• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips anyone?

Betsy

Smash Rookie
Anybody got any tips on how to be pro with wolf? post a video or somthing, or just say the tip, thanks :D

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

WulfFla$h

Smash Cadet
1. Don't be predictable.
2. Don't spam smash.
3. Master the Wolf Flash Cancel and the boost smash.
4. Search youtube for experienced Wolf players.
5. Also use Bair and 0-lag Fair.
The rest is up to you.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Well as a R.O.B mainer too I think Wolf is very hard to master (much more so than R.O.B).

I'm by no means a professional Wolf technically, but I know pretty much everything theorically.

Some tips that havn't been mentioned are:

- Retreat while using blaster unless you're trying to aproach with it, which you should never attempt.
- Use Jab cancells if you're good at it, but also mix them up with normal "claw claw bite" so you don't get predictable.
- Master Wolf's spike and you will horrify players who use predictable recoveries (DK, C. Falcon, etc.)
- for god's sake stay on the stage, don't try gimping unless you're sure you can make it back (this also aplies when trying to spike, just be very carefull)
- Don't practice online, unless online is all you'll ever play; you'll lose all your timing in-person if you practice in lag.
- Develope your own playstyle, no matter how much people tell you to spam Bair and whatnot, if you're not comfortable with it don't attempt it, you'll only get worse.
-Main someone else

And like WulfFla$h said, watch videos of excellent players like GERM or Lucien so you get an idea were Wolf's strengths and weaknesses lay.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
"Play Smarter" - ArcPoint
Exactly. Gheb has the idea. In order to be a pro.. you have to play... *Gasp* Smart!

Uhm... another thing would be to play safe, know all the options you have available to you, and know all the options the opponent has available to them.

Seriously, there isn't some special move that'll make you pro >_>

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
My motto I repeat to myself in my head when I play:

Think Faster, Act Faster, Move Faster, Be Faster

What it means:
Think Faster - Think quicker than your opponent. Know what he is going to do before he does it
Act Faster - Know how to appropriately punish your opponent. If you know he is going to airdodge to the ground, your best option is to Up Smash where he is going to land.
Move Faster - Position yourself in an advantageous position as quickly as possible after executing your action (act faster) while making sure your opponent stays in a disadvantageous position
Be Faster - Be quicker in general

The reason I adopted this motto, aside from its solidity, is that often times I've lost matches simply because I hesitated for too long or was too slow to shield grab or punish, for example.

"Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act." ~ Wolf O' Donnell

§witch

Smash Lord
My motto I repeat to myself in my head when I play:

Think Faster, Act Faster, Move Faster, Be Faster

What it means:
Think Faster - Think quicker than your opponent. Know what he is going to do before he does it
Act Faster - Know how to appropriately punish your opponent. If you know he is going to airdodge to the ground, your best option is to Up Smash where he is going to land.
Move Faster - Position yourself in an advantageous position as quickly as possible after executing your action (act faster) while making sure your opponent stays in a disadvantageous position
Be Faster - Be quicker in general

The reason I adopted this motto, aside from its solidity, is that often times I've lost matches simply because I hesitated for too long or was too slow to shield grab or punish, for example.

"Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act." ~ Wolf O' Donnell
This si the best advice in general you'll be likely to ever get. In brawl techskill (lol, nigh non-existant) isn't half as important as mindgames, and predicting.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
While I agree with Kash, that however aplies to ANY fighting videogame, hell it even aplies to ANY competitive thing in life.

I'm not saying it ain't true, it's probably the best advice you could give, but it's a bit too general for someone that want to know how to be good with "Wolf"; what I mean is that maybe (very probable actually) he/she is looking for something specific about Wolf to be able to master him.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
This si the best advice in general you'll be likely to ever get. In brawl techskill (lol, nigh non-existant) isn't half as important as mindgames, and predicting.
Yeah. Techskill isn't important at all. In Melee it was a much larger factor and mindgames and techskill were about 50/50, but in Brawl I'd say it's even 95/5 in mindgames favor.

While I agree with Kash, that however aplies to ANY fighting videogame, hell it even aplies to ANY competitive thing in life.

