragging

But seriously, It's your skills, not his. Don't worry about it. :p

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Nice post on the other tread Yoshinator. But I must agree with him that his views of the game are in respect to all the other characters in the game, and not about who's improved the most. And of course they are just his opinions on the characters, don't get too upset about it people :).

Our plights have moved him!
Edit 2: Bair combos increase the game further. easy to link into smashes for kills. +1.0
Haha, but like I said in another thread, his words are not going to change how good Yoshi will be in brawl. It'll just add to the WTF factor when someone loses to Yoshi lol.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Whoa, That yoshinator can be intense! O_O

Im serious peeps, dont worry about what people say now. Im positive Yoshi's game will develop over long stretches of playtime, and in a couple of years we will look back at this all and laugh, wondering how anyone could have thought they could get a good glimpse of Yoshi in less than a week! :laugh:

Sharky

Smash Master
Lol thanks chepe...I guess? o.O I'd like to note that I didn't do any flaming, I don't like flaming, and would very much like to keep the yoshis a peaceful people, except inside the game lol. If you want to debate, debate, but keep it peaceful and reasonable, please.

Tanea

Smash Ace
i agree far all you know this guys could have just played with yoshi for like and a hour just to try him out then as soon they find out thst their adv tech don't work then they are like oh yoshi sucks bla bla bla bla if you look gannon got a bad review then people where omg bla bla bla all that i have to say to yoshi main to yoshi main how long did it take you to get use to people saying yoshi sucks cause he is on bottom tier there will always be someone to put someone else down all you have to do is figure this version of yoshi then slipp on your adorable red yoshi boots and then kick their ass:) all it takes is a little love and some of that hip drop move that we all love to get these guys to shut up but that i just me

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
You know, to tell you the truth, I started playing Yoshi in Super Smash Bros. WAY BACK in the N64 generation because I loved the character and not because he was good or anything. I also hardly cared that he was so low on the Melee tier list and unpopular, I still used him extensively in Melee. I don't care what anybody says... I'm maining Yoshi AGAIN when Brawl hits US shores, and that'll be true even if he does become the lowest character on an official tier list.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
Thats right. Characters shouldnt be played only cause of their UBERness. I kinda always pick the character cause either i like their desing or like them from their games. I have a lot of characters that i will play as. Mainly Ike, poke trainer and the Kirby team but Yoshi and other characters that i like will have some decent playtime with.

Meeh i think it will be that eventually i play ALL chars to some extent as i did in melee.

And besides... Yoshi is just to CUTE to not wanna play him from time to time ^^.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I'm Def gonna get brawl don't get me wrong but hopefully Yoshi doesn't suck that bad. But i really have a feeling there not giving him his dues.
Yes Yoshi is my main and he is who I am going to focus all my time on first but really now I'm gonna try to just prove people wrong I guess and I will just have to prove people wrong by destroying them with him.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I don't care what anybody says... I'm maining Yoshi AGAIN when Brawl hits US shores, and that'll be true even if he does become the lowest character on an official tier list.
Thats right. Characters shouldnt be played only cause of their UBERness.
Not really. If I want to win, I usually play Falco or Marth. However, Yoshi is still my favorite. That's why I want Yoshi to be at least Middle Tier material. It's not all about winning, but winning is fun.:)

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Not really. If I want to win, I usually play Falco or Marth. However, Yoshi is still my favorite. That's why I want Yoshi to be at least Middle Tier material. It's not all about winning, but winning is fun.:)
True. My best is Marth, but Yoshi is my favourite too. The new Yoshi seems to be higher tier material in Brawl though, unlike the guy's impression in the first post here (I don't mean the topic starter here, if you think that). Yoshi needs to be played in his Brawl version in Brawl, not like his Melee version. And he obviously hasn't done that.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
People tend to dislike him I guess, I don't know why. I guess it's because he's cute, but has no special things that make him ''deadly cute'', like Jigglypuffs rest. So they just play one or too matches with Yoshi and write an impression on that.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
My friends hate Yoshi because he's "gay".

But anyway, I'm sure if people got over the lack of DJC and tried something new with him, more people would think of him as a good character.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, but they're probably still too used to Melee Yoshi or just don't play him enough, like we've said before. We'll have to wait until either someone gives a fair impression of Yoshi, or we'd have to find out for ourselves.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
I think the general reason why Yoshi is thought of as a bad character is this:

He has no third jump.

In Brawl he does, but people still take for granted that he still isn't great.

That's why, or at least, that's why I didn't like him at first.

