• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for playing a better falcon?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
:Captain falcon is my main and I really want to get better.
I can land sweetspot knee's most of the time and foxtrotting isn't a problem (not sure if it is as usefull as I think it is though)
I'd like some tips on the way I play (I'll try to explain it for the most part as making a video isn't an option ATM unfortunately)

I use the shoulder slam to approach most of the time. I try to use Bairs and Uairs to approach sometimes to though.
I knee quite often, but mostly when the opponent is off stage.
I like to foxtrot, and dash into a forward smash
off stage Uairs are good to IMO
I use alot of Dtilts and Ftilts and also the neutral a combo
I try to mix in Up tilts
and Dsmash isn't something I use often while maybe I should
I use falcon kick sometimes and raptor boost is my recovery move most of the time

Can you give me tips how my falcon can get better?

Thanks in advance

PS: why isn't the third hit in captain falcon's neutral A combo 'electrical'? This would make the captain so much better!

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Yes, the shoulder is good for getting poeple off the ground so I try to mix it up with the Raptor Boost to throw people off. And his Utilt is AMAZING so I like to leave the tap jump off.

Tomzo

Smash Rookie
Dsmash is money, catching someone in a roll with it works well. definitely add it to your game.

If raptor boost is your recovery most of the time theres something wrong, his upb recovery is awesome.

Foxtrot leads to more trips so avoid it, but dashing into an upsmash is great for damage and popping them up.

Jab combo is good, try to work in single jab to grabs, or double jabs to grabs. those will add up some damage and oppurtunities to work in some uairs after the grab.

Its a shame his gentleman (neutral a combo ending with the knee) sucks in brawl, and yes electricity work definitely kick ***.

Zeallyx

Thanks smashbrother and Tomzo!
I'm using Dsmash more often now and use jabs to grab.
One more question:
Is Jab (or jab jab) to Utilt a good thing to mix in my game?
IMO this is the only way I can use Utilt effectively
Is this a good way to use Utilt?
If not, when is the best time to use Utilt? (edgeguard? although the ledge's autosweetspot isn't helping :p)

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
You need moar paunch.

Seriously, though, Utilt is a good edgeguard (at least it can be). I hyphen smash a lot, too. Falcon Kick has at least some priority, so that's also good to use.

Electric Gentleman=Falcon for Top Tier.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
use utilt when someone is on a platform like one on battlefield
also you should learn to dash dance its helps out your raptor boost
and make sure to not recover with a raptor boost if mario is standing in front of you, beware you will get caped

Zeallyx

Thanks Noodlehead
but I know how to dashdance :) but I thought it wasn't helpfull..
I mean dashdashing in place, it's just for mindgames right? I feel like a noob now >_>
how will dashdancing help out my raptor boost?

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Dash dance helps Raptor boosts by making them less predictable. That way, your opponent won't feel as safe going around you for an approach.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Yes use DSmash more. A lot of my kills are one or two jabs to DSmash, probably because they were expecting infinite jabs and were just trying to DI away.

Top Bottom