I'm not saying it ain't true, it's probably the best advice you could give, but it's a bit too general for someone that want to know how to be good with "Wolf"; what I mean is that maybe (very probable actually) he/she is looking for something specific about Wolf to be able to master him.
True.

However, you could not know how to play Wolf at all, but if you adapt that philosophy you can still be good and in time you'd learn through experience what works and what doesn't.

If he wants something to master in particular with Wolf...

Boost Smash and Wall of Wolf
That's about it... and zero lag Fair.

So... play smart, punish mistakes, space well, and pressure your opponent?

I dunno, my attempt at interpreting that lol.
More or less.

Maybe more like: out think your opponent, capitalize on mistakes as much as possible, get ready to repeat steps one and two, and stay in control of the match.

Don't get hit.
Best. Advice. Ever.

Not kidding. It's just a little more blunt... and he isn't the first to say it >.>

castorpollux

Smash Champion
..... are you kidding me? tech skill not important? Perfecting smash DI is key to high level play. Also, technical skill can allow wolf players to play him in a high speed/high pressure fashion unlike the slow campy defensive ones that I see everywhere. Also, don't get me started on how technical wolf's up+b can get and how useful boost smash can be.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I swear u guys act as if Boost Smash sux. I mean yeh its not ground breaking.. but neither is Sheiks, neither is Peaches wavepull turnip thingy, but these chars still utilize em. Its jus 1 more move 2 mix up into yur game. Basicly Im trying 2 say, theres no reason not 2 learn it..

Its great for tech chasing.
Good surprise attack.
And Ive even got a few unexpected KO's from it.

So yeh, its no infinite or nothing but I seriously think its worth mastering.. Its not even that hard n the 1st place.

As for tips, Id say jus space well is prolly best tip. Wolf isint a char thats suppose 2 b gettn shield grabbed.
Also, go ahead and learn LightStepping.
Lastly Id say, use back throw here and there. Its a little less expected and works pretty well at low-mid %s.

Every1 else pretty much covered all the general stuff, so yeh.. hopes that help.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
..... are you kidding me? tech skill not important? Perfecting smash DI is key to high level play. Also, technical skill can allow wolf players to play him in a high speed/high pressure fashion unlike the slow campy defensive ones that I see everywhere. Also, don't get me started on how technical wolf's up+b can get and how useful boost smash can be.
1. You obviously didn't play Melee or weren't good at it.

2. Smash DI isn't in this game.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Smash DI is in this game. Look it up; and please stop with the condescending talk, you aren't the "ken of wolf"

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I was merely pointing out that you're exaggerating the technical aspect in this game.

You can EASILY be the best and not be technical at all unless you play a character such as Ice Climbers or Diddy Kong.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I admit this game isn't as technical as melee, but you cannot be the best at this game without mastering the little technical aspects in this game. In order to DI out of pikachu/ROB's downsmash, you have to smash DI upwards. Hell, you can get out of half of Metaknight's attacks if you smash DI perfectly. Also, when it comes to non-multihit attacks, you have to DI to the corners of the screen while spamming the c-stick in the other direction. YOU WILL LIVE LONGER if you do this. Why do you think DSF's snake doesnt die til like 200%? Because of his godly DI

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Kasha, I think your missing what Castor is saying because you have not seen his play style. He plays a very technical style that works on a highly competitive level. I have not seen this technical aspect of Wolf from any of the other Wolfs on this board. This is probably why he feels that having a technical game is essential for higher level of play and for improving Wolf's metagame.

By the way, your Diddy Kong comparison is poor at best. Diddy is a lot less technical than wolf. I don't even see where he is technical at all, unless OMG…glide toss. Diddy's glide toss is among the easiest things to do. Just guessing, but I'd say it would take about a day to learn and integrate Diddy's glide toss into anyone's game and be just as competitive as any Wolf here.

Wolf on the other hand is a lot more technical. Just to name a few, DACUS, WoW, and glide tossing. From your videos, I see that you aren't proficient in any of these techniques, so from your perspective, sure, Wolf is not a technical character. But in order for a Wolf to stand level on a competitive stage, that person must have the technical skills to play Wolf at his best, and I think that’s all Castor wanted to say.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
First, I'd like to point out the theology of one doesn't have to be good at something to KNOW how to be good at it.

