• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips vs Rosalina?

Agosta44

Smash Ace
So basically I've come to the conclusion the only choice DK users have vs Rosalina is to pick another character. I've fought many Rosalina and it seems any above average Rosa user and higher the matchup is 9:1 in her favor.

Any tips would be nice.

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
She has all of your options covered if you really think of it. Your best bet is try to get her to roll, read the roll, then punish with grounded Up-B or down B. Try to juggle her as much as possible as well. And if she's one of those predictable Rosalina's that stands there and charges her luma shot, jump over it, and try to Down-b or tilt her. Or read her roll and punish.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
i havent had that much trouble with her so far. maybe i havent played enough good ones

one thing i do vs her is always, when time allows or the situation is perfect, is to kill her baby. she has a spawn cooldown on the babies, try and take advantage of her then. her moves without the baby there are actually pretty good, so its still annoying

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i havent had that much trouble with her so far. maybe i havent played enough good ones

one thing i do vs her is always, when time allows or the situation is perfect, is to kill her baby. she has a spawn cooldown on the babies, try and take advantage of her then. her moves without the baby there are actually pretty good, so its still annoying
It's better to focus on attacking Rosalina herself. The respawn time on Luma is actually pretty short, close to around 9ish seconds?

What you DO want to do though is be aggressive in situations where Luma isn't going to punish you. Either this means ideally you're wailing on Rosalina when Luma is very far away from her, or you are trying to hit both of them simultaneously when they're grouped.

imo you're kinda forced to play risky vs Rosalina, because realistically her ground control against defenses is really silly while Luma is up.

Last edited:

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Hard aggression while making use of your better mobility. Grounded upB, ftilt luma, etc.. If she shoots luma rush her down hard. This matchup isn't too bad compared to the rest of the top 5. Remember that you are the MONKEY KING

burrhe

Smash Cadet
Only played one online and she wasn't anything special, but enough to be a threat. She was a sitting duck after I'd killed her baby.

Also an aerial side B approach worked quite well sometimes, but it can get super obvious and easy to avoid. Either way you need to kill her baby, grounded up B seems to work on it after she's pooped it out, but again I haven't played many

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
I like dtilting the luma when it's alone. Racks up damage fast to KO it.
There seems to be a window where he can attack you through it, but it's pretty small.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
From my experiences with strong Rosa players is that DK is too big to approach from air and on the ground it's hit or miss. She has huge multi hit moves and a weird frame and DKs smash attacks also have ****ty hitboxes which leads to a very bad time.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Honestly, just don't play the match up. I have been lurking the rosalina boards to find her bad/even mus and so far I have had the most success with rob.
There is no shame at all in switching characters to avoid the MU.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Honestly, just don't play the match up. I have been lurking the rosalina boards to find her bad/even mus and so far I have had the most success with rob.
There is no shame at all in switching characters to avoid the MU.
I don't even think ROB will help. She has literally no bad matchups from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I don't even think ROB will help. She has literally no bad matchups from what I've seen.
Yeah, I doubt rob is good match up but it seems decently even plus I am very comfortable playing rob. Hopefully some anti Rosalina tech appears soon.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Just a quick note regarding Rosalina's recovery, since I feel edge guarding is where DK may shine in this matchup.

Be aware that she has three methods of recovering to the edge with her up-b. The standard diagonal arc, the reverse arc by hugging the stage and sliding up the slant, and the b reverse up-b-- which sends her directly upwards. Scout which one of these she will be using based on her positioning, and react accordingly. B-air stage spike may work wonders in the scenario where she opts to recovery low. This is due to the fact that her standard up-b has no hitbox! So challenge it!!

If she drops extremely low, you may be able to judge the usage of the b reverse vertical recovery. In this case, a well timed double jump rising d-air will solve matters.

Many Rosalina's will opt to mix in recovering high given they realize the dangers of committing low as well. So be sure to hold your ground until they commit first. If they do go high, save your double jump and punish with up air.

Last edited:

ShenanigansFox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4554-0285-0683
Honestly a different character is probably your best best. I've been using ganondorf to great effect if custom moves are enabled, if its just default moves ive been going with Pit just because you have better lame it out options, can reflect luma shot for some hilarious KOs, has his side B for a solid kill move on her lightweight body, and good zoning with aerials.

Top Bottom