• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on converting people into more competitive smash players?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Simple question, what should I try to do, avoid or take into consideration when trying to get people into getting better at smash?

Things I've been thinking about:
Monthly Tournament - Incentive to be competitive, and something to look forward to.

Mentality- Winning is the fruits of the labor, I need to find a way to help them have fun improving or just doing anything else with the game so they can get to the point where they can win and do all the cool stuff that everyone wants to see.
Character Choice - Unsure how I should handle suggesting characters to play, but at this time I plan to never suggest people a character and let them find their own until they are good enough to be able to take advantage of what makes each character unique.

Controller schemes - Maybe a non-issue, but changing right stick from smash to tilt changed the whole game for me. Some people get intimidated by changing controllers schemes though. Though most people are usually past the point of knowing that there are attacks that damage, and attacks used to KO people, so using more tilts would benefit them.
When to suggest tools to help improve - Currently I've been waiting until people ask about how to get better before recommending things so there isn't information overload. Though some people may never ask, so I'm unsure when would be a good time to recommend.

Anything else I forgot to mention, or suggestions on how to tackle these things?

My little situation for the curious:
My main game that I play is a much more relaxing game to play than Smash, so for all the people from that game going to smash might be a bit of a shock from what they normally play, but they have all played it in the past at some point so it's not too unfamiliar. I don't expect the group I have to rage when they lose and what-not, and some of them already have the right mindset for competitive mindset, but I wanna make sure things go smoothly as possible just in case. They all want to play smash, but they are all people that don't have a set schedule, and are too afraid to intrude on other people's time to actually ask to play each other. So I've decided to start up stuff.

Planning on having some sort of Smash night/Smash tournaments once a month since some people can be very busy, but the ones with more free-time can still play to improve and fight each other while waiting for these tournaments.
I'm also hosting a Mario Party/Mario Kart event once a month, 2 weeks apart from Smash since Mario Party is what got this whole event thing started, this also makes it so people don't panic so much about winning since at any moment you can go 1st place to last place at any moment.
Thinking about making a VR or non-nintendo event for the users that don't own a switch, but I'm a little worried about the people that are trying to attend the other events burning themselves out by trying to attend all events, even if they know they don't need to. Might end up being Phasmophobia, TF2, or Risk of Rain 2 looking at the games that everyone has currently since everyone seems to have those games. Might even make it a random game night. Perhaps Chess so people get in more of the competitive mindset focused on decision making and when to take risks/sacrifices, while being in a more chill atmosphere that they are used to. Though most people get intimidated by Chess easily, which can be a double edged sword, because if they get over that, it could translate over to smash easily. If they don't, then they could just drop both games. I'm also not as experienced in teaching people how to play chess compared to Smash.

The skill gaps is pretty massive currently. A lot of them never got too competitive, only got competitive in a previous title, or started playing in Ultimate. Going to be many skill gaps everywhere. Going to see where everyone is at the next time I get people together since I've usually fought them separately. Most of them at least like the 1v1 styled fights and I plan to keep it that way, but I dunno if I should have a side thing for 2v2, or free for alls for the less competitive players so they can get used to the game in hopes they can get competitive.
As for me, I've been playing since Melee on and off, and started getting more serious Smash 4 and onwards. Very unsure if I should participate in the tournaments where it'll be a steamroll, or have myself be that big bad boss at the end that multiple try to take down for something a bit more unique. Did 2v1s and 3v1s all the time in Melee -> Smash 4, and my main is now Sephiroth, so it's something I'm kinda use to (also feeling like the final boss does feel pretty good!). Or should I just not participate at all in case either of these cases will make people feel like they can never get to my level. Which I know is false because I've taught some people to get better, start moving like top players and now I can't touch them if I use anything other than Sephiroth, or a character to counter pick their character/playstyle. Smash isn't my only game and I work full time, so if someone is determined enough they could become better than me.
I mention this, because some people will get confused if I choose to just never play. Currently I am just going to learn the few new characters that I'm not good with to even the playing field during tournaments, but I will eventually get to the point where I feel comfortable with every character so eventually that won't work when adding new people.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Don't try to "convert" people.

A lot of people, likely the majority of Smash players, play the game to have fun at their own pace, and forcing them to spend time and resources to get better in a competitive context may simply not be something they are interested in.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Don't try to "convert" people.

A lot of people, likely the majority of Smash players, play the game to have fun at their own pace, and forcing them to spend time and resources to get better in a competitive context may simply not be something they are interested in.
I suppose I should mention I was using the word "convert" as a joke. I'll try to be a bit more careful with titles next time, I've been a bit sloppy with that lately, can easily get the wrong message across. After all, they all have said at least once, but most of them has said multiple times that they want to get better at the game, so it's not like I'm changing the fact that they should play it, they already want to. Just everyone's being too afraid to intrude on each other's time, and/or they have anxiety.

This is why I was trying to do a smash tournament once a month. More casual players will have their own type of fun during the tournament and chat it out with other people and not touch the game any other time. Whereas the ones that truly want to get better will realize how much they want to get better and just play when the tournament isn't happening, making it easier for people to find time to play with each other. Once a month isn't asking for much. I'm not asking them to play smash 1 hour everyday (I don't even play that much anymore, as much as I'd like to).

Of course getting better at smash isn't the only reason, I just noticed it was one of the more popular games among my group of friends and wanted people to stop hiding from each other since a lot of them complain about not having anyone to chat/play with somedays and this could be a good way to get them to get out of their shell. Also, trying to be the person to take initiative to start things finally. I used to be a wallflower to the extreme, but I opened up a bunch when people "dragged" me to places, I want to do that for other people now.
Doesn't have to be smash specifically of course, just 90% of the people I hangout just so happen to have Smash, and Smash is my main competitive game. Only TF2 and Phasmophobia have more people that own those games, but people lose interest fast when they play those games. Zenith: The Last City might be up there since people do stay on for long periods of time and enjoy that game, but I dunno if it's going to be a fad or not, along with many other games not mentioned since there are a few game hoppers around. Smash comes up much more frequently than any other game, and I rarely bring the subject up (when I do it's because I'm playing it).

Top Bottom