Now to clarify for those of you who may decide to misconstrue that: I'm not saying I'm not good at this game or you aren't good at the game or anything like that. I'm saying you can know about something without actually having experienced itself when it comes to certain things.

Point:
I admit this game isn't as technical as melee, but you cannot be the best at this game without mastering the little technical aspects in this game.
Counterpoint: There is a difference between being technical and simple techs. Just as how there is a difference between playing smart/mind games and knowing the functions of a character, and in that regard I mean, for example, you may know Snake's Forward Tilt does twenty-some-odd percent and it's range and your opponent likes to use it, but that doesn't mean squat if you can't play around that to your advantage.

It's comparable to saying someone is a good swimmer because they know all the different strokes and can do them, and then calling someone else just as good a swimmer when they have mastered breathing techniques, strokes, posture, etc. DI is very simple. Of course you're going to hold the control stick toward the stage to try and live. That's how the game is played. This doesn't make you technical.

Preemptive Retort: No, I'm not implying that that's what you were saying. I'm simply boiling it down to its more basic components.

Point:
In order to DI out of pikachu/ROB's downsmash, you have to smash DI upwards. Hell, you can get out of half of Metaknight's attacks if you smash DI perfectly.
Counterpoint: And in order not to get hit you shield... I fail to understand what message you're trying to get across. Not to mention it doesn't take much skill or practice at all to perform these feats. It's like saying the goal in swimming is not to drown.

Point:
Also, when it comes to non-multihit attacks, you have to DI to the corners of the screen while spamming the c-stick in the other direction. YOU WILL LIVE LONGER if you do this. Why do you think DSF's snake doesnt die til like 200%? Because of his godly DI
Counterpoint: Actually, that's not true. In order to best DI an attack you should hold the control stick (and the C-Stick if you please) perpendicular to what would otherwise be the trajectory of the attack, so for example the best DI you could perform against an attack that sends you straight up, 0/360 degrees, 12 o' clock, or whatever have you, would be perpendicular to it, in the same direction with both the control stick and c-stick. In this case control stick and c-stick to either the left or right, 3 o' clock, 9 o' clock, whatever.

Also, DSF's Snake doesn't die 'til 200% not simply because of good DI. There are so many variables that factor into which way an attack sends you, how far it will send you, etc that it's absurd to try and sum it up into one universal statement.

Point:
Kasha, I think your missing what Castor is saying because you have not seen his play style. He plays a very technical style that works on a highly competitive level. I have not seen this technical aspect of Wolf from any of the other Wolfs on this board. This is probably why he feels that having a technical game is essential for higher level of play and for improving Wolf's metagame.
Counterpoint: His play style is irrelevant. He could do nothing but Forward Smash and Blaster or he could be the best Wolf ever. It'd make no difference.

Being technical with Wolf consists of Boost Smashing and AC Fair. That's about it. You can master both of those in a good hour or less. This is not a technical game.

I'll use my Chess analogy again. Chess is arguably the most in-depth strategy game ever. There are technical aspects to it, like knowing the simple rules (which type of unit moves how), Rook and King switches, etc. You can be a master of this, but you will get no where if you don't strategize or aren't good at it.

Point:
By the way, your Diddy Kong comparison is poor at best. Diddy is a lot less technical than wolf. I don't even see where he is technical at all, unless OMG…glide toss. Diddy's glide toss is among the easiest things to do. Just guessing, but I'd say it would take about a day to learn and integrate Diddy's glide toss into anyone's game and be just as competitive as any Wolf here.
Counterpoint: Mmm. I like how you attack my usage of Diddy Kong, but ignore my comparison with Ice Climbers. Regards, it doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, you're making my point. Diddy Kong is considered a character with one of the more difficult learning curves. However, he is still just as un-technical as the next character. I wonder why? Perhaps this isn't a technical game. Yeah, that must be it.