Actually, I'm just going to share my Smash experience that led to my favorite character being Yoshi.

Well, I was one of those Link n00bs. Yep. I was the kind of smasher that got stale moves with Smash attacks and used his Up B every chance I got. The reason why, is because I didn't have anybody to let me know I stunk, because my Smash friends were worse. They're the guys who called Link's Up B "cheap." Thinking about it now makes me laugh.

After what was a "fierce" battle with one of my friends, he said, "Hey, let's try out those two swords men at the bottom." Now, I bet you think I picked Marth, as he is my second.

Nope.

Being the idiot I was, I picked Roy, because he had...well, teh phire. Oh, it gets worse.

Now, the tier list is based on tourney results and the probability of winning with selected character against another selected character if you have the same skill level. I won as Roy against Marth because I had more skill. Unfortunately for me, I did not see it this way, and saw Roy as the better character. >_<

Well, I was excited. I thought I was good with another character (yea, F Smash F Smash F Smash is REALLY good on Hyrule temple). Anyways, I got on Google one day and wondered, "Gee, maybe I should look up Smash stuff." Then I was upped from a level one N00b to a level two Smash child.

I watched nothing but combo videos. Looked them up for almost everyone. Tried out characters to see if I could do what the pros do. This slowly led me away from Link (unfortuanatly, it first led me closer to Roy). As I would experiement with characters, I would occationally try Yoshi.

He had no third jump, making him a joke character. However, I used him from time to time anyways, because I could beat level nines with him (hardest thing in the world at that time).

I got curious one day and looked up Yoshi combo vid.

Who did I pop up with?

Fumi.

And the light poured into my eyes. I was upped from a Smash child to a Smash journeyman.

From then, the rest is clear. I practiced and practiced to be the best Yoshi player in the world. I looked up Melee forums (how I got here). Then the final step happened.

I learned the goodies. Wavdash. L-Cancel. Fast Fall. Tiers.

I became a Smash apprentice.

And here I am today.

bigman40

Smash Master
haha good story YoshiBombers. If people want to disrespect how good Yoshi's potential is, then I say beat them,and make them look stupid. People can't understand that each character has a different playing style, and that means that each character takes certain amount of times to EFFICIENTLY use them.
Lol, we should all get each others Brawl code (when it comes out), and show them Yoshi's true potential.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, for sure! They'll see what a real Yoshi player can do, even if it's not Fumi.
And maybe we Yoshi players could all play a Yoshi Free for All too, and maybe improve our playstyles by playing other good Yoshi players.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, for sure! They'll see what a real Yoshi player can do, even if it's not Fumi.
And maybe we Yoshi players could all play a Yoshi Free for All too, and maybe improve our playstyles by playing other good Yoshi players.
Yoshi FFAs are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
And now for the newest one. Yoshi placed at 2nd to last, DK was last.

Here was his reason:
Yoshi – Everyone else says he sucks
I couldn't help but laugh lol.

He later told everyone
The Yoshi thing was a joke...oh well.
I thought it was a joke to begin with so I didn't take it seriously to begin with, but this seems to becoming the new trend. If you don't understand a character, they suck. :(

Post edited:
Yoshi – We don't like him.
A much more respectable review. :)

Dogger

Smash Rookie
"...he sucks balls OMG he's so bad..." -SamuraiPanda
"Why doesn't the up B do nothing, unlike what Sakurai said." -Yokou

Listening to SMYN now and there's a huge amount of Yoshi hate going on. It honestly feels like myself, and the people I've shown my recovery video to, are the only ones who know how to properly use his egg toss as recovery. I would love to make another video to show Yoshi's potential and the rest of his moveset being applied but I don't think it would mean much until I can fight another human being that has smash skill instead of CPUs.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I agree, I haven't listened to this weeks SMYN but there are some times where they do say stuff like that, but I don't hold it against them. They're busy with the making the weeks episode, moderating to forums, having normal lives, that it's impossible for them to know every aspect and detail of the game. And like I said, if people as individuals don't know much about a certain thing, they'll just insert what the majority says. The only real way to change everyone's minds is to show them first hand.

Dogger

Smash Rookie
no wifi? =/
Wifi is hosed right now. Everyone who isn't in Japan can do friend code matches with over a full second of lag in between every button input. "With Anyone" Matches are also impossible for Americans who imported, so we have to wait until March just like the rest of you.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yoshi is a great character, I always liked him.

He sucks in smash, but it's not his fault, blame whoever made his moveset =\

Top Bottom