• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tittilating Tilde or: How I Learned to Stop Johnsing and Love the Techskill

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Hey P:M Diddies,

While I'm quite proficient at casual play, I've only recently decided to become more technical. Prior to August 2013, I didn't even tech. P:M got me into playing competitively and becoming better. So, since August, I've found out my playstyle, and I've done research on techs. This prompted me from switching from Zard to Sheik to Zelda to DK to Sheik to Diddy, who I've decided to main, along with a Sheik secondary.

I want to use this thread as a log of my development, one which could eventually maybe become a guide to complete noobies.

I hope you'll help me in my endeavors!

PS. There will be double posts, more than likely.

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
My past work has focused on refining my pre-techskill Diddy fundamentals: movement, character knowledge, etc. My current goals are acquiring stage knowledge (what's best for Diddy), obtaining a dazzle, and bettering my techskill.

I am currently exploring the following techs, and incorporating them into my play:

• L-cancel/teching
  • Wall cling from ledge drop?
    • You can also hold away from the stage as your holding the ledge to drop without fast falling as well. So maybe if you hold away and then smack the stick back depending on stage, it could work.
    • Im sure there is a way to so it, as you can buffer instant walljumps from ledge grabs n melee, what i would recomend is lightly tapping down then holding into the stage. When done fast it should grab most walls, battle field or lylat or similar ledges are tricky and probably require a double jump.
  • RAR / B-reversal
  • Dashdance/walkdance / pivots
  • Jumpcancel Grab/Throw
  • Glidetoss, Aerial Glidetoss, (C-sticked)
  • Aerials (C-sticked)
  • Dashbananapickup - z over banana at end, and middle
  • https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLovBMkMLex7xP-JgGCNJeai7iPd5hUKhe
  • Gentleman
  • Waveland peanut
  • Wavebounce
  • b-boost
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/19sj49/pm_looking_for_strategiescombostipstricks_for/

A few other resources I use:
Brawl Diddy - http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...nd-more-read-this-if-youre-new-4-2-12.236290/
PM Diddy - http://smashboards.com/threads/storytime-with-cranky-a-diddy-primer-for-3-0.331761/
http://smashboards.com/threads/swan...e-to-your-banana-game-the-swank-style.331823/

Last edited:

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Compete-complete.com
This is a great resource, thanks Disqo!

So, I'll be headed to my first tourney next Sunday, East Coast Elites for February in Charlottesville, Virginia. I hope it'll be super-hype.

L-canceling and teching have become automatic for me, which is very good. I'm shifting my focus now to using the C-stick for aerials and AGT. This is a major, major change from how I usually play, so it may take a while to achieve.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I love this idea, and big props to you for chronicling your progress here. I will recommend, however, that as a beginner you not distract yourself too much with incorporating the more situational techs like DA Z-pickups, double SH aerials, wavebouncing, etc. I see this mistake often with beginner players I meet in my area where they'll fault their play on mistiming or simply failing specific techs where in reality they're lacking in fundamentals of the core techs (L-canceling, Wavedashing/landing, Dash-dancing, Glide-tossing, etc). Basics are absolutely key and the more obscure techs can prevent you from developing the fundamental skillset critical to tournament success. Work not only on landing the techs 99% of the time but also the where/when/why on using them and how you can improve your mobility and neutral game from these tactics.

And speaking of tournaments, your first tournament will likely be a huge eye-opener, haha. Don't expect to place well but rather use it as an opportunity for exposure to competitive Smash. Meet and play as many people as you possibly can; you'll not only learn a lot about the game right there but can also network with nearby players and play them more often at their fests. Best of luck!

Last edited:

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
...Basics are absolutely key and the more obscure techs can prevent you from developing the fundamental skillset critical to tournament success. Work not only on landing the techs 99% of the time but also the where/when/why on using them and how you can improve your mobility and neutral game from these tactics.

And speaking of tournaments, your first tournament will likely be a huge eye-opener, haha. Don't expect to place well but rather use it as an opportunity for exposure to competitive Smash. Meet and play as many people as you possibly can; you'll not only learn a lot about the game right there but can also network with nearby players and play them more often at their fests. Best of luck!
Thanks GuruKid.

I hear you on the techs. It's taken me about 3 or 4 months to fully integrate teching, L-canceling, and wavelanding. If you look at my list of techs-to-learn, you'll see many of them are very fundamental techs, so I hope I'm going the direction you suggest.

I didn't make it to ECE, but it's a monthly, so hopefully I can go next month. Luckily my house is very into smash, but we play 4 man FFAs

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Okay, it's been a bad month. Not much progress, though my house did grab a Dazzle. I'm moving out end of semester, so I'll have to figure something out as far as having a Wii/Dazzle/TV goes.

I've decided to focus or RAR and B-reversals for my next techs. They're interesting enough that I can play with them. Still working on AGTs and Aerials w/ the c-stick...

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Where you at in MD/VA? There are lots of really good, different Diddy players who go to Xanadu and the other tournaments. Off the top of my head I can think of Boss, Junebug, Guy, and MIA (formerly Ice) who play Diddy at Xanadu. If you can make it, come over and talk to those guys.

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Where you at in MD/VA? There are lots of really good, different Diddy players who go to Xanadu and the other tournaments. Off the top of my head I can think of Boss, Junebug, Guy, and MIA (formerly Ice) who play Diddy at Xanadu. If you can make it, come over and talk to those guys.
Hey, thanks for the reply! Yeah, Junebug goes to my school. I should meet him at a tourney I set up on campus.

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
So, a few updates: 1) my house got a Dazzle. I'll start recording. 2) Got myself to a tourney, got dumpstered but had a blast 3) finally am consistently using the cstick for aerials and AGTs!

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
Which tourney did you go to? squabbles? Did you talk to boss or guy or june?
Hey NGuz
Yeah I actually helped Ammad Khokar move East Coast Elites onto University of Virginia ground (campus). According to regulars, there was about 15 to 20 new faces, and the regular turnout was low because of a Sunday tourney. We're going to try and make things better on that end, and I do think Cville-Richmond can handle a smash scene equal to NoVA-MD.

Anyway, I talked to Junebug a bit, but he wasn't playing much Diddy. Still, though, made the connections and talked to people.

Also, my house got super into Smash, and wants to start streaming. Hype! We just don't know how to get on the subreddit sidebar or the smashboards listing. #ohwell.

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That's awesome! It's great that you're trying to expand the Richmond scene. Interesting that June wasn't playing a whole lot of Diddy. Maybe you should ask some of the Admins about how to get on the sidebar.

~@~Tilde~@~

Smash Cadet
That's awesome! It's great that you're trying to expand the Richmond scene. Interesting that June wasn't playing a whole lot of Diddy. Maybe you should ask some of the Admins about how to get on the sidebar.
Yeah, there's a lot of talent, so we might as well have fun with it. Yeah, he's been tuning up a Ganon.

Top Bottom