Point:
Wolf on the other hand is a lot more technical. Just to name a few, DACUS, WoW, and glide tossing. From your videos, I see that you aren't proficient in any of these techniques, so from your perspective, sure, Wolf is not a technical character. But in order for a Wolf to stand level on a competitive stage, that person must have the technical skills to play Wolf at his best, and I think that’s all Castor wanted to say.
Counterpoint:
1. Wolf can't DACUS
2. Wall of Wolf isn't a technique it is a strategy
3. Wolf doesn't ever need to glide toss on competitive level unless he is playing Diddy Kong or Zero Suit Samus. Perhaps Peach as well.

Guess you better name some more because your examples are, "...poor at best."

Again, I don't need to be "technical" in order to know how to be. Also, one doesn't have to be "proficient" at these to be good, or even professional.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Counterpoint: There is a difference between being technical and simple techs. Just as how there is a difference between playing smart/mind games and knowing the functions of a character, and in that regard I mean, for example, you may know Snake's Forward Tilt does twenty-some-odd percent and it's range and your opponent likes to use it, but that doesn't mean squat if you can't play around that to your advantage.

It's comparable to saying someone is a good swimmer because they know all the different strokes and can do them, and then calling someone else just as good a swimmer when they have mastered breathing techniques, strokes, posture, etc. DI is very simple. Of course you're going to hold the control stick toward the stage to try and live. That's how the game is played. This doesn't make you technical.

Preemptive Retort: No, I'm not implying that that's what you were saying. I'm simply boiling it down to its more basic components.
L-cancelling, wavedashing, waveshining, shuffling, wavelanding, etc are all easy once you get used to it. I fail to see you're argument.

Counterpoint: And in order not to get hit you shield... I fail to understand what message you're trying to get across. Not to mention it doesn't take much skill or practice at all to perform these feats. It's like saying the goal in swimming is not to drown.
Okay play a good rob or pikachu without ever getting hit with either one of these attacks.

Counterpoint: Actually, that's not true. In order to best DI an attack you should hold the control stick (and the C-Stick if you please) perpendicular to what would otherwise be the trajectory of the attack, so for example the best DI you could perform against an attack that sends you straight up, 0/360 degrees, 12 o' clock, or whatever have you, would be perpendicular to it, in the same direction with both the control stick and c-stick. In this case control stick and c-stick to either the left or right, 3 o' clock, 9 o' clock, whatever.

Also, DSF's Snake doesn't die 'til 200% not simply because of good DI. There are so many variables that factor into which way an attack sends you, how far it will send you, etc that it's absurd to try and sum it up into one universal statement.
umm yeah everyhting u just said makes you DI to the corners of the screen which is exactly what I said.

Really? O_O
no, he just doesn't know what he's talking about

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
Stay on topic please...

If you want to be an efficent Wolf you have to rely on several factors:

-When you're off stage, try to DI as close to it as possible then up or side b rather than using it right away like several Snakes tend to do. This is because Wolf's recovery is quite bad and his up-b is very hard to aim correctly.

-Adjust your playstyle in order to combat against other more difficult styles. Wolf has a large reliance on his bair and spamming it isn't going to help you very much. Use the attack in a mix with various other approaches such as Shine and DACUS.

-Don't get grabbed. Wolf is very easy to chaingrab compared to the rest of the cast. For best resistance from getting grabbed, approach with aerials.

Then, I'll put up a list of how much a standard, non-spamming Wolf uses a certain move. It's shown by percentages.

Ground:
Jab: 15%
F-Tilt: 20%
F-Smash: 25%
U-Tilt: 5%
U-Smash: 15%
D-Tilt: 0%
D-Smash: 15%
Throws: 5%

Air:
N-Air: Varies on style. If you like combos then 10-15%. Anything else is a 0%
F-Air: 20%
U-Air: 10%
B-Air: 45-60%
D-Air: 5-15%

Specials:
Lazer: 70%
Flash: Recovery Only, but try to sweetspot it when the enemy is in range.
Fire Wolf: Recovery Only
Shine: 30%

Overall:
Ground: 25%
Air: 60%
Specials: 15%

You shouldn't display the exact usage for each move, this is merely an idea of what a Pro Wolf wants to see out of a Rookie Wolf. Instead, adjust each percentage according to your tastes but refrain from spamming with him at all times.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Kasha,
First lets define what being technical means. Lets use the dictionaries definition of "having special and usually practical knowledge," which I think works particularly well in this situation.

