• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for the Kirby vs. Rosalina MU?

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Any advice for this matchup? It's quite an uphill battle against a good Rosalina.

Joe Shmo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ferris123
As a kirby and rosalina main, i can confirm that this is a tough matchup. Perfect pivot bairs are good for getting rid of luma and they are easy to hit luma with and hard to punish if spaced correctly

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Perfect pivot bairs are good for getting rid of luma and they are easy to hit luma with and hard to punish if spaced correctly
I don't Pivot perfectly, in fact, I prefer the Imperfect Pivot (since it gives a little more distance).
And why do you have to Pivot the B-air? A skid-cancel B-air should be fine.

As to some tips vs Rosalina:

While Luma is in play and with Rosalina, focus on Luma. That means play footsies with Luma more than Rosalina because Rosa will be putting Luma between you and her. Also, mind which attacks you are using and how much damage Luma has taken. A fresh Luma won't move very far when hit by weaker attacks, so either wear it down a bit with safer attacks or make sure the attack you are using has some oomph to it (thanks Asdioh).

When you're off-stage or being juggled watch out for Rosalina's ridiculous U-air and D-air options. It's tough getting back when below because Rosalina's D-air can dunk you or flat out KO you and using Air Dodge will only make it harder to get back up to the stage. Final Cutter is easy to intercept with her D-air, so think twice when using it. Likewise Rosalina's U-air can flat out KO Kirby and has a large disjoint. Not only does it KO, but it can KO at ridiculously low percents, especially when Rosalina has Rage built up.

In the neutral game, play safe as possible. You can get more risky if you've taken care of Luma and it's just Rosalina, but it's still advisable to play safe and look for openings. You want Rosa to make the mistakes and you really need to get those optimal punishes when she gives them to you. Rosalina is very light, so you can take stocks from her with U-throw relatively soon. Try not to be too panicky because Rosalina likes to capitalize on that and get her U-smash or F-smash in that way.

Getting Rosalina off-stage is very good. Not just because of the usual benefits from getting the opponent off-stage, but because Rosalina doesn't have a hitbox on her Up Special when she has to use to to recover. This makes D-air so much easier to gimp with compared to all those guys who knock Kirby's D-air away like it was nothing. Additionally this makes Swallow viable to use off-stage to intercept her recovery (at least when you're a stock ahead). Be mindful of her mid-air Jump since she can use that in conjunction with her Aerial Attacks to mix up her recovery options and possibly knock Kirby away.

That's pretty much a quick run-down of the Rosalina & Luma match-up.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
If I may addendum, Jab finisher does a helluva good job at rid of Luma even at full health. Smacks it away for a considerable amount of time and in some cases just enough to banish Luma to the shadow realm, leaving Rosalina strapped for options.

Smashkid13

Smash Rookie
NNID
Smashkid13
3DS FC
1048-8588-0076
Any advice for this matchup? It's quite an uphill battle against a good Rosalina.
Get rid of luma as fast as you can so you don't get walled out. Don't try to combo her too much because she's a floaty but try to edge guard her as best you can. Since her recovery has no hitbox that's a free dair if luma's dead.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
This is a match up I HAVE to use a different character for. Rosalina is one of Kirby's absolute worst match ups, so I use either :4megaman: or :4sonic: to back him up.
I know Rosalina's light, like her and Kirby are around the same weight value, but since Luma has dangerous knockback ability, Kirby's prone to getting killed super early. The Luma is the ultimate hurdle in this match up, and if you can't take it out and do a reasonable amount of damage to Rosa without Luma, you're screwed.
I hate to be negative on this, but I cannot fight Rosalina as Kirby. Give me one of the True Blues and I'll be good.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
If you wan't to see how to approach the matchup, MikeKirby gave a good demonstration at a Nebulous not too long ago:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Huh, as a Rosa/Kirby main myself. I can easily tell you that as Kirby this pretty much becomes "footsies: the matchup". You gotta be as elusive as possible while keeping precise pressure and poking on Luma. Killing Luma and getting Rosa offstage are priorities but they require a WHOLE lot of patience so you cannot lose composure at any moment.

I myself have the option to just Ditto the other Rosalina but if I won a previous match and get locked into Kirby, I need to be ready.

Top Bottom