• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips VS Luigi?

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
UpB out of shield a lot. :/ Also, if you grab him out of Nair or his Tornado, you can do the grab release to bowser bomb.

Other than that I'd play defensive and use firebreath when you can. I say defensive because if he shield grabs you, it's one down throw and you'll be at 50% in no time with his DThrow, Uair, Uair, random attacks combo.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't think Luigi can be bowser bombed out of a release grab, also my grab release Ftilt get shielded a lot.

Yeah I just checked Vex's thread, bomb doesn't work.

The annoying thing is how floaty he is, he can SH a FAir and you have to actually wait before he's low enough to grab, which probably means he can do something to get out of your grab range, like jumping.

Teh Future

Smash Master
you have to jump out of his uptilt combos. Yeah its a really hard matchup, the main thing is to avoid his upB, will will kill you at extremely early percents.

MrEh

Smash Hero
That thread is king of obsolete, and was done with very quick testing. I would trust Vex's thread more then my own really. It might work, but I really should have tested it more. ><

But really, I fight a Luigi main on a regular basis, and the best thing you can do is to stay out of the air. Luigi will utterly **** Bowser with Bairs, Uairs, and Nairs otherwise. Watch out for falling Nairs as well, since these can lead into Utilt juggling at lower percents, or aerial juggling at higher percents.

Be cautious with using your fire. If the Luigi player you're fighting is knowledgeable with the Bowser matchup, they will actually DI towards the fire. Why? Because it's a free Shoryuken for Luigi.

As with most characters, smash Luigi off the stage, and edgeguard the crap out of him. Remember that his Tornado and Missile don't auto sweetspot the ledge, so they can be intercepted with aerials. Or my favorite attack...Fsmash. :p

the main thing is to avoid his upB, will will kill you at extremely early percents
Luigi's Utilt is scarier then the Shoryuken really. Utilts lead into Weegee combos. XD

Popertop

Smash Champion
That thread is king of obsolete, and was done with very quick testing. I would trust Vex's thread more then my own really. It might work, but I really should have tested it more. ><

But really, I fight a Luigi main on a regular basis, and the best thing you can do is to stay out of the air. Luigi will utterly **** Bowser with Bairs, Uairs, and Nairs otherwise. Watch out for falling Nairs as well, since these can lead into Utilt juggling at lower percents, or aerial juggling at higher percents.

Be cautious with using your fire. If the Luigi player you're fighting is knowledgeable with the Bowser matchup, they will actually DI towards the fire. Why? Because it's a free Shoryuken for Luigi.

As with most characters, smash Luigi off the stage, and edgeguard the crap out of him. Remember that his Tornado and Missile don't auto sweetspot the ledge, so they can be intercepted with aerials. Or my favorite attack...Fsmash. :p

Luigi's Utilt is scarier then the Shoryuken really. Utilts lead into Weegee combos. XD
If you line up the edge with Luigi's head it does auto sweetspot.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Like MrEh said, be VERY careful about using firebreath.

Getting shield grabbed is not a big concern if you're fighting a luigi. A Luigi player cannot shield grab your f-tilt, d-tilt, or F-smash (if they're well spaced) unless Luigi powershields, because he slides so far. If you happen to be fighting a powershield-grabbing Luigi (something I have never heard of), you should be very scared.

What you should really look out for are Jab-grabs. They're really fast, and they lead in to devastating combos.

You outrange Luigi on the ground. It is absoulutely VITAL that you space your attacks against him.

Flayl

Smash Hero
The Luigis I fight don't know that DI'ng into shoryuken thing, good for me >_>

I'll concentrate more on keeping my distance then.

Popertop

Smash Champion
And you can gimp his recovery if you trick him into using his second jump, but most luigi's recover high so it shouldn't matter that much.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Like MrEh said, be VERY careful about using firebreath.
I've tried many ways to get around this, but no matter what direction the fire is aimed, Luigi can go right through and get a free Shoryuken on you. That's what I get for having a brother who mains Luigi. ><

Getting shield grabbed is not a big concern if you're fighting a luigi. A Luigi player cannot shield grab your f-tilt, d-tilt, or F-smash (if they're well spaced) unless Luigi powershields, because he slides so far. If you happen to be fighting a powershield-grabbing Luigi (something I have never heard of), you should be very scared.
Plus, Luigi's grab range is a lot like Bowser's. You know...really bad. Luigi grabs are scary though, because once you're in the air, you get *****.

What you should really look out for are Jab-grabs. They're really fast, and they lead in to devastating combos.
Or the infamous Jab-Uppercut. Or as I call it...

SHIN.....SHORYUKEN!!!!

You outrange Luigi on the ground. It is absoulutely VITAL that you space your attacks against him.
Exactly. Here's a simple explanation.

Bowser's ground game>>Luigi's ground game
Bowser's air game<<<<<Luigi's air game

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Well I did test that Ground Release to Bowser Bomb and it worked on Luigi. I wasn't able to test if they could DI out of it though, but on an unsuspecting Luigi you may be able to pull it off.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Well I did test that Ground Release to Bowser Bomb and it worked on Luigi. I wasn't able to test if they could DI out of it though, but on an unsuspecting Luigi you may be able to pull it off.
That's good then. It's always useful to have tools to use. I really wouldn't recommend using the Bomb against Luigi though. Because if you miss, it's another opportunity for him to Shoryuken you.

and i'm glad someone else knows it's a shin shoryuken
Street Fighter player. :p

Teh Future

Smash Master
Bowser bomb is bowser's insta kill attack, it would be dumb to say never use this when it kills at 50% Just be careful with it, but honestly you should use it, as it is extremely quick and quite easy to catch people in.\\

And like I said, jump out of uptilt combos.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah using it once through an entire match would be good, especially as a surprise attack. He notices the Luigi ground release to Ftilt gets shielded so he has a chance to break his shield if both connect. But it's a risk he'll have to decide on. I'd definitely use it as a surprise attack if the opponent is expecting a Ground release Ftilt...he'd never see a ground release Bomb or Claw. XD

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
*bumps 4 day old thread lol*

Luigi's actually easy if you read him correctly. I've played as Bowser (working on him) and training him agains't some of fellow luigi mainers. One thing is for sure is that, you must grab him if he's attempting any SH attack ESPICALLY Nair, your grab range > his Nair. Either that, or go with ALOT I MEAN ALOT OF OOS UPB'S. They'll save your life more then anything.

Oh and a retreating Fair has more aerial mobility and generally range than luigi's bair so yeah. Alot of luigi's will love to do a FFNair so expect it and use your defensive options.

Lastly, if he's in kill range, be a gimpyfish and go for a upair. It completetly outrapes luigi's below options every where.

if hes trying to break through your defensives, go with jab's to keep him off then with Fairs/tilts.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
I fight a Luigi player pretty much all the time, so a few things I've learned is that you need to stay out of the air as much as possible. Luigi will dominate you there.

On the ground, your approaches are limited. For example, if you try to Short-hop air-dodge, Luigi is going to use his cyclone and just knock you back away again. Also, when you're far enough away, Luigi is going to spam fireballs, trying to trick you into jumping up where he can just come and fight you in the air, which he'll, one again, dominate.

Just play smart, keep to the ground, and don't try and rush Luigi too much. There's no set way to beat every Luigi that comes along the way, so all you can do is to fight Luigi and watch your replays. Look for times where you went wrong in your strategy and watch how the Luigi player takes advantage of you and try and work your way around it.

Top Bottom