Being technical with Wolf consists of Boost Smashing and AC Fair. That's about it. You can master both of those in a good hour or less. This is not a technical game.
WoW, Spacing, Boost Glide Tossing (Important for Diddy matches)
The Modified WoW was developed to eliminate the flaws of the Traditional WoW. Basically, the Modified WoW is essential if wolf wants to play a high pressure game and not be punished. Just because you can pwn your noob friends with wolf's Fsmash and AC Fairs doesn't mean that that is all you need to know how to do with wolf. If you want to play wolf on a more competitive level, you need to develop a more technical game. This is where you note that Castors playstle is irrelevent to this point. I noted that he has one the best wolfs I've seen on this board and that is because of his technical game, not because he blasters 7-12 times in a row and then Fsmashes when his opponent approaches.

I'll use my Chess analogy again. Chess is arguably the most in-depth strategy game ever. There are technical aspects to it, like knowing the simple rules (which type of unit moves how), Rook and King switches, etc. You can be a master of this, but you will get no where if you don't strategize or aren't good at it.
Chess is lot more technical than just knowing the moves. Having a sound opening (which requires the study of multiple openings in depth as some are more book based and not based on opening theory) and complete understanding of positioning are key for higher level play. I'm basically saying that being good strategically shows that the player is more of a technical player.

Counterpoint: Mmm. I like how you attack my usage of Diddy Kong, but ignore my comparison with Ice Climbers. Regards, it doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, you're making my point. Diddy Kong is considered a character with one of the more difficult learning curves. However, he is still just as un-technical as the next character. I wonder why? Perhaps this isn't a technical game. Yeah, that must be it.
I only talked about Diddy because I know more about his game. I have seen KDJ's, Advent Lee's, and NinjaLink's Diddy so I know more of what a professional Diddy looks like. I have never seen or played against a good IC so I don't know what a good IC does besides CG and if Wolf spaces his Bairs well, he can not be grabbed, so I don't know what an IC would do against Wolf.
I don't know where you got the idea that Diddy has a difficult learning curve. His play style is almost like Sheiks in melee. Most of his attacks can chain into each other (Dash->Aerial,Dtilt->Ftilt,Dash->Utilt, banana dribbling, banana->smash/grab, etc.). And his bananas guarantee that the dash attack will hit making it all inescapable. Its almost like Shieks tilts in melee, and people complained how easy it was for anyone to play Sheik. So again, I said that picking up Diddy was easy and anyone could be proficient with him in like a day, but I couldn't say that for other characters so it logically follows that Diddy's learning curve is not as high as most characters.

1. Wolf can't DACUS
Whatever, I meant Boost Smash, I've been hearing them used interchangibly. The difference between them is negligible in this discussion.
2. Wall of Wolf isn't a technique it is a strategy
If you want to be that picky, its actually a tactic. The strategy might be to pressure the oppenent to the edge and knock them off the screen. The method of doing this would be WoW. But going back to what I said earlier, knowing how to use this tactic is part of being a technical wolf. And to avoid misinterpretations, I am not talking about the traditional WoW, I am talking about the Modified WoW.
3. Wolf doesn't ever need to glide toss on competitive level unless he is playing Diddy Kong or Zero Suit Samus. Perhaps Peach as well.
It must not be worth learning then.::Sarcasm:: Being technical also means that you need to be able to know what to do in certain character match-ups because it would be practical to know if you happen to face a good Diddy. Back to the chess analagy, you need to know more openings than you use in a single matchup, even if you play someone who plays Gioco Piano/Snake, doesn't mean that you don't need to be prepared against someone who plays Epine Dorsale/Diddy Kong. The idea is that in a tournament, you don't know who you are going to face, so you should be prepared to face any character your opponent utilizes.

Also, one doesn't have to be "proficient" at these to be good, or even professional.
Ok. Go ahead with this logic, your the best in the world because you know what the buttons do because not knowing how to strategize and use tactics in a matchup is not a requirement for being professional.

P.S. As you can see, I haven't really come up with more examples; all I have done is just defend my previous post by negating all of your criticisms, so next time you might want to use some sort of logical reasoning or cite some video that has merit (of high level of play) instead of using poor analogies if you want to prove your point.

Top